KJP

Cleveland: City Club Apartments

The only CCA building I enjoy the architecture of is their Ann Arbor midrise

City Club Ann Arbor Renderings.jpeg

Edited by Boxtruffles

"We each pay a fabulous price
  for our visions of paradise."
     - ????, ???????

There is some activity on this site today. It looks like it could be soil testing? I got a photo, but it’s not very helpful. The parking lot is closed on the Euclid side and there are multiple machines working. 

ABEABF79-F8B3-41D9-8B2E-D789DC3F85B6.jpeg

• Like 3

Why the vertical, drill-like apparatus on those trucks? But if they're repaving, that's not a good sign for the apartment building.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I drove by there today as well and saw multiple trucks with drilling equipment. I doubt they are repaving the parking lot with that type of machinery there. They are obviously doing soil samples for building not a new parking lot. 

• Like 3

On 9/21/2015 at 11:55 AM, SixthCity said:

So despite the retarring/painting, the rig is still set up in the lot.  Now drilling in the northeast corner:

The rig was from a company called DLZ.  Here is their site: https://dlz.com/

IMG_3461_zps77rhh5ti.jpg

Here is a closer pic of the surface:

IMG_3463_zpsnqjiq5v1.jpg

So if this Sept. 21, 2015 test boring at the Playhouse Square parking lot (aka Lumen, aka the last high-rise built on a parking lot) is any indication, we should see construction start on a City Club Apartments Tower in about three years.... 😛

• Like 2

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

I don't know what the end result will be but they were definitely doing geotechnical work.

BTW, I think this project has a better shot of happening than The Beacon did in 2014. I've got a blog article in the works explaining why. No insider stuff. Just my own musings.

• Like 2

Nucleus-2020-1.jpg

SATURDAY, MARCH 9, 2019

Four downtown towers are in the works

The City Club Apartments might benefit from a similar arrangement. Thus far Holtzman has not purchased land from Goldberg Companies which owns 720 Euclid, the property that has a surface parking lot on Euclid, a surface lot on Prospect and a six-story, 540-space parking deck in between. He may not purchase any land and instead form a partnership with Goldberg to reduce his upfront costs.

Holtzman has a knack for reducing costs on developments while also finding hidden value. Thus it is possible that there will be little or no parking added as a result of this development. That could save $10 million+ from the cost of building this project.

There are more reasons why this project has a better shot at happening than The Beacon in 2014. City Club Apartments is a larger company and better capitalized that Stark Enterprises. Holtzman sold an apartment building in St. Louis for $48 million, in part to help capitalize his Cleveland project. The downtown Cleveland real estate market is stronger than when The Beacon was first planned five years ago. And this project can benefit from the Opportunity Zone program which increases liquidity by reducing investors' tax burdens when they reinvest their capital gains in projects that are in O-Zones. Downtown Cleveland is in such a zone.

MORE:

https://neo-trans.blogspot.com/2019/03/four-downtown-towers-are-in-works.html

• Like 2

@YABO713 and I saw that rig this evening. If traffic allowed us to back up and find a parking space, I would have gotten out and asked them what they're doing there. But thanks to your photo, I didn't need to. DLZ is a surveyor firm that does geotechnical analysis, including for apartment towers. It's the same firm that extracted core samples for the Lumen tower up the street....

• Like 4

If the Lumen is any guide, we may not see rendering for another year or two.

• Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

I checked city building permits but apparently these geotechnical drillers don't need permits for what they're doing.

59 minutes ago, CLE_Millennial said:

DRILLING SPOTTED.

I asked one of the workers what the drilling was for, and he responded with "I cannot currently disclose that information"

Hmmmmm wonder what that could mean 🤔

IMG_20190327_091519464.jpg

IMG_20190327_091505339_HDR.jpg

Clearly you are just as nosy as @YABO713😛

Better watch yourself.  They might have instructions to stuff you in the back of a truck and drive you out to a field in Streetsboro just for asking.

• Like 1

Considering who's doing the geotechnical survey work here, I consider that a very good sign. Just don't expect to see any renderings for at least another year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Htsguy said:

Clearly you are just as nosy as @YABO713😛

Better watch yourself.  They might have instructions to stuff you in the back of a truck and drive you out to a field in Streetsboro just for asking.

No!  Not that!  NOT STREETSBORO!

With the geotech work done, schematic designs are nearly done and due to be released soon. I know someone who claims to have seen an elevation render but can't share it yet. He says 17 stories.

• Like 10

Yep. And it fits with the scale of what City Club has tended to build in other cities as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KJP said:

With the geotech work done, schematic designs are nearly done and due to be released soon. I know someone who claims to have seen an elevation render but can't share it yet. He says 17 stories.

Nice!  17 bothers me though, I like even numbers except for 0's and 5's...so let's round that thing up to 20 stories! (just my strange nature)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cfdwarrior said:

Nice!  17 bothers me though, I like even numbers except for 0's and 5's...so let's round that thing up to 20 stories! (just my strange nature)

It’ll be 18 once you get in the elevator 😉  🚫 13

• Like 1

Verified, borings at the former Hippodrome site are for a project. 20 story apartment building. I have no other info unfortunately.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, w28th said:

Verified, borings at the former Hippodrome site are for a project. 20 story apartment building. I have no other info unfortunately.

We could look around in 12-24 months and see tower cranes all over. This, 2 for Nucleus, Metrohealth, Church & State, 2 for Market Square, Lumen, a few others that might happen....... Was just in Nashville and got crane envy. Counted 12 towers up. 

• Like 2

Quick update.

There's a backhoe on site in the rear of the property. No parking in the lot today.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I'm told there are already renderings of this project (yep, I'm trying to get a copy), which is surprising because of the geotech trucks on site. Perhaps the renderings will be amended?

• Like 4

Yay! 😎

Edited by KJP
  • Like 2
  • Confused 5
  • Poison 1