KJP

Covington Catholic High School

It appears there is a foul culture at this school and in this community that has been around for at least six years....

Is This Picture from a Covington Catholic High School Basketball Game?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covington-catholic-black-paint/

"Most of us have been conditioned to regard military combat as exciting and glamorous -- an opportunity for men to prove their competence and courage. Since armies are legal, we feel that war is acceptable; in general, nobody feels that that war is criminal or that accepting it is a criminal attitude. In fact, we have been brainwashed. War is neither glamorous nor attractive. It is monstrous. Its very nature is one of tragedy and suffering" --Dalai Lama

You are judging a kid based on a school spirit demonstration where they would have a black out, blue out and white out, that occurred when the kids there were 3rd and 4th graders. Way to stereotype. From one side of your mouth you talk tolerance and the other side you immediately preach division. Be better Ken, be better.

• Like 2

As a Catholic I'm surprised that the chaperones allowed them to wear political gear like the red MAGA hats.  I'm Pro-Life, but feel like the best way to further reduce abortion is to create more support services for pregnant women.  I'm not sure how these folks thought that wearing MAGA hats was going to help convince people to rethink their Pro-Choice beliefs.  If anything they've done tremendous damage to the Pro-Life cause.  With a President that extols nothing but hate and misogyny as well as has record low approval ratings I don't think that was wise.

• Like 3

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

^ From  what the kids were saying, the gear was for sale all through town. They purchased it from a street vendor after the march. THey had a few hours before the bus picked them up to do some sightseeing. They likely had freedom to explore without some chaperones, which is understandable because they are 16-17 year olds and it is not completely unreasonable to give them some freedom at that age.

I admit the hats were bad optics, and probably Phillips saw the kids in hats and decided they would be prey to exploit for his cause and it provided a good photo op for Phillips group. The boys were naïve and not used to Washington culture and what they would have encountered and fell victim to a professional like Phillips who used them for his own group's political gain.

3 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

*Clinks on Thread*

*Swiftly exits thread forever* 

Jokes on you - you posted and now I'm quoting you so you're getting a notification 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Very Stable Genius

8 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I admit the hats were bad optics, and probably Phillips saw the kids in hats and decided they would be prey to exploit for his cause and it provided a good photo op for Phillips group. The boys were naïve and not used to Washington culture and what they would have encountered and fell victim to a professional like Phillips who used them for his own group's political gain.

You mean...a Native American elder wishing to celebrate his Indigenous People?

Very Stable Genius

6 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

*Clinks on Thread*

*Swiftly exits thread forever* 

Yep. This story should just die already.  These freak out videos from both sides are stupid and do nothing to further any real discourse.  It's no surprise Donnie is inviting them to the WH.  

• Like 3

I'm not sure this warrants a separate thread.  It was blown up into a bigger deal than it really is, imo.  Did dozens of teens surround Phillips?  No.  Did new video show the kids were completely innocent and not at all being racist?  No.  Is the fact that there are teenagers from a Kentucky High School who are likely racist (or at the very least were taunting a Native American elder) newsworthy?  No.

The media and people on twitter blew it up into a bigger issue because of the MAGA hats.  But look, these kids were already at an anti-choice rally.  We should hardly be surprised that they donned MAGA hats and jeered at a Native American.

Very Stable Genius

Donnie inviting them to the WH and Tweeting on their behalf is the worst thing that could have happened to these kids. If he stayed out of it, it would have run its course, there would be a pause and people would move on and likely both sides would have a détente. Now, you have Trump interject himself and it further polarizes the situation for both the kids and the school. The kids are now pawns in the whole thing when they should just focus on being regular HS students.

• Like 3

Just now, Brutus_buckeye said:

Donnie inviting them to the WH and Tweeting on their behalf is the worst thing that could have happened to these kids. If he stayed out of it, it would have run its course, there would be a pause and people would move on and likely both sides would have a détente. Now, you have Trump interject himself and it further polarizes the situation for both the kids and the school. The kids are now pawns in the whole thing when they should just focus on being regular HS students.

All Donnie has left are wedge events.  He exploits them for his own gain instead of stating out.  I remember Obama getting a lot of heat for stepping into the Henry Louis Gates thing.  And I think that was blown out of proportion. 

• Like 2

There are certain issues that may merit presidential comment. THis is not one of them. Presidential comment here is only meant to agitate and drive a wedge. From the kids POV, it may feel nice to have someone in power stand up for you when everyone seems against you, but the sad thing, (and both sides do it), is that as soon as the usefulness of the person or group runs out, they are just cast aside.  If I were their parents, I would not let them give interviews because they are just being used.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

There are certain issues that may merit presidential comment. THis is not one of them. Presidential comment here is only meant to agitate and drive a wedge. From the kids POV, it may feel nice to have someone in power stand up for you when everyone seems against you, but the sad thing, (and both sides do it), is that as soon as the usefulness of the person or group runs out, they are just cast aside.  If I were their parents, I would not let them give interviews because they are just being used.  

The Dad of one them made a payment to a PR firm (which is where the statement came from) which led to the main kid scoring an interview with the Today Show.  The parents have already bought into the victim grift machine, literally.

Edited by DarkandStormy
  • Like 1

Very Stable Genius

18 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I actually hadn't heard yet that they had been invited to the WH.  However, they were wearing MAGA hats and Trump's eye is always drawn to whatever the hot (preferably hot in the inflammatory sense of the word) issue the media is going crazy over at any moment in time.  But also remember the real reason they were there in DC was to attend the March for Life ... an event at which President Trump spoke.  This incident happened while they were waiting for their bus out of downtown DC near the National Mall.

EDIT: That said, one could of course be ... forgiven ... for thinking that it wasn't their stand against abortion that attracted the president's notice.

6 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

The Dad of one them made a payment to a PR firm (which is where the statement came from) which led to the main kid scoring an interview with the Today Show.  The parents have already bought into the victim grift machine, literally.

I think having a PR firm manage some of this is a good thing to a certain extent. YOu don't want teenage boys going off half cocked.

You could tell by the Today show interview that the kid was coached.

I just don't think the kids should be exposed to the media given all that has happened.

If the parents wanted to speak on behalf the kids, I can see that. I would not want my kid to speak if that were me.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

You are judging a kid based on a school spirit demonstration where they would have a black out, blue out and white out, that occurred when the kids there were 3rd and 4th graders. Way to stereotype. From one side of your mouth you talk tolerance and the other side you immediately preach division. Be better Ken, be better.

Reading the link, it doesn't sound like the intent was explicitly racist.  That said, I am surprised no functioning adult questioned it, especially with how easily it could be seen as racist given blackface history.  The fact is, intent or not, it was a poor choice now coming back to haunt the students and school.   

• Like 1

It may have been questioned after the fact or when it came to light. The photo is 7 years old so the memory of any controversy over it has likely faded. Chances are, considering it was on a KY Prep Sports website, nobody gave it a second thought.

I am sure the admin of the school would not let them do a blackout in the forseeable future given the current PR the school is going through.  

40 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

I'm not sure this warrants a separate thread.  It was blown up into a bigger deal than it really is, imo.  Did dozens of teens surround Phillips?  No.  Did new video show the kids were completely innocent and not at all being racist?  No.  Is the fact that there are teenagers from a Kentucky High School who are likely racist (or at the very least were taunting a Native American elder) newsworthy?  No.

The media and people on twitter blew it up into a bigger issue because of the MAGA hats.  But look, these kids were already at an anti-choice rally.  We should hardly be surprised that they donned MAGA hats and jeered at a Native American.

Yeah, at this point, none of it is surprising, but it is hardly worst example we've seen of either racism or bad behavior from Trump supporters.  It makes you worry for the future and what some of these kids are being taught at home, but there are definitely worse culprits and things of concern these days.  Honestly, though, as I said in the other thread, the MAGA hat has become a symbol and has turned provocative in and of itself due to what it now stands for.  People wear it at their own risk.

• Like 1

There is simply no question given the life and current activities of Donald Trump that he could get a job at a Catholic school.  Yet there are those dumbass kids wearing the hats and shirts and flags. 

They also heckled women in another video and in yet another one of them said "it's not rape if she likes it".  So those characters should be expelled for those episodes. 

3 minutes ago, TBideon said:

Good luck to girls who meet these creeps in a few years at college parties. They really look and act like rapists-in-training

Yes, but they're white and seem to have some money, so there's little chance of conviction even if they do sexually assault someone.  Let's hope most of them mature and learn from past mistakes before any go too far.

Edited by jonoh81

6 minutes ago, TBideon said:

Good luck to girls who meet these creeps in a few years at college parties. They really look and act like rapists-in-training

Sad.

What a biased and judgmental statement that is completely devoid of facts. These are kids you are talking about. How disgusting.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Sad.

What a biased and judgmental statement that is completely devoid of facts. These are kids you are talking about. How disgusting.

Kids rape.  They bully others to the point of suicide.  Being young does not make them any less incapable of doing something terrible, especially if their parents suck.

16 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

But that is not relevant to the video. Lets stay on that topic.

It's relevant to your comment on them just being kids.  Age has nothing to do with the ability to commit a terrible act.   

Heh.

I see young Catholic school men civically engaged in the pro-life cause, quickly learning what it's like to be subjected to ruinous and sustained attacks from a prejudiced media and Twittersphere, and see people who could be the next Brett Kavanaugh.

Others here apparently see a bunch of entitled white prep school boys that of course are going to go out and rape women at the first opportunity (because it's always fair to make sweeping negative generalizations about this demographic that would be grounds for ostracization from polite company for making about any other combination of race or sex), who will of course be guilty because we just know they're guilty and will get away with it only because they're white and (likely) wealthy, and worry they could be the next Brett Kavanaugh.

• Like 1

I was in a in the mountains all weekend with no internet or cell service, from Friday until late Monday. Luckily, I missed this entire story. I can't believe how many hours grown adults have spent getting worked up over this. Now that the original video has shown to be completely out of context and misleading, the witch hunt is in full effect to find something - anything - these kids might have done that was naughty.

This is yet another example of a non-story the far left blows completely out of proportion via social media, leaving middle America collectively scratching its head and/or rolling its eyes. It plays right into Trump's hand and further divides the nation. This is a good take on this pattern of behavior:

How Twitter could be the death of liberal democracy

https://theweek.com/articles/818951/how-twitter-could-death-liberal-democracy

15 minutes ago, Gramarye said:

Heh.

I see young Catholic school men civically engaged in the pro-life cause, quickly learning what it's like to be subjected to ruinous and sustained attacks from a prejudiced media and Twittersphere, and see people who could be the next Brett Kavanaugh.

Others here apparently see a bunch of entitled white prep school boys that of course are going to go out and rape women at the first opportunity (because it's always fair to make sweeping negative generalizations about this demographic that would be grounds for ostracization from polite company for making about any other combination of race or sex), who will of course be guilty because we just know they're guilty and will get away with it only because they're white and (likely) wealthy, and worry they could be the next Brett Kavanaugh.

people always talk about how the kid looked in the video and say that he is lying, or his smug look shows how racist he is. This is just a disgusting statement and form of bigotry on people's part. Only the kid truly knows what he is thinking at the moment. We may perceive things to be different based on the kids reaction, but that is our perception, only the kid truly knows the truth in his intent, and we need to take his word on that. Our perceptions are often wrong.

I remember an employee of mine at one time. When training, I would have to correct him and he would say he would do better and then chuckle and laugh. At first this was annoying and I felt he was not taking me seriously, but the more I observed this, I realized my perception was wrong, this was a nervous habit he had when handling criticism and uncomfortable news. It was not that he was not taking the criticism seriously, but his nervous habit of internalizing it. It was a quirk. I misperceived at first and if I was quick to make a decision, I could have fired him early for appearing not to care. This person turned into a great producer for the business.   Point being, we do not know what the boy was thinking, so to try an impart that he was lying or he is an inherent racist and was drooling with white privilege in his encounter is just irresponsible. That is just your perception and often times perception is wrong.

^Ok cool.  Still waiting for conservatives to re-assess their perceptions on Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, Eric Garner, Alton Sterling, Laquan McDonald, Walter Scott, Terrance Crutcher, and Stephon Clark.  Where is the media redemption tour for them?

• Like 4

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, freefourur said:

All Donnie has left are wedge events.

Pretty telling - if the invite thing is true - that he came to the defense of these kids faster than the Parkland students.  Did he invite Heather Heyer's mother to the White House, by the way?

Very Stable Genius

Man, f*** these kids and their Trump loving parents and teachers. I don't want to hear that we don't know what's in these kids hearts or that they're some victims in a liberal media smear campaign. I feel a tiny bit of sympathy for the kids because they were obviously in way over their heads dealing with the Black Israelites and other mainstays at DC protests, and their chaperones should have kept them out of the situation entirely. But I wholeheartedly believe they were in the wrong here. They knew what they were doing when they got in the Native's face and engaged in the taunting cheers and dancing while wearing MAGA hats and gear. They harassed women, again on video. They said things like "it's not rape if you enjoy it" (after just attending a pro-life march, no less! Shows how they really feel about women, I think).

The thing is, these kids have probably never really been outside of their safe little Northern Kentucky bubbles, and it clearly shows. NKY is extremely homogeneous- almost all white and extremely conservative. Cov Cath is the school that wouldn't let their valedictorian deliver his speech because he was gay. This is the school that allowed blackface to be worn at a basketball game. The school doesn't have a single person of color on staff. Given these circumstances, and the feeling of entitlement that has been drilled into them for years, their behavior in DC is hardly surprising. I don't know anyone who went to Cov Cath, but I grew up Catholic in Cincinnati, and I do know many people who were/are just like these kids. 

I was hoping that this story might lead to a little introspection from Cov Cath and NKY generally, but it seems like the opposite has occurred. The parents and community feel like THEY are the victims, and they have nothing to apologize for. They won't be doing any soul searching to see what enabled this situation to occur, and I think this experience has only hardened them into feeling more like victims than they already did. The right, especially the religious right, seems to be very attracted to and motivated by the idea that they are persistently under attack. 

Edited by edale
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, taestell said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Not quite, in this instance. It's become apparent that true ignorance is holding onto the quickly outdated view that these kids did something wrong. Those who feel that way seem the exact opposite of blissful. Ignorance is, in fact, blind outrage.

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

^Ok cool.  Still waiting for conservatives to re-assess their perceptions on Trayvon Martin, Tamir Rice, Philando Castile, Eric Garner, Alton Sterling, Laquan McDonald, Walter Scott, Terrance Crutcher, and Stephon Clark.  Where is the media redemption tour for them?

I will gladly say Tamir Rice and Philando Castile were innocent victims in the whole thing.  as for the others I have not done enough research to adequately form an opinion either way.

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

This is a whataboutism and off topic.

But I appreciate you taking the conversation in this direction nonetheless, since if you're making an analogy between these kids and those, at least that analogy structurally acknowledges that the media and blogosophere did wrong by the Covington Catholic boys, and now the question is whether they did wrong (and apologized for such) by others as well.

• Like 1

Again, there is absolutely no justification for wearing any political clothes by students at a Catholic school.  Trump could not get a job at a Catholic school due to his endless personal and professional scandals, yet these kids are endorsing him. 

• Like 1