Cleveland: Westinghouse Redevelopment

x

41 minutes ago, CbusTransit said:

Oh this one sounds good...

a certificate of disclosure has had been filed with the city between paramount-breakwater properties (seller) and sustainable community associates (buyer) for the purchase of a property at 1200 west 58th street...the abandoned Westinghouse tower

I think this calls for a separate thread. Josh Rosen's development team is sure to do a fantastic job with this large, highly visible property.

WestinghouseBuilding1.jpg

• Like 1

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Long overdue.  I did a development proforma for this property in my masters in urban planning class at CSU about 12 yrs ago... that was when Battery Park was just starting to take shape and Detroit Shoreway was emerging...  shocking to me how long this property has sat given the height/views/parking/location etc.  It seems like a slam dunk from every aspect

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, StapHanger said:

Very excellent news. Hope the sale includes the lower slung factory building that was partially demoed by the Edison. 

An indoor farmers market, perhaps? Maybe a food hall?

BTW, behind the photo above, I'd add a BRT stop on the Shoreway. This warehouse conversion, plus Edison phase 2 and maybe more, might justify adding a station with pullover lanes for buses (or by adding an intersection here).

• Like 4

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

And here's a record of the certificate of disclosure which was submitted Jan. 22 and processed (aka "closed") Jan. 25. So now it's public record......

Westinghouse-CertOfDisclosure.JPG

Edited by KJP

Edison-Westinghouse2015.jpg

FRIDAY, JANUARY 25, 2019

Old Westinghouse plant may soon be in developer's hands

One of the most visible historic factories in Cleveland may soon be in the hands of a developer that has a proven track record of restoring such buildings.

The former Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co. at 1200 W. 58th St. near Gordon Square in the Detroit-Shoreway neighborhood is best known for its eight-story structure towering over the Westinghouse Curve of the West Shoreway (aka State Route 2) near Edgewater Park. Or, perhaps you recall the Black Widow interrogation scene from the 2012 Avengers movie that was filmed here.

On Jan. 22, a Certificate of Disclosure was filed with the city regarding Sustainable Community Associates' purchase of the 3.62-acre property from Paramount-Breakwater Properties LLC, according to the city's Division of Records. Certificates of Disclosure must be processed by the city prior to a property transfer taking effect. The certificate was processed Jan. 25.

MORE:
https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/01/old-westinghouse-plant-may-soon-be-in.html

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

In light of this potential project, I remind readers (especially city officials, RTA officials, nearby property owners and others) about my idea to add a station with pull-off lanes for buses on the Cleveland State BRT route. A stop here, especially if the Westinghouse plant adds a variety of mixed uses in its lower-level buildings, should get all-day ridership.

Then again, it might be cheaper to create an intersection on the Shoreway with Cass/West 54th, including a roadway through to the expanding Great Lakes Shipyard. Yes, that means eliminating the soap box derby track. That property would make a nice residential development anyway. Add another intersection at West 45th and get rid of those dangerous ramps to/from Herman Avenue. Perhaps RTA, ODOT and the city should undertake an alternatives analysis??

clevelandstatebrt-west50thstop-s.jpg

• Like 3

The elongated two-three story structures attached to the taller eight-story building are really unique - any idea on what types of (re)uses would be most appropriate for these, given their unconventional floor plans? Are there similar projects elsewhere that illustrate how former factories like this have been successfully redeveloped in a way that respects their original layouts? I hope the developer finds a way to keep the overall structure intact, given its unique and historic nature.

Greentown Labs (largest clean-tech incubator in the country) in Somerville, MA is one comp that comes to mind.

https://www.sta-design.com/clean-tech/

Can anyone think of others?

Greentown 1.PNG

Greentown 2.PNG

Greentown 3.PNG

Greentown 4.PNG

Edited by ASP1984
  • Like 1

To your point Terdolph - another good comparable is "The Plant" in Chicago, which is a former factory converted into a food-systems incubator. Its a great look at how we can re-use former industrial properties for job-rich economic development, and there's growing traction for / confidence in a lot of the underlying business models that were at one point considered novel but now becoming more mainstream:

Edited by ASP1984
  • Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, KJP said:

An indoor farmers market, perhaps? Maybe a food hall?

BTW, behind the photo above, I'd add a BRT stop on the Shoreway. This warehouse conversion, plus Edison phase 2 and maybe more, might justify adding a station with pullover lanes for buses (or by adding an intersection here).

My impression is that the majority opinion on this forum is that the idea of a new indoor food-hall or farmers market in Cleveland is utter sacrilege bc of the West Side Market, seeing as this building is on the West Side. 

Edited by ASP1984

In Denver they have “the Source”. That is where Crooked stave has their taproom. There are 13 vendors that also occupy the space. There is a bank branch and many offices for people to rent. Going to their website they have now added a hotel onto the side of it. 

• Like 1

Been there before - its a great spot!

4 minutes ago, audidave said:

In Denver they have “the Source”. That is where Crooked stave has their taproom. There are 13 vendors that also occupy the space. There is a bank branch and many offices for people to rent. Going to their website they have now added a hotel onto the side of it. 

However.... the first floor of the tower is partially below ground on the west side of the building. It has a garage door off West 58th. So it could be used for indoor parking for residents of the tower. Each floor of the tower offers 14,000 square foot floorplates. So maybe set aside 4,000 sf of the ground floor for a lobby/mailroom/elevators. The remaining 10,000 sf is enough space for indoor parking for 50 cars. And, on the north side of the tower, there appears to be enough room for another 60-75 outdoor parking spaces. That might be enough parking for the tower, which I estimate could have about 100 residential units (give or take a few). On-street parking on West 58th (including a few off-street spaces on the east side of the street) were available to employees of Paramount and Westinghouse.

The lower level buildings, however, could be partially converted to parking -- especially some of the heavily modernized building just to the west of the tower. Although....that modernized building looks to be about three stories tall (or equivalent) which means it would be tall enough (at least the second and third floors) to have lake views for at least half of the year. I doubt that would be razed or entirely converted to parking.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, KJP said:

The lower level buildings, however, could be partially converted to parking --

When I worked there, those lower buildings with the peaked roofs were full of heavy machinery - drop forges, foundries, presses, etc. as well as polishing, annealing, and anodizing processes - probably needing a LOT of environmental remediation.

• Sad 1

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

On 1/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, KJP said:

In light of this potential project, I remind readers (especially city officials, RTA officials, nearby property owners and others) about my idea to add a station with pull-off lanes for buses on the Cleveland State BRT route. A stop here, especially if the Westinghouse plant adds a variety of mixed uses in its lower-level buildings, should get all-day ridership.

Then again, it might be cheaper to create an intersection on the Shoreway with Cass/West 54th, including a roadway through to the expanding Great Lakes Shipyard. Yes, that means eliminating the soap box derby track. That property would make a nice residential development anyway. Add another intersection at West 45th and get rid of those dangerous ramps to/from Herman Avenue. Perhaps RTA, ODOT and the city should undertake an alternatives analysis??

clevelandstatebrt-west50thstop-s.jpg

I like this sketch up a lot, but I think it was ODOT who dropped the ball on the lack of pedestrian and transit infrastructure during the “conversion”. The rush hour BRT lanes should have continued all the way down the Shoreway. I’m pretty sure RTA was planning on some service along the Shoreway, but the project had a lot of shortcomings. RTA has been doing a bunch of small scale expansions of service (pinecrest, glenwillow, both amazon distribution centers, etc), so it’s really not out of the scope to add a couple stops along the Shoreway.  The only issues I see with these plans are the pull offs, and how difficult it might be to get back into traffic during rush (unless they were given the lanes for partial BRT such as on Clifton). There’s still a ton of potential for this “boulevard”, especially as more and more projects like Westington come to fruition. How much more analysis can we expect after this flop?

Edited by imjustinjk
  • Like 1

RTA's Deputy General Manager for Engineering & Project Management Mike Schipper, who lives in Lakewood, has considered ways of serving these developments and Edgewater Park more effectively. The pull-off lanes are problematic, no doubt. That's why I've since warmed to the idea of intersections (ie: at Cass/West 54th and at West 45th) and raising the speed limit to 45 mph. Brookpark Road is 40-50 mph with intersections near the Fairview Park/North Olmsted line. Bus pull-off lanes may make more sense above the pedestrian tunnel from West 76th because they could be elongations of the existing Edgewater ramps. But I don't know if ODOT would warm up to these. Maybe we could get some community pressure from the CDC and Councilman Zone for an evaluation of these and other ideas?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJP said:

RTA's Deputy General Manager for Engineering & Project Management Mike Schipper, who lives in Lakewood, has considered ways of serving these developments and Edgewater Park more effectively. The pull-off lanes are problematic, no doubt. That's why I've since warmed to the idea of intersections (ie: at Cass/West 54th and at West 45th) and raising the speed limit to 45 mph. Brookpark Road is 40-50 mph with intersections near the Fairview Park/North Olmsted line. Bus pull-off lanes may make more sense above the pedestrian tunnel from West 76th because they could be elongations of the existing Edgewater ramps. But I don't know if ODOT would warm up to these. Maybe we could get some community pressure from the CDC and Councilman Zone for an evaluation of these and other ideas?

I think that the stakeholders would participate in pressuring ODOT. I’m just not sure how much they’ll budge after plopping down $100 mil. I love, love, love the idea of service along the Shoreway. It won’t be extremely difficult or expensive to paint BRT lanes. I always had hoped for more pedestrian/cycling infrastructure as well. RTA has already dipped their toes in the water with limited service to edgewater at the W 73rd ramp - which I used last summer a handful of times and it was great. I think that 45th and 54th should both be serviced by the 55. Is there a reason why 54th wasn’t connected to the Shoreway? It’s almost at the same elevation. There wouldn’t need to be a ramp/bridge built and it would be perfect for an intersection, which could help slow traffic down a bit (I like the Shoreway at 35mph). 

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 2:43 PM, KJP said:

However.... the first floor of the tower is partially below ground on the west side of the building. It has a garage door off West 58th. So it could be used for indoor parking for residents of the tower. Each floor of the tower offers 14,000 square foot floorplates. So maybe set aside 4,000 sf of the ground floor for a lobby/mailroom/elevators. The remaining 10,000 sf is enough space for indoor parking for 50 cars. And, on the north side of the tower, there appears to be enough room for another 60-75 outdoor parking spaces. That might be enough parking for the tower, which I estimate could have about 100 residential units (give or take a few). On-street parking on West 58th (including a few off-street spaces on the east side of the street) were available to employees of Paramount and Westinghouse.

... wow it's like you read my grad school site analysis paper...;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the space can be utilized as an isolation chamber for the Cleveland City Council. I envision a virtual reality or possibly an augmented reality space where council members can discuss the generation and implementation of new regulations and taxes with virtual citizens and special interest groups. This way they can satisfy their desire for power and influence while simultaneously preventing such enactments from actually happening, thereby solving Cleveland's #1 issue which is population stagnation and loss. I'm hoping this can all be done in a green and sustainable way, naturally. 

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Another new Crain's article......

Auction set for contents of namesake for Shoreway's Westinghouse curve

https://www.crainscleveland.com/stan-bullard-blog/auction-set-contents-namesake-shoreways-westinghouse-curve

From that article:

However, the bulk of the 3-acre site is covered primarily with a single-story building.

"You can only accommodate so much parking. What do you do with the rest of it?," asked Rosen, who said he is not related to the ownership of the Rosen-Barton firm.

I really really hope they find a way to keep the extremely awesome low rise portion of the existing complex.

• Like 3

• ColDayMan changed the title to Cleveland: Westinghouse Redevelopment
  • 2 months later...

Sniffles....?

• Confused 1

I'm hearing that this project is in trouble. 

• Sad 2

Westinghouse5.jpg

FRIDAY, AUGUST 9, 2019

Westinghouse, Blanket Mills conversions face adversity

Many of us don't get to see the behind-the-scenes activity that developers go through in renovating old buildings. We get to see the work being done on the outside of buildings and, if we peer through the windows, we can see the construction work being done inside.

But we don't see the arduous environmental analyses, the endless paperwork, the frequent meetings and, of course, the stumbles. If we did, many of us would probably have no desire to become a real estate developer -- if not for the joy of seeing the finished product. And if he or she is lucky, a developer will deliver a finished product more than half of the times he or she tries.

So the situations involving the residential conversions of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co., 1200 W. 58th St., as well as the Northern Ohio Blanket Mills, 3160 W. 33rd St., offer some similarities. But they are at different stages of stumbling, er, development.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/08/westinghouse-blanket-mills-conversions.html

Edited by KJP

don't freak out (i know many of you will)... with site remediation, doesn't demolishing the whole non-tower complex and removing however many feet of soil they need, make a whole lot more sense? then they would have a blank canvas to build on. based on everything we know today (and likely will learn in the next few decades), i would not live on any manufacturing site without significant remediation.

2 hours ago, jfristik said:

... with site remediation, doesn't demolishing the whole non-tower complex and removing however many feet of soil they need, make a whole lot more sense?

Despite the almost flimsy appearance of the lower portions of the complex, the place is massively constructed, once housing multiple foundry, hammer-forge,  and drop-forge operations. I can see how demolishing-and-removing could easily be a daunting project for a residential builder.

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

Interesting that finding a use for that lower level space is the issue. I could see an indoor pool being a huge selling point for the project and a good use of that low level space at Westinghouse. While digging into the contaminated soil would be a non-started on that, I could see raising the area for the pool 5-6 feet, thus having it built above the soil. I would imagine the ceilings in that area are more than high enough to do that and still have ample space above. Could put in some skylights, or even a retractable roof for the summer time (likely getting very expensive with that though). 

*Edit - Sorry, didn't notice this was the Clark-Metro thread when I posted this response. Can a mod move it to the Westinghouse thread, please?

Edited by PoshSteve
Wrong Thread

It is the case that we are not moving forward.    It not for a specific reason or anything speculated above  -- it is  just as simple as we hard time matching up our sources and uses.  It is an awesome set of buildings and we hope a catalytic  project emerges.

• Like 4

Thanks for the clarification, @misterjoshr. I will post a new article.

EDIT -- here it is......

Edison-Westinghouse2015.jpg

MONDAY, AUGUST 12, 2019

It's official: Westinghouse redevelopment fizzles

A principal of the real estate development firm that was pursuing renovation and redevelopment of the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Co., 1200 W. 58th St., confirmed that the firm has decided not to go forward with the project.

NEOtrans broke the news about the renovation in January, and it again broke news on Aug. 9 that the project to convert the 303,000-square-foot vacant industrial complex into residential, parking and perhaps other uses might not happen.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/08/its-official-westinghouse-redevelopment.html

Edited by KJP

24 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Well, now that we are finished with that fantasy, let's give it away to someone who will put a manufacturing facility in there and put a thousand people to work!

I am quite sure that would be a bigger fantasy.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

Well, now that we are finished with that fantasy, let's give it away to someone who will put a manufacturing facility in there and put a thousand people to work!

So this property has been available for sale for two years, and it has been largely vacant for longer than that. Please tell me why aren't prospective industrial users banging down the doors to occupy this building?

BTW, the maximum employment this building ever had was 500 people -- more than 50 years ago, when automation and single-level, horizontally integrated manufacturing buildings started making multi-story facilities like this obsolete. Though it's not like you haven't heard that before. I'm not sure why you choose not to believe it.

As if that's neither here or there. This thread is about redevelopment, which is no longer happening here. Thus this thread should probably be moved into the dead projects part of the forum. I look forward to the day when it can be moved out of there.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Terdolph said:

It can not be sold at market rates.  The city should buy it, then give it away to a manufacturer who will employ men with low skills.  It has the ability to handle heavy machinery which most multi-story buildings do not.  If it is used for industrial purposes, substantial remediation will not be required.  Repeat-the city should buy it and give it away to anyone credible who can operate it as a manufacturing facility.  If necessary, the Cleveland Foundation, Gund Foundation etc. should give the city millions for that purpose rather than funding social welfare programs.

I am baffled by the city's willingness to invest and  give away millions for residential development, sports venues, etc. (and I am not against those things) and its miserlyness when it comes to industrial development that will generate the tax revenue that pays for all the other give aways. 

Something is out of balance with our priorities.

No modern manufacturing firm is going to choose a multi-story building in 2019 no matter what the cost is. If a manufacturer did want it, the city would likely, gladly, help with the cost. What the city isn't going to do is buy it speculatively to then sell to an end user. And the city isn't good at marketing properties so you wouldn't want them to do that anyways.

It's definitely not a "fantasy" to put apartments in a building like this. Apartments have been going in in buildings like this for decades. Add to all of this the increasingly residential character of the neighborhood around it, it's highly unlikely to be an industrial use ever again.

The city and philanthropic communities would also be beyond thrilled to fund more industrial development - land assembly (for the sprawling sites necessary for modern industrial) is the toughest issue, not availability of funds.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Westinghouse+from+Shoreway+Aug2019.jpg

FRIDAY, JULY 16, 2021

Westinghouse site may see $85 million reno with hotel, apartments, shops

When an abandoned industrial property has a great location and great views, eventually the right investor with the right program at the right time is going to find it and redevelop it no matter how difficult that site is.

The latest property to fit that bill is the abandoned Westinghouse factory along Cleveland's West Shoreway, located at 1200 W. 58th St. at the north end of the Gordon Square neighborhood. It has several factors going for it this time, despite at least one prior attempt that came up empty.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2021/07/westinghouse-site-may-see-85-million.html

• Like 15
  • Love 6
  • Thanks 1

Interesting spot for a hotel. I really feel like the tower would be better suited for apartments, but this area could and should be mixed use. I think residents in the area are going to complain about the hotel portion because of traffic, Uber/Lyft drop offs and pick ups, etc. I wonder what brand they have in mind... I could see an Ace Hotel here. They are opening in smaller markets and do locate in non-downtown areas that are hip and trendy. The shorter building with the vaulted ceiling would make for a cool market type use or beer hall. 

31 minutes ago, mas1092 said:

Interesting spot for a hotel. I really feel like the tower would be better suited for apartments, but this area could and should be mixed use. I think residents in the area are going to complain about the hotel portion because of traffic, Uber/Lyft drop offs and pick ups, etc. I wonder what brand they have in mind... I could see an Ace Hotel here. They are opening in smaller markets and do locate in non-downtown areas that are hip and trendy. The shorter building with the vaulted ceiling would make for a cool market type use or beer hall. 

All the more reason to have this to keep the traffic out of the neighborhood......

West Shoreway-Cass-West 54th intersection-1s.jpg

West Shoreway-West 45th intersection-1s.jpg

West Shoreway-intersections-overview1s.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

If they do put in a small hotel l don't see any additional traffic as a problem for the neighborhood. Even with all the development in Battery Park and the Edison everytime l've driven through the area traffic was pretty sparse. 

The only real problem l see we with development in the near west side is street parking gets a little more difficult. But actual traffic? No, not a problem yet. And after all, our neighborhood development is still small potatoes compared to places like Chicago or Boston etc. As Cleveland's go l'm sure most of us on this forum are outliers in that we like density while the average Clevelander doesn't. As far as l'm concerned density offers way more pluses than minuses so bring it on!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 10 months later...

Not sure why I posted this last October in the regular Detroit-Shoreway/Gordon Square thread. It's a special project and has its own thread...

On 10/30/2021 at 4:59 PM, KJP said:

Westinghouse-from-Shoreway-July2021-1.jp

Ex-Westinghouse plant sold to developer

By Ken Prendergast / October 30, 2021

One of the most visible properties on Cleveland’s West Side is the former Westinghouse plant, as it towers over the West Shoreway near Edgewater Park. And it’s now in the hands of an investor who intends to redevelop the historic property into a mix of uses including residential, hotel, restaurant and commercial. News of a pending sale was first reported by NEOtrans in July.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blog/2021/10/30/ex-westinghouse-plant-sold-to-developer/

• Thanks 1