KJP

Cleveland: Downtown: City Club Apartments

Well ... wow. I like a lot about the design, but I think it looks terrible in this spot, especially next to the City Club building. It'd fit in wonderfully on the west bank of the Flats or in other areas of downtown. I love the playfulness and color and creativity, but I'm just not a fan of this design in this location.

Edited by Paul in Cleveland
  • Like 8
  • Dislike 4

3 minutes ago, tastybunns said:

It's like we have our own little cosmopolitan hotel from Vegas

Vegas was the first thing I thought of too

Not quite as tall as I was envisioning but does an amazing job of filling the gap with something different, energetic and funky!  Cant wait to see this get going.  And I hope they do keep the reference to the Hippodrome, I love that!!

• Like 3

This should turn out nicely...we’re really missing a little high-rise architecture like this downtown! 

• Like 2

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

Hot Damn! Those renderings look better than I could have imagined. Please Design Review Board don't muck this up. It ain't broke - don't fix it. Thank You.

• Like 8

Looks like it fills in the gap pretty nicely. I like how it looks when next to the historic Euclid architecture along the street. It stands out and gives the stretch an added mix of modernism.

• Like 11

This is already my favorite building downtown. And Stark still begging for more public handouts. This is way cooler looking  than Nucleus.

Edited by marty15
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, freefourur said:

Two story retail is very interesting.  That would lead me to believe that they might have a retailer lined up. I doubt they'd forego apartment space for speculative retail but we shall see. 

from the City Design Review package, it looks like the two-story retail is a restaurant and a day care for dogs unfortunately. I'm OK with a cool, 2-story restaurant, but the other use seems like a waste. Hopefully they will have good ventilation and air filtering---a lot of those places smell absolutely awful.

Also, there are very few 3BR units---i'm glad there are at least some---but there aren't many---only 8.  They are only on Floors 13-20 and just one unit per floor.

I know office bldgs have higher floors than residential, but looking at the bldg next to the city club bldg--it looks like the floors---based on the horizontal rows of windows---are a lot shorter per floor-- looking them side by side in the drawings, if the city club (office) bldg were 17 stories tall---it would equal the 20 of the apt bldg---in other words, the apt doesn't look that tall compared to the city club office bldg.

Glad to see balconies.   We still need some high-rise condos (with balconies) downtown!

• Like 2

The density is great, and wow, that’s now the worst building in Cleveland

Edited by w28th
  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Dislike 10

Beautiful. Cleveland definitely needs more contemporary architecture like this. I also love the nod to history with the Hippodrome name for the restaurant. I hope that sticks around and isn't just a placeholder name. The only thing that disappoints me is that we won't lose the current curb cut. I was hoping that could be done away with since there is access to the garage from Prospect too.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, w28th said:

The density is great, and wow, that’s now the worst building in Cleveland

What a shocker that you don't like it. 

Edited by jeremyck01
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

Finally - a worthy substitute for the building with the Hippodrome Theatre (or at least possibly worthy)!  Now let's get on with it!  Two floors of commercial?  Reminds me of Toronto and other Real Cities....

Edited by lafont
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

Love it!!!!
To the naysayers (there are always naysayers), the finished product never looks like the renderings.

So, breath. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PAZUZU said:

Great news, the place looks great but I won’t hold my breath that it will get built. 

All of Euclid is built out, or in the process. The toxic negativity continues. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, PoshSteve said:

Beautiful. Cleveland definitely needs more contemporary architecture like this. I also love the nod to history with the Hippodrome name for the restaurant. I hope that sticks around and isn't just a placeholder name. The only thing that disappoints me is that we won't lose the current curb cut. I was hoping that could be done away with since there is access to the garage from Prospect too.

I think the thing people miss about the usefulness of the curb cuts is that without them cars or trucks stopped in front of the building will block the road without a curb cut. This already happens in many places on Euclid and adds to restricted traffic flow for both buses and other traffic. The curb cuts are needed!!

• Like 3

It's nice to see that Euclid Avenue has reached the point where each new development is compelled to exceed the accolades of its predecessor.  First the Nine, then the Beacon, then the Lumen, now City Club, with each new development garnering more admiration than the previous development. This is a great problem to have. It establishes ever higher expectations and increases the quality of the developments.

Edited by Frmr CLEder
  • Like 11
  • Love 1

Love it!  This will be very impactful on the Euclid Corridor . It actually reminds me of an apartment building you’d see in Vancouver (where there are  many more like it).  So much to like here -the “playful” nature of the street level, the balconies, the funky top, big windows and the color scheme. It will have a bright, airy feel while adding significant density and modernity to the block. With the new Lumen and Beacon towers In the mix,   there’s a much younger and energetic feel to this increasingly dynamic Avenue. . Another great addition downtown! 

• Like 13
  • Love 1

^^^ The “weird things that stick out all over the place” are one of my favorite aspects of the design. It’s fun! Plus, think of how much better the views along Euclid from those are for the residents. 

• Like 10

I know y’all hate negative design opinions because, let’s face it, any and all development in Cleveland is amazing, but...are there any other architects or designers here? Because damn...the mid-section of this building is a hot mess. The street level views and first 2 floors are well done, perfect. And whatever is going on at the top is great. But what in God’s name is happening in between? It’s as out of place and as much of an eyesore as the beacon to me. I hope they calm it down. Cleveland doesn’t need this much eclecticism on Euclid - it’s not the place. I’m confused by how many people like the design. The ideas are great - the balconies, prisms, and colors - but the execution in these renderings is questionable. I know it will change, it always does. But I’m just truly confounded by the amount of love for these originals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Dislike 4

20 minutes ago, MayDay said:

I guess I don't mind the protruding elements but I'd be curious what the architect's rationale is for their placement and the color scheme. They don't seem to be very purposeful (especially the blue/purple swaths) other than "mixing it up".

I don't really mind it. I like how it makes you think. Architecture is art, and I'm excited to see something funky and different in Cleveland that doesn't necessarily make sense. It certainly stands out above other buildings I've seen, and hopefully it will stand out to visitors of Cleveland as well and leave an impression.

• Like 5

I love the design as is but I feel it will go the way of Church + State and keep the same design but "tone down" the color scheme to more neutral colors. 

• Like 1

This is the first new build construction between Public Square and East 12th in 80-90 years on that side of the street. I love that It doesn’t blend with the surrounding buildings. Aside from filling in the last remaining gap in that stretch, it’ll add so much life to Euclid. Love it.

• Like 13
  • Love 1

I always say that when it comes to design, Cleveland plays it conservative entirely too much. We are entering a new age of Cleveland and I feel the designs should reflect that. 

• Like 13
  • Love 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, MayDay said:

I guess I don't mind the protruding elements but I'd be curious what the architect's rationale is for their placement and the color scheme. They don't seem to be very purposeful (especially the blue/purple swaths) other than "mixing it up".

Just a thought, and I don't know this for sure, but I would think that from the perspective of the building owner, they offer a way to differentiate units and hit different price points based on the amenities of that particular unit- lower price (flat windows), higher price (balcony) highest price (protruding over the street all weather breakfast nook thingy).  Offering those unique amenities would also make those units more marketable as they offer some drama that most downtown units lack.  I think the people who will pay the premium to have the balconies or protruding nooks will be very "passionate" about their unique units and likely stay longer.  But, that's just a guess.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, MyPhoneDead said:

I always say that when it comes to design, Cleveland plays it conservative entirely too much. We are entering a new age of Cleveland and I feel the designs should reflect that. 

I've mentioned it before, but I used to do Airbnb at my place and showed some folks around town and one commented some of it looked like a cold war city. While that's harsh and a tad ridiculous, it does speak to our conservative nature of beige and browns, and until the lumen, limited glass a la Toronto and Chi.

I think exciting cities have a mix of spots and styles and this is weird but in a good way. Much like the beacon it adds some flair to our awesome old architecture. 

• Like 5

I tend to agree.  Cleveland finally transitioned away from the brutalist style in the 70s, but ended up getting a lot of dark, drab buildings - Bond Court, Diamond Shamrock, Eaton, etc.  Glad to see these newer buildings going lighter and brighter.  Let's keep them coming!

Edited by skiwest
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, GISguy said:

I've mentioned it before, but I used to do Airbnb at my place and showed some folks around town and one commented some of it looked like a cold war city. While that's harsh and a tad ridiculous, it does speak to our conservative nature of beige and browns, and until the lumen, limited glass a la Toronto and Chi.

I think exciting cities have a mix of spots and styles and this is weird but in a good way. Much like the beacon it adds some flair to our awesome old architecture. 

There’s no mistaking Cleveland’s status as a legacy city, and the restoration of the Hanna, CAC (Athlon) and JHB (Euclid Grand) help you celebrate that.  But I agree, I love the way the new meshes with the old.  Keep on building these glassy, vibrant towers!

• Like 11

4 hours ago, tagalong said:

I know y’all hate negative design opinions because, let’s face it, any and all development in Cleveland is amazing, but...are there any other architects or designers here? Because damn...the mid-section of this building is a hot mess. The street level views and first 2 floors are well done, perfect. And whatever is going on at the top is great. But what in God’s name is happening in between? It’s as out of place and as much of an eyesore as the beacon to me. I hope they calm it down. Cleveland doesn’t need this much eclecticism on Euclid - it’s not the place. I’m confused by how many people like the design. The ideas are great - the balconies, prisms, and colors - but the execution in these renderings is questionable. I know it will change, it always does. But I’m just truly confounded by the amount of love for these originals.

I understand that the Beacon and now this design aren’t for everybody, but I appreciate how they shake things up. The designs of these two buildings offer a different dynamic to Euclid and a different perspective on the skyline. It was sorely needed. 

• Like 13

The illustration of this exciting new tower with a related reference to the Hippodrome on the marquee sent me snooping across the web to learn more. There's so much content out there about it too. - Jon Phillip Sousa performed there often, also Fanny Brice, Babe Ruth, Isadora Duncan, Anna Pavlova, Will Rogers; Enrico Caruso, Sarah Bernhardt, W. C. Fields, Al Jolson, John McCormack... The auditorium had two balconies with elevators, and seating for 3,548. They all played the Hipp!  Sousa insisted on performing in Cleveland each time he passed through with his band. The dining room shown in the historic image below was a part of the Hippodrome lobby.

Needless to say, the tower above the Hippodrome was not short on contemporary decoration of that era, so I'm reluctant to shun the now contemporary elements on this long-awaited replacement. 

* The only change I might prefer would be that the parking entrance to the right of the new tower be designed to appear integral to the building. Perhaps as if under some sort of (transom?) or other defining element. Such might make it appear inclusive to the building and not leave an open gap between the new City Club tower and 668. As it appears now, the space will simply look like an open alley.  (I really do hate the way the props supporting the front parapet of 668 are so visible, they make the otherwise elegant 668 look like a cheap movie prop.)

hipp2.jpg

2096269670_ScreenShot2020-01-10at4_40_49PM.thumb.png.b68d69d71f0fcec4636038486237983e.png

Hipp.jpg

Edited by ExPatClevGuy
grammar, spelling, some fresh opinion content about 668
  • Like 4