Sign in to follow this  
Toddguy

Austin: Developments and News

Well once again one of the usual suspects gets the new Apple site. And to think Raleigh/Durham thought they had it all wrapped up. Lots of new expansions also...but not in Ohio..sigh.

News here:

https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/13/tech/apple-campus-austin-texas/index.html

A good piece by Aaron Renn showing who the winners are: https://www.urbanophile.com/2018/12/13/rich-keep-getting-richer-in-tech-as-apple-picks-austin-for-1-billion-campus/

Not only do the rich keep getting richer as far as metros go, the suburbs keep getting more suburban.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  Apple and many other tech giants are about as anti-urban as they come.

Also, I feel like Austin is about as overhyped as Nashville.

45 minutes ago, jam40jeff said:

Not only do the rich keep getting richer as far as metros go, the suburbs keep getting more suburban.

This doesn't surprise me at all.  Apple and many other tech giants are about as anti-urban as they come.

Also, I feel like Austin is about as overhyped as Nashville.

Eh depends on what you mean by overhyped. It’s certainly not much of a city urbanity-wise. But I feel like its reputation is built on food, music, and tech. All three dwarf anything similar in the 3Cs. 

• Like 1

austin is basically a southern twin of columbus. they are quite the same in being growing capitals with big, dominating state colleges that have boomed, sprawled and lost their charming, sleepy, hippy dippy vibes. of course they are also different in the businesses and people they attract.

personally i still like columbus, but not austin anymore. austin seems to have faired worse for the growth and lost much of its charm to me, while the growth improves columbus. austin handed its once low key, cool kid vibe over to el paso.