jmecklenborg

Cincinnati: Downtown: Development and News

^^^ I saw a tweet from Bill Rinehart that they had opened the roof and were lowering steel beams inside. Maybe they are just adding a light shaft to that area. I think he lives in the building behind this based on his downtown twitter pics.

That 3-story addition was built to accommodate a full tower, so it's not being gutted, but I think there's an additional stair going in. 

Very cool, I was afraid it would end up like a Chicago style facadectomy. Luminaut is doing some interesting projects and this building has a lot of detail and texture to work with and should turn out to be a stunner. 

50 minutes ago, 646empire said:

The new/updated business courier construction map shows the Garfield Suites Hotel apartment conversion as under construction, does anyone know if this is true??

I could be wrong but I think its said that for a while. 

On 8/24/2019 at 6:56 PM, 646empire said:

The new/updated business courier construction map shows the Garfield Suites Hotel apartment conversion as under construction, does anyone know if this is true??

No serious work has been going on in that building in a couple years.  

48669282937_de1471413a_k.jpg

Does anyone know what's going on with the "Barrister House" building at 216-218 East 9th Street? I don't know if it's being used for anything right now but it certainly doesn't look occupied. It would be a really good looking building if they rehabbed it and gave it some fresh paint.

Wish I knew, there's been occasional work over the past couple years, but that might just have been stabilization.  Those look like mid 19th century industrial buildings (the closer one looks like it got some newer brick veneer at some point to dress it up, but I'm not positive about that).  Sycamore and Broadway were a very industrial part of downtown historically, kind of like River North in Chicago, but it's easy to miss. 

I seem to recall that that was painted around 1998.  Around roughly the same time that the Power Building was vacant and looking really rough.  It and the Krippendorf were two very large vacant buildings almost directly opposite one another.  The Krippendorf was yellow before it was renovated. 

Looks to be owned by a 209 E Court LLC with a mailing address in NYC.

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Yeah those showed up last week, but there aren't any floor plans posted, so they're trying to lure people into a tour of the construction site an a closing or two a few months before an owner can move in.  

Is Western Southern still talking about a new HQ tower? With the tight office market downtown you figure there could be room for another building besides the building at the Banks? If not Western Southern, you would think Kroger may take on a large expansion of their downtown HQ

2 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Is Western Southern still talking about a new HQ tower? With the tight office market downtown you figure there could be room for another building besides the building at the Banks? If not Western Southern, you would think Kroger may take on a large expansion of their downtown HQ

They are moving into the old Chiquita space in Columbia Tower. I don't assume they are going to develop another tower unless they run out of space there next. Seems like the banks office building will be next to build.

12 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

Queen City Tower was built during the last recession, wait for W&S to build their new building during the next recession. Much cheaper that way. 

But that announced they were building it back in the latter half of 2007. They had to close the parking garage and demolish it before they could start building. THe plans were in place  and the project was committed to before the recession actually hit.

On 9/4/2019 at 11:01 PM, savadams13 said:

They are moving into the old Chiquita space in Columbia Tower. I don't assume they are going to develop another tower unless they run out of space there next. Seems like the banks office building will be next to build.

No real W&S HQ thread so I'll tag on here. My 2cents is that they should move everyone into the Columbia Square/Chiquita for a bit, Build a new tower over the OG HQ like the Hearst Tower and leave the rest of the neighborhood alone. I realize this wont happen due to egos and the need that they seem to have to build a 'campus' ala P&G but i fella can dream.That area along/around Lytle park has always had such a cool but quiet vibe going for it i just am dreading the demos that will soon come.

image.png

1 hour ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

But that announced they were building it back in the latter half of 2007. They had to close the parking garage and demolish it before they could start building. THe plans were in place  and the project was committed to before the recession actually hit.

I went to the groundbreaking.  It was sunny out, I recall, so it had to have been in the late spring or summer of 2008.  Probably after Bear Stearns collapsed but before Lehman collapsed and the ensuing wider chaos.  

Yes, but the ground breaking is months after the announcement. I know my wife started her job in 2007 and parked in the garage for a month and they told her they would no longer renewing monthly passes and the garage would be closing soon. This was the Fall of 2007, so if not officially announced then, it was pretty imminent.

2 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Yes, but the ground breaking is months after the announcement. I know my wife started her job in 2007 and parked in the garage for a month and they told her they would no longer renewing monthly passes and the garage would be closing soon. This was the Fall of 2007, so if not officially announced then, it was pretty imminent.

I was told QCS was a go around the same time. I think the lower cost of construction was an added bonus however they paid on the back-end as the building took longer to lease up during the recovery. 

• Like 1

-Friedrich Nietzsche

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 11:01 PM, savadams13 said:

I heard from an employee very recently that the employees moving to the Chiquita building will be there for 5-7 years. It's assumed that they plan to demolish the annex attached to the main HQ building by a breezeway. I'm not 100% positive, but I assume it's these buildings here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1010416,-84.5053525,3a,75y,32.05h,112.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEbQvmPjHEXUuxfGOAPPTwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The new building would then be built there.

7 hours ago, Dresden11 said:

I heard from an employee very recently that the employees moving to the Chiquita building will be there for 5-7 years. It's assumed that they plan to demolish the annex attached to the main HQ building by a breezeway. I'm not 100% positive, but I assume it's these buildings here: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1010416,-84.5053525,3a,75y,32.05h,112.04t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEbQvmPjHEXUuxfGOAPPTwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The new building would then be built there.

Isnt there a height restriction on the Lytle Park part of downtown?

I heard they wanted to do something with the annex area but not necessarily a tower given the fact it was in the historic district?

20 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Isnt there a height restriction on the Lytle Park part of downtown?

I heard they wanted to do something with the annex area but not necessarily a tower given the fact it was in the historic district?

Western Southern/Eagle Realty had the historic district lines relocated a couple years ago. Not sure if they removed the border on this block.

On 9/5/2019 at 4:05 PM, SleepyLeroy said:

No real W&S HQ thread so I'll tag on here. My 2cents is that they should move everyone into the Columbia Square/Chiquita for a bit, Build a new tower over the OG HQ like the Hearst Tower and leave the rest of the neighborhood alone. I realize this wont happen due to egos and the need that they seem to have to build a 'campus' ala P&G but i fella can dream.That area along/around Lytle park has always had such a cool but quiet vibe going for it i just am dreading the demos that will soon come.

image.png

This design is my dream, but also that W&S just realize how huge a plus their present set up surrounding the park is. The "campus" is there - and so is the opportunity to make it much better than P&Gs

• Like 1

8 hours ago, savadams13 said:

Western Southern/Eagle Realty had the historic district lines relocated a couple years ago. Not sure if they removed the border on this block.

The city eliminated the historic district boundaries in this area around 2014/2015.

Rumors is that W&S want to level the block cited above and build new. They even have a model of it displayed somewhere.

No historic retrofit. No facadectomy. 

• Like 1

-Friedrich Nietzsche

I want to preserve these buildings but I'm also very supportive of a fortune 500 company investing in the urban core and building a tower that would have a major impact on the skyline. 

The annex is an ugly building, I would not miss it. that area of 5th street is a bit dead and could use some life too. No restaurants in that area to walk too for lunch and stuff. Could use a bit more life in that area.

The Western and Southern facade, especially at 4th street should really be saved if possible, but the rest of that block is definitely going away. Hopefully no demo crosses 4th to the Guilford or neighboring buildings.

Part of the reason there is no life in that area is because P&G and W&S both feed their employees in cafeterias. Despite all the jobs on the east side of downtown there are almost no retail businesses because both large employers exist in a kind of vacuum. The hotel should help somewhat around Lytle Park but it wall always feel kind of lifeless on that side of town.

28 minutes ago, 646empire said:

Any movement on the Hilton brand hotels at 4th and walnut?

They have all tax credits that can possibly be achieved. Developers are dragging there feet at the moment. Some unexpected issues in permitting as well.

17 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

They have all tax credits that can possibly be achieved. Developers are dragging there feet at the moment. Some unexpected issues in permitting as well.

Interesting. I hate when developers get these credits then the project stalls. Hopefully we at least see work on The Kimpton at 5th and walnut start soon? It’s been sitting a  long time and was awarded credits a long time ago.

I live at 7th and Race where two buildings are being converted into boutique hotels. With how long the delay was between announcement and actual start it sure seemed like both projects fell through. But both hotels are moving forward full steam right now. Hopefully these projects end up going the same way. 

7 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

I live at 7th and Race where two buildings are being converted into boutique hotels. With how long the delay was between announcement and actual start it sure seemed like both projects fell through. But both hotels are moving forward full steam right now. Hopefully these projects end up going the same way. 

Thats very good to hear, how is construction of the additional floors going at the Marriott?

24 minutes ago, 646empire said:

Thats very good to hear, how is construction of the additional floors going at the Marriott?

Very slowly. That building just needs a ton of work, and that’s not even counting the new floors that will be added. It isn’t going to get done until 2021. The other one though is moving real quick. I would think it could open in the first half of next year. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cincy513 said:

Very slowly. That building just needs a ton of work, and that’s not even counting the new floors that will be added. It isn’t going to get done until 2021. The other one though is moving real quick. I would think it could open in the first half of next year. 

Cool, I was hoping both would be done by fall 2020. Maybe they will pick up the pace a bit 😁