KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: City Club Apartments

Maybe I’m blinded by the death of a parking lot but I like it. In a downtown with so much heavy brown, beige and grey I like the quirky brightness of this. What’s wrong with having a blend of all styles?  Totally get it’s not for everyone. 

• Like 15

I've mentioned this before, but I was driving a friend's friend around and he said downtown looked out of the soviet era (harsh) but he did have a little point with all of the conservative architecture and real lack of colors that aren't brown, grey, and black. When we get more things like this our downtown will really have an interesting feel to it. I wish we had a ton of our old downtown architecture like Pittsburgh, but we don't, so here we are- filling in craters where awesome buildings once stood. Here's to this being a future 'awesome building' on Euclid.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, GISguy said:

I've mentioned this before, but I was driving a friend's friend around and he said downtown looked out of the soviet era (harsh) but he did have a little point with all of the conservative architecture and real lack of colors that aren't brown, grey, and black. When we get more things like this our downtown will really have an interesting feel to it. I wish we had a ton of our old downtown architecture like Pittsburgh, but we don't, so here we are- filling in craters where awesome buildings once stood. Here's to this being a future 'awesome building' on Euclid.

Pittsburgh has its fair share of non-historic junk architecture (as well as some newer, conservative architecture).  What gives their downtown a nicer feel IMO is the narrow street widths.  Our super wide avenues are what give downtown a strange "big but open at the same time" feel.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jam40jeff said:

Pittsburgh has its fair share of non-historic junk architecture (as well as some newer, conservative architecture).  What gives their downtown a nicer feel IMO is the narrow street widths.  Our super wide avenues are what give downtown a strange "big but open at the same time" feel.

For sure. I guess the narrow streets just help highlight the older architecture a bit better down there/makes it feel like there's more, not to mention our topography here is a bit different and things aren't forced to be squeezed together in the Golden Triangle. But that's a topic for another thread 🙂 didn't mean to drag things, thanks for pointing that out.

Perfectly coordinated architectural blocks can be boring - particularly as styles evolve overtime. The eclecticism of a “funky” structure next to a traditional one, to me, is a signature of interesting big cities and creates a special urban energy. In recent years , Cleveland has added a number of modern buildings that have changed the feel of downtown - I think this one will continue that positive trend. Bring it on and hopefully more coming! 

• Like 6
  • Love 3

On 2/21/2020 at 3:18 PM, viscomi said:

Seems to have a quite a bit of difference in setback compared to 668 next door.

YES the sidewalk will be double the width because they want room for patio seating and for street furniture too.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think the colors will be great at least initially. Wouldn’t be surprised if they don’t age well, but I also don’t really care. We’ve got a few buildings that didn’t age well, so what’s one more?

• Like 1

Just now, w28th said:

^Really setting a high bar on design.

I’m happy when stuff gets built and when equitable development happens. How many cities are there where 90% of the buildings are attractive? Every city has a bunch of ugly buildings, although obviously in different proportions. I do think the City Club design is attractive, but if it ages poorly, so be it.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Frmr CLEder said:

They can use Sherwin William's paints to keep it looking fresh!

As required by the pending state historic tax credit revisions that will require use of Sherwin Williams paints and coatings for the next 3 generations 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/21/2020 at 4:08 PM, mack34 said:

I love it!!  This city desperately needs a splash of modern design.   

I'm guessing you mean contemporary. Modernist is an era of Architecture and this does not fit it.

Modern architecture, or modernist architecture, was based upon new and innovative technologies of construction, particularly the use of glass, steel and reinforced concrete; the idea that form should follow function (functionalism); an embrace of minimalism; and a rejection of ornament.

On 1/16/2020 at 2:54 PM, marty15 said:

Maybe they prefer “balconies” like they approved for the Langston at CSU. What is this nonsense?

DCCD3224-18C7-4D89-AC8C-0DA297A5D298.jpeg

Here’s the garbage they sign off on.

I suspect that the intent of those "balconies" is to provide a door -- a larger opening than a window, and the door can be opened to let more light and air into the apartment than a window would.  The railing is there more as a safety measure when the door is open, and extends across the windows for aesthetic reasons, not to provide outdoor space for the tenants. 

On 2/21/2020 at 1:58 PM, surfohio said:

Nobody can convince me that purple color is tasteful on a building. But otherwise I do like the overall design. 

Go to London. There are wacky colors all over some of the buildings there and its arguably cloudier than Cleveland. I considered it to be a nice change of pace.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, ASP1984 said:

There are wacky colors all over some of the buildings there and its arguably cloudier than Cleveland.

London sees an average of 1633 hours of sunshine per year.  Cleveland sees 2280.  Cleveland gets more hours of sunshine in every month of the year than London.

For all we dump on Cleveland's weather, Cleveland is also sunnier on average for the year than Columbus, and much sunnier than Pittsburgh.  (Columbus gets more sunshine in the winter, but less in the summer.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cadmen said:

Also, since you feel relatively confident that announced projects will get built have you heard anything more on the City Club building breaking ground this summer?  Thanks.

I don't feel anything. I share what I know, when I can. And the last I'd heard, City Club is still a go with a January groundbreaking.

Edited by KJP
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz