KJP

Car dependency is not freedom

More about that ball-n-chain....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

When i had to drive to work in Solon or Mayfield Heights i would contemplate all the horsepower of all the cars that are sitting idling in rush hour traffic on 271 and 480 in miles long backups. The people with the 450hp-500+hp engine sitting next to me are going just as fast as my car. Multiply the amount of capital sitting idle throughput the US and it really is disturbing. The more expensive car is not getting you more freedom.  It just typically means you have to live further away to justify/afford that more expensive vehicle. 

• Like 1

So many other free are actually more free by not subsidizing driving so much that choices become practical to offer...

On 9/11/2019 at 10:13 PM, KJP said:

Cars and air conditioning, and despite its potential, likely the smartphone.  Technology that isolates.

2 hours ago, Foraker said:

Cars and air conditioning, and despite its potential, likely the smartphone.  Technology that isolates.

The Internet in general.  The smartphone just accelerated the trend by allowing you to stay more visibly and psychologically isolated even when you leave your abode.

"Transportation is the largest source of planet-warming greenhouse gases in the United States today and the bulk of those emissions come from driving in our cities and suburbs"  In Cleveland, per capita emissions are up 12% since 1990---I assume because of the endless sprawl.... NYC is up 9% during the same time and Chicago up 43%

1103174275_ScreenShot2019-10-10at10_49_40AM.thumb.png.ed944e7768297d09ea51e1dbba952b87.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/10/climate/driving-emissions-map.html

^Actually, looking at the other Ohio cities--CLE is the only city with e-check, right?:

Columbus +17% per capita emissions

Cincy +18%

Dayton +39%

Toledo +25%

not Ohio, but interesting:  Washington, DC   --6% (though total emissions up 39%)