KJP

Covington Catholic High School

20 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

And finally, why would the color of people's skin be a red flag to you if you were a parent looking for a "healthy environment" for you kid? Doesn't that strike you as a bit racist? Shouldn't you be more concerned with quality of teachers, curriculum, extracurricular activities, advanced course offerings, cost, location, type of religious affiliation or lack thereof, etc.? Why would the color of someone's skin be troubling to you when there is a lengthy list of much more important items to consider? 

That "lengthy list" is literally an opinion, everyone ranks things differently.

I grew up going to private elementary & middle school and grew up in an all white rich (essentially gated) neighborhood.  That experience absolutely shaped how I grew up and viewed other people.  Once I moved here to Cincinnati, I was exposed to diversity for the first time, something that I didn't understand.  I wasn't overtly racist, but I absolutely had biases based on my parents and my surroundings growing up.  Now that I have a kid on the way, I made sure to choose an area to live that had a good school system, but also one that has some diversity and is near other lower-income neighborhoods.  Being around different people is something I wished I had growing up, and I want to make sure my kids get the experience I didn't have, I think it is invaluable.

6 minutes ago, 10albersa said:

That "lengthy list" is literally an opinion, everyone ranks things differently.

I grew up going to private elementary & middle school and grew up in an all white rich (essentially gated) neighborhood.  That experience absolutely shaped how I grew up and viewed other people.  Once I moved here to Cincinnati, I was exposed to diversity for the first time, something that I didn't understand.  I wasn't overtly racist, but I absolutely had biases based on my parents and my surroundings growing up.  Now that I have a kid on the way, I made sure to choose an area to live that had a good school system, but also one that has some diversity and is near other lower-income neighborhoods.  Being around different people is something I wished I had growing up, and I want to make sure my kids get the experience I didn't have, I think it is invaluable.

I grew up in a sterile all white suburb.  Spent my whole childhood there and was afraid to go to Lakewood LOL.  Thats the way you are grown to feel in those environments. that if you go somewhere that you have a preconceived notion about and where people are different, its bad news.  It took me getting the hell out of that place , no names, Bay Village, OH, to actually grow as a human, become successful in my career, as a father, as a husband and as a leader.  Cant be a leader without understanding other humans. Cant understand humans without living amongst them, talking to them, asking them questions.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

And go ahead and please tell me my serious issues?  Enlighten me.  I cant wait to hear what middle of ohio soccer fan has to tell me about myself.

[MOD VOICE]

Or let's not.

[/MOD VOICE]

EDIT: I see I was 3 minutes too late.

Do not directly verbally attack other forumers.  Also, do not invite them to do so.  This thread is overheated enough as it is, and the Racism thread was already locked once--and not just on my initiative--for overheated discussion of this Covington Catholic issue before it got its own thread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cbussoccer said:

What is the mods' opinions of this individual calling a group of high school kids "testosterone filled monkeys" and "testosterone filled apes". Do you support the dehumanization of high school kids in this manner? Is this the type of crap that is tolerated here?

The mods' opinion is that direct attacks on forumers are different than attacks on figures of public interest, though I admit I have mixed feelings about people like the Covington Catholic boys who are famous only because of the pernicious magic of the social media echo chamber.

You can call Trump a racist lying Nazi traitor troglodyte.

You can call Brett Kavanaugh a washed-up rapey frat bro and fellater of wannabe autocrats.

You cannot call ColDayMan a bumptious scallywag.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, Gramarye said:

So how would one even go about proving one's innocence to Grand Inquisitor DarkandStormy?

2 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

Very Stable Genius

The View, admitting media bias and trying to find anything to get Trump out of office.  "There are people who even with the new information are clinging to this like a life preserver."  Just more fake news.

• Like 1

On 1/23/2019 at 9:45 AM, Brutus_buckeye said:

Donnie inviting them to the WH and Tweeting on their behalf is the worst thing that could have happened to these kids. If he stayed out of it, it would have run its course, there would be a pause and people would move on and likely both sides would have a détente. Now, you have Trump interject himself and it further polarizes the situation for both the kids and the school. The kids are now pawns in the whole thing when they should just focus on being regular HS students.

Man, sounds like Obama to me too... you're telling me he wouldn't have invited that murdered Houston girls family to the WH only to find her mom was friends with the killer?

2 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

The mods' opinion is that direct attacks on forumers are different than attacks on figures of public interest, though I admit I have mixed feelings about people like the Covington Catholic boys who are famous only because of the pernicious magic of the social media echo chamber.

You can call Trump a racist lying Nazi traitor troglodyte.

You can call Brett Kavanaugh a washed-up rapey frat bro and fellater of wannabe autocrats.

I'm sure this would have been your view point if someone on here would have called on of the Black Israelites "testosterone filled apes" for publicly humiliating high school kids, right?  

• Confused 1

Actually, yes, that would be my response.  Have I given you any basis to suspect otherwise?  That I'd be inclined to censor colorful invective directed against the Black Hebrew Israelites?

How about this: I'll censor any statement about the Black Hebrew Israelites if it's more vulgar and conscience-shocking than what they spewed at the students.  Best of luck.

• Like 1

You do realize the school costs a pretty penny to attend and that the majority of the Hispanic and black people likely cannot afford the tuition. 

And yet many other Catholic schools in other cities have lots of Hispanic and black kids. I'm sorry, but the Catholic school culture in Cincinnati is toxic for many reasons. 

Furthermore, if you want to worry yourself with the demographics of a private school not perfectly reflecting the deomgraphics of a neighboring city (because racism obviously!!!), perhaps you should consider that 5% of Covington's population of 40,000 would be 2,000. The school is all male, so let's cut that number in half, bringing us to 1,000. Now, consider only a small percentage of those 1,000 males are actually high school-aged. How many people would that be? Maybe 100? So, 5% of 100 would be 5. Now, let's consider that (assuming your numbers are correct) 2% of Covington Catholic's enrollment of ~550 students would be ~10 students. That's at least twice the expected number if we are to take your viewpoint that the school's demographics must perfectly reflect the surrounding area's demographics, or else racism. 

When it comes to black people, very few black people are Catholic and the average income of black people in the area - or most people in Covington given the average household income of ~35k - would tend to be too low to afford the tuition.

Are you arguing that the reason there are not more minorities in American private schools is not because of racism? Are you arguing that the racial wealth gap has nothing to do with racism? Are you arguing that historic and systemic racism have no effect on these communities and their relative success? Because if that is your argument then the only logical conclusion is that you believe that blacks and Hispanics are, on average, poorer because they are inferior. That's pretty damning. 

And finally, why would the color of people's skin be a red flag to you if you were a parent looking for a "healthy environment" for you kid? Doesn't that strike you as a bit racist? Shouldn't you be more concerned with quality of teachers, curriculum, extracurricular activities, advanced course offerings, cost, location, type of religious affiliation or lack thereof, etc.? Why would the color of someone's skin be troubling to you when there is a lengthy list of much more important items to consider? 

Because I want my kids to experience a variety of different cultures and backgrounds. I want them to have black friends, and Asian friends, and Hispanic friends so they can better understand what life is like for those people and empathize with them. Because I grew up in an all-white school in southern Ohio and heard the n-word on a regular basis. Because it took me going to college and then living in a big city on the east coast to meet people of color, people who had a different religion than me, and people that had wildly different backgrounds and world views. And because I believe having those experiences is one of the most important aspects of education, right up there with all of those things you mention. The fact that you think that is racist tells me a lot about your own worldview. 

Edited by DEPACincy
  • Like 2

punch's line is a good punchline for this thread, which has become a joke.  Locked until further notice or until the next forum crash takes this with it to Purgatory or below.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

justice prevails?

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on all the many, many, many lawsuits that Trump has settled.  Based on your reaction here, the people receiving a settlement from Trump got justice for his wrongdoing. Are you really prepared to admit that?  

19 hours ago, eastvillagedon said:

justice prevails?

I'm curious what this means for the remaining and forthcoming lawsuits against other outlets. At a minimum, the legal team is now very well funded to pursue these additional cases. There are already suits against NBC Universal and the Washington Post., and rumor is one is coming against Gannett, the Cincinnati Enquirer parent company.

36 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

I would be curious to hear your thoughts on all the many, many, many lawsuits that Trump has settled.  Based on your reaction here, the people receiving a settlement from Trump got justice for his wrongdoing. Are you really prepared to admit that?  

There's no evidence anyone is getting "millions and millions" from this, least of all evidence from Breitbart. 

36 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I'm curious what this means for the remaining and forthcoming lawsuits against other outlets. At a minimum, the legal team is now very well funded to pursue these additional cases. There are already suits against NBC Universal and the Washington Post., and rumor is one is coming against Gannett, the Cincinnati Enquirer parent company.

The best guess as to what it means is similar settlements, and contra Breitbart, we have no idea how generous the settlements were.  One can hope that they were enough to motivate bias-control measures in the newsrooms but the modern media market is so frenetically high-paced (the enemy of care and accuracy) that it's generally more economically rational to lead with the sensationalist story immediately, while it's hot, and settle later with respect to any that in hindsight give rise to any risk of liability (remember that many won't).

These kids were punks.  Act like assholes, become the victims, get paid. white privilege prevails yet again.

And this coming from a wealthy, white male.  

30 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

These kids were punks.  Act like assholes, become the victims, get paid. white privilege prevails yet again.

Yep.  

35 minutes ago, BelievelandD1 said:

I don't think they acted like assholes, honestly.  Certainly not by the standards of high school boys and not even really by universal standards, either.  They were approached, not the reverse, and they were where they were because they were waiting for the bus on a school trip, meaning that even if they'd wanted to move away (which they shouldn't have been pressured to do in public, anyway, where they had as much right to be as anyone else), they'd have at least had to hesitated without the go-ahead from an adult from their school (and it didn't look there were any nearby in the video).

7 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

I don't think they acted like assholes, honestly.  Certainly not by the standards of high school boys and not even really by universal standards, either.  They were approached, not the reverse, and they were where they were because they were waiting for the bus on a school trip, meaning that even if they'd wanted to move away (which they shouldn't have been pressured to do in public, anyway, where they had as much right to be as anyone else), they'd have at least had to hesitated without the go-ahead from an adult from their school (and it didn't look there were any nearby in the video).

There's YouTube videos that show otherwise, harassing women at the event and doing “Tomahawk chops” and chanting around a Native American man isn’t a good look (re: assholes).  The whole thing was an ishtshow.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:04 PM, jmecklenborg said:

Again, there is absolutely no justification for wearing any political clothes by students at a Catholic school.  Trump could not get a job at a Catholic school due to his endless personal and professional scandals, yet these kids are endorsing him. 

Reposting my own quote.  

Yeah, I can't imagine going on my Washington DC senior trip and wearing a pro-Bill Clinton t-shirt and my old Catholic high school allowing it.  I guess we had better sense in the 90's...

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

as I recall the reports of this incident, there were only a handful of kids who had on MAGA hats, and that they had just purchased them at some vendor. It's not that they were wearing them for the whole duration of the trip. So it just seems like an impromptu decision. That said, I didn't realize Catholic schools were so strict. 

35 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:
35 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Again, there is absolutely no justification for wearing any political clothes by students at a Catholic school.  Trump could not get a job at a Catholic school due to his endless personal and professional scandals, yet these kids are endorsing him. 

Reposting my own quote.  

They were at the March for Life.  MAGA is of course not directly related to that but I'm pretty sure it's going too far to say that none of them should wear any political clothes.  I guarantee you that there were a lot of Catholic school students there wearing clothes with pro-life messages, at least.  Unless you're arguing that the MAGA slogan/brand is unique somehow (or perhaps that pro-life messages are unique in the other direction), I don't see how it's so different.

4 minutes ago, eastvillagedon said:

as I recall the reports of this incident, there were only a handful of kids who had on MAGA hats, and that they had just purchased them at some vendor. It's not that they were wearing them for the whole duration of the trip. So it just seems like an impromptu decision. That said, I didn't realize Catholic schools were so strict. 

Schools have a lot of latitude in terms of making rules of school trips, but in general, I don't think most of them actually are that strict, regardless of whether they could be.