Cleveland: Restaurant News & Info

Interesting... Lindey's (not sure if the fine dining version or "lake house") was going to previously go in the former Raintree/Grove Hill space, even going before the planning commissison/arch board for approval about year ago. 

Edited by eyehrtfood

Also interesting... since Lindeys is owned by the founders of Bravo - the 15 year old Bravo at Eton is dark in recent days with a plain door sign saying "As of 3/7 this facility is temporarily closed". Odd wording - and no mention of issues,, remodeling, closure, corona,  etc... Still on corp website...

On 3/7/2020 at 10:35 AM, Htsguy said:

Heard that Jekyll's Kitchen in Chagrin Falls in closing next Saturday.  Apparently it is going to become a Lindy's.

And just like that...

Jekyll's in Chagrin Falls to Close and Reopen This Summer as Cedar Creek Grill-Style Eatery

Douglas Trattner Mar 9, 2020 20:58 PM

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and-heard/archives/2020/03/09/jekylls-in-chagrin-falls-to-close-and-reopen-this-summer-as-cedar-creek-grill-style-eatery?media=AMP+HTML&__twitter_impression=true

Turning to my most reliable group for some advice:

I'm putting together a happy hour for the associates in my office this Thursday. Our office is at East 9th and St. Claire. 

Any suggestions on good happy hours within a 10 min walk at relatively nice locations? Thanks.

13 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I'm putting together a happy hour for the associates in my office this Thursday. Our office is at East 9th and St. Claire. 

Any suggestions on good happy hours within a 10 min walk at relatively nice locations? Thanks.

Urban Farmer in the Westin (St Clair at East 6th) has excellent drinks and food, but it is pretty expensive. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

Been a while, but we used to go here:

https://www.parkersdowntown.com/

HAPPY HOUR

3 - 6 p.m.

$3 Draft Beers

$5 Glass of Wine

$6 Cocktails

½ off Bar Food Menu

Edited by surfohio
  • Like 1

I'll second Parkers---they have some really good cocktails.  I haven't been to Mastheads but walked by it---its more casual than Parkers if that's the vibe you're seeking.  If its a bigger group then maybe Mastheads' is better. Also if the group wants more beer than cocktails.  Parkers is in the Schofield Kimpton Hotel at 9th and Euclid--and the bar and restaurant are in the same big room.

7 hours ago, YABO713 said:

I really think Heinen's is the best choice on the second level balcony. I think you can also make a reservation or some plans ahead of time if you want (depending on the size). https://www.heinens.com/In-Store/Downtown/Downtown-Cleveland-Corporate-Catering

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:26 PM, bumsquare said:

The most cursed restaurant spot in the city. I don’t understand why nothing has stuck there. The location seems like it would be so great. I think Sage managed to stay open for 2 or 3 years there but I don’t think anything else has lasted even a year. Very curious!

I don't believe that restaurant spaces are cursed.  Location is an important factor, but not as much as people think. It probably has more to do with the landlord not properly vetting the potential occupants' plans, rent, poor product/service/hospitality on the part of the operator. Salsarito did have some great food. Some of it was too much with overdone flavor combinations and sauces. Unfortunately the service and hospitality aspect of the place was just bizarre. They were in such a rush to bring chips and salsa, but would never bring water without a request. The whole proper steps of service and timing was really poor. Bartenders were not qualified and beverage program wasn't where it should be. Menu should have been just a little slimmer and more straight forward. Also, the lights were too bright and it never felt warm or a cool place to be. I am sad it didn't make it, because I honestly loved some of the dishes, but I'm not surprised. 

Can someone post a pic of that sign please?

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

First look: Historic Taverne of Richfield to re-open after elaborate $2 million, 15-month makeover

https://www.cleveland.com/life-and-culture/j66j-2020/03/8e7d4150942957/first-look-historic-taverne-of-richfield-to-reopen-after-elaborate-2-million-15month-makeover.html

Beautifully restored under new Ukrainian-American ownership - Olesia of Olesia’s Place. 

Lots of pics in the article. 

• Like 2

I'm surprised that so many people worked there...

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

Saw this on twitter last night, and further in the thread it’s revealed the info came from a commercial broker. Also said Punchbowl will close nationwide, along with Cheescake factory. Sadly, this is going to happen in every city in America 

673D1578-7FA6-4CD3-BA31-B4D426FCB737.png

45 minutes ago, mack34 said:

Saw this on twitter last night, and further in the thread it’s revealed the info came from a commercial broker. Also said Punchbowl will close nationwide, along with Cheescake factory. Sadly, this is going to happen in every city in America 

673D1578-7FA6-4CD3-BA31-B4D426FCB737.png

I had to google Cheesecake Factory since if it closed, my wife would be devastated.   Apparently the CEO sent a letter to every one of it's 294 landlords that it would not be able to pay April rent.   So some *may* close depending on the response, but by no means have they said they are shutting down completely. 

48 minutes ago, mack34 said:

as an update.....the woman who posted that text has taken it down and the owner of all those restaurants has threatened to sue....so there we go 

When I first saw her tweet I thought it was legit and I retweeted it. But when I saw some of the discussion farther down the string, I realized that it wasn't well-sourced information and removed my retweet.

However....

^I figured it was internet garbage right away since those are all separately owned and they have only been closed a week.  
You would have to be a hell of an insider to know what is going on and it wouldn’t be some garbage list from a random person on twitter/facebook. 
  I also would not be shocked to learn that person is a trumper. 

5 minutes ago, audidave said:

^I figured it was internet garbage right away since those are all separately owned and they have only been closed a week.  
You would have to be a hell of an insider to know what is going on and it wouldn’t be some garbage list from a random person on twitter/facebook. 

Actually 5 of the restaurants listed are part of the same ownership group but I was still suspicious when I saw the original post.

21 minutes ago, audidave said:

She's not at Trumper. At all.

And yes, it seemed a bit early for restaurants to be pushing the panic button and closing "permanently." I know they're hurting by trying to stay open with carry-out only and business down about 90 percent at the ones I've visited. Others are closing temporarily and laying off staff.

It's been published that key restaurant (Cheesecake) and retail chains (H&M) are telling landlords they aren't paying rent due to the virus shutdown. Probably just a smart business move to strengthen for more time offline, even if unseemly or ultimatley unnecessary.

On 3/9/2020 at 6:57 PM, eyehrtfood said:

Also interesting... since Lindeys is owned by the founders of Bravo - the 15 year old Bravo at Eton is dark in recent days with a plain door sign saying "As of 3/7 this facility is temporarily closed". Odd wording - and no mention of issues,, remodeling, closure, corona,  etc... Still on corp website...

I looked on the Bravo website today and I didn’t see it listed at all anymore and also interestingly enough because I believe it’s the same corporation Brio at legacy is no longer listed on the Brio website

On 3/27/2020 at 10:05 PM, osu87 said:

I looked on the Bravo website today and I didn’t see it listed at all anymore and also interestingly enough because I believe it’s the same corporation Brio at legacy is no longer listed on the Brio website

Bravo Brio has closed 71 locations. They might reopen but it’s up in the air. 

https://www.nrn.com/casual-dining/ceo-brio-and-bravo-casual-dining-brands-says-71-closed-restaurants-might-not-reopen-if

And on the flip side just went to Cheesecake Factory Legacy Village for carryout - right across from the likely shuttered Brio - and there were probably 20 cars waiting for food - and was told they were #1 current Cheesecake (out of around 250) in eastern US and #3 in country. Surprisingly busy. 

Carryout parking spaces were full a few evenings ago at Applebees at Steelyard Commons. If we didn't have a gift card, we would have stuck with the mom-n-pop restaurants...

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1

^ I’m not at all surprised by this. Only ate there once and because someone else was paying! It’s a crappy location to begin with, but a restaurant brand that plays on kicking back on a Caribbean beach (think Corona beer ads) that looks out right onto I-271 in one direction and a sea of mall parking in the other!! It was just awful in execution. 

• Like 1

My hovercraft is full of eels

That's too bad. My parents and I have been going there for years, and while they've been skimping on the onion rings for some time now, I have had many happy memories there.

The happy hour wasn't too shabby either.