The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)

Just a few notes...nothing spectacular or Earth-shattering here:

* 228 Mohawk St. was bought by YB Real Estate Development Company on November 28.  They are already starting some work on it.  This is a two-family that was built some time around 1865.

228mohawk1oe.jpg

* Model Management (dba Magnolia Heights Limited Partnership LLC) has purchased 1537 Pleasant St. (condemned), 217 Mulberry St. and 208 W. Fourteenth St.

1537pleasant7nh.jpg    217mulberry2ux.jpg    208w14th6ba.jpg

* A vacant lot at 1725 Pleasant St. was also purchased last month.  I'm not sure who's project this is or what (or if) they might be building.  This lot has been vacant for nearly five years.

* 75 Peete St. was purchased.

* Downtown Property Management picked up 1420-1424 Central Pkwy (next to their building at 1416) and also a vacant lot adjacent to that property at 225 W. Fifteenth.

^To the above comments I've realized for a long time that OTR if its to be improved is going to look different then it does right now.  Many buildings in the area are just shells and much of the population living in OTR will have to move.  The future of OTR is most likely as an economically middle class  neighborhood with flashes of wealth and minor flashes of not.  But I'd rather have a decently vibrant neighborhood then a couple of street stretches followed by crap.

A few things of interest:

* Mohawk: The city unanimously passed an ordinance to enter into a Preferred Developers Agreement with the non-profit Mohawk Area Development Corporation to construct up to 10 single-family homes at 254, 258-266, 270-272 and 278 Mohawk St.  These parcels are currently vacant.  This is very good news for the Mohawk/Brewery District area.

* Verdin is renovating the office buildings at 1117 Pendleton St.

1117pendletona0wp.jpg    1117pendletonb6aw.jpg

* The Department of Community Development and Planning is currently working with the Brewery District Community Urban Redevelopment Corporation to create an "Urban Mix" zoning for the area north of Findlay Market.  This would allow both residential and light industrial uses in the neighborhood and could lead to more condo/apartment conversions of old factory buildings.  It is expected that this proposal will be brought before the City Planning Commission in early 2006.

* The city will likely pull $972,430 from the OTR Plan Implementation fund to pay the judgement against it in Barnes v. The City of Cincinnati.  This case, of course, was the one in which Barnes, a transsexual police recruit, failed to make it out of his probationary period.  Barnes claimed sex discrimination, while the city cited poor performance.  The city lost the case and needs the funds to pay.  They are supposed to reimburse the OTR fund in 2006.  They had better!

100elder2km.jpg

Greg Badger's incomplete project at 100 Elder may be back on track.

The city loaned $240,000 in CDBG funds to kickstart this project.  Work was being done on this building during 2004, but due to bad market conditions/lack of additional funds he wasn't able to complete it.

Badger has now submitted a plan for a modified project.  The new project will include more commercial space and fewer residential units.

I am unfamiliar with the project plans for the former use or the amended plans.

The agreement for the new development states that it must be completed by March 31, 2007.

The ordinance allowing for this has been sent to Finance Committee to crunch numbers, with no timetable for return.

Also, SmartMoney (a non-profit that provides financial services to a community left without any banks) is moving from Vine St. to a new 4,700 square foot office at 19 W. Elder St.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051216/BIZ01/512160362/1076/rss01

In the summer of 2004 they were rehabing the old apt. bldg. on the NEC of Broadway & Reading. I noticed some printing on the corner columns where apparently a 1st floor store existed.  I am very happy that I took these photos before they covered them back over. It's a real shame they did.  Thought you might enjoy them. 

The printing on Broadway1 says: Wine, Brandy, Alcohol, Terpentine, Powder, Shot, (I can't make out the bottom two words)

Broadway2 is illegible to me

Broadway3 says:  Linseed and (?) Lard Oil, ?ANAR?, RAPE (RARE?) (!!), AND HEMPSEED  :-D (good thing Simon Leis wasn't around) POWDER CAPS (?) AND SHOT (?)

Broadway4 is mostly illegible to me also, they had started to spackle it  :x  but the bottom word says GLUE...

Anyway, these will probably never see the light of day again, so thought I'd share the photos. 

snapped this pic today of a couple of places nearing completion.  they are in front of the Rothenburg School at E. Clifton & Main.  Don't know anything about their history, they appear to be 1850-1860ish, based on the exterior veranda and general design.  The roofs are shingled, there's a guy working up there, and that's the window of a DishTV truck in the lower right corner!

After a brief pause in construction on Peete, Frintz, and E. Clifton, Jim Hohlbein is back to work with a new builder.  72 E. Clifton (3 condos) will be finished within the month.  Joe Gorman called me last night and said he and Karen Blatt are moving forward with new construction on the South side of Mulberry (joe was the developer for the 5 new Vinyard Homes on Mulberry) and I can not give the addresses until closing but there will be at least 2 more major rehabs on Mulberry this year.  109 Mulberry top floor is now complete and owner occupied, the lower levels have just begun contruction and will be market rate condo hopefully on the market in the spring.  The same owner of 109 Mulberry, Michael Evans of GBBN along with Cathy Frank of Comey have purchased the lower unit of 29 Mulberry and plans are now drawn up to make it into 2 condo units (making the building 4 units, 2 already sold) both 1 bed 1.5 baths, this is south side closer to Vine. 

I saw it posted above about 75 Peete St being sold, it was sold to a man named Joseph George.  He and his wife came down for the tour and saw a side of OTR and Mt. Auburn they did not know existed, they live in Mason but now want to invest in the area.

^ Thanks for those updates!  That's great news!

Has Hohlbein been getting very many bites on the condos at 72A-C Clifton?  The reason I ask is because they have been listed on the market now for quite some time.  I was just wondering how much interest was there.

The project was all but shut down for a couple of months due to a string of problems.  Now he is turning the corner with a whole new strategy including a new builder and new marketing campaign.  There was one bite on 72A by a piano teacher, however that deal fell apart for whatever reason.  Fletcher Zorbec was to purchase one of the condos and I am assuming that is still on.  Jim has been very busy with more aquisitions in the area and now he has a new investor on board also, hopefully this year will see some major changes between Mulberry and Mcmicken.

I went ahead and changed the name of the thread.  When I first created it, I hadn't intended for it to be the catch-all OTR thread, which is what it became.  I thought I'd go ahead and take the "2005" out of the title since hopefully this thing will be added to for years to come!

This thread will remain the place for discussion of small projects.  The mega-projects still have their pages.

* In the Mohawk/Brewery District area, the owner of 278 Stark St. is starting a project to tear out the front of the house and repair it.  The front of the house was heavily damaged by fire a few months back. 

278stark5bm.jpg

* Model Management is doing a full renovation of 1702 Elm St.  This may have been mentioned already.  The building has had tenants and will probably remain apartments.

1702elm0zu.jpg

Emergency demolition started yesterday at the rectory of St. Paulus Kirche, SWC 15th and Race.  This is the small building to the left of the church.  All the decorative carved stone faces and fish carvings were removed from the facade yesterday by the contractor and sold.  The demolition was ordered because of a collapse of a rear wing.  However, the rear wing is structurally independent of the front, which should have been saved.  This building was a true gem.  The only close up photos I have are in a box somewhere, otherwise I would post them.

As far as I know, the church structure will remain standing for the time being.

paul_371x550.jpg

oh that is bad news about st paulus kirche :-(  I heard that there was a satanic cult using that church recently. That area is losing badly the last year or so. There was a fire about a couple of blocks away yesterday and the 4-5 story building will probably be lost, it's  near the corner of central pkwy and liberty.

Reported by: 9News

Web produced by: Mark Sickmiller

Photographed by: 9News

First posted: 1/9/2006 12:04:03 PM

Firefighters were on the scene of a stubborn fire near the corner of West Liberty and Elm in Over-The-Rhine at noon Monday.

A building caught on fire around 11 a.m. Firefighters do have the fire under control.

There are no injuries.

Several streets in the area are blocked, so you'll want to avoid the area.

The church I believe is still up for sale by the city.  Jimmy, when was that pic taken?

The city removed the for sale sign 6 months or so ago.  I called to ask why, and they said all the city owned property in the area is being reserved for a private developer, (I suppose is 3CDC).  The pic is circa 1999.

15th to Liberty, west of Vine has terrible vacancy and drug dealing problems, and has had many demolitions and fires over the past several years.  This is also a key area in which 3CDC is making many purchases.

The recent fire damage is visible at the SEC of Liberty and Central Pkwy.  What a shame.

I went ahead and moved the 3CDC posts over to the Washington Park thread:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/index.php?topic=2568.0

* The St. Johannes Church (1868) at 1205 Elm St. just hit the market.  The Greater Bethlehem Temple Apostolic Church is selling it, as they have just about wrapped up construction of their massive, 3000-seat complex at Hamiton and Ashtree in Northside.  The asking price is $190,000.

1205elm9uu.jpg

* Schickel Design Co. has moved from Loveland into a building at 124 W. Fourteenth St.  They bought this building in 2004 and have renovated it.  The building had been vacant for 30 years.

124w14th8sq.jpg

* City council voted unanimously to amend its funding agreement with Greg Badger for the property at 100 W. Elder St., allowing him to complete the project.

From the 1/17/06 Enquirer:

PHOTO: Moeller teacher Mike Moroski (front) and freshman Brach Schwegman fix up an apartment building in Over-the-Rhine Monday as part of the ReSTOC effort.  The Enquirer/Meggan Booker

Students' rehab project turning 'vacant' into 'home'

By Denise Smith Amos

Enquirer staff writer

OVER-THE-RHINE - It has taken 15 months of hard work, but a dilapidated Over-the-Rhine apartment building is beginning to look like someone's future home, thanks to a group of Moeller High students and some skilled volunteer help.

Moeller students, led by English teacher Mike Moroski, have "adopted" an old apartment building on Republic Street, gutting and rehabbing it into apartments for ReSTOC, an affordable housing group. They have devoted their Saturdays and, most recently, their Martin Luther King holiday Monday to finishing the work.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060117/NEWS0102/601170331/1058/NEWS01

It appears that Jim Hohlbein's three-unit project at 72A-72C Clifton Ave. has been temporarily taken off of the market.  Michael--or somebody else--is he just waiting a while to re-list it?  That's what I had assumed, given the info you had on the development not too long ago.

This news is a little old, but still noteworthy.  From the 1/12/06 Cincinnati Business Courier:

Renter Equity program awarded $112,000 Impact 100 grant

The Community Views Renter Equity program, a joint venture of the Over-the-Rhine Housing Network and Cornerstone Community Loan Fund, will receive the second Impact 100 grant of $112,000 from funds donated in 2005.

Community Views replaces the Genesis Men's Program as a recipient.

http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/01/09/daily32.html?from_rss=1

<i>What I don't like about the Enquirer redo is there being too many headlines and they seem to be constantly updated so it easy to lose track of what I read or didn't. It also harder to find articles like this. </i>

<b>Preservation work toured

National Trust comes to town</b>

BY MARLA MATZER ROSE | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Local preservationists have a special opportunity this weekend to highlight hotspots in Over-the-Rhine and other areas that are ripe for renovation efforts.

The Washington-based National Trust for Historic Preservation is holding its quarterly board of trustees meeting in Cincinnati this weekend. The event starts today and runs through Monday morning.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060128/BIZ01/601280344/1076

I don't want to bring anybody down, but I also want to post on this thread some of the buildings OTR is going to lose.

Demolition permits were applied for the following property:

23 E. Thirteenth

It was actually being listed for $239,000: "Deutche Gegenfeitige Derlicherungs - Gefellechaft von Cincinnati & the Stafford in Historic Over-the-Rhine."  I guess there were no takers.

LISTING

Goodbye:

Grasscat, I think you may have been mistaken about this building being demolished.  You mentioned that demo permits were applied for, but it is highly unlikely that they were granted by the historic conservation board (unless you meant that they were in fact granted, and not just applied for).  The board almost never grants a demo permit, and only does so when the building is so incredibly deteriorated that the owner can demonstrate convincingly that it can't be rehabbed.  That's the good thing about our preservation ordinance -- buildings are not coming down at the whim of developers...rather, they're coming down from demolition by neglect (which still sucks, cause we lost about 8-10 a year that way).

If the building you mentioned was in fact demolished, I REALLY hope that it wasn't actually the "Deutsche Gegenseitige Versicherungs Gesellschaft" building.  This stands for "German Mutual Insurance Company", and can still be seen painted on the side of the building.  Its one of OTR's quirks that signify its history.  I don't think this was the building with those words.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.

Damn...didn't mean to put that second part in quotes....here it is again:

Grasscat, I think you may have been mistaken about this building being demolished.  You mentioned that demo permits were applied for, but it is highly unlikely that they were granted by the historic conservation board (unless you meant that they were in fact granted, and not just applied for).  The board almost never grants a demo permit, and only does so when the building is so incredibly deteriorated that the owner can demonstrate convincingly that it can't be rehabbed.  That's the good thing about our preservation ordinance -- buildings are not coming down at the whim of developers...rather, they're coming down from demolition by neglect (which still sucks, cause we lost about 8-10 a year that way).

If the building you mentioned was in fact demolished, I REALLY hope that it wasn't actually the "Deutsche Gegenseitige Versicherungs Gesellschaft" building.  This stands for "German Mutual Insurance Company", and can still be seen painted on the side of the building.  Its one of OTR's quirks that signify its history.  I don't think this was the building with those words.  But please correct me if I'm wrong.

23 E Thirteenth is still there, but vacant and not looking good:

20030727OR090916JPG_med_000_479214D694A14DF2B77A9D93FB96356A_V_0.JPG

The one with the german writing is owned by the same company, JACKSON STREET WAREHOUSE 

LTD, but is separated by an alley:

20030727OR074455JPG_med_000_479214D694A14DF2B77A9D93FB96356A_V_0.JPG

This photo is not so good because it is of the east elevation (it is the building at the corner) and doesn't show the sign that is on the long north side.

I doubt that either of these will actually be demolished because structurally they seem pretty solid.

The Community Revitalization Agency (formerly the Miami Purchase Preservation Fund) is seeking a loan from the city's HOME funds for $217,000 to renovate 8 buildings as affordable housing rental units.

In OTR, these buildings are 1622 Logan, 1627 Walnut, 1624-1626 Moore, and 1642-1644 Vine.

They will also work on 850 Dayton, 1916 Colerain and 2258 Vine.  The West End projects will be posted in that thread.

The total project cost is $5,257,631.  I'm unsure about their other sources of money, but they do get federal Section 8 grants and all kinds of stuff from programs like that.

I won't get into all of the legalese, but this project has the support, in writing, of the Over-the-Rhine Community Council.  It has gone to Finance Committee and it is expected that this will go through council without trouble.

If you're into that sort of thing and really want to know what's in the agreement, the whole 47 pages can be found here:

http://city-egov.rcc.org/BASISCGI/BASIS/council/public/child/DDD/17635.pdf

In other news, the city is getting around to demolishing 1426 Pleasant, which is city-owned and has been vacant for quite some time. 

Here you can see how much of Pleasant St. is missing.  1426 Pleasant St. is the one with the arrow:

1426pleasantaerial7jw.jpg

Post courtesy of Michael Redmond....

This is the now approved plan for the top of Main St in front of Rothenberg.  This plan includes lighting and trees as well as a change of the street by way of a bump out of the sidewalk.

southofrothenburgplan1id.jpg

(NOTE: Rothenburg would be off of the left side of this image.  It's tilted to the left 90 degrees.)

Just wondering, but who's going to implement this plan.  I've noticed many of the buildings at the corner of Main and Liberty (many of those in the above photo) have been boarded up recently as if they're being prepped for construction.  Is this somehow related?  It's certainly exciting. 

Thank you Grasscat

Vernon Rader was the one who pushed this through.  He is also the one who ownes the 5 boarded up buildings you are talking about.  He spent last year on exterior work and now is moving to the inside.  Vernon is moving forward with what will soon be market rate apt.  In addition to what can be seen above, the electric lines will be buried.

the electric lines buried!!!  that makes my day.  i say we all buy a building in otr, renovate it, and live there.  come on everyone, follow me!!!  wahoo.  sorry...been studying way too much and drinking red bull.  finals week at osu fast approaching!

Other news,

as most have probably seen the tire building is coming down as we speak next to Don's Crank Shaft building. Word on the street is Vernon Rader is trying to get Don's. Hopefully within a week or so all of the graffiti on the Rothenberg fence (next to the Basketball courts) will be removed as well as the graffiti running all the way down E. Clifton.

Sunshine on Peete St. We are in the process of removing a lot of the overgrowth on Peete St expecially next to the steps going from Peete to Vine. After it is cleared, it will be landscaped similar to the Main St Steps on Mulberry. We will try this year to get Peete Alley blocked so we can prevent further dumping. Joe Gorman will have his lots cleared on Mulberry which will open up one of the most incredible views from street level of the city. This will probably happen over the next couple of weeks.  Also the Main St. steps were cleared last year from Mulberry to Seitz, this year, hopefully before the cleanup, we are going to clear back the steps going all the way up the hill by 3 ft on both sides to add a little light to what is now a tunnel of trees.

E. Clifton is almost entirely vacant from Frintz to Vine. We are looking for a single developer to take buy this section and rehab the entire block. Footstool properties already is under construction on one of the buildings.

Go Mr. Redmon Go!  The dead end of Peete St. is very rough.  As a fan of the Cincy steps, I am familiar with that set from Peete down to Vine. There are some mangey dogs right there, but fenced in.  The bottom of the steps on Vine St. have a (what was once) a very nice entrance for the steps. 

Here are a few pix I took today around the Main/E. Clifton/Liberty streets area.  (coincidence that I happened to take a couple of that demolition that Michael mentioned.

looking north on Main over Liberty.

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_1892.jpg

IMG_1894.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1898.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

Well OTR fan, its coming back.  Tarbell has dubbed it REPeete. Those steps we thought would take us several years to get to, but the trees are coming down now. The Dept. of Urban Forestry did a walk through of the entire area from Mulberry down to McMicken early last week and we are laying out a phased approach to Peete and E. Clifton that should be well on its way by this fall with new planting.

Some very exciting things are in the works from Liberty and up so keep snapping the pics, things will be changing. If you get a chance, walk down Peete to the end and at the corner of Peete and Frintz, some of the changes have begun.

I accept your challenge!  Keep up the good work. :clap:

here are the Vine to Peete Sts. steps, just for a "before" visual !

Vine01.jpg

once on Peete, here are the steps on up to Mulberry

Peete03.jpg

Peete02.jpg

Does anyone know what is going on with the building on the right hand side of this photo?  It has had quite a bit of work done, just curious as it is a pretty high profile corner which could really jump things across Liberty along Main St.

IMG_1890.jpg

* Gary Mark Custom Homes has purchased empty lots at 508 and 514 Dandridge St. and at 1318 Pendleton St.  The lots are contiguous.  There may finally be some new construction action on the Dandridge Townhomes, which were first proposed in 2003.

* Model Management is getting ready to do a major remodel to provide 10 market-rate apartments at 275 W. McMicken Ave.  (Auditor lists property as 274 Stark.)  The property, which was built around 1875, currently has 18 units.

275wmcmicken7zl.jpg

* The Community Revitalization Agency (CRA) loan referenced in this post passed council unanimously.  CRA will be renovating 1622 Logan, 1627 Walnut, 1624-1626 Moore and 1642-1644 Vine into rental apartments. 

* This may be better addressed by Michael Redmond, but I noticed that the following properties were for sale.  These were supposed to be rehab projects, which I mentioned in this post.  Do you know anything about these?:

2 Hust Alley, 29 E. Clifton, 41 E. Clifton, 57 E. Clifton and 1918 Vine