The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)

I tip my hat to the builders and buyers. They should get an UrbanOhio award. For those going to Tour of Homes in OTR - take pictures! I got out voted and going to Summer Fair at Coney Island instead.

A few more....

* 217-219 Orchard St. has been converted to condos going for $369K each.  I believe this is an Urban Sites property.

217 Orchard listing

219 Orchard listing

217219orchard6kz.jpg

* 1319 Spring St. has been rehabbed as a single-family, selling for $269.9K.  This was built in 1900.

1319 Spring listing

Before and after:

1319springbefore6cq.jpg          1319springafter2jm.jpg

* The 11 lots I mentioned earlier on the 1300 block of Spring St. are in the process of being bought.

* To add to the photo of the City Lofts on Dunlap that were posted from the OTR Tour of Homes (City Photos), here are a couple more from its listing showing a common courtyard:

cityloftsdunlapback8nx.jpg          cityloftsdunlapside8rx.jpg

Pigboy asked (about a month ago) about where the OTR development was.

This bldg is directly across the street from the KD Lamp/Moerlein bldg

and right around the corner from the Dunlap lofts bldg

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=2344.0;id=421;image

This area is just a few blocks NW of Findlay Market.

There is a bar at Dunlap & Henry, Charlies Dunlap Cafe, that stands to make a fortune during development of these properties. :-)

They have a cool beer can collection, too.

Mark

* The Otis Brown guy I mentioned in the Mulberry Hill thread also has permits to destroy two structures in OTR.  The owner/tax address is a woman who lives on Milton St.  I hope it is investment (e.g. something gets built) in the neighborhood and not a way to avoid maintenance.  The properties are 126 E. Liberty (1873) and an adjacent garage at 128 E. Liberty (no big loss):

126eliberty7oy.jpg          128eliberty0vf.jpg

^What exactly is happening on that NE corner of Main and Liberty? If it's gonna be condos that a huge piece of the puzzle for that area. Replace that Quick Mart at Liberty and Sycamore and the unsightly building behind with housing and you'll have one big fluid neighborhood.

Replace that Quick Mart at Liberty and Sycamore and the unsightly building behind with housing
  That quickmart is a nuisance  for the mulberry hill area. The drug dealing and prostituion going on and around the parking lot and the trash and lighting are disgusting. Is the building behind the quicky the one that is owned by the OTR foundation? That would have a great view from a restored balcony.

* News on 1720-1722 Pleasant St.

The city of Cincinnati has a preferred developer agreement with Jennifer LeMasters and Matthew Wirtz, who have expressed an interest in the redevelopment of the vacant property.  They now have 12 months to come up with a plan and, if a workable plan comes about, to purchase from the city.

http://city-egov.rcc.org/BASISCGI/BASIS/council/public/child/DDD/13333.pdf

BACKGROUND

The City owned property located at 1720-1722-Pleasant Street is one of over twenty City owned properties in the Findlay Market area of Over-the-Rhine that have been offered to the public through Request For Proposals (RFP’s) on several occasions. The developers Lemasters and Wirtz responded to one of the RFPs. Their proposal includes the development of three condominium units and off street parking. The proposed development is one half block from the newly renovated Findlay Market House. It is very important to move forward with the proposed development to create the energy necessary to revitalize the Findlay Market area of Over The Rhine.

http://city-egov.rcc.org/BASISCGI/BASIS/council/public/child/DDD/13332.pdf

Development Schedule (PDF), p. 9

EDIT (7/6/05): This passed council unanimously at the 6/29/05 meeting.

other than 101 and 105 Peete st, 100 E Clifton and one other on Race, I do not know of any other OTR Foundation properties.  With the development on Peete, Frintz, and soon to be E Clifton on the West, and the Vernon Raider project on the East, a big squeeze will be placed on that quicky mart.  Some other redevelopment is bieng done on the corner of Peete and Main.  I do not have the details on who is doing this or what their plan is but I do also know that some big names are eyeing Rothenburg School for a Condo development.

The tire shop mentioned above was purchased by Vernon Raider only a couple of months ago (serious tax problems is what I heard)  so watch this area within the year and it should turn around.  E Clifton will be the next big push and it will only be a matter of time before it is bought up after the Hohlbein project just north of it is completed.  The goal is to take Liberty and north and it is only a matter of time.

Another project I am sure you are all aware of it on Conroy, the Klotter Development, we have decided to include it in the October 9th tour of homes because these places are wonderful.  5 more will be built in addition to the 9 already standing.  I lived on Klotter 12 years ago and let me tell you things have changed.

Full rehab:

* 112-114 E. McMicken Ave.  Building was built in 1859.  Owner also owns 110 E. McMicken.  I'm not quite sure which one is which here, but you get the general idea of the state of the area.

114emcmicken3fh.jpg

To be demolished:

* The old Martin's Club structures as 282 and 284 Stark St. are being demolished by Nicholas Music and Vending (Nicholas Enterprises).  The building was built in 1865 and was in poor condition.  These are the same owners as Martin's Bar, and they own some property in other parts of OTR.  I don't look for anything positive to come from this.

282stark2kn.jpg

I believe those buildings are Jim Hohlbiens buildings.  Jim is the one doing all of the rehabs on Peete, Frintz and he owns several now on E Clifton.  He is purchasing whole streets at a time at the base of Mulberry Hill and is really looking to turn things around.  The biggest problem is the OTR Foundations buildings at 100 E Clifton and 101 and 105 Peete St.  The Foundation for all the good they say they do, is in the slum lord business with these buildings.  Once I figure out how to post a pic on here I will begin to share some of the problems coming out of the Foundations buildings.  These 3 properties are helping to slow down the progress of the base of Mulberry Hill.

QUESTION:

Does anyone know anything about 1612-1616 Moore St. and 1631 Walnut.  All three were purchased recently by St. Anthony Enterprises LLC from Agrilink Foods for $350K each.

Updates:

* The sale of 1124 Main St. (formerly Bar Cincinnati) went through on July 5 for $120,900.  It was bought by Bankers Choice LLC.

* Shabob LLC is beginning $250,000 worth of interior renovations at 79 Peete St.

Old news:

* I don't think anybody has posted any pics of the Light and Manor Houses.  1111 Broadway is particularly striking:

1111broadway9bo.jpg

Buildings lost:

* 108 W. Fifteenth St. is about to bite the dust.  It was in terrible shape and has been owned by the city for three years.  I doesn't appear to have been touched since then, except maybe by crack smokers or the homeless:

108wfifteenth4sh.jpg

UPDATE:

* As of last month, the developers (Open Door Development) of the Moerlein/KD Lamp project were still trying to get a maximum price guarantee from their contractor.  I am not sure if this has been accomplished, but from what I understand once this gets done the first phase of the project should begin to take shape.  They are now proposing 98 units, which will be developed in phases.

I don't know if any of you know anything about the Cincinnati Land Reutilization Program, but it's a program where the city acquires residential development sites in certain neighborhoods.  They are then sold off at low prices for development.

The following have expressed interest in developing sites in OTR and have been heard in front of council:

Belize Breeze LLC:

* 145 Goethe St.  The developer has offered $1,800 and plans a single-family, owner-occupied home.

* 170 Goethe St.  The developer has offered $2,500 and plans a single-family home here as well.  I believe both of these are going in front of the Planning Commission.

Also, city council has voted to release $417,000 in HOME funds to the Miami Purchase Preservation Fund.  The following are the properties they plan to rehab in OTR/Pendleton.  The total project cost is just over $6.5M and will provide an additional 42 units of affordable rental housing (HUD Section 8):

* 1221 Jackson St. (1865, three-family)

(the one on the left)

1221jackson1aa.jpg

* 1609 Pleasant St. (1865, three-family)

(damn...looks like this thing's on a street by itself!)

1609pleasant5xh.jpg

* 519 Dandridge St. (1880, apartments)

* 521 Dandridge St. (1880, apartments)

* 523 Dandridge St. (1888, three-family)

* 527 Dandridge St. (1879, apartments)

519527dandridge1gl.jpg

* 1650-1654 Hamer St./7-17 Back St. (1860, apartments)

16501654hamer1517back9dr.jpg

If anyone cares about the 46-page contract, it can be seen here:

http://city-egov.rcc.org/BASISCGI/BASIS/council/public/child/DDD/14414.pdf

Full rehab:

* 112-114 E. McMicken Ave.  Building was built in 1859.  Owner also owns 110 E. McMicken.  I'm not quite sure which one is which here, but you get the general idea of the state of the area.

114emcmicken3fh.jpg

That picture shows 108 E. McMicken and 110 E. McMicken.

114_e_mcmicken.jpg

112 E. McMicken is the vacant lot to the left and here is 114 E. McMicken.

It will be three ±900SF one-bedroom rentals when completed.  Right now the rehab is pretty straight-forward, but I hope to install a new cornice in the future.

I also own 1622 Walnut, which is slated to begin rehab early next year.

* I mentioned in this post the plan by Belize Breeze, LLC to build single-family homes at 145 and 170 Goethe St.  Ordinances were passed in the 9/8/05 council meeting to allow this to happen.

* Citadel Building Group will build at 218-222 Mulberry St.  An ordinance allowing their purchase of CLRP land was passed unanimously by council.

* The emergency ordinance allowing the Miami Purchase Preservation Fund to renovate buildings in OTR passed unanimously.  Here's the agreement/plan for that:

http://city-egov.rcc.org/BASISCGI/BASIS/council/public/child/DDD/14414.pdf

* $200,000 has been pulled from the account to rehab the Emery Theatre for other uses.  The Emery Center Apartments Limited Partnership was unable to secure matching funds, so that project is off for now.  These monies will be transferred to the neighborhood TIF project.

* The Greater Golden Gate Baptist Church will be wrecking 5 W. McMicken Ave.

5wmcmicken2db.jpg

Belize Breeze is John Coulter (sp?) and he has the new rehab on Sycamore and Goethe (big Sibcy Sign in the front).  From what I hear 218 - 222, which was part of the Main St. Steps, has been sold to Doug Spitz, who did the new construction on Boal (not the ones going up now by Breen Fisher but further up the st.)

Cincinnati kid, I think you might have misread the sentence about the Emery Theatre funds.  I believe the money was taken from the theatre rehab account and diverted to other purposes.  It is a confusing sentence.

Yes, it was taken from the Emery Theatre account because matching funds from other sources couldn't be found.  In other words, no rehab for now.  The money goes from that account into the TIF district project that came out of council recently.

Which makes it shitty in one respect, but still possibly helpful in another.  And maybe Emery can come up with some other sources for the funds.

I noticed a few days ago that 1600 Main St. (Main and Liberty) was wrapped in a tarp.  Does anyone have any idea what's going on there?

Buildings being lost:

* Beehive Investments & Development LLC is demolishing the 1860s structure at 47 Clifton Ave.  This was expected, as it's part of a redevelopment.

47clifton7ab.jpg

I believe that 1600 Main is one of the buildings owned by Vernon Raider (sp?)  My understanding is he is making market rate apartments.  While Im not a construction guru, my wild guess is that the tarp is for the repointing of the building to keep moisture in while the mortar cures.  Maybe as an alternative to having to keep it wet.  Of course I could be (and probably am way off.  :-D)

Slumlord of the day:

* Local slumlord Larry Rhodes is being made to conduct minor structural repairs to 146-148 Mulberry St. to comply with the VBML.  This is a run-down, vacant multi-family structure built around the end of the Civil War.   He also owns the run-down buildings at 961 E. McMillan St., 95 Mulberry St., and that hideous shack at 800 Wyoming Ave. in Lockland, as well as a vacant lot on Walker St.  He has apparently owned these for 20+ years and has made almost no improvements.  These properties all appear to be vacant.

He and his wife live in a million dollar home in Hyde Park, apparently.  Here's his address (I'll leave his wife's name off).  Please feel free to write to him like I did:

IRWIN LAWRENCE RHODES

3815 ERIE AVE 

CINCINNATI, OH 45208

Here are the properties at 146 and 148 Mulberry:

146mulberry4hl.jpg    148mulberry9xq.jpg

Buildings being lost:

* This vacant building at 1539 Pleasant St. is a gonner.

1539pleasant0ar.jpg

Good detective work. I think we should get the I-team on these rich homeowners who own these run down properties. In my part of the neighborhood I always wondered about those BMWs or Mercedes' parked in the run down areas of River Road and Queen City. Those people should be exposed.

Larry Rhodes is now under probation for these buildings.  There is both a criminal as well as a civil case against him.  The judge has given him till Dec 19th to "completely" finish these buildings.  Larry hired Hummel Restoration to do repairs on these buildings however Larry both failed to get a permit to begin work as well as bounced a check to Hummel.  A building on Sycamore and 95 Mulberry are other buildings Larry ownes that are in disrepair and which have criminal actions filed against him on.  The end of the year will mark the end of Larry Rhodes.

Keep up the good work grasscat, lets look at Brandon Blatt and City Cure next.

BLATT BRANDON

7900 ROLLINGKNOLLS DR

CINCINNATI, OH 45237 USA

For 219 Mulberry