^Yup.  More from the interview in the link I posted above.....

Aslan: I wrote the book to show that you can be a follower of Jesus without being a Christian. That’s why. I mean if you want to know, I wrote the book because I’m an academic and this is what I do and I’m interested in Jesus, and I think I have an educated and interesting take on him that I would like to share with audiences. But my agenda in writing the book is not some secret Muslim plan to destroy Christianity. My agenda in writing the book is to show people, especially those who are not Christian, what an incredible, charismatic and remarkable man this was. How the things that he said and did were so revolutionary, so threatening to the powers of his time, that he was ultimately executed for it. You know, what we’re talking about is an illiterate, uneducated, poor, peasant day laborer from the backwoods of Galilee whose charisma was so magnetic, whose teachings were so revolutionary that in the name of the poor and the outcasts, the marginalized and the dispossessed, he took on the greatest empire the world had ever known. And, as a result, was killed for it. How could you not want to know who that person was? That sounds like the most interesting person who ever lived. I mean, are you kidding me? That’s an amazing story. Forget about everything else. Forget about whether he was God or not or Messiah or not or whatever. Forget about everything else that’s been said about Jesus. Just the basic, basic historical facts of his life make him worth knowing.

AND.....

Aslan: Here’s the thing: The Jesus of history would be a very bad Republican. What I mean to say is, this is a man whose ministry was predicated on the reversal of the social order. That the rich and the powerful would be made low. That the weak and the powerless would be made high. First will be last and the last will be first, which is why it was so appealing to the poor and the powerless and so threatening  to the rich and the powerful. If you compare that message to what so many political and religious leaders claim about Jesus, that this is a man whose entire ministry somehow was focused on guns and gays, there is a massive disconnect. I mean truly, the real Jesus would be a shock to a lot of conservative Republicans, because this is a man who said it was easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. This is a man who advocated absolute, 100 percent social equality for everyone. If you truly, truly follow the teachings of Jesus -- not what people say about Jesus but what Jesus said himself -- that contradicts a lot of what his conservative commentators say about him.

Before EVD starts pissing and moaning, let me point out that it is a long, two web-page interview, so I think I've stayed within the confines of fair use.

kind of makes you wonder that if he's such as expert in religion he's teaching creative writing--

The Lies and Misrepresentations of Reza Aslan

http://frontpagemag.com/2013/majid-rafizadeh/the-lies-and-misrepresentations-of-reza-aslan/

First of all, Reza Aslan has continuously presented himself as a professor of religion. This is done in an attempt to sell his few books, which lack academic and credible references. In one of his recent interviews, Aslan claims, “I am a scholar of religions with four degrees including one in the New Testament . . . I am an expert with a Ph.D. in the history of religions . . . I am a professor of religions, including the New Testament – that’s what I do for a living, actually . . . To be clear, I want to emphasize one more time, I am a historian, I am a Ph.D. in the history of religions.” Aslan also recently said on Twitter, “I have a BA, MA and PhD in the history of Western Religions so yes, again, I am an ACTUAL expert in Judaism.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

btw, the attached article^was written by a real scholar--

About Majid Rafizadeh

Majid Rafizadeh, an Iranian-Syrian scholar, is the president of the International American Council on the Middle East. He serves on the advisory board of the Harvard International Review, an official publication of Harvard University. Rafizadeh has previously taught at several universities including the University of Damascus, Islamic Azad University, and the University of California Santa Barbara through a Fulbright Teaching scholarship. Previously, he conducted research at the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars. He regularly commentates on national and international outlets including CNN, BBC, Aljazeera, Fox News and France 24 International. His works have appeared on The New York Times International, Foreign Policy, The Atlantic, CNN, Fareed Zakaria GPS, The Nation, Yale Journal of International Affairs, The Jerusalem Post and The Huffington Post. He can be reached at Rafizadeh@fas.harvard.edu.

haha yes it is true the vast majority of crime in america is white collar crime committed by the pigment impaired, not street crime. unfortunately, stop&frisking wall streeters is not going to stop that since a lot of those crimes are legal. but while they are at it they should also stop&frisk these entertainment people too, they're all overpaid and most of what they do is criminal.

kind of makes you wonder that if he's such as expert in religion he's teaching creative writing--

No more so than someone who has a Bachelor's of Music interviewing someone on a major news network:  Lauren Green.

If we all stuck to our college paths and did nothing else, nothing would get done in this world.  Perhaps teaching writing gives him the freedom to study and write about religion?   

I suppose Lauren Green may very well still play the piano....just at home when she's not interviewing folks on Fox News.

Would a zombie lawn jockey be racist? Lifeist?

I was all set to buy one but it's only 2 feet tall & the light doesn't work.

be pretty cool with a strobe...

71230F?$mediumlarge$

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

It's not "coming from the highly regarded AATTP."  It's worse..... much worse.  It's coming from those smarty-pants elitist academics again!  D^mn edgeumacated folk!

It's not "coming from the highly regarded AATTP."  It's worse..... much worse.  It's coming from those smarty-pants elitist academics again!  D^mn edgeumacated folk!

An Australian university? 

^ You beat me to it GCrites.  I guess we can close down this thread since the RNC has determined that Rosa Parks "ended racism".  That's the chairman of the Republican National Committee Reince Priebus pictured below with Stephen Colbert, someone else who "doesn't see race".

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQsQepWhabU8ruRTrIydiA7KPR5HnszOq-rzcexfGxMKXRJjWFx6Q

It's instances like this when I really start to buy into the conspiracy theory that the RNC has been infiltrated by saboteurs.  Talk about the gift that keeps on giving  :laugh:

BTW... everytime I see or hear Reince Priebus speak, I think of Neil Kellerman from Dirty Dancing.

It's instances like this when I really start to buy into the conspiracy theory that the RNC has been infiltrated by saboteurs.  Talk about the gift that keeps on giving  :laugh:

BTW... everytime I see or hear Reince Priebus speak, I think of Neil Kellerman from Dirty Dancing.

Book by one of Goldwater's speech writers

Invasion of the party snatchers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BLY7AY/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1402212496&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00045NXYM2SWAK4R35PK

^^^ the kids from Full House throwing the Wu-Tang W almost made me piss my pants.

Are you talking about two of the whitest kids in America trying to imitate Run-DMC in a "stop bullying, start snitching" PSA??

As long as they don't start f'n with Krampus...

As long as they don't start f'n with Krampus...

Well he effs back....

We could always bring Zwarte Piet over...

It sounds like Brian Boitano needs to come back and remind everyone about the true meaning of Christmas.

Jimmy Norton had a good point, too. Everyone is so upset about Megyn Kelly declaring that Santa was white. How about the fact that she references Santa as a real person?

^Or that she is concerned about what all these "kids" might think who are watching her show on Fox News at 9:40pm on a school night.

The Santa is white thing is funny simply for the panic and outrage suggesting otherwise seems to have inflamed over at Fox.  But at least to the extent that Santa may be based off an actual historical figure (St. Nick), he most likely was white.  The Jesus thing, however......

^heart-warming to know that good people still vastly outnumber the bad..... and that there are plenty of people out there willing to stand up for what's right.

^Or that she is concerned about what all these "kids" might think who are watching her show on Fox News at 9:40pm on a school night.

The Santa is white thing is funny simply for the panic and outrage suggesting otherwise seems to have inflamed over at Fox.  But at least to the extent that Santa may be based off an actual historical figure (St. Nick), he most likely was white.  The Jesus thing, however......

St. Nicholas was Turkish, so racially not all that far from Jesus of Nazareth.

He was from Myra in what's now Turkey, but then it was largely populated with Greeks and to a lesser degree Romans, so he'd have probably looked like a modern Greek or Italian man rather than the chubby image we typically see that could be mistaken for British or German. Not exactly white, but not really brown either.

OK...... so they were both dark skinned enough to scare Megyn Kelly's adolecent viewers. 

But I would point out that, racially speaking, there is a vast difference in appearance between Turks/Greeks and those peoples who live in the Jordan/Palestine/Israel area of the middle-east, and who were not part of the European influx into Israel post WWII.

He was from Myra in what's now Turkey, but then it was largely populated with Greeks and to a lesser degree Romans, so he'd have probably looked like a modern Greek or Italian man rather than the chubby image we typically see that could be mistaken for British or German. Not exactly white, but not really brown either.

Ah, yes.  Like the song, "Swarthy old St. Nicholas, swarthy, oh is he!  Swarthy old St. Nicholas, swarthy as can be!"

oh for petes sake. st. nicholas was not santa claus. santa has any color skin tone you want him to have. 'murica lol!

With a surprising number of sexy female Santa's.  Not sure how I feel about that.

Don't panic kids (who might be reading UO).... after a day of reflection (errrrrr..... I mean sick leave), it turns out that Megyn was apparently just joking around.  She wasn't seriously offended (nor should you kids be) by the notion of a non-white Santa and/or Jesus (soft "J" btw).  She's not backing down about either the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy, however, and doesn't want to hear any argument from the race-baiters on that.

Because race is involved, this non-story got a lot of play, but it's a textbook example of tying a sensationalist headline to a strawman to get viewers. Anyone who doubts this is not deliberate on the network's part should reconsider - FOX is the master of creating arguments where there was nobody complaining to begin with, although anyone can do it if they wish.

1) Choose a time-honored, traditional subject, such as Apple Pie, the National Anthem, the White House, or Santa Claus

2) Assert that the tradition is under attack; feign outrage

3) Associate the attack with whoever you want to blame, usually someone/a group that is a typical target, usually so broadly cast as to be meaningless

4) If the story is ignored, move on. If it blows up, feign surprise, stand back and wash your hands of the entire subject, saying you weren't that serious to begin with, but gosh, people seem to really care about this

5) Wait, and repeat at appropriately slow intervals in the news cycle

The subject is really irrelevant. This sort of thing should always be pointedly ignored. Basically the cable news equivalent of 19th century newspaper headlines.