KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: City Club Apartments

On 2/21/2020 at 4:08 PM, mack34 said:

I love it!!  This city desperately needs a splash of modern design.   

I'm guessing you mean contemporary. Modernist is an era of Architecture and this does not fit it.

Modern architecture, or modernist architecture, was based upon new and innovative technologies of construction, particularly the use of glass, steel and reinforced concrete; the idea that form should follow function (functionalism); an embrace of minimalism; and a rejection of ornament.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, marty15 said:

Maybe they prefer “balconies” like they approved for the Langston at CSU. What is this nonsense?

DCCD3224-18C7-4D89-AC8C-0DA297A5D298.jpeg

Here’s the garbage they sign off on.

I suspect that the intent of those "balconies" is to provide a door -- a larger opening than a window, and the door can be opened to let more light and air into the apartment than a window would.  The railing is there more as a safety measure when the door is open, and extends across the windows for aesthetic reasons, not to provide outdoor space for the tenants. 

On 2/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, surfohio said:

Nobody can convince me that purple color is tasteful on a building. But otherwise I do like the overall design. 

Go to London. There are wacky colors all over some of the buildings there and its arguably cloudier than Cleveland. I considered it to be a nice change of pace.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, ASP1984 said:

There are wacky colors all over some of the buildings there and its arguably cloudier than Cleveland.

London sees an average of 1633 hours of sunshine per year.  Cleveland sees 2280.  Cleveland gets more hours of sunshine in every month of the year than London.

For all we dump on Cleveland's weather, Cleveland is also sunnier on average for the year than Columbus, and much sunnier than Pittsburgh.  (Columbus gets more sunshine in the winter, but less in the summer.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1