KJP

Cleveland: Ohio City: Church+State (West 29th & Detroit Ave)

1 minute ago, CleCaneFan said:

@Klingaling87, he means the walls were probably pre-fabbed in a shop somewhere by Amish; the trades on the job site are all Union

I know what he meant, and I’m telling you that it’s not the case. The panels are made in a warehouse by union contractors. The project has AFL-CIO funding. 

• Like 1

Just now, Klingaling87 said:

I know what he meant, and I’m telling you that it’s not the case. The panels are made in a warehouse by union contractors. The project has AFL-CIO funding. 

Ok, thanks for clarifying; I’m a Union Carpenter and I can tell you that I’ve been on a number of all-Union jobs where the pre-fabbed walls & whatnot came from Amish or various non-union shops.

2 minutes ago, CleCaneFan said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying; I’m a Union Carpenter and I can tell you that I’ve been on a number of all-Union jobs where the pre-fabbed walls & whatnot came from Amish or various non-union shops.

Understood. Turner is signatory to the carpenters as well, so it couldn’t go non-union even if the Owner wanted to. 

On 10/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, freefourur said:

Union trades bought the HUD bonds that financed the project. 100% union is required. 

I don’t want to continue to nit-pick this topic but “100% Union” in these instances normally only apply to the job site, not construction materials, finishes, suppliers etc. if that turns out to be the case then that’s great but I’ve never understood these agreements to reach that far off the job site. 

Just want to minimize any confusion regarding “prevailing-wage” or “100% Union” jobs.

Edited by CleCaneFan
Clarification

On 10/21/2019 at 7:22 PM, Sapper Daddy said:

Don’t hate on Amish ingenuity.  Don’t know if they can build a high rise but my rocking chair gets an A+

The Amish are pretty good at furniture & barns, but I wouldn’t take a laser or level into an Amish-built house to check anything for plumb, level or square. Just saying

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

On 10/23/2019 at 6:23 AM, CleCaneFan said:

The Amish are pretty good at furniture & barns, but I wouldn’t take a laser or level into an Amish-built house to check anything for plumb, level or square. Just saying

I'm only an apprentice with the Carpenters Union right now, but being around finish work (cabinets), I second that sentiment. Lots of "Amish built" cabinets with doors out of square or not level with eachother that had to be sent back. 

It's nice, rustic stuff for home, but doesn't really meet a truly professional standard it would seem.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArtDecoSquirrel said:

I'm only an apprentice with the Carpenters Union right now, but being around finish work (cabinets), I second that sentiment. Lots of "Amish built" cabinets with doors out of square or not level with eachother that had to be sent back. 

It's nice, rustic stuff for home, but doesn't really meet a truly professional standard it would seem.

Good to see another tradesman here! Can you say who/where you’re working for?

• Like 2

On 10/25/2019 at 9:23 PM, CleCaneFan said:

Good to see another tradesman here! Can you say who/where you’re working for?

Meridian right now. I've been with a few places so far, still waiting to catch on with someone for more than 4 months. 

• Like 1

Second building now has two floors up atop the concrete podium.  No siding up yet on either building.  Slow progress, but looks great so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1