BTW, that was in response to another misinformed Tweet by Trump...
Edited by KJP

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

2 hours ago, taestell said:

Freudian slip?

Sooo, “the blacks” aren’t considered Mississippians? Shocking that it came from an election official in Mississippi and she thought her message was private. 

38 minutes ago, stpats44113 said:

Sooo, “the blacks” aren’t considered Mississippians? Shocking that it came from an election official in Mississippi and she thought her message was private. 

no they are Mississippians, they are just not people.  

3 hours ago, freefourur said:

no they are Mississippians, they are just not people.  

That’s even a worse take on it and yet, probably more accurate. 

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

A reminder that racism is based on ignorance....

FB_IMG_1593879695348.jpg

Lakota people were arrested for protesting on their own land so that Trump can prattle on about statues at his super spreader event.

2 hours ago, freefourur said:

Lakota people were arrested for protesting on their own land so that Trump can prattle on about statues at his super spreader event.

No one was protesting on "their own land." The folks who were arrested parked a bunch of vans on the street, took off the tires so as to make a roadblock, and attempted to block everyday Americans from accessing the public event. They were rightfully arrested. It wasn't anyone's land, it was everyone's land - a public roadway.

Anyone who thinks their opinions are so righteous that the "other side" must be prevented from having events is a danger to a free society. No one would care if these folks had their own event some place else, the problem is that the freedom to peacefully assemble isn't enough for the fascist left - they want that right for themselves, and they want to take it away from those they don't like. These sort of roadblocks at presidential events are a perfect example of that in action.

Nope, that land belongs to the Lakota.  

The black hills belong to them and the president had no business holding an event on land that belong to them via treaty. 

Edited by freefourur

On 6/11/2020 at 5:21 PM, Toddguy said:

What about other Ohio cities...any monuments, statues, street names that are problematic?

So I was surprised and dismayed to discover this weekend that there is a John Morgan Hunt “heritage” trail following the path of a confederate general’s forces through southern Ohio. 

It seems to me like they are glorifying the confederates; described as a “daring” group of men. And “although” the Union was successful in stopping them they sure put up a fight! The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way and honestly I think it’s disgraceful to Ohio’s union veterans how the story seems to be told.

https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/exhibits/john-hunt-morgan

40 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

So I was surprised and dismayed to discover this weekend that there is a John Morgan Hunt “heritage” trail following the path of a confederate general’s forces through southern Ohio. 

It seems to me like they are glorifying the confederates; described as a “daring” group of men. And “although” the Union was successful in stopping them they sure put up a fight! The whole thing rubbed me the wrong way and honestly I think it’s disgraceful to Ohio’s union veterans how the story seems to be told.

https://www.ohiohistory.org/visit/exhibits/john-hunt-morgan

Well they may have to redo this so they are not glorifying treason. I don't know anything about it and what the descriptive signs might say or what is in the book they have for sale though(the website does not have much detail about it).

5 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

Well they may have to redo this so they are not glorifying treason. I don't know anything about it and what the descriptive signs might say or what is in the book they have for sale though(the website does not have much detail about it).

Yeah I’d be curious to read more about how it’s presented. Maybe I’m being too sensitive I don’t know...but it struck me as inappropriate.

Edited by Enginerd

1 minute ago, Enginerd said:

Yeah I’d be curious to read more about how it’s presented. Maybe I’m being too sensitive I don’t know...but it struck me as inappropriate.

Maybe I will look around and see if I can find out more about it. The only overt Confederate thing in Ohio I have much knowledge of is the Camp Chase Cemetery on the westside of Columbus because I used to live just southwest of it. I always found it to be kind of spooky in a way but I don't think there is anything wrong with it though-it is just a cemetery and they all pretty much died of disease-just like most of the other dead in that war.

11 minutes ago, Enginerd said:

If it weren't glorifying the confederates, wouldn't it be called the Major General Ambrose Burnside Heritage trail?

5 minutes ago, jam40jeff said:

If it weren't glorifying the confederates, wouldn't it be called the Major General Ambrose Burnside Heritage trail?

I thing naming it after the offensive side makes sense, sort of like how we still use the term "Blitzkrieg" to describe Germany's invasion of Poland.

I've seen a few of these markers and they're pretty dry and encyclopedic, like most historical markers. I don't think there's much here that could be construed as inappropriate or glorifying of the Confederates, and certainly nothing racist. You can read a few of them here:

https://www.ohiohistory.org/File Library/Exhibits Programs and Events/Traveling Exhibits/Morgans Raid/morgan_signs_1_10.pdf

I remember learning about this raid in our "Ohio History" classes at a very young age, probably 4th grade or so. It was always more of an interesting factoid as it was the only real Civil War action to take place in Ohio.

4 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I thing naming it after the offensive side makes sense, sort of like how we still use the term "Blitzkrieg" to describe Germany's invasion of Poland.

I've seen a few of these markers and they're pretty dry and encyclopedic, like most historical markers. I don't think there's much here that could be construed as inappropriate or glorifying of the Confederates, and certainly nothing racist. You can read a few of them here:

https://www.ohiohistory.org/File Library/Exhibits Programs and Events/Traveling Exhibits/Morgans Raid/morgan_signs_1_10.pdf

I remember learning about this raid in our "Ohio History" classes at a very young age, probably 4th grade or so. It was always more of an interesting factoid as it was the only real Civil War action to take place in Ohio.

Thanks, I read a few of them and I agree that they read more like a history than a glorification.  They are probably more balanced than the website itself.