Jump to content
KJP

Cleveland: Ohio City: INTRO (Market Square / Harbor Bay Development)

Recommended Posts

Because I brightened it up and straightened it? WTF? 

  • Haha 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

and they’ve started pile driving! I’d post pics, but site is not allowing me to

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CleveFan said:

Nice!! Just imagine how good that shot is going to look in a couple years. 

Just some quick work on my phone, but it will look something like this.

BCD399A2-8530-4C78-BF81-2F9D363F40E8.jpeg.829c17a153b5f9cca99872bb8510ca65.jpg

  • Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, CleveFan said:

Nice!! Just imagine how good that shot is going to look in a couple years. 

 

Yes, I hope we can refer back to this photo by the fall of 2021 and admire the density, including the Stoneleigh apartment building in the background and possibly some for-sale units just beyond that.

  • Like 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My optimistic thinking has this stretch of Lorain being exactly where lower Detroit was a couple of years ago before Quarter. Two years and it'll be like night and day comparing the density in that view.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, KJP said:

 

Yes, I hope we can refer back to this photo by the fall of 2021 and admire the density, including the Stoneleigh apartment building in the background and possibly some for-sale units just beyond that.

 

You just love to slide little hints in!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ What is the purpose of those? I've seen them pounded into the ground in so many developments but they appear to be temporary and not part of the final structures.

 

Do they provide some kind of stability for the site?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

^ What is the purpose of those? I've seen them pounded into the ground in so many developments but they appear to be temporary and not part of the final structures.

 

Do they provide some kind of stability for the site?

 

The sheet piles hold the dirt back while they excavate and build the foundation. They keep the sidewalk from caving into the site. Once the foundation is built the piles are removed and the area between the sidewalk and foundation is filled in.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Frmr CLEder said:

^ What is the purpose of those? I've seen them pounded into the ground in so many developments but they appear to be temporary and not part of the final structures.

 

Do they provide some kind of stability for the site?

 

Yes. The sheet piling is intended to hold back the soil for the excavation for the underground parking.

 

edit: Mendo beat me to it. You can also see it used in the water e.g. at the north coast harbor pedestrian bridge project:

 

A5911A57-823F-43E9-B059-2981C5904ABB.jpeg

 

Picture from @NR

 

Edited by infrafreak
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An impressive  footprint -From that view, hopefully within a couple short years we’ll be able to see the top of the SW Tower peaking up behind the Federal Courthouse. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this just makes me so happy. its such a fantastic project. literally everyone in the region comes to the westside market, ohio city and tremont, at least on occasion, and this major new build on such a highly visible site will show everyone the clev is the place to be. its going to change some old school naysaying mindsets for sure, which is a nice side benefit.

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20200515_145541.thumb.jpg.aaeff66d82a3e3e3a844cd169494acfc.jpg20200515_145532.thumb.jpg.cb45d084c86b9e61ec3ef698ebaf762b.jpg20200515_143530.thumb.jpg.c36b6ea4aa31b44a6f06ace713723a8b.jpgSome more quick pics from today. 

 

It looks like they have about half of the two level basement garage already dug out.  

 

DIG BABY DIG!!

 

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll bet it's a real big swimming pool with all of the heavy rain today!

  • Like 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw this posted on Facebook, courtesy of Vargas Law Co.

 

Market Square-excavation-051920-Varga Law Co.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 12
  • Love 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More pics from today. 

 

And 20200522_151918.thumb.jpg.480a3eea1e19503b6031f772b393c3eb.jpg20200522_154507.thumb.jpg.7d6c2d860bcf523b5b22a3f7e512650e.jpgthey have about 75 % of the two level basement garage already dug out.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GISguy said:

Bout to ride my bike down that way I'll snap some pics 🙂 thanks @Larry1962

You are very wecome!

 

They seem to be making very GOOD PROGRESS so far! 

 

And just a reminder that with this project underway I'm hearing that the other three proposed projects near by are working hard to finish their plans and financing so that by the time they are finished in a year or two that the economy will be humming along and also that there will be plenty of renters and hopefully retail ready to fill these new and rehab projects:

 

Stoneleigh Cos. is preparing plans for a $60 million, 241-suite project at the west end of Hope Memorial Bridge.

 

Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority's authorized

mixed use development including public spaces with Carnegie Management and Development Corp. 

will include about 5 acres with air rights over GCRTA's Red Line at West 25 Street.

 

Voss Industries four acre property, which includes a 240,000 square foot building and about 200 car parking lot by R&L Ohio City LLC-Casto

residential conversion and redevelopment

of the historic industrial buildings.

 

AND THANKS TO KJP FOR INFORMATION from his always helpful NEOTRANS BLOG!

 

Edited by Larry1962
More details and typos
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just look at that pit they have going and all the foundation pilings they have installed already. they are really moving on knocking this out.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Story about this bldg in today's WSJ. I don't have a subscription so couldn't read most of it other than the first few lines.

 

Country’s Tallest Wooden Building Rising in Cleveland

Ambitious project proceeds despite coronavirus crisis

 

"In Cleveland, a developer is moving ahead with an ambitious project despite the pandemic: the country’s tallest wooden building. The nine-story development, dubbed Intro, will include 298 apartments, retail space and an event venue. It is being built primarily with mass timber, a type of pressed wood that is gaining popularity as a climate-friendly alternative to steel and concrete...."

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/countrys-tallest-wooden-building-rising-in-cleveland-11590494402

 

 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am soo pumped to watch this thing be framed. It's going to be quite a sight to see. The engineer in me is going to be slightly aroused every time I drive by this thing 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the risk of turning this into another retail thread (please don't), I see a Bank of America sign on the right side and the pharmacy sign on the left sure looks like a Walgreen's Pharmacy logo hidden behind the trees. The Pearl Street florist looks like a generic name.

 

EDIT: Just asked Dan Whalen about it. He said Bank of America is signed. The others are placeholders.

 

EDIT2: this view below is looking east showing the frontage along West 25th, so the corner of West 25th and Lorain is on the left.

 

Market Square-9story INTRO apartment building.jpg

Edited by KJP
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Pugu said:

Story about this bldg in today's WSJ. I don't have a subscription so couldn't read most of it other than the first few lines.

 

Country’s Tallest Wooden Building Rising in Cleveland

Ambitious project proceeds despite coronavirus crisis

 

"In Cleveland, a developer is moving ahead with an ambitious project despite the pandemic: the country’s tallest wooden building. The nine-story development, dubbed Intro, will include 298 apartments, retail space and an event venue. It is being built primarily with mass timber, a type of pressed wood that is gaining popularity as a climate-friendly alternative to steel and concrete...."

 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/countrys-tallest-wooden-building-rising-in-cleveland-11590494402

 

 

 

The bigger article talks about Hudson Bay liking mass timber for being lighter and easier to build, mentions that it will be the biggest timber building in the country until a 25-story proposal gets built in Milwaukee, and noted that materials are in short supply in the US necessitating importing the timber and flooring from Austria to Cleveland via Rotterdam and the Seaway.

 

E-version only?  It wasn't in today's print version that I got in DC. Is there still an East Coast edition? Maybe it is in the Midwestern edition. Or maybe it will show up on the property page that gets printed later in the week.

Edited by Dougal
Corrected typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Dougal said:

E-version only?  It wasn't in today's print version that I got in DC. Is there still an East Coast edition? Maybe it is in the Midwestern edition. Or maybe it will show up on the property page that gets printed later in the week.

 

Yesterday's Intro/Market Square E-version article appeared in today's Property Report page of the print-version of the  WSJ. Big piece, big picture, center page.  🙂

 

  • Like 6
  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dougal said:

 

Yesterday's Intro/Market Square E-version article appeared in today's Property Report page of the print-version of the  WSJ. Big piece, big picture, center page.  🙂

 

 

Print version? Great, that means were going to get a bunch of old people moving here..... 😉 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2020 at 10:37 AM, Pugu said:

Story about this bldg in today's WSJ. I don't have a subscription so couldn't read most of it other than the first few lines.

 

For you and everyone else, it's a pain in the butt, but you can access current WSJ articles through the newspaper database if you have a Cuyahoga County Public Library card (probably CPL as well, not sure). I use it for the occasional article I really want to read on WSJ, this one included.

 

https://cuyahogalibrary.org/Research/Resources.aspx  - click newspapers and scroll to WSJ

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, mu2010 said:

 

For you and everyone else, it's a pain in the butt, but you can access current WSJ articles through the newspaper database if you have a Cuyahoga County Public Library card (probably CPL as well, not sure). I use it for the occasional article I really want to read on WSJ, this one included.

 

https://cuyahogalibrary.org/Research/Resources.aspx  - click newspapers and scroll to WSJ

 

ooo you're able to direct link: https://search-proquest-com.eresources.cuyahogalibrary.org/wallstreetjournal/docview/2406797688/10D3316DB42241D3PQ/1?accountid=3355 it'll still prompt for a login but here yinz go. Thanks mu for this

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No prob. Also for what it's worth, CCPL's New York Times subscription is even better, you get basically unlimited access to the NYT website, with the only downside being you have to renew your access through the library website every couple days.

Edited by mu2010
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...