taestell

Smells of the City

A couple Cincy locations I've either worked, visited, or lived in in my life.

West End - Coffee, beer, and pickles.  I love all 3!!

Bridgetown - On days when the wind was just right, we could smell the old Lawrenceburg Seagrams/MGP plant Distillery.   

Carthage - I always got a butterscotch type of smell near Paddock 

St Bernard - Soap, lots and lots of soap

Mt Healthy Heights - Unfortunately for these folks live out there, they get the smell of Rumpke most days of the year.  This is one smell I can not take!!!!!

I used to work at Cincinnati's Metropolitan Sewer District. Our office was right next to the main treatment plant on the Mill Creek in Lower Price Hill. It usually wasn't too bad, but if it was really hot out, the smell was unbearable.

When PS3s get really dusty inside they smell like a West Virginia Turnpike Travel Plaza in the '80s when people could smoke. Both the little Northbound ones and the big Southbound one that used to be the Glass House.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:31 PM, wpcc88 said:

This is very true.. Chicken litter is probably my least favorite smell of all time... Columbus folks, take a ride out to Croton in late July and you'll know what I mean

Anyone who proposes chickens in the city should be required to visit Croton.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:48 AM, Mildtraumatic said:

Nothing like the smell of freshly spread cow manure in the morning. It could last for weeks where I use to live.

Smells like, defeat... 😔

Honestly the most polluted place I ever lived was Indiana... actual farming smells a lot worse than most city smells IMO and the pesticides / poisons used on a farm, as well as the ones used on suburban lawns, are a lot stronger than anything consumer grade you'd find used in most urban areas.

That being said, if Dayton could fix their wastewater treatment facility so it didn't smell like a sewer pipe in Moraine and west Dayton most days that would be awesome

There was literally a pile of human feces in between Toast and Il Rione this morning on West 65th. That's a hazard of a morning jog, I guess. 

i'll leave out the old rotten eggs steel plant smells, that time has mostly passed. also the wonder bread smells as you drove downtown columbus.

but i remember when i lived at the continent briefly in north columbus you could often smell the beer brewing from the budweiser plant nearby. you could smell it driving around I-270 too. the continent has fallen way off, but i cant imagine that mammoth bud plant brewing smell has changed.

• Like 1

Having spent a lot of time in the south this past year any of you folks that think you’re going to escape this moving there, beware of paper mills. Charleston & Savannah have the stench of them; along with their horse drawn tours, think New Orleans.

ny certainly has its own memorable smells lol. yep at the top of the list is piss and homeless fragrance. after that would be vehicle exhaust and smoggy days. down the list, but more prominent in da hood would be poultry businesses and dog crap bombs everywhere because the poors dont ever pick it up. truth. way down the list for me, but probably higher on it for some people, would be the street trash and sanitation, but that never bothers me. restaurant kitchen vents do bug me when you walk by them, especially with the fried food. and last on the ny smells list would be the wildcard mystery smells that waft over town ocassionally, leaving you scratching your head.

otoh, all is forgiven after a storm when it smells great for awhile, it really does! or anytime when you are near the water.

On 2/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, wpcc88 said:

Having spent a lot of time in the south this past year any of you folks that think you’re going to escape this moving there, beware of paper mills. Charleston & Savannah have the stench of them; along with their horse drawn tours, think New Orleans.

Add Charleston SC to that list as well. Nothing worse than walking outside on a warm day and breathing in what amounts to the smell of cat piss.

A lot of the cities in northern NJ smell awful. Like burning rancid old milk cartons mixed with motor oil. What was really weird though was how my friends up there never seemed to notice it.