KJP

Cleveland: Ohio City: Church+State (West 29th & Detroit Ave)

9 hours ago, imjustinjk said:

Ugh, an increase of 50 parking spaces? And a reduction of 20 units?

You do realize that you're reacting to a post from February 2017, right?  The final number of units and parking spaces has been known for almost two years.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jeremyck01 said:

You do realize that you're reacting to a post from February 2017, right?  The final number of units and parking spaces has been known for almost two years.

Lol, my bad. I didn't realize, nor have I really kept up with this particular project. 

• Haha 1

I went to Ohio City Galley and walked the neighborhood a couple nights ago, There is a nice Vibe over there and this project will fill huge gap!  I am so excited to watch this project grow...  So Who is installing the webcam?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, tastybunns said:

Can't tell if you're being sarcastic @KJP. LOL

Nah, I'm excited for this project. It's just the best "woo-hoo" graphic I could find before I had to go pick up my kid.

• Like 1

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Based on photos of The Edge on Euclid (across from CSU), a similarly sized 11-story building, it looks like it had a small tower crane.

Found a few pics of The Edge. Looks like a tower crane to me...

a9cfc6bca18200ddccab6d71d458ec82.jpg

27897584624_cbcdbc3051_b.jpg&key=f21235d

20160812_135123.jpg&key=a35bf0a23cedd472

Edited by KJP

What a cool project! Congrats to Ohio City -seems like there’s real energy there and this  should only add to the momentum downtown  being generated by all of the building conversions and big new projects like The Beacon and The Lumen. 

Yanni, I stand corrected.  I now recognize the site of these buildings and find this design to be acceptable.

To me the two story parking garage disguised behind a flat surface is ungainly, dehumanizing and unappealing

I'm not looking for new buildings to appear old, but rather that they foster human scale and integrity of design at the street level. 
If you're going to riff on Moshe Safdie from 1967; try and do it without inserting Robert Venturi into the surface treatments of floors one through five.
I'm glad it's moving forward though.  It is unique and distinctive, and even with this failing element I think it will survive the test of time.

I forgot to post my pictures from a couple of days ago...

20181217_152653.jpg

20181217_152818(0).jpg

20181217_152705.jpg

20181217_152807.jpg

20181217_152754.jpg

• Like 4

^ Wait when did they open up the front of the building next door? That's so wonderful to see, since it had been a windowless concrete wall for at least all of my memory. I've been gone from this neighborhood only 7 months and am already failing to recognize it.

• Like 2

I was surprised to see that too. What's the plan for this building? 

There are currently glass storefront windows going up for future retail spaces (I took this photo today). Looks like there could be space for maybe 2 or 3 businesses? I haven't heard about any confirmed tenants. It's looking so much better than that stucco wall -- and as a bonus, check out that cool sunburst window above the door that was uncovered 🙂

IMG_4918.JPG

• Like 10

That is beautiful. I know it was only 2(?) years ago or so that they rehabbed that building into apartments. I always wondered what went in behind the blank walls downstairs. Looks like it was just waiting to be opened up into a nice little phase two. That strip of Detroit between 25th and 29th is going to be a very lively street soon.

• Like 1

Just now, simplythis said:

Either the newsstation is late reporting this OR this must be the official groundbreaking. But they have been there since early December. https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/local-news/investigations/a-better-land/new-60-million-church-state-development-to-conjoin-ohio-citys-past-future

CLE needs a west side extension of its existing light-rail along Detroit Avenue.

Edited by Oxford19
  • Like 7

Mr. Leb is on a Twitter roll....

• Like 2

Progress photos from today

20190207_144654.jpg

20190207_144633.jpg

20190207_144741.jpg

• Like 1

not the same project but literally right across the street, the "Cleveland Vibrator Company" is planning to vacate / relocate.  A local developer has their existing property under contract for redevelopment

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gottaplan said:

not the same project but literally right across the street, the "Cleveland Vibrator Company" is planning to vacate / relocate.  A local developer has their existing property under contract for redevelopment

RIP to every drunk girl that takes a picture under their sign

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Was a certificate of disclosure filed? I don't see one when I searched on the address for Cleveland Vibrator, 2828 Clinton.

View from Federal Knitting Mills, posted on Facebook by Patrick Shepherd

FB_IMG_1551051847138.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1