jmecklenborg

Cincinnati: Downtown: Development and News

Anything else that gets announced you say......... Just my dream (and lunch time doodling) at the moment but I hope something like this comes to life one day once people get over their ego's and outdated thinking of development.

I wonder what  it would take to convince them to know that they are making a very dumb business decision.  I mean these guys are successful businessmen, they have to have some semblance of sense of what is going on downtown and how they can profit from it?

My only explanation is that is is the younger generation trying to carry out the unfinished dream of the older generation and build that dream fortune 500 building that eluded them in the 70's and 80's. Sort of how the demolition of the Gamble Estate was done entirely to fulfill the wishes of a person who was getting all the unfinished business crossed of her list before she passed and a younger generation only there to see her wishes carried out no matter the damage dome to history and those still alive. That or an intense dislike of brick.

^ Yes the name is trendy branding and not historically correct but i was trying to appeal to a sense of family history and civic pride as a way for the owners to emerge from this a heroes.

So you've sent this to them?

No, dont know how to get it to them directly (or if they would even care) but put it on the Dennison pages that I know their PR group monitors to make it visible. Just wanted to offer an olive branch of cooperation and hope for a new outcome vs all of their lawyers negativity and dismissal to other options.

Yeah this project seems pretty dead. Announced two years ago and no visible changes anywhere. Would be pretty unfortunate if both this as well as 4/race both get halted.

I've heard bad rumors of Fountain News moving into the building.  If that's the case the area in general is going to get even worse.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

This is kind of a bad sign for the market if this one doesn't get done. This project is kind of a wiffle ball on a tee (relatively speaking.)

Without knowing anything further...it could just as well be the developer bit off more than they can chew or cannot land financing for a project of this size if they do not have a track record.

You see other developers who may be more financially sound such as North American Properties and Village Green completing larger/more expensive projects. As well as the developer of AT580 wanting to get involved in other projects in CBD.

His focus has been on the terrace plaza property. He pulled Woolpert into do preliminary design and is really trying to get that project going to help make his 580 walnut project more valuable. 830 Main isnt exactly dead its just on the back burner is what i been told by a couple folks.

Market-rate apartments proposed for lot near City Hall; public radio also eyed site

An Indianapolis developer is proposing to build a new, mixed-use project in a city-owned parking lot to the west of Cincinnati City Hall, a site that Cincinnati Public Radio also had its eye on, with the support of a city councilman.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/08/market-rate-apartments-proposed-for-lot-near-city.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Where are they talking? I am not seeing any parking lots to the west of City hall? Unless they are talking about the one across the street from Burke.

Judging from the map marker in the article, it appears to be the lot to the north of city hall.

The article says it will be on the northwest corner of 9th and Plum, which is directly north of City Hall (not sure why the first sentence of the article says it's "west of City Hall").

Also interesting is that a competing proposal (which was supported by PG Sittenfeld) was for Cincinnati Public Radio to relocate there... which means they're actively looking to move out of their current facility on Central Parkway.

Cincinnati Public Radio not giving up pursuit of lot next to City Hall for new HQ

20180419cpr-9th-plum-rendering*750xx5231-2942-0-6.jpg

Cincinnati Public Radio plans to continue seeking to buy a lot next to City Hall for its new headquarters and studio, estimated at $10 million to $15 million, despite the city administration recommendation of a different project, said Richard Eiswerth, its general manager.

The organization shared preliminary renderings of its building with the Business Courier, which would include a public performance space and open public space. Eiswerth cautioned that the design of the building, which he described as having both modern influences and as an homage to Samuel Hannaford, the famed Cincinnati architect who designed City Hall, is subject to revisions.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/12/cincinnati-public-radio-not-giving-up-pursuit-of.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Interesting that the non-profit Public Radio is willing to pay more ($1.5 million) for the land than the for-profit developer Millhaus (only $250k).

How much space does the Public Radio really need? Seems like a waste to dedicate a large parcel (.75 acres) to just the Public Radio. The rendering in that Courier article makes it seem like the Public Radio proposal would be very low density, taking up only portion of the site, but angled in such a way that nothing else would be buildable there. I like Sittenfeld's idea of somehow combining the proposals so that the Public Radio and the apartments can both make use of the site.

I'm curious what the plans are - in either proposal - for the historic two-story building at 316 W 9th, or if they'd just demolish it: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1045277,-84.5197962,3a,85.3y,8.46h,105.03t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sH49HxhnegXW12Ga4G9uyVw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Here is the RFP for the site:

http://choosecincy.com/Cincinnati/media/Cincinnati/EconDev/RFPs/Cyber%20Monday/RFP500CEDNINTH_PLUM.pdf

The city is no doubt sending this out as a way to get a one-time cash infusion to patch up Cranley's crazy budget.  So he's going to get public radio to overpay and we'll get a lame project. 

With the abundance of surface parking lots that exist in the basin, it's absurd that this either/or scenario is even being entertained. Since Cincinnati Public Radio (CPR) still needs to raise funds for the construction of the building, I absolutely support going forward with the development of apartments on this site. It supports the general plan goals of adding housing and density in the core, and the CPR proposal is not dense, and contains no residential component. We don't need a plaza in this part of downtown. There is plenty of open space and unused plaza space already.

The city should work with CPR and CET to find a new site that could accommodate them both, since it seems like that is a partnership that already exists, and it would make sense to keep them together. It'd be great to keep them downtown, and I think there are plenty of sites that could work, especially if CPR alone has $1.5 million to spend just on land costs. With that money, they could purchase any number of sites for their new HQ. Something seems a little off about this whole situation, and especially PG Sittenfeld's vocal involvement with a single development project. Someone needs to ask CPR why they are so attached to this site specifically. The city would probably give them land for free in any number of neighborhoods, and they could have a more sizable impact in a place like Price Hill or Walnut Hills than they could downtown.

Having a space like that in our city would be cool. It reminds me of how KEXP took over one of the buildings at Seattle Center for their radio studio and has a space inside that's open to the public. It's a good way to help public radio stay relevant and on people's minds.

The city is no doubt sending this out as a way to get a one-time cash infusion to patch up Cranley's crazy budget.  So he's going to get public radio to overpay and we'll get a lame project.

The sale of this land will have no meaningful impact on the budget, regardless of who buys it and at what price. The city budget is way too big for this one project to have any significant impact.

The Cincy radio proposal would be a terrible use of this land.  Hopefully they can find somewhere else downtown for them but no way should they go in this spot over apartments. 

Shame Cincinnati Public Radio cant work away into the North Building of the Cincinnati Public Library. Even if a small addition to be added. It just seems to me that Public Radio and the Library would go together well.

The Cincy radio proposal would be a terrible use of this land.  Hopefully they can find somewhere else downtown for them but no way should they go in this spot over apartments.

how about the old wlwt building. Keep the historic building. Add a modern annex over existing parking.

That building at 140 W Ninth St is owned by CHCA (Cincinnati Hills Christian Academy) and houses their Armleder Campus. From what I know about CHCA, I doubt they’d be willing to sell for anything less than a small fortune.

A little update from last December's announcement.

Redevelopment proposed for west part of Shillito’s building

By Chris Wetterich  – Staff reporter and columnist, Cincinnati Business Courier

Jun 15, 2018, 12:46pm EDT Updated 2 hours ago

Neyer Properties is proposing to redevelop the western part of the former Shillito’s building at 137 W. Seventh St. into office space, a parking garage and street-level retail.

The Cincinnati Planning Commission approved the sale of that part of the building to the company unanimously. City Council approval also will be needed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/15/redevelopment-proposed-for-west-part-of-shillito-s.html

shillitosrendering*1200xx1267-714-0-63.jpg

Indianapolis developer gets key approval for apartment project north of City Hall

Indianapolis developer Milhaus received initial approval on Friday to purchase a 0.77-acre city-owned property north of Cincinnati City Hall to build a mixed-use, market-rate apartment project.

But there could be a political dispute over the property at 316-320 W. Ninth St. because Cincinnati Public Radio also has proposed putting its new headquarters at the site, and it has the support of Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/15/indianapolis-developer-gets-key-approval-for.html

cityhall353*750xx500-667-0-0.jpg

A little update from last December's announcement.

Redevelopment proposed for west part of Shillito’s building

By Chris Wetterich  – Staff reporter and columnist, Cincinnati Business Courier

Jun 15, 2018, 12:46pm EDT Updated 2 hours ago

Neyer Properties is proposing to redevelop the western part of the former Shillito’s building at 137 W. Seventh St. into office space, a parking garage and street-level retail.

The Cincinnati Planning Commission approved the sale of that part of the building to the company unanimously. City Council approval also will be needed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/15/redevelopment-proposed-for-west-part-of-shillito-s.html

I really wish this was going to be more residential instead of a parking garage. We need more people downtown, not more places to store cars.

^Maybe this garage will pave the way for the horrendous garage at 7th and Elm to be torn down and the site redeveloped.

This is the ugliest garage downtown, I think: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1031764,-84.5168509,3a,75y,309.72h,103.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sLgr0IZHd0tqfVtrqfj11yA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It was under Federated/Macys ownership, since they sold off the one garage, I wonder if they would sell this one as well. Fun fact it use to have federated office space in the building as well.

Speaking of horrendous garages on Elm, the one at the corner of Elm/6th is having the glass storefront replaced with brick... presumably because they could never find a tenant to fill that space and they'd rather make a bit more money by having a few more parking spaces.

Holy shit, you just ruined my weekend! Ugh, who in their right mind would allow that beautiful building to be torn down and replaced with the hunk of garbage we have now?