Sign in to follow this  
mrnyc

In The World: China

comfortably?  :lol:

Shanghai Constructs Underground Bunker Capable Of Sheltering 200,000 People

POSTED: 2:20 pm EDT July 31, 2006

UPDATED: 2:24 pm EDT July 31, 2006

E-mail this story | Print this story

SHANGHAI, China -- Shanghai has constructed a massive underground bunker complex capable of sheltering 200,000 people from a nuclear attack, a local newspaper reported. The million-square-foot complex connects to shopping centers, office buildings, apartment buildings and the subway system via miles of tunnels, the Shanghai Morning Post said in an exclusive report. The newspaper said the complex has water, electricity, lighting, ventilation and protective doors, and can support life for as long as two weeks. 

That's all well and good, but do they have room for thier dogs?  :-o

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,206493,00.html

Chinese County Exterminates 50,000 Dogs After Rabies Deaths

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

SHANGHAI, China — A county in southwestern China has killed as many as 50,000 dogs in a government-ordered campaign following the deaths of three local people from rabies, official media reported on Tuesday. The five-day massacre in Yunnan province's Mouding county spared only military guard dogs and police canine units, the Shanghai Daily reported, citing local media.

Dogs being walked were taken from their owners and beaten to death on the spot, it said. Other killing teams entered villages at night creating noise to get dogs barking, then homing in on their prey.

Holy sh!t....that's just a touch extreme!!!

Don't you get it yet, folks!  Support communism- they kill your dog.  God bless America and George Bush!

Polaris feels like you're walking in one big ass circle.

p.s. it's nice to know that 1/6000th of the population of China and 1/100th of the city proper will be safe and secure in case such an event occured

^ safe or buried alive? ....and then turned into mutants while aboveground the apes take over.

speaking of polaris, i had not been in a typical mall for years. when we visited cols a couple wks ago i went into sears there and i was the only customer in the whole store for the whole time. i dk how they stay in business, but that was cool!

^Robots will take over before apes will.

If Sears is anything like Old Navy it's because it's a slow time of year for retail. It equals less hours of work for me this part of summer :[ wait until the labor day sales kick in.

Thousands of workers had gathered in northeastern rust belt city of Tonghua to protest the takeover of their company and threatened layoffs.

July 27, 2009

Chinese state media confirmed Monday that a steel factory executive was beaten to death after thousands of workers gathered to protest the takeover of their company.

Chen Guojun, an executive at Jianlong Steel Holding Co., died Friday after an angry mob in the northeastern rust belt city of Tonghua beat him and then blocked ambulances from reaching him, according to the China Daily.

Click on link for more information.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-china-mob27-2009jul27,0,3235364.story

HONG KONG - China wants to meter all internet traffic that passes through its borders, it has emerged. The move would require international agreement - but it is being discussed by the United Nations body in charge of internet standards. It would allow countries which currently receive no payment for use of their lines to generate income. But an EU cyber security expert has warned the plan could threaten the stability of the entire internet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/8417680.stm

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

China targeting 8% growth in 2010

China has announced it is targeting economic growth of 8% in 2010, despite the continuing effects of the global downturn. Beijing has targeted 8% growth for the past few years, and has yet to fall short of the target. Analysts said the country's economy was likely to beat the target, growing by 9% or more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8424239.stm

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

UK officials: China sets execution date for Briton

LONDON — China plans to execute a British man convicted of drug smuggling before the end of the year, officials said Monday, ignoring a personal appeal from Prime Minister Gordon Brown to spare the man's life. Britain's Foreign Office said that Chinese authorities have told them they plan to execute Akmal Shaikh, a 53-year-old man whose supporters say has mental health problems and was duped into carrying drugs into China, on Dec. 29.

"We are alarmed and deeply concerned at this news," the Foreign Office said in a statement. "We will be using the next few days to renew and intensify our appeal to the Chinese authorities for clemency."

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jfhc61iDY0JG9R9zebn0I5TrzFZwD9CNSMJ80

A court in China's Xinjiang region has sentenced a further five people to death for their role in July's deadly ethnic riots, the worst in decades.  The sentences bring the number of people condemned to die over the riots to a total of 22.  Five more were sentenced to death with a two-year reprieve, a sentence often commuted to life in prison.

Nine people were executed last month over the riots, in which nearly 200 people were killed.

Chinese officials have said most of the victims were members of China's majority Han ethnic group who were attacked by ethnic Uighurs.  Reports suggest that the five sentenced to death were Uighurs - members of a Turkic minority in China that calls Xinjiang their homeland.

Ethnic tensions exploded on 5 July as Uighurs in Urumqi protested over clashes at a factory in southern China that had left two Uighurs dead.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8429395.stm 

Condemnation as China executes Briton for drug smuggling

(CNN) -- The British government condemned China's execution of a British national Tuesday on drug smuggling charges.

"I ... am appalled and disappointed that our persistent requests for clemency have not been granted," Prime Minister Gordon Brown said. "I am particularly concerned that no mental health assessment was undertaken." Akmal Shaikh was convicted of carrying up to 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds) of heroin at the Urumqi Airport in September 2007. According to Chinese law, 50 grams (1.76 ounces) is the threshold for the death penalty.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/WORLD/asiapcf/12/29/china.britain.smuggler/index.html

China's little better, but some American's make a lot of money off of China, so don't ever expect us to make a real stand on any issue with them.

China floats idea of first overseas naval base

A senior Chinese naval officer has suggested that China establish a permanent base in the Gulf of Aden to support its anti-piracy operations. Rear Admiral Yin Zhou's proposal was posted on the defence ministry website. Mr Yin said supplying and maintaining the fleet off Somalia was challenging without such a base, and said other nations were unlikely to object.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8435037.stm

China car sales 'overtook the US' in 2009

China has said it overtook the United States to become the world's biggest car and van market in 2009. The China Association of Automobile Manufacturers said 13.6 million vehicles were sold within the country last year. That compares with just over 10 million vehicles in the US, which was previously the world's largest market.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8451887.stm

China fires back at cyber attack charges

Washington (CNN) -- China fired back Friday, saying the United States is damaging ties between the countries by highlighting cyber attacks alleged by Google. The search-engine giant has threatened to pull out of China, saying that Chinese hackers have targeted Google and up to 34 other companies.

In a speech on Internet freedom and security Thursday in Washington, U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urged China to investigate such attacks, saying they raised "very serious concerns." Clinton's agency has said it will file a formal protest over Google's complaints.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TECH/01/22/china.google.reax/index.html?hpt=T2

China floats idea of first overseas naval base

A senior Chinese naval officer has suggested that China establish a permanent base in the Gulf of Aden to support its anti-piracy operations. Rear Admiral Yin Zhou's proposal was posted on the defence ministry website. Mr Yin said supplying and maintaining the fleet off Somalia was challenging without such a base, and said other nations were unlikely to object.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8435037.stm

The joint chiefs have got to be shitting a brick over this one.

China's little better, but some American's make a lot of money off of China, so don't ever expect us to make a real stand on any issue with them.

nope. We get all riled about about human rights everywhere else but China. no suprise why.

Here are the last four paragraphs from a pretty straight-forward article from George Will

A growth lesson from China

By George F. Will

Thursday, February 4, 2010

The 20th century radically reduced deaths due to acute infectious diseases, which were concentrated in infancy and early childhood. In 1900, more than 33 percent of all deaths were of children under 5; today they are less than 2 percent. In 1900, deaths of persons 65 and older were only 18 percent of all deaths; today they are 75 percent.

This demographic destiny might entail starving every other sector of society -- including national defense, at great cost to America's international standing. It had better not, given what Fogel argues in another essay, this one in the current issue of Foreign Policy. It carries the headline "$123,000,000,000,000." Fogel's subheadline is: "China's estimated economy by the year 2040. Be warned."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/03/AR2010020302951.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

Anybody remember the day when Japan was going to "own" this country?  That is basically what started the whole "buy American" craze 20 years ago.  I see similar scare tactics going on with China now.  IMO, their growth is unsustainable.  They are still light years behind us and will run into the same bumps and bruises along the way.

And what form of Government does China have?  Should we really be taking lessons from its "growth"?

Anybody remember the day when Japan was going to "own" this country? That is basically what started the whole "buy American" craze 20 years ago. I see similar scare tactics going on with China now. IMO, their growth is unsustainable. They are still light years behind us and will run into the same bumps and bruises along the way.

And what form of Government does China have? Should we really be taking lessons from its "growth"?

Oh I think we don't really know what path China will take. Their bumps and bruises definitely won't be just like ours. And China is much bigger than Japan and doesn't have the same restrictions to using their power outside their borders. I just think it would be foolish to dismiss them.

Japan has half the population of the US and an economy half the size of the US.  China has 4X the population  so has the potential for an economy 4X the size of the US.  However, it the US sustains an average 3% economic growth, it will likely take the Chinese over 50 years to catch up with us. 

I'm not dismissing China.... I just think/hypothesize that China's growth is unsustainable.  Their method of governing is unsustainable.  The current state of their laws are unsustainable with a population that is becoming more and more "westernized".  So, no, don't dismiss.  But don't tremble in fear either or use their models to shape our economic future.

Japan has half the population of the US and an economy half the size of the US. China has 4X the population so has the potential for an economy 4X the size of the US. However, it the US sustains an average 3% economic growth, it will likely take the Chinese over 50 years to catch up with us.

With our aging demographics, I wonder if 3% is sustainable.  NPR had a good report on China's new swagger yesterday. I'll look for it later and try to post it.

State run media.  Single party system.  A faux democracy.  Communism.  Abhorent civil rights violations.  Lack of religious freedom/tolerance.  What 'swagger' are we supposed to envy?  History tells us that large scale societies don't flourish long-term under such conditions and, even if they did, I would not want to take my lessons from such models. 

First off, what constitutes a "large scale society" kind of depends on the systems and technologies that they run on, so that's not really a constant. Second, history is made all the time, I don't think it really "tells us" anything, there are examples of centralized governments failing and others that couldn't have been so big by any other means.

All we can really say today is that their system is working. Maybe tomorrow it will fail and democracy will be vindicated. All we know for sure is that today we owe them a lot of money.

And Scrabble didn't say we were supposed to envy China's swagger.

PS, in 2003 Goldman Sachs predicted China's 2010 GPD would be $2.9 trillion. In 2009 it was already at $4.9 trillion. The future is just hard to predict.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/BUSINESS/01/20/china.GDP.annual/index.html

Would you call China anything other than a "large scale society"?  The United States?  If those are not large scale societies, I am not sure what is.  No need for semantics when discussing those two.

I disagree that their system is working for all the reasons I stated above.  To each his own.

And maybe "envy" was a bad choice of words.  Emulate perhaps?  I'm sure Scrabble can speak for himself.  Sorry to put word in your mouth my young libertarian friend.

I enjoy using semantics to torpedo sweeping generalizations.

"History tells us that large scale societies don't flourish long-term under such conditions..."

I do not feel that you can compare "large scale societies" throughout "history" because the size of your society is limited by your ability to administrate it which is limited by your technology. So I think that you have these two variables, your technology and human nature, and they don't change at the same pace, at least I don't think they do, so you can't have a lot of confidence when you say something like "history tells us that x society will be a success."

And I'm pretty sure the majority of large scale societies actually owed their large scale and longevity to ruthless centralization. That is why America feels so special to us at this point in history, right?

Or think about it this way, perhaps? America started falling apart in the same century that trains and factories came along. We will never know if the North would have been able to subdue the South without trains and factories. Just like today, we don't know yet if the digital revolution will hurt China's government, or actually help it.

Let me know when that torpedo is going to hit so I can get out of the way. 

All I meant to OPINE is that large-scale (if you have another term feel free) communist societies have not flourished in the industrialized world.  Sorry for not being specific enough.  They have their peaks, as we saw with the USSR.  But that ultimately failed.  Communism, IMO, is only practical in a much, much smaller community full of good-willed people.  If you have an example of a communist state of more than 50,000,000 people that has acheived sustained prosperity, then perhaps I am due for a history lesson.

Look it up in a dictionary Champ.  Why don't you ask me to define "prosperity" while we are ignoring the substantive issues in this debate and reducing ourselves to torpedos and semantics.