ryanlammi

2020 Democratic Presidential Primary

16 hours ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I think Bloomberg would be disastrous for the Dem party in the election. He is a liberal who is very authoritative and unapologetically tough on crime. While he may say the right things on gun control and the environment, he would really turn off a lot of progressives. Moderates may rally around him as a suitable alternative to Biden, but the big difference between Bloomberg and Biden is that in my opinion, Biden appears to be more conciliatory and open to discussion with his political rivals on the left whereas Bloomberg appears to be set in his ways and feel he knows best.

I don't see him playing well in Iowa and some of the other Midwestern states as he is too authoritative, however, I also don't see the progressives playing well there either. I can see his entry leading to a brokered convention and if he wins, a ton of progressives being turned off, similar to 2016, and refusing to follow him.

I don't think he'll get anywhere. He'll be Howard Schultzed and the moderates will stay loyal to Biden. For exactly the reasons you mentioned, I don't see very many states he'd be competitive in from a primary election standpoint.

Edited by mu2010

1 hour ago, mu2010 said:

I don't think he'll get anywhere. He'll be Howard Schultzed and the moderates will stay loyal to Biden. For exactly the reasons you mentioned, I don't see very many states he'd be competitive in from a primary election standpoint.

The thing about Shultz is that he is truly a moderate in the vein of Klobucher or Biden or Buttigieg, where they stake out moderate positions and seek to find conciliatory terms with the left flank on issues that may be important to them.    Bloomberg's issue, for better or worse, is that he is hard left on certain issues like Gun Control, or the Environment, but he is hard right on issues dealing with crime and punishment, border security and the military such that he does not really represent the center of the Democratic party very well and while adding things up, he may land in the center, there is really nothing centrist about his positions. 

Edited by Brutus_buckeye

55 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

The thing about Shultz is that he is truly a moderate in the vein of Klobucher or Biden or Buttigieg, where they stake out moderate positions and seek to find conciliatory terms with the left flank on issues that may be important to them.    Bloomberg's issue, for better or worse, is that he is hard left on certain issues like Gun Control, or the Environment, but he is hard right on issues dealing with crime and punishment, border security and the military such that he does not really represent the center of the Democratic party very well and while adding things up, he may land in the center, there is really nothing centrist about his positions. 

I think, to that end, Bloomberg's positions illustrate the need for a third party - because he fits neither party's litmus test right now...

I think the NYT is trying to push that narrative for clicks, or rather overhyping something that's perfectly normal.  Buttigieg is doing surprisingly well, which makes others defensive about why they aren't also doing surprisingly well.  Also, you're never as big of an enemy of the players on the other team as when you're actually in the middle of the game.

Football players might well be friends off the field.  But how do you think Michigan players would have reacted if you asked them in the middle of the game "hey, why are you losing to Appalachian State?"

On 11/13/2019 at 2:10 PM, DarkandStormy said:

It's funny because he says the exact same thing in February as November... gotta love a politician that is actually consistent and says what he believes!!

Mayor Pete FTW

He has stayed on message though.  He's said since he first landed on the national news segments that he's for single-payer, it just so happens that he thinks he can get to it quicker by giving Americans a choice vs. going all-in on major change at once.

Edited by 10albersa

Yeah, I'm not a huge Buttigieg fan (or at least not for President), but yeah I think it's clear there's no big "gotcha" there

The cult of personality that has developed around Beto is really annoying. His supporters are now attacking Pete because I guess they think the media was unfair to Beto and is favoring Pete. In reality though, there's very little policy difference between Beto and Pete.