Jump to content
KJP

Cleveland: Westinghouse Redevelopment

Recommended Posts

Well, now that we are finished with that fantasy, let's give it away to someone who will put a manufacturing facility in there and put a thousand people to work!

Edited by Terdolph
  • Dislike 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Well, now that we are finished with that fantasy, let's give it away to someone who will put a manufacturing facility in there and put a thousand people to work!

I am quite sure that would be a bigger fantasy.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Well, now that we are finished with that fantasy, let's give it away to someone who will put a manufacturing facility in there and put a thousand people to work!

 

So this property has been available for sale for two years, and it has been largely vacant for longer than that. Please tell me why aren't prospective industrial users banging down the doors to occupy this building?

 

BTW, the maximum employment this building ever had was 500 people -- more than 50 years ago, when automation and single-level, horizontally integrated manufacturing buildings started making multi-story facilities like this obsolete. Though it's not like you haven't heard that before. I'm not sure why you choose not to believe it.

 

As if that's neither here or there. This thread is about redevelopment, which is no longer happening here. Thus this thread should probably be moved into the dead projects part of the forum. I look forward to the day when it can be moved out of there.

  • Like 4
  • Poison 1

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KJP said:

 

So this property has been available for sale for two years, and it has been largely vacant for longer than that. Please tell me why aren't prospective industrial users banging down the doors to occupy this building?

 

BTW, the maximum employment this building ever had was 500 people -- more than 50 years ago, when automation and single-level, horizontally integrated manufacturing buildings started making multi-story facilities like this obsolete. Though it's not like you haven't heard that before. I'm not sure why you choose not to believe it.

 

As if that's neither here or there. This thread is about redevelopment, which is no longer happening here. Thus this thread should probably be moved into the dead projects part of the forum. I look forward to the day when it can be moved out of there.

It can not be sold at market rates.  The city should buy it, then give it away to a manufacturer who will employ men with low skills.  It has the ability to handle heavy machinery which most multi-story buildings do not.  If it is used for industrial purposes, substantial remediation will not be required.  Repeat-the city should buy it and give it away to anyone credible who can operate it as a manufacturing facility.  If necessary, the Cleveland Foundation, Gund Foundation etc. should give the city millions for that purpose rather than funding social welfare programs.

 

I am baffled by the city's willingness to invest and  give away millions for residential development, sports venues, etc. (and I am not against those things) and its miserlyness when it comes to industrial development that will generate the tax revenue that pays for all the other give aways. 

 

Something is out of balance with our priorities.

  • Haha 1
  • Poison 2
  • Dislike 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

It can not be sold at market rates.  The city should buy it, then give it away to a manufacturer who will employ men with low skills.  It has the ability to handle heavy machinery which most multi-story buildings do not.  If it is used for industrial purposes, substantial remediation will not be required.  Repeat-the city should buy it and give it away to anyone credible who can operate it as a manufacturing facility.  If necessary, the Cleveland Foundation, Gund Foundation etc. should give the city millions for that purpose rather than funding social welfare programs.

 

I am baffled by the city's willingness to invest and  give away millions for residential development, sports venues, etc. (and I am not against those things) and its miserlyness when it comes to industrial development that will generate the tax revenue that pays for all the other give aways. 

 

Something is out of balance with our priorities.

 

No modern manufacturing firm is going to choose a multi-story building in 2019 no matter what the cost is. If a manufacturer did want it, the city would likely, gladly, help with the cost. What the city isn't going to do is buy it speculatively to then sell to an end user. And the city isn't good at marketing properties so you wouldn't want them to do that anyways.

 

It's definitely not a "fantasy" to put apartments in a building like this. Apartments have been going in in buildings like this for decades. Add to all of this the increasingly residential character of the neighborhood around it, it's highly unlikely to be an industrial use ever again.

 

The city and philanthropic communities would also be beyond thrilled to fund more industrial development - land assembly (for the sprawling sites necessary for modern industrial) is the toughest issue, not availability of funds.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear that, Josh!  You guys do great projects, so I know many of us will be eagerly awaiting your next announcement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...