Sign in to follow this  
eastvillagedon

Political Harassment & Violence

Yes, it was coined by the right wing, but it is a bit appropriate considering there are quite a few on the left who have gone completely batsh*t crazy and get upset at the fact that Trump may take an extra scoop of ice cream or eat too much McDonalds.  Let's at least acknowledge that while we do not like him and while he is a bad president, there are at least some positive things that have come out of the administration. Prison Reform being one that has been lauded by many reasonable thinking people.

1 hour ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Yes, it was coined by the right wing, but it is a bit appropriate considering there are quite a few on the left who have gone completely batsh*t crazy and get upset at the fact that Trump may take an extra scoop of ice cream or eat too much McDonalds.  Let's at least acknowledge that while we do not like him and while he is a bad president, there are at least some positive things that have come out of the administration. Prison Reform being one that has been lauded by many reasonable thinking people.

Another intellectually dishonest post.  Who here has gotten upset about any of those things?  Where was the national outrage, for that matter?  The only thing I remember about the ice cream story, for example, was that it made Trump look childish.  People were mocking him about it, not outraged.  So where is this perception coming from that everyone was upset?  If this is all you have to support your TDS claims, you don't really have anything at all. 

Prison reform was a good thing, but then again, I don't remember anything but universal praise for this move, including from liberals, so this is not a good example of liberals simply being partisan against everything Trump does, either.  But by no means does it change the picture of the Trump presidency.  All presidents, even the worst of them, occasionally get something right.  The damage Trump has done, is doing and will do far outweighs that one decent act.  Presidents aren't judged over one thing, or George W. would only be remembered for that one speech he gave after 9/11 rather than say, the Iraq debacle or Katrina.  They are judged by their collective body of work. 

Contrary to popular belief, most liberals didn't want Trump to be an awful human being and president.  After he won, many of us were simply hoping for the best.  That didn't happen.  We were right about him all along.  None of us are thrilled by that, at least not that I've ever seen. 

Edited by jonoh81

59 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

Another intellectually dishonest post.  Who here has gotten upset about any of those things?  Where was the national outrage, for that matter?  The only thing I remember about the ice cream story, for example, was that it made Trump look childish.  People were mocking him about it, not outraged.  So where is this perception coming from that everyone was upset?  If this is all you have to support your TDS claims, you don't really have anything at all. 

Prison reform was a good thing, but then again, I don't remember anything but universal praise for this move, including from liberals, so this is not a good example of liberals simply being partisan against everything Trump does, either.  But by no means does it change the picture of the Trump presidency.  All presidents, even the worst of them, occasionally get something right.  The damage Trump has done, is doing and will do far outweighs that one decent act.  Presidents aren't judged over one thing, or George W. would only be remembered for that one speech he gave after 9/11 rather than say, the Iraq debacle or Katrina.  They are judged by their collective body of work. 

Contrary to popular belief, most liberals didn't want Trump to be an awful human being and president.  After he won, many of us were simply hoping for the best.  That didn't happen.  We were right about him all along.  None of us are thrilled by that, at least not that I've ever seen. 

You weren't right about him, though.   

Neither were the Trump true believers.   

He's who he always has been regardless of his stated views, which have never been strongly held anyway.   He's a salesman and a con man, and like most con men he can also be easily conned.   Sometimes this is for the better:  Sebastian Gorka convincing him of the difference between Islam and Islamists, Kanye/Kim et al talking him into prison reform.   Sometimes it sucks, Bannon and Mercer and that bunch getting him to think white supremacists were misunderstood nationalists, or the "take them first" approach to guns.    Every bit of it was more or less predictable if you study him closely.   Which isn't neccesarily a good thing for a President.

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

You weren't right about him, though.   

Neither were the Trump true believers.   

He's who he always has been regardless of his stated views, which have never been strongly held anyway.   He's a salesman and a con man, and like most con men he can also be easily conned.   Sometimes this is for the better:  Sebastian Gorka convincing him of the difference between Islam and Islamists, Kanye/Kim et al talking him into prison reform.   Sometimes it sucks, Bannon and Mercer and that bunch getting him to think white supremacists were misunderstood nationalists, or the "take them first" approach to guns.    Every bit of it was more or less predictable if you study him closely.   Which isn't neccesarily a good thing for a President.

I'm not sure what I wasn't right about.  I didn't post on this political forum back in 2016, but I was one of the few liberals I know that thought Trump had a good chance of winning.  Not because he was a great campaigner or had good ideas, and not even because he's supposedly a con man.  I used to think he was one, but not anymore.  Now I just think he's just an empty vessel, repeating things that he's told with no positions one way or another.  He obviously values things that benefit him personally, but because he has no beliefs to speak of, he can change them at the drop of a hat depending on whatever he was recently told.  That's why he tweets Fox News talking points after he watches Fox News, or repeats Mike Pence's claims about Dems murdering babies after birth.  A con man doesn't get fooled by the con, but Trump does.  He believes whatever he's saying when he's saying it, and even when he changes his view 180 degrees, he will just say he believed that new belief all along.  It's actually worse than being a con man because people with bad intentions, like Putin and Miller, can and do have great influence on his decisions. 

Regarding his supporters,  what better way to influence people when you have (however temporary) the convictions of your changeable beliefs?  They don't see him as a con man because when he says something, he actually believes it's true when he's saying it, even if it's total fact-free bullsh**.  It's why his supporters are always in near total chaos trying to defend his positions, because as soon as they take the same position he has, he changes it to the complete opposite position, leaving them scrambling to defend both or pretending he never had the first position to begin with.  Trump is the worst kind of person, but an even worse leader.  You can't trust anything, and you can expect even less.  But because there are so many people out there who are easily duped, a man like him can still have a large following screaming that he's some kind of political genius playing 47 moves ahead of everyone else.  Now imagine that same level of mindless support controlling the Supreme Court, Congress and the WH.  Well, we don't have to imagine it.  It's here.

And to roll this all back to the thread topic, it's also why he's so dangerous.  A man who has no real convictions, who can be easily swayed by people with criminal intent, who has no motivations other than to serve himself, and with a large following of supporters who never question anything he does and will defend any and all actions, no matter how heinous, can and will promote violence against others.  We've seen it time and time again with immigrants, liberals, the media, Muslims, etc.  It's no mystery why violence against minorities has been skyrocketing the last few years. 

Edited by jonoh81

apparently now people are at risk not just for wearing MAGA hats, but any red cap that looks vaguely similar. 😂

Does This Red Cap Make Me Look MAGA?

Some sports fans don’t want to be confused for Trump supporters.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/20/style/red-baseball-hats-maga.html

Justin Peterson, a 37-year-old graphic designer who lives in Orlando, Fla., owns nearly 100 baseball caps, including several featuring the familiar “C” logo of the Cincinnati Reds. But when he and his wife visited her family in Cincinnati over the recent Independence Day holiday weekend, Mr. Peterson didn’t bring his red Reds cap. Instead, he opted for the team’s alternate black hat.

“Unfortunately, I don’t feel comfortable wearing red baseball hats anymore,” Mr. Peterson said. “I don’t want someone assuming I’m something that I’m not, or that I represent something that I think has become pretty ugly.”

There are plenty of people who are proud to wear President Trump’s signature “Make America Great Again” caps, of course, as evinced at recent rallies. When Mr. Trump’s campaign introduced them in 2015, he was dubbed a “marketing genius.” Hats flew off the shelves in the store at the Trump Tower in Midtown as Republican supporters and Democrats alike vied to obtain the accessory of the summer.

^ I'm sure that wasn't just one guy's overreaction or anything.  I mean wearing a red Cincinnati Reds baseball hat...in Cincinnati no less...must really make you stand out like a sore thumb. 🙄

Edited by jam40jeff

3 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

“Unfortunately, I don’t feel comfortable wearing red baseball hats anymore,” Mr. Peterson said. “I don’t want someone assuming I’m something that I’m not, or that I represent something that I think has become pretty ugly.”

This is a textbook case of "Trump Derangement Syndrome." The guy is so obsessed with his dislike of President Trump that he no longer finds enjoyment from a significant portion of his beloved hat collection. Psychologists should have a field day studying things like this, but they can't, because they're by and large suffering from the same symptoms.

Also, some classic "New York Times" fake news here:

People responding to a reporter’s inquiry said they had stopped wearing red caps advertising things like Maker’s Mark bourbon and Sriracha hot sauce.

15 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

This is a textbook case of "Trump Derangement Syndrome." The guy is so obsessed with his dislike of President Trump that he no longer finds enjoyment from a significant portion of his beloved hat collection. Psychologists should have a field day studying things like this, but they can't, because they're by and large suffering from the same symptoms.

Conservatives have, at various times, boycotted Keurigs, Nike, the NFL, the NBA, and the Oscars to name a few and you're out here trying to tell us the field day for psychologists is with "Trump Derangement Syndrome" ruining enjoyment.  😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Very Stable Genius

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

This would be a wise move:

Trump decries 'gutless' Antifa, says he's weighing declaring group major terror organization

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-considering-declaring-antifa-a-terror-organization

President Donald Trump said Saturday that he is considering declaring the far-left Antifa activist group a terrorist organization, equating it with the MS-13 street gang amid reports of members physically attacking conservative demonstrators and journalists at rallies across the country.

"Consideration is being given to declaring ANTIFA, the gutless Radical Left Wack Jobs who go around hitting (only non-fighters) people over the heads with baseball bats, a major Organization of Terror (along with MS-13 & others). Would make it easier for police to do their job!" Trump tweeted.

Sadly, this is now routine in many parts of America:

Man Was Attacked By A Group Of Teens Over His ‘Make America Great Again’ Hat

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/08/01/maga-hat-attack/

It happened at 6:50 p.m. Tuesday on Canal Street near Greene Street in Manhattan.

Jahangir Turan, 42, claims he was walking down the street when he was passed through a group of 15-18 people. He was wearing a MAGA hat.

“One girl flipped my hat, and then within five, eight seconds, I got pushed from the back and my face hit the scaffolding pole,” Turan said.

Turan said his attackers said were “chanting anti-Trump stuff.”

On 7/22/2019 at 6:15 PM, Ram23 said:

This is a textbook case of "Trump Derangement Syndrome."

Your ilk tried to advocate that the previous President wasn't a citizen. 

You don't get to call anyone deranged.

7 minutes ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Your ilk tried to advocate that the previous President wasn't a citizen. 

You don't get to call anyone deranged.

Trump supporters assaulted a man who held a sign "Immigrants Built America."  Why is there no post about political violence from them on that?  There is video of a Trump supporter punching a protestor outside the rally.  We all know the reason why those stories aren't shared here.

Very Stable Genius

24 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

Trump supporters assaulted a man who held a sign "Immigrants Built America."  Why is there no post about political violence from them on that?  There is video of a Trump supporter punching a protestor outside the rally.  We all know the reason why those stories aren't shared here.

It doesn't comport with their idea that PC and Antifa are the biggest threat, even though the Trump appointed FBI director disagrees. 

1 hour ago, Ram23 said:

It happened at 6:50 p.m. Tuesday on Canal Street near Greene Street in Manhattan.

Jahangir Turan, 42, claims he was walking down the street when he was passed through a group of 15-18 people. He was wearing a MAGA hat.

“One girl flipped my hat, and then within five, eight seconds, I got pushed from the back and my face hit the scaffolding pole,” Turan said.

Weird that you are so quick to accept his claims, but when the shoe is on the other foot you immediately say it's suspicious. Without hesitation.

3 hours ago, Ram23 said:

this is absolutely disgusting. While these kids obviously should ultimately be held responsible, I also place blame on the mainstream media for poisoning the culture with such hatred and lies for so long that they're  essentially giving the green light to people predisposed to acting violently anyway--

Edited by eastvillagedon

3 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

this is absolutely disgusting. While these kids obviously should ultimately be held responsible, I also place blame on the mainstream media for poisoning the culture with such hatred and lies for so long that they're  essentially giving the green light to people predisposed to acting violently anyway--

… EVD said without a hint of self-awareness or irony.

Meanwhile in Cincinnati...

Man punched outside Trump rally says it motivates him: 'If anything, it'll increase' his activism

The video allegedly shows Dallas Frazier, 29, of Georgetown, Kentucky, getting out of a red pickup truck and approaching Alter after the argument. 

Frazier puts his hands up in fists. Alter said he wasn't going to just stand there. 

Frazier began punching Alter and seconds later was arrested by police, as can be seen in the video.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2019/08/02/activist-punched-outside-trump-rally-says-experience-motivate-him/1901547001/

Edited by BigDipper 80

“To an Ohio resident - wherever he lives - some other part of his state seems unreal.”

10 hours ago, Ram23 said:

No it’s not

cleveland.com

Toledo man threatened to shoot New York Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, feds say

Updated Aug 9, 2:16 PM; Posted Aug 9, 12:29 PM

By Adam Ferrise, cleveland.com

TOLEDO, Ohio — A Toledo man is accused of making threats against U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, federal officials say.

Timothy Ireland, 41, is charged with making threats against a member of Congress and illegally possessing bullets.

Ireland posted on Facebook a link to an unspecified article with the caption: “She should be shot. Can’t fire me, my employer would load the gun for me,” according to court records.

Wonder where this guy got this idea?  Also on Cleveland.com's home page- an ad asking "Are these the three most dangerous people in America?" with Ocasio-Cortez's face along with Warren and Sanders.

4 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

it's amazing how unhinged the left has become over Ellen's friendship with Geo. Bush. Whenever something like this happens the overwhelming amount of hatred always seems to come from one particular side of the aisle 🤔

You're...you're kidding right?  Were you in a coma for the last two NFL seasons?  Miss all the Keurigs flying out of windows?  All the Starbucks "boycotts?"  I mean...

Very Stable Genius

6 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

You're...you're kidding right?  Were you in a coma for the last two NFL seasons?  Miss all the Keurigs flying out of windows?  All the Starbucks "boycotts?"  I mean...

well, I could be wrong, but I've never seen anything like this going on outside a Democratic campaign event by conservatives, have you? 

2 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

well, I could be wrong, but I've never seen anything like this going on outside a Democratic campaign event by conservatives, have you? 

Unite the Right 2017. Alt right idiots killed a person. Did you forget that?

Cesar Sayoc, a Trump supporter, sent pipe bombs to prominent Democratic leaders. Did you forget that?

Candidate Trump ordered his supporters to beat up protestors at his rallies and said he'd cover any legal coats. Did you forget that?

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5ad78882e4b029ebe0207801

Three Trump supporters are currently in federal prison for plotting a terrorist attack to kill Somali refugees. Did you forget that?

Are you ever going to stop posting in bad faith?

Very Stable Genius

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/video-shows-man-maga-hat-003546150.html

Video Shows Man in MAGA Hat Blasting Anti-Trump Protesters With Bear Repellent

A video posted to YouTube shows a man wearing a red “Make America Great Again” hat approaching the anti-Trump protesters and then dousing the crowd with a steady stream of what police say was bear repellent.

While some anti-Trump protesters were screaming and others scattered in an attempt to avoid the spray, the man in the MAGA hat went towards an anti-Trump protester who was being held on the ground by Trump supporters and sprayed him.

The video also shows that before the man in the MAGA hat was arrested, he pled with police, claiming anti-Trump protesters attacked him, calling them “****ing libtards” and “commies.” The video showed no such thing.

Very Stable Genius

7 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

it could have been a pre-emptive strike

The least surprising response you could have possibly made.  

On 10/21/2019 at 2:58 PM, eastvillagedon said:

it could have been a pre-emptive strike

"Could"?  Couple of questions and I think it's a fair questions.  Did you listen to any of the police reports or witness statements?  Are you aware the person who attacked and assaulted these people is a convicted felon.  Are you aware this person is not allowed to have or carry tear gas or pepper spray.  In California, bear repellent is categorized as "tear gas".

Having said all that, why would this person come to this particular location and KNOWINGLY be carrying bear repellent?

explain denzel washington GIF

On 10/21/2019 at 3:09 PM, ryanlammi said:

That's called assault. 

A pre-emptive strike....wow. Just....wow.

"Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you Buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it." -- Gordon Gekko.

Michigan business's Halloween display of Trump holding Obama's head on rope sparks outcry

"It was a Halloween decoration that I guess went too far," Quality Coatings owner Dave Huff said.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/michigan-business-halloween-display-trump-holding-obama-s-head-rope-n1073386