Cleveland: Ohio City: Church+State (West 29th & Detroit Ave)

KJP

1 minute ago, Larry1962 said:

And with Snavely's phase three hopefully starting soon, it should really help with density in the area which should help attract even more retail!

It’s already started. They’re digging the foundation currently.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, marty15 said:

The walls are showing up to the site prefabbed with the windows already in. Haven’t seen that method here. Good way to cut down on labor cost. Probably made by Amish for $10/hr somewhere.

Marty - the project is 100% union... no Amish. 

• Like 1

Just now, Klingaling87 said:

I know what he meant, and I’m telling you that it’s not the case. The panels are made in a warehouse by union contractors. The project has AFL-CIO funding. 

Ok, thanks for clarifying; I’m a Union Carpenter and I can tell you that I’ve been on a number of all-Union jobs where the pre-fabbed walls & whatnot came from Amish or various non-union shops.

2 minutes ago, CleCaneFan said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying; I’m a Union Carpenter and I can tell you that I’ve been on a number of all-Union jobs where the pre-fabbed walls & whatnot came from Amish or various non-union shops.

Understood. Turner is signatory to the carpenters as well, so it couldn’t go non-union even if the Owner wanted to. 

On 10/21/2019 at 6:14 PM, freefourur said:

Union trades bought the HUD bonds that financed the project. 100% union is required. 

I don’t want to continue to nit-pick this topic but “100% Union” in these instances normally only apply to the job site, not construction materials, finishes, suppliers etc. if that turns out to be the case then that’s great but I’ve never understood these agreements to reach that far off the job site. 

Just want to minimize any confusion regarding “prevailing-wage” or “100% Union” jobs.

Edited by CleCaneFan
Clarification

On 10/21/2019 at 7:22 PM, Sapper Daddy said:

Don’t hate on Amish ingenuity.  Don’t know if they can build a high rise but my rocking chair gets an A+

The Amish are pretty good at furniture & barns, but I wouldn’t take a laser or level into an Amish-built house to check anything for plumb, level or square. Just saying

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

I'm only an apprentice with the Carpenters Union right now, but being around finish work (cabinets), I second that sentiment. Lots of "Amish built" cabinets with doors out of square or not level with eachother that had to be sent back. 

It's nice, rustic stuff for home, but doesn't really meet a truly professional standard it would seem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ArtDecoSquirrel said:

I'm only an apprentice with the Carpenters Union right now, but being around finish work (cabinets), I second that sentiment. Lots of "Amish built" cabinets with doors out of square or not level with eachother that had to be sent back. 

It's nice, rustic stuff for home, but doesn't really meet a truly professional standard it would seem.

Good to see another tradesman here! Can you say who/where you’re working for?

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Only four more floors to go.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 4

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

On 12/27/2019 at 4:54 PM, KJP said:

Only four more floors to go.

Wow--this building dominates the Detroit Road/West 25-29th neighborhood as is.  To think four more floors are coming will be truly transformative for this stretch of road.

And with Market Square coming on Lorain, I think it's safe to say we're entering a new era of height and density in Ohio City.  Exciting times.

• Like 8
  • Love 2

8 minutes ago, Down_with_Ctown said:

Wow--this building dominates the Detroit Road/West 25-29th neighborhood as is.  To think four more floors are coming will be truly transformative for this stretch of road.

And with Market Square coming on Lorain, I think it's safe to say we're entering a new era of height and density in Ohio City.  Exciting times.

I heard two people talking at Bookhouse Brewing last weekend... and they said "Within 18 months, Ohio City will have a better skyline than Youngstown, Canton, and Springfield." 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, YABO713 said:

I heard two people talking at Bookhouse Brewing last weekend... and they said "Within 18 months, Ohio City will have a better skyline than Youngstown, Canton, and Springfield." 

Glad to hear people are excited about Ohio City but I think that is a slight exaggeration, especially relative to Canton and Youngstown (don't know much about Springfield other than the McDonalds off of Interstate 70 which we always stopped at on the way to school).  Since the office component of Market Square has been pushed down an unknown road I can't think of anything really tall scheduled for the near future (at least nothing that has been announced).

• Like 2

I think they're referring to the number of 10+ story tall buildings. 

“What is the meaning of this city? Do you huddle close together because you love each other?”
Or “We all dwell together to make money from each other”? -- TS Eliot’s The Rock

27 minutes ago, ink said:

Youngstown has an incredible, almost completely pre-WWII skyline. Ohio City will not surpass it. 

Agreed - Youngstown and Massillon to a certain extent have this really cool, "glory days" feel about their city centers, where I'd love to just get transported back to 1952 and see what it was like. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Htsguy said:

What buildings are those other than Church and State (since again Market Square office is an unknown at this point)?

There's plans for a 12-15 story residential building on the NE quadrant of Det and 25th. Lorain and 20th is also another potential site of a 10+ story building. A successful completion of the Irish Bend park, Church & State and Market Square will push development in Ohio City into overdrive.  

Edited by Clefan98
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

33 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

There's plans for a 12-15 story residential building on the NE quadrant of Det and 25th. Lorain and 20th is also another potential site of a 10+ story building. A successful completion of the Irish Bend park, Church & State and Market Square, will push development in Ohio City into overdrive.  

Great.  But all aspirational and unannounced.  Not going to be built in 18 months per the coffee shop hopefuls.

• Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Htsguy said:

Great.  But all aspirational and unannounced.  Not going to be built in 18 months per the coffee shop hopefuls.

The project on 25th and Detroit is passed the aspiration stage.

Edited by Clefan98
  • Like 8

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see Hemingway's Bridgeworks development start construction within 18 months @Htsguy.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Clefan98 said:

There's plans for a 12-15 story residential building on the NE quadrant of Det and 25th. Lorain and 20th is also another potential site of a 10+ story building. A successful completion of the Irish Bend park, Church & State and Market Square will push development in Ohio City into overdrive.  

The tricky part will be how the neighborhood manages to integrate the public housing units with the market rate developments into a cohesive and unified whole, rather than "a tale of two cities" between the "haves and the have nots". Public spaces such as parks are the "glue" that keeps communities together as gathering places from all walks of life. But they have to be welcoming places that feel safe rather than than hang out areas of problematic people ( Market Square can feel that way). I  think Irish Bend park needs to be a welcoming place (like the refurbished Public Square) for the community to succeed. Hope it pans out.

• Like 1

• MayDay locked this topic
  • X unlocked this topic
On 12/31/2019 at 6:18 PM, Klingaling87 said:

Good news is that Bridgeworks will be completely affordable units in a prime location. That’s how development should be... mixed uses and mixed incomes. But I will say that 12-15 stories is exaggerated. 10 stories max.

When you say "mixed incomes" are you talking about section 8 housing or just cheaper rentals?  Just curious

1 hour ago, marty15 said:

Church + State today. Thread locked ? 

22692826-4969-47E0-B028-770FFF98286A.jpeg

I was considering stopping to get a photo on this nice sunny day today, but after seeing your photo @marty15 I'm glad I didn't. There's no way I could top that pic!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 6:18 PM, Klingaling87 said:

Good news is that Bridgeworks will be completely affordable units in a prime location. That’s how development should be... mixed uses and mixed incomes. But I will say that 12-15 stories is exaggerated. 10 stories max.

Is Bridgeworks the new project on the former Cuyahoga County Engineers property?  If yes, in a Crain's article on Michael Panzica leaving Hemingway and starting his own development firm it is suggested that the building here will be six stories or less.

Edited by Htsguy

Yes. Bridgeworks is the Engineers site project.