jjakucyk

Cincinnati: Columbia Parkway

Cranley: Parts of Columbia Pkwy. could be closed for 2 years
https://www.wcpo.com/news/local-news/hamilton-county/cincinnati/cranley-city-manager-to-talk-columbia-pkwy-landslides
Parts of Columbia Parkway could be closed for the next two years in order to stop recurring landslides, Mayor John Cranley said at a Wednesday news conference.  

"Officials will also consider reconfiguring Riverside Drive to accommodate for the loss of capacity along Columbia Parkway."  Translation, remove the bike lanes and parking.  

On 3/27/2019 at 7:09 PM, jmecklenborg said:

This is just the sort of political fight that Cranley loves. 

I predict that our car-focused DOTE will use this as an excuse to remove the on-street bike lanes from Riverside Drive with no provision for putting them back when the Central Parkway work is done. And when a council members proposes putting them back, Cranley will say that City Council wants to take money away from cops and firefighters to fund bike lanes.

The same mayor that claims to be pro-bike and recently supported the creation on a new "Pedestrian Safety Task Force". And then turns around and tries to cancel bike lanes and road diets. What a clown.

1 hour ago, taestell said:

Reversible lanes coming back to Cincinnati? (Albeit temporarily.)

Well Columbia Pkwy use to have the middle lane go both directions depending on time of day. I know that there were issues later down the road with people not reading the light up signage, but it made things nicer to have three lanes out of the city for evening rush hour. 

Cincinnati used to have reversible lanes on several major streets across the city, and to my knowledge, all of them have been eliminated except for the one on the Clay Wade Bailey bridge. I can see why the city wanted to eliminate these "suicide lanes," but something like the Road Zipper pictured above would be perfect for streets like Central Parkway that have a small number of lanes and different peak directions during morning/evening rush hours. If they install one of these machines during construction, I hope they consider keeping it around permanently. That way Central Parkway would have 3 lanes in peak direction and 2 in off-peak, rather than having a fixed 3 lanes eastbound and 2 lanes westbound between Downtown and Columbia-Tusculum.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, taestell said:

Cincinnati used to have reversible lanes on several major streets across the city, and to my knowledge, all of them have been eliminated except for the one on the Clay Wade Bailey bridge. I can see why the city wanted to eliminate these "suicide lanes," but something like the Road Zipper pictured above would be perfect for streets like Central Parkway that have a small number of lanes and different peak directions during morning/evening rush hours. If they install one of these machines during construction, I hope they consider keeping it around permanently. That way Central Parkway would have 3 lanes in peak direction and 2 in off-peak, rather than having a fixed 3 lanes eastbound and 2 lanes westbound between Downtown and Columbia-Tusculum.

Only ones I can remember from childhood  with the "suicide lane", were Columbia Pkwy, Beechmont Levy and up Beechmont Hill,  and Queen City Ave.

Edited by savadams13

I think Hopple Street had one too, but just the few blocks between the viaduct and I-75.  The lower deck of the Western Hills Viaduct also had a reversible lane.  Did Kellogg ever have one between Salem and I-275?  It's one of those odd 2-lanes inbound, 1-lane outbound setups today. 

Yes, Hopple St. did have one before they tore down the original Camp Washington Chili. 

I wish I had gotten pictures of all of them.  They were all taken out in the 90s.  I think they used old green trolley poles for a bunch of it.  It definitely looked "local", the whole set-up.  Like the same place that made the little yellow helmet lights made all of the reversible lane signs. 

I-95 in Boston has one of those zipper barriers south of downtown and for about 5-8 miles. 

2 hours ago, OldBearcat said:

Queen City Avenue used to have them after the one-ways joined, up thru Gehrum Ave

A trip across the lower deck of the Western Hills Viaduct, then up the Queen City Hill, was a once one of the most interesting drives to be had through an American city.  With the old railroad trestle torn down, the removal of the reversal lanes, and now so many demolitions for the Lick Run Project, it's pretty wimpy. 

In late evening vote, council funds Columbia Parkway fixes

In a rare, late-evening session, the Cincinnati City Council on Wednesday funded $17 million in repairs to Columbia Parkway. The fixes should last for the next three decades.

The compromise reached by council and Mayor John Cranley spent all of the money available for a new District 5 police station, which means the city will start from scratch in terms of financing that project.

Under ordinances passed Wednesday, the city will take the $9.4 million in cash it has available for District 5 and instead spend it on Columbia Parkway. It will also borrow $7.6 million backed by a 1-mill property tax increase for debt service passed by council in 2018.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/24/in-late-evening-vote-council-funds-columbia.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

They should just eliminate the third eastbound lane and have two lanes in and two lanes out with a median in the middle. Driving in the inner lanes of Columbia Parkway is a harrowing experience and it is surprising there aren't more head-on collisions. Plus, I drove it out to Lunken yesterday during rush hour and there was a bit of delay but it really was not bad at all. The only choke points were at the stop lights, which has always happened anyway. People fly through Columbia-Tusculum like it's a highway when in reality it is the neighborhood business district. We should narrow the roadway to make people actually go 25 through there. 

35 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

They should just eliminate the third eastbound lane and have two lanes in and two lanes out with a median in the middle. Driving in the inner lanes of Columbia Parkway is a harrowing experience and it is surprising there aren't more head-on collisions.

My drive to/from work involves Columbia Parkway (or preferrably Riverside) and I'd totally be on board with dropping the westbound lane next to the retaining wall between Kemper and Taft/Torrence.  This also happens to be the location of most of the landslides.  However, I would not support the removal of the 3rd lane (next to the wall) westbound before Taft/Torrence since it does a good job of collecting the cars that will be turning off of Columbia Parkway to head up to Uptown/Walnut Hills on Taft.  This seems to allow for better flowing traffic through the Taft/Torrence intersection.  This lane could be made a right turn only lane anyway since that seems to be how it is mainly used, which would allow the removal of the 3rd lane after the intersection.

Also, I too am amazed there aren't more terrible crashes on Columbia Parkway, especially since most people are essentially driving at highway speeds (regularly get passed by people who have to be going at least 65 MPH) on a road that is generously signed as 45 MPH.

My guess why they haven't added a median is because having the blunt end of a jersey barrier facing oncoming traffic is super dangerous, and you'd have that condition at Delta, Torrence/Taft, Kemper, and then somewhere on the 5th Street Vidaduct.  They'd probably want to do something like this where it comes into Fairfax https://goo.gl/maps/QbtQ7ka2HiVdhs39A instead of the "hit me" target at Dead Man's Curve https://goo.gl/maps/r4bfi2xMNmzz7Pua6.  Also, when there are landslides, they wouldn't be able to shift the lanes around with cones like they did over the past few weeks.  I'm surprised they haven't finished cleaning up the mess yet (they chopped down and chipped up all the trees and just left the chips in a pile against the retaining wall), but that's probably a political move to keep the lanes closed and have people complaining so they can do more news stories. 

As to why there aren't more crashes, it's probably because the road is scary enough to force drivers to pay more attention.  I think I heard that Columbia Parkway is no more crash prone than any typical city street, so the tight lanes and close passes are probably doing some good.  It's like "put a big metal spike on every car steering wheel and people would drive much safer."  http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/tullock_spike

Edited by jjakucyk

18 minutes ago, jjakucyk said:

My guess why they haven't added a median is because having the blunt end of a jersey barrier facing oncoming traffic is super dangerous, and you'd have that condition at Delta, Torrence/Taft, Kemper, and then somewhere on the 5th Street Vidaduct.  They'd probably want to do something like this where it comes into Fairfax https://goo.gl/maps/QbtQ7ka2HiVdhs39A instead of the "hit me" target at Dead Man's Curve https://goo.gl/maps/r4bfi2xMNmzz7Pua6.  Also, when there are landslides, they wouldn't be able to shift the lanes around with cones like they did over the past few weeks.  I'm surprised they haven't finished cleaning up the mess yet (they chopped down and chipped up all the trees and just left the chips in a pile against the retaining wall), but that's probably a political move to keep the lanes closed and have people complaining so they can do more news stories. 

As to why there aren't more crashes, it's probably because the road is scary enough to force drivers to pay more attention.  I think I heard that Columbia Parkway is no more crash prone than any typical city street, so the tight lanes and close passes are probably doing some good.  It's like "put a big metal spike on every car steering wheel and people would drive much safer."  http://www.weirduniverse.net/blog/comments/tullock_spike

Surely there are less crashes because it feels super dangerous, but when there is a crash they are automatically super deadly. And honestly I'd say a painted median would be just fine. Just put a few more feet between me and the car coming 65 mph in my direction. 

21 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

Surely there are less crashes because it feels super dangerous, but when there is a crash they are automatically super deadly.

It's only the crossover/oncoming collisions that are going to be worse.  I'd imagine rear-ending is the typical incident, or possibly bad lane changes and sideswipes, and those are probably less-bad than on an interstate highway. 

25 minutes ago, jjakucyk said:

It's only the crossover/oncoming collisions that are going to be worse.  I'd imagine rear-ending is the typical incident, or possibly bad lane changes and sideswipes, and those are probably less-bad than on an interstate highway. 

Right. I specifically meant the potential to have a head on collision. 

I wonder if the potential for increased head-on collisions is somewhat, if not entirely offset by the fact that the road is noticeably dangerous. I think people are inclined to pay more attention when the danger is so perceivable. I'm always a little more alert on Columbia Parkway than I typically am elsewhere. Knowing opposing traffic at 50MPH is 2 or 3 feet away has that effect.