Columbus: Downtown: Capitol Square Developments and News

15 hours ago, Gnoraa said:

Of my friends who work in the biz, sewer and sanitation lines have been a huge draw back, if not the largest.  Half of the projects that have been approved have had to take on their own ability to build in retainer sanitation options within their building, more than normal, simply because Columbus's system would get backed up and cannot handle the influx.  This is becoming embarrassing in my opinion that we are falling so far behind at this point.  We all want larger buildings and projects to be proud of and enhance our city, and people see a shiny new rendering and get all excited, but the reality is there is so much impact buildings of that size impose to our systems, and we are seriously ill-equipped to take on the extra load right now.  I'm a huge huge huge champion and defender of Columbus and want the best for our city, but the more inside information I get the more frustrated I am with lack of sight for the future, mostly from the lack and delay in infrastructure investment.  Lets not forget most things in the last decade or more were taxed abated so there's not much money coming in to help anyways.  I think many people focus on the "pretty" aspect of skyscrapers however fail to actually understand the level of "hidden" and messy infrastructure that needs to occur behind the shiny glass curtain.

Did the massive sewer project from a few years ago not help in addressing this at all? I'm genuinely curious because I know nothing about the specifics. 

https://www.columbusunderground.com/underground-tunnel-columbus

Edited by cbussoccer

16 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Did they massive sewer project from a few years ago not help in addressing this at all? I'm genuinely curious because I know nothing about the specifics. 

From my understanding, as large as this project was, it was only to "catch up" to what was already so far behind, it still is not large enough to take on the size of projects we would like.  This project was to take on the overflowing sewage that was going into the Scioto River.  If you've ever taken a walk through Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, etc......I'm sure you've smelled the massive amounts of sewer gas.  It's not as frequent as it used to be but still exists.  This project was to help eliminate that.  As my friend called it once, it was a giant "sniffer". haha

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gnoraa said:

From my understanding, as large as this project was, it was only to "catch up" to what was already so far behind, it still is not large enough to take on the size of projects we would like.  This project was to take on the overflowing sewage that was going into the Scioto River.  If you've ever taken a walk through Victorian Village, Short North, Italian Village, etc......I'm sure you've smelled the massive amounts of sewer gas.  It's not as frequent as it used to be but still exists.  This project was to help eliminate that.  As my friend called it once, it was a giant "sniffer". haha

So what you are saying is we need to dig another giant tunnel, and while we are at it we might as well dig out a tunnel for a subway as well? I like that plan!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

So what you are saying is we need to dig another giant tunnel, and while we are at it we might as well dig out a tunnel for a subway as well? I like that plan!

Haha, I'm not sure we will ever get a full on subway but I agree, transit upgrades are a must in the future.  But additional sewer and utility infrastructure is very much needed if we are going to grow and grow well.

Do you guys really think that a mid or a high-rise will be built on this land? Them selecting Elford as their development partner pretty much says exactly what they're looking to build on this parcel of land; another 5 story max mixed use development. Picking Elford essentially guarantees we see the exact same thing that is being built at the white castle headquarters, Jeffrey park, Harrison west, etc. They're about as innovative as Nationwide when it comes to 'groundbreaking' developments...

Edited by Mateo
Added comment

14 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

The overflow tunnel does not improve the infrastructure to allow for greater density. That still needs to be done at the street level. It only comes into play during significant rainy.  Ideally, if the proper upgrades are done at the street level, the overflow tunnel becomes less important. (I.e. blueprint columbus)  We could build 3 or 5 or 10 of them and it won't help get more density where its needed. Water and sewage main upgrades are what's most important. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mateo said:

Do you guys really think that a mid or a high-rise will be built on this land? Them selecting Elford as their development partner pretty much says exactly what they're looking to build on this parcel of land; another 5 story max mixed use development. Picking Elford essentially guarantees we see the exact same thing that is being built at the white castle headquarters, Jeffrey park, Harrison west, etc. They're about as innovative as Nationwide when it comes to 'groundbreaking' developments...

Isn't Elford at the mercy of those financing the development? White Castle was never going to pony up the cash to build a high rise at that location. They've also done their urban projects mostly in the Short North where they couldn't go very high. Obviously it's a risk going with a company that hasn't built high, but it also doesn't mean they won't try. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Isn't Elford at the mercy of those financing the development? White Castle was never going to pony up the cash to build a high rise at that location. They've also done their urban projects mostly in the Short North where they couldn't go very high. Obviously it's a risk going with a company that hasn't built high, but it also doesn't mean they won't try. 

But I think it's telling on what their intentions are. If I'm looking to do build a new oil refinery, you can bet I'm not selecting a contractor that historically only does office buildings for example. 

Now if they selected someone like turner construction or brasfield & gorrie; then we would reasonably expect something relatively 'big'

Edited by Mateo

On 10/16/2019 at 8:28 AM, Gnoraa said:

They have kicked the can down the road in so many departments and now are not prepared for what should be a proud and exciting boom for this city

The city has seemed ripe for a boom in the past couple years.  So, are you saying that we absolutely aren't going to see the exciting boom that we've been waiting for because of these issues?

10 minutes ago, Mateo said:

But I think it's telling on what their intentions are. If I'm looking to do build a new oil refinery, you can bet I'm not selecting a contractor that historically only does office buildings for example. 

Now if they selected someone like turner construction or brasfield & gorrie; then we would reasonably expect something relatively 'big'

That's a bit of a drastic comparison. 

14 hours ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Are cities like Austin experiencing these same issues?  I've read in online threads that people in Austin actively fought against urbanisation for years, but I don't know how true that actually is.  Are they experiencing these same kinds of infrastructure problems with their development as well?

I've always heard that Austin has horrible NIMBYism, seemingly to a much worse degree than Columbus.  That seems to be the biggest issue with their development.  I haven't heard too much about infrastructure problems except for traffic. Despite those issues, though, they get so much more development than Columbus.  Admittedly, the region has been growing faster than Columbus, but actual city growth is much more comparable to Columbus, especially in the last 5 years or so.

1 hour ago, cbussoccer said:

Did the massive sewer project from a few years ago not help in addressing this at all? I'm genuinely curious because I know nothing about the specifics. 

I think that was just to prevent sewer backups from draining directly into the Scioto River, and it was EPA mandated, not really something Columbus leadership pushed for on their own.  This project didn't really do anything to change the situation in most neighborhoods.  

15 minutes ago, Mateo said:

Elford actually has done some pretty large projects. They are the team behind the A&F campus, LeVeque Renovations, Dublin Methodist Hospital, and Millennial (if it were to be built). They're a pretty diverse company. Either way, they aren't the architecture firm on deck, they are just the leasing and construction for the project so we may see something outside of their norm. Remember, they are a local developer so unless there are towers/big things being built locally, they won't be doing those sorts of projects. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Elford actually has done some pretty large projects. They are the team behind the A&F campus, LeVeque Renovations, Dublin Methodist Hospital, and Millennial (if it were to be built). They're a pretty diverse company. Either way, they aren't the architecture firm on deck, they are just the leasing and construction for the project so we may see something outside of their norm. Remember, they are a local developer so unless there are towers/big things being built locally, they won't be doing those sorts of projects. 

My point still remains the same - none of those projects required Elford to build something larger than 4-5 stories. There's a reason that larger projects such as hilton 2, the joseph,  etc haven't selected Elford.

1 hour ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

IS this a problem that's unique to Columbus?  I would have a hard time believing we're the only ones dealing with these issues.

Cincinnati has spent hundreds of millions on sewer improvements in the past 15 years. The work wasn't necessarily in the CBD but not far away. They wiped out an entire hillside in Westwood.

Fun fact: I was literally walking across the intersection of Broad and 3rd for my lunch break today, looking at the exact area in question being proposed, and I smelled.....sewage, lol.

(I laugh out of sadness now).

Yeah I guess there might be something to this inhibition to our growth. At least anecdotally  ?

1 minute ago, Zyrokai said:

Fun fact: I was literally walking across the intersection of Broad and 3rd for my lunch break today, looking at the exact area in question being proposed, and I smelled.....sewage, lol.

Yeah I guess there might be something to this inhibition to our growth. At least anecdotally  ?

Let's just start a campaign to get people in Columbus to eat way less fiber.  We'll block the problem at the source and relieve our overloaded sewage infrastructure.  Problem solved.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zyrokai said:

I've smelled sewage multiple times in Manhattan. No more 1,000+ foot skyscrapers for them!

That is pretty funny though lol

On 10/15/2019 at 8:00 PM, jonoh81 said:

I admittedly do complain about projects a lot, but I think for good reason.  The BF article just reinforces some of the obvious problems I and others have been talking about over the years- the city is not preparing well enough for a significant population increase.  The individual project complaints are easy targets, but the issues are deeper than that and I don't think it helps anything to gloss over them.  I love Columbus and it is a great city.  That reality doesn't mean there are no areas where it can't and shouldn't improve.  

Well I guess maybe I am just expecting too much given the amount of population growth the region is having. This particular site is to me like the Nichols(or whatever it is)along HIgh was to you-one of the most prime sites in the CBD.

I love Columbus and it is a great city.  That reality doesn't mean there are no areas where it can't and shouldn't improve.  

I agree and generally I respond favorably and have defended this city for decades, but I can get a bit frustrated with development, and it came out in this thread. I just hope whatever we get at this site is dense and is built with a good design and with quality materials. I need to remind myself that, although I think this is a really important site, there are plenty of other sites in the CBD and there are bigger fish to fry really when it comes to the city as many people have pointed out in this thread.

*I may have responded harshly regarding this site and in my comments and I do apologize to those involved. 

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WagHills said:

Could JP Morgan and Chase possibly move its world HQ here? Prime location!

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-10-28/jpmorgan-weighs-shifting-thousands-of-jobs-out-of-new-york-area

Unfortunately I doubt it as they are still going to build a 1400 foot plus skyscraper on Park Avenue. https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232215&page=73

The article confirms they are still building the new headquarters building in NYC. Hopefully we get some of those jobs leaving though-just hope they are not in Delaware County.

37 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Unfortunately I doubt it as they are still going to build a 1400 foot plus skyscraper on Park Avenue. https://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=232215&page=73

The article confirms they are still building the new headquarters building in NYC. Hopefully we get some of those jobs leaving though-just hope they are not in Delaware County.

Maybe the peninsula?

So , If I remember correctly the proposed Capital Tower at Third and State was to be anchored by the law firm of Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease  that is currently located on Gay Street, they had originally decided to take 200,000 thousand square feet, Bank One also had committed to lease 200,000 square feet, which would have been half of the  available footage.

After all of these years maybe Vorys will decide again to relocate and  maybe Chase will decide to relocate some of the New York staff here.

Its to bad that downtown has lost 2 major Corporate HQs this year. Ohio Health and CoverMyMeds. I don't think Ginther is pulling is weight.  Another 37 story tower was proposed to replace the Beggs Building in the late 80s. The building was later renovated and expanded to become the 5/3 Center. I've looked for  renderings of that tower but can't find them. I remember it was a Classic Art Deco design named 21State Street.

8 minutes ago, Rowntowner said:

So , If I remember correctly the proposed Capital Tower at Third and State was to be anchored by the law firm of Vorys, Sater, Seymour and Pease  that is currently located on Gay Street, they had originally decided to take 200,000 thousand square feet, Bank One also had committed to lease 200,000 square feet, which would have been half of the  available footage.

After all of these years maybe Vorys will decide again to relocate and  maybe Chase will decide to relocate some of the New York staff here.

Its to bad that downtown has lost 2 major Corporate HQs this year. Ohio Health and CoverMyMeds. I don't think Ginther is pulling is weight.  Another 37 story tower was proposed to replace the Beggs Building in the late 80s. The building was later renovated and expanded to become the 5/3 Center. I've looked for  renderings of that tower but can't find them. I remember it was a Classic Art Deco design named 21State Street.

CoverMyMeds is just going to Franklinton, which although not Downtown, is still very much in the urban core and as close as you can get without actually being Downtown.  Franklinton needs the help more than Downtown does.  

Edited by jonoh81
  • Thanks 1

With that Sherwin Williams new HQ space right on Public Square per the article from KJP,  I really hope they go big here too on the last spot on the statehouse square. Hotel, residential, office, etc.-just something worthy of that last spot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

With that Sherwin Williams new HQ space right on Public Square per the article from KJP,  I really hope they go big here too on the last spot on the statehouse square. Hotel, residential, office, etc.-just something worthy of that last spot.

Did they confirm that they are "going big"?  KJP has said multiple times that they have no interest in building an iconic tower and it is even in that most recent article he wrote.  They are going for a campus setting on the Public Square and Weston lots.  Many of them in that thread are still concerned that they'll waste the Public Square lot with a smaller build.

But if they do the 1.8 million sq feet in a campus setting, we'll literally be having the same thing being built on the Peninsula at the same time, and possibly more considering the Peninsula project is 2million sq feet of office space ON TOP of the residential and retail.  It will be interesting to see if SHW goes mixed use.

Edited by TH3BUDDHA
  • Like 1

Just now, TH3BUDDHA said:

Did they confirm that they are "going big"?  KJP has said multiple times that they have no interest in building an iconic tower and it is even in that most recent article he wrote.  They are going for a campus setting on the Public Square and Weston lots.  Many of them in that thread are still concerned that they'll waste the Public Square lot with a smaller build.

But if they do the 1.8 million sq feet in a campus setting, we'll literally be having the same thing being built on the Peninsula at the same time.

Well that is 1.8 million square feet plus 2,000 parking spaces on only three parcels totaling about six acres so I think there will be some height. "Going Big" in this case does not mean a supertall lol, but just another skyscraper to join the rest around the square here-as in not just 12-15 floors max. 

And yes I am pleased with the buildout that we should be getting on the peninsula as well. I am just going to be optimistic here. Why not? And of course just filling in those surface lots will be great. I just hope we get something really nice and appropriate here. 

25 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Well that is 1.8 million square feet plus 2,000 parking spaces on only three parcels totaling about six acres so I think there will be some height. "Going Big" in this case does not mean a supertall lol, but just another skyscraper to join the rest around the square here-as in not just 12-15 floors max. 

And yes I am pleased with the buildout that we should be getting on the peninsula as well. I am just going to be optimistic here. Why not? And of course just filling in those surface lots will be great. I just hope we get something really nice and appropriate here. 

Yep, I didn't mean to come off snarky.  Just that I can't really tell what IS and IS NOT confirmed in that thread.  Some people were talking about rumors of a 650' tower being announced today and then KJP is saying no iconic tower.  Hard to tell.  I guess I'll just wait for the official announcement from SHW.

And just wanted to point out that we have a lot of excitement coming as well.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Yep, I didn't mean to come off snarky.  Just that I can't really tell what IS and IS NOT confirmed in that thread.  Some people were talking about rumors of a 650' tower being announced today and then KJP is saying no iconic tower.  Hard to tell.  I guess I'll just wait for the official announcement from SHW.

And just wanted to point out that we have a lot of excitement coming as well.

Well I think with the land they are working with and the amount of space they need I think they will have to go big(at least 100 meters)somewhere to get 1.8 million square feet of office space plus 2,000 parking spaces on just those three parcels. I never mentioned anything about height or those rumors. Who knows? I just hope the architecture and design is good, they get something really nice, and it is very pedestrian friendly and interconnected to the areas around it.

And I hope we get something similar(not necessarily 1.8 million square feet lol)but just something with some height and variety-I just hate the surface parking lots on the statehouse square.

And yes, we are having all kinds of things to follow-The Stadium and village, North Market Tower, the new Hilton Tower, Gravity 2, the 12 story proposal farther down Rich in East Franklinton, Whatever will be built on the final empty spot on McPherson Commons, The Peninsula build out, etc. etc.

* I am also just pleased that an Ohio city in not losing a HQ to some sunbelt city like Atlanta or Dallas or Austin.  And maybe this happening in Cleveland will push Cbus to try to go a bit bigger...you never know right?  ?

Edited by Toddguy
  • Like 3

54 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

I think filling in the parking lots in both locations is a win for Cleveland and Columbus. 

The Public Square development has been a rumor for 20+ years in Cleveland and the Peninsula in Columbus for 10+ years.   Overall the 3 C's have a ton to be proud of when it comes to urban development. 

Really wish NCR and GE would've stepped up at the Banks a decade ago; NCR just moving to Cincinnati versus Atlanta would've been a huge win for SW Ohio.  Their HQ in Atlanta is very impressive!

https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/ncr-world-headquarters

Edited by wpcc88
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, wpcc88 said:

I think filling in the parking lots in both locations is a win for Cleveland and Columbus. 

The Public Square development has been a rumor for 20+ years in Cleveland and the Peninsula in Columbus for 10+ years.   Overall the 3 C's have a ton to be proud of when it comes to urban development. 

Really wish NCR and GE would've stepped up at the Banks a decade ago; NCR just moving to Cincinnati versus Atlanta would've been a huge win for SW Ohio.  Their HQ in Atlanta is very impressive!

https://www.architectmagazine.com/project-gallery/ncr-world-headquarters

Being from Dayton looking at those NCR pictures really stings... 

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, 17thState said:

Being from Dayton looking at those NCR pictures really stings... 

I hear ya, not from Dayton but I can about the Buckeye state as a whole, I go past it frequently in Atlanta and often think what might have been.

• 1 month later...

downtown-broad-street-buildings-01-620x3

https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-the-hayden-bw1

The Hayden - which is the renovation of two historic Capitol Square buildings (the 13-story building at 16 E. Broad Street built in 1901 and the 4-story building at 20 E. Broad Street built in 1869) - has been silently proceeding, according to this report from CU.

Michael Tomko, President of the Tomko Company, said that the project is now about 40 percent leased.  Tomko also said that an agreement is now in place to lease the ground floor of 20 E. Broad Street – a prominent space that featuring large windows facing both Broad Street and Pearl Alley.

CU has a photo tour of the building's interior currently in the process of renovation at https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-the-hayden-bw1

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I don't think the Dispatch property project will be a significant tower.

‒ Capitol Square. The Dispatch Printing Company and Elford Development expect to present details soon for a redevelopment of the last large vacant parcel around the Statehouse. The team plans to build several buildings on the east side of South 3rd Street north of East State Street that would include residences, parking and offices.

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20200113/construction-projects-poised-to-transform-central-ohio-this-year

7 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I don't think the Dispatch property project will be a significant tower.

https://www.dispatch.com/business/20200113/construction-projects-poised-to-transform-central-ohio-this-year

I don't think that quote really give us any indication one way or the other. I doubt we will get a "significant tower" (i.e. 30+ stories) but I don't think it's out of the question for us to end up with at least one ~20 story building. Even something in the 15-20 story range would have quite the impact. 

One component that could certainly drive up the height would be hotel use. I'm surprised we haven't heard anything about them trying to incorporate some hotel use given the centralized location of the lots and the need for hotel rooms in the downtown vicinity. Getting a someone like Marriott or Hilton to sign on using one of their boutique brands could easily give us a 10-story bump in terms of height. 

From https://www.reddit.com/r/Columbus/comments/emdatx/safety_first_in_downtown_cbus/

Rhodes Tower renovation project still going on!

2025602671_Screenshot2020-11-30at3_16_57PM.png.6c5c8672fe0206faf9dc0e565f2a3a37.png

EDIT: The original image of the Gov. Rhodes statue wearing a safety vest was deleted from the linked reddit thread. So here's an updated image of the statue wearing a safety vest, plus a mask because of covid(!)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Rhodes Tower Modernization Project has a website:

https://das.ohio.gov/Divisions/General-Services/Properties-and-Facilities/Rhodes/Rhodes-Modernization

On it they have some drone photos from January 5th. This project isn’t very interesting, but the drone photos show a lot of other projects around downtown.

Here you can see the completed Canopy Hilton, the Ohio Center garage and bridge to the Hilton expansion, and in the very lower right you can see the Schottenstein project by the Budget Car Rental:

49362586593_a3cc717d87_o.jpg

Here you can see Sixth Street Mews II, The Pierce, the Topiary Park townhomes, the library apartments, Xander on State, and the lots for the Dispatch property, plus the PNC building to be renovated:

49363048486_87416a1586_o.jpg

Here you can see The Nicholas, The Citizens Building, the Long Street microapartments building, the YMCA to be vacated, the NVMM, Gravity 1.0, and in the very upper right the lot for Parks Edge III:

49363259522_6050c7d47e_o.jpg

Here you can see The Reach on Goodale/White Castle HQ, Harrison West projects, Grandview Yard, the Chipotle lot, and in the very upper right the cleared Founders Park:

49363047691_30b2629a29_o.jpg

• Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 7:30 PM, Columbo said:

downtown-broad-street-buildings-01-620x3

https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-the-hayden-bw1

The Hayden - which is the renovation of two historic Capitol Square buildings (the 13-story building at 16 E. Broad Street built in 1901 and the 4-story building at 20 E. Broad Street built in 1869) - has been silently proceeding, according to this report from CU.

Michael Tomko, President of the Tomko Company, said that the project is now about 40 percent leased.  Tomko also said that an agreement is now in place to lease the ground floor of 20 E. Broad Street – a prominent space that featuring large windows facing both Broad Street and Pearl Alley.

CU has a photo tour of the building's interior currently in the process of renovation at https://www.columbusunderground.com/project-update-the-hayden-bw1

The rooftop patio was being framed out when the drone photos of Rhodes Tower were taken on January 5th:

49362586378_e71b3ca406_o.jpg

Hayden-1.jpg

Hayden-featured-1150x550.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

MODERATOR NOTE:  The Dispatch just posted an article about the status of various development projects around Columbus and Central Ohio.  The status of some of these projects have already been posted in other threads.  For those projects that haven't already been updated, I'll post an update from the article in the appropriate thread.

Hate to bum everyone out, but here's an update for the potentially huge Dispatch-properties project facing Capitol Square from the below linked article:

https://www.thisweeknews.com/business/20200523/some-major-columbus-development-projects-on-hold-while-others-move-forward

One of the largest projects on hold is a mixed-used development on the northeast corner of East State and South 3rd streets across from the Statehouse.

“At this point, we have paused our development efforts,” said Chris Ruess, president and CEO of Capitol Square, which was developing the site with Elford Development.

“We have taken our foot off the proverbial pedal to see where this situation leads us. But we remain prepared and eager to quickly move forward when current market disruptions subside.”

Offices, which made up a key part of the Capitol Square project, are facing enormous uncertainty as companies wrestle with the long-term implications of working from home.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 7:40 PM, Columbo said:

MODERATOR NOTE:  The Dispatch just posted an article about the status of various development projects around Columbus and Central Ohio.  The status of some of these projects have already been posted in other threads.  For those projects that haven't already been updated, I'll post an update from the article in the appropriate thread.

Hate to bum everyone out, but here's an update for the potentially huge Dispatch-properties project facing Capitol Square from the below linked article:

https://www.thisweeknews.com/business/20200523/some-major-columbus-development-projects-on-hold-while-others-move-forward

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to parse this article out and put each update in its respective thread. Much appreciated.

Really disappointed by this update, but it's not all that surprising considering the project hinges on landing a major office tenant. With office needs in complete upheaval, it will take time to determine what will be viable in the future.

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CMHOhio said:

Just wanted to say thanks for taking the time to parse this article out and put each update in its respective thread. Much appreciated.

Really disappointed by this update, but it's not all that surprising considering the project hinges on landing a major office tenant. With office needs in complete upheaval, it will take time to determine what will be viable in the future.

I've thought about the future of offices a ton during this whole thing and I think this is the resolution.

There will be a lot of people who will ask for and be granted the ability to work from home here and into the future.  I think companies have seen that it can work and save them a ton of money. 

On the other hand I think you will see companies that have to be in the office keep the demand flat to a slight increase as they try to space their workforce out at least in the near term.

• 1 year later...

Dispatch:

A sign of progress: Scaffolding surrounding Rhodes Tower begins to come down

“After more than four years of being covered by mountainous scaffolding, portions of both Pearl Street and Lynn Street surrounding the Rhodes State Office Building are finally seeing the light of day.

Scaffolding that was erected in late 2016 at the start of the state tower's now nearly four-year-long improvement project is now coming down as construction work enters its final stages of completion, said Melissa Vince, a spokesperson for the Department of Administrative Services.”

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2021/07/22/rhodes-tower-improvements-near-complete-scaffolding-comes-down/8055175002/

• Like 2