blinker12

Cleveland: Restaurant News & Info

Thanks all for the Black Dog updates, great to hear.

Per a sign on the door today: they will be closed tomorrow, but their first full opening day is Wed the 5th. And their official "grand opening" is Fri the 7th.

Ha!, Strap. I had many Martha's VY Black Dog t-shirts and sweatshirts as a teen and college kid (theirs is a black Lab).  Not downtown's new restaurant/bar...who doesnt love a big black fluffy Newfoundland??

Another vacant space on Euclid being filled.  Is this where people speculated a Chipotle would go?

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/cleveland_metro/new-cajun-restaurant-called-j-gumbos-to-open-this-fall-on-euclid-avenue-in-downtown-cleveland

Pretty sure that Chipotle is expected to go next door to this space, in the old Bang and Clatter theater.  As a note, the downtown yoga which had been using this space had signs that they would be in HOB.  So that may mean that there is actual work going on in this space now.  At least that is my hope, I really want that Chipotle DT

Correct. The gumbo place is going into the front with the plywood up and Chipotle is rumoured for the Bang and Clatter space. Since according to some in the forum it is a done deal, I would say that E4 yoga's moving is a good sign.  I cannot believe Chipotle has not gone into downtown yet. With over 100,000 downtown workers...then throwing in residents and tourists and a college crowd within a mile,  it seems like a no brainer.

I forgot to mention that the waitress said they would hopefully be doing brunch on Sundays going forward.

Thanks, but I hate when people say "going forward"! As opposed to what?  gaah.gif

That ranks right up there with "be that as it may" or "in so far as." Sorry, you discovered one of my pet peeves -- excessive verbosity!

*Chuckles* Yep, and that's why I'm the telecom repair tech and you're the journalist.  Also, they had a nice selection of local draft beers and I saw one of the Indigo Imp beers listed in the bottles section.  It was too early to get started though.

*Chuckles* Yep, and that's why I'm the telecom repair tech and you're the journalist.  Also, they had a nice selection of local draft beers and I saw one of the Indigo Imp beers listed in the bottles section.  It was too early to get started though.

Except journalists are some of the worst offenders!

My visit to Black Dog will have until Wednesday anyway, since I am working from home today (and spending way too much time on UO!) so it's OK with me that the restaurant won't be open today. I can wait a day....

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Hard to believe Sammy's is opening in PHS with an opening date of October 1 (only 3-4 weeks away) as reported by Scene Magazine

http://www.clevescene.com/cleveland/bites/Content?category=1520384

It was only in the overnight hours of last thursday that the moving vehicles were taking away the interior furnishings of Star.

One would think that there must not be much of a change coming to the overall layout

Sizzlin', glad to hear the good review. And glad to hear they have Sunday hours. I will check them out VERY soon!

I forgot to mention that the waitress said they would hopefully be doing brunch on Sundays going forward.

I stopped in today to get a carry out menu and brunch is listed...so excited to have brunch in this part of downtown...Sorry Touch...I will be stopping in a lot less now...:)

Thanks all for the Black Dog updates, great to hear.

Per a sign on the door today: they will be closed tomorrow, but their first full opening day is Wed the 5th. And their official "grand opening" is Fri the 7th.

Ha!, Strap. I had many Martha's VY Black Dog t-shirts and sweatshirts as a teen and college kid (theirs is a black Lab).  Not downtown's new restaurant/bar...who doesnt love a big black fluffy Newfoundland??

do you happen to know, if not the one on martha's, is it related to any other black dog restaurants and taverns in other cities? i thought it might be a mini-chain or something? if no, i guess its just a very common name.

Ironic timing: The Cleveland Pickle is closed for the next week as the Black Dog opens in the same building.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

No, this Clevleand Black Dog has nothing to do with the place(s) in Vineyard Haven.

It's a Cleveland independent, w/ the Newfoundland logo. Hope it does well. Great mural...more of those are always welcome downtown  :wink:

Not a full review, but I was at the Black Dog last weekend with friends for some drinks.  I was hungry, so I also ordered the small portion of mac and cheese.  The drinks were great, but the mac was hands down the most disgusting thing that has ever been served to me at a restaurant.  It tasted burnt (not that I had more than a few bites,) and there was a centimeter-deep pool of oil that had separated from the rest and had pooled at the bottom.  I know they're new, but I'm sorry to say it'll be a while before I order food there again, if ever.

Went to Black Dog for lunch today. I'm not too sure yet... Was really hoping this would work but in the current state I don't have high hopes. The space is enormous and they were very understaffed. The staff we did encounter seemed very inexperienced and distant. The woman that seemed to be in charge did not appear to be very helpful. Our waitress was nice but obviously inexperienced and extremely stressed. There seemed to be problems all over between mixups, slow service, unhappy customers, etc. They were already out of fries and our waitress didn't seem to know anything about the menu. Now; all of this being said, today is their grand opening so some of this is understandable. I just hope they can get it together really soon because I just don't see this being able to keep up with all the competition nearby. I will go back again, maybe in a few months and I wish them well. I hope others experiences are better!

It's posts like these that really confuse me. I just don't understand why anybody goes to a restaurant the day they open, or even the week they open. While in a perfect world, yes, they are supposed to be "ready" to open, but there are a lot of unforseen variables in this type of industry, like initial product deliveries not showing up on time, new staff quitting, calling off, not showing up or not being adequately trained to be ready, etc. I almost never, ever go to a restaurant the week they open. It's like judging New Orleans by going to Mardi Gras or judging NYC by visiting Times Square for the Macy's parade. It's just the worst time to go.

It's posts like these that really confuse me. I just don't understand why anybody goes to a restaurant the day they open, or even the week they open. While in a perfect world, yes, they are supposed to be "ready" to open, but there are a lot of unforseen variables in this type of industry, like initial product deliveries not showing up on time, new staff quitting, calling off, not showing up or not being adequately trained to be ready, etc. I almost never, ever go to a restaurant the week they open. It's like judging New Orleans by going to Mardi Gras or judging NYC by visiting Times Square for the Macy's parade. It's just the worst time to go.

I agree with you. I'm not writing it off at all, just sharing my experience. I have been to newly opened restaurants that while not perfect, have me a much better impression. But totally get what your saying. Like I said, I'll give it time and then go back

Well, to be a little more charitable, it isn't just that new staff is "not showing up" or is "not being adequately trained to be ready".  How many people here did their job perfectly on their first week?  Training be damned, it takes time to get good at something, to know a product line, to build a rhythm and confidence.

Well if they open and nobody goes then they won't get any practice and they won't make any money.

Haha, well I ordered take out on Wednesday and our food was great. Can't speak for the service except for when I called and she asked for my name, she seemed to think that my name was funny (last name is also a first name). I will probably be checking out brunch on Sunday as well.

Speaking of new restaurant...although nothing not already known here...the coming soon sign is up at 226 Euclid confiming the space will be J Gumbo's.

It will be nice to have a productive storefront instead of a mini-dead zone.

DSCF6158.jpg

Heard Jonathon Sawyer doingf a radio interview yesterday morning. He was mostly talking about West Side Mkt events but also spoke on his time in Trentino, Italy and alluded to his new (Italian) restaurant. He said that after his chef-partner returns from Italy (in October?) that they will write a menu and "finalize a location."

That last part got my attention. I wonder if this means that it may not be going in Uptown??

From Sam McNulty's FB page:

"Dear Facebook,

Let's find a 4,000 square foot building in Ohio City for Cleveland's newest craft business: Cantina Distillery. Give a shout out to Dave Sharkey at dsharkey@progressiveurban.com if you know of a building.

A Distillery Row in Ohio City would be pretty sweet!"

Anyone have any ideas?

The building that McNaulty bought behind the market (the exhibitors bldg...) would seem ideal for something like this, but I guess he has other plans for this space. 

Hmmm...Maybe one of the old industrial buildings around Church and W. 25th, or the old factory on Clinton just west of W. 30th.

or the old factory on Clinton just west of W. 30th.

The one that back up to Vine Ct?  I think there are already some food-related businesses in there so that's a pretty good fit.  That thing is a serious eye-sore on that block and desperately needs some site improvements.  It was listed for sale earlier this year for less than $400k but the listing's been removed; not sure if someone bought it or not.

Here's all the scintillating details.

(Warning, may be too scintillating for work)

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2012/09/27/news/doc50649a198fe7a516150665.txt

And if anyone doubts my assertion that this location will cannibalize a good portion of the Cleveland Heights location's customers, check out the comments.  Two of the first 8 or so mention how they go to the CH location but will be glad to have the Mentor location to go to instead.