The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)

Yeah I find it very hard to believe they could prove the parking is causing them to lose money already.  It's the winter and we've gotten more January snow then we've had in years.  I seriously doubt that many people are deciding to not go out to eat in OTR, where you aren't getting very cheap dinners, because they now have to pay $5 to park.  

1 minute ago, troeros said:

This probably has to do with there employees. These Restaurant workers who aren't making that much as is, simply cannot afford paying 7-8$ for a parking garage on a consistent basis. That's the reality of the situation.

Take the bus.  I am amazed by the number of restaurant workers I know who cough up big money to take uber to and from work instead of waiting for the bus that goes right by their house. 

18 minutes ago, jmecklenborg said:

Take the bus.  I am amazed by the number of restaurant workers I know who cough up big money to take uber to and from work instead of waiting for the bus that goes right by their house. 

It's easy to say, but alot of these folks (I went to highschool with quite a few people who work in restaurants in otr) either live in the suburbs (Montgomery, Mason, Maderia). They don't live near bus lines or have never rode the bus in there life. 

Still, those are exactly the type of people who should NOT be parking on the street because they leave their cars for so long without any turnover. 

I genuinely don't understand why someone from Mason would drive all the way to OTR to work as a server or bartender when there are many other restaurant jobs available that are closer to home and have free parking. Are they doing it because they make more money working at OTR restaurants compared to a restaurant in Oakley or Loveland?

I also don't understand how the owners of OTR restaurants and bars didn't anticipate this a long time ago. It has been incredibly obvious for at least 7-8 years that OTR is going to continue to grow and street parking will continue to get harder. Even without the residential parking program, there is more and more competition for spaces with all of the visitors coming to the neighborhood. Did Taft's previously tell their employees to hope and pray they would find free street parking, or did they make an effort to tell their employees to find alternative modes of transportation? Taft's building was developed by 3CDC. Did they attempt to make a deal with 3CDC for discounted parking passes in the Washington Park garage for their employees?

These are "big city" problems and Cincinnati will continue to have more problems like this as our urban core transitions from a sleepy 9-5 office park into 24/7 live/work/play neighborhood. People need to stop complaining and start finding solutions.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, taestell said:

I genuinely don't understand why someone from Mason would drive all the way to OTR to work as a server or bartender when there are many other restaurant jobs available that are close to home and have free parking. Are they doing it because they make more money working at OTR restaurants compared to a restaurant in Oakley or Loveland?

I also don't understand how the owners of OTR restaurants and bars didn't anticipate this a long time ago. It has been incredibly obvious for at least 7-8 years that OTR is going to continue to grow and street parking will continue to get harder. Even without the residential parking program, there is more and more competition for spaces with all of the visitors coming to the neighborhood. Did Taft's previously tell their employees to hope and pray they would find free street parking, or did they make an effort to tell their employees to find alternative modes of transportation? Taft's building was developed by 3CDC. Did they attempt to make a deal with 3CDC for discounted parking passes in the Washington Park garage for their employees?

These are "big city" problems and Cincinnati will continue to have more problems like this as our urban core transitions from a sleepy 9-5 office park into 24/7 live/work/play neighborhood. People need to stop complaining and start finding solutions.

If only there was some sort of pedestrian circulator that could transport these people from free parking north of Liberty Street to their restaurant workplaces...

• Like 4

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

1 hour ago, troeros said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/02/07/restaurant-owners-say-new-otr-parking-permits-hurt.html?iana=hpmvp_cinci_news_headline

Owners of Taft Ale House and Salazar's say new parking restrictions have hurt business. Taft even threatened to move if business continues to dip.

That said in the winter business is always slower. Nature of the best. It's been crazy weather with the snow, polar vortex, or constant rain...So I would probably wait to see year over year results to see if the parking restrictions have indeed made an impact. 

Oh, they're going to move out of their beautiful, expensively renovated church because their servers have to pay to park now? Ok, let's see it. People go to Tafts for the building and the location, certainly not for their mediocre food. Sounds like a hollow threat. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, edale said:

Oh, they're going to move out of their beautiful, expensively renovated church because their servers have to pay to park now? Ok, let's see it. People go to Tafts for the building and the location, certainly not for their mediocre food. Sounds like a hollow threat. 

@troerosmisquoted the ariticle, it was not Taft threatening to move. 

““The meters in that area do cost more than surrounding areas. We want to stay in the neighborhood. If it doesn’t come down, we won’t be able to because it has impacted our livelihood,” Salazar told the Cincinnati City Council on Wednesday night.”

www.cincinnatiideas.com

3 minutes ago, thebillshark said:

@troerosmisquoted the ariticle, it was not Taft threatening to move. 

““The meters in that area do cost more than surrounding areas. We want to stay in the neighborhood. If it doesn’t come down, we won’t be able to because it has impacted our livelihood,” Salazar told the Cincinnati City Council on Wednesday night.”

I don't buy that either though. Salazar does way better in OTR than they would in any other neighborhood. They can move, but business will suffer. It would be penny wise and pound foolish, imo. 

12 minutes ago, DEPACincy said:

I don't buy that either though. Salazar does way better in OTR than they would in any other neighborhood. They can move, but business will suffer. It would be penny wise and pound foolish, imo. 

Plus why would he agree to create his 2nd otr restaurant, announced just weeks ago...

1 hour ago, taestell said:

I genuinely don't understand why someone from Mason would drive all the way to OTR to work as a server or bartender when there are many other restaurant jobs available that are close to home and have free parking. Are they doing it because they make more money working at OTR restaurants compared to a restaurant in Oakley or Loveland?

People often have bizarre reasons for working where they do.  I used to work at a Kroger video store in Bellevue, TN [https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kroger/@36.0732118,-86.9201024,278m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x8864883fb2ae46df:0xa015b031fef26ba8!8m2!3d36.0735603!4d-86.9196485] and there was woman I worked with who drove from...Kentucky.  Yes, she drove over an hour each way to make $5.50/hr at a video store in a Kroger.  I seem to recall that she and her husband moved and she simply kept working at the same store, despite the huge drive.  This was in the 90s when gas cost 88 cents. 

21 hours ago, troeros said:

I honestly doubt it's about the business aspect. I think they know that it's slower in the winter regardless....

This probably has to do with there their employees. These Restaurant workers who aren't making that much as is, simply cannot afford paying 7-8$ for a parking garage on a consistent basis. That's the reality of the situation.

Somehow the wait staff at the 4th & Sycamore Skyline can afford the $2.75 an hour parking meters between 10:30 AM & 1:30 PM every weekday. 

• Like 1

"It's just fate, as usual, keeping its bargain and screwing us in the fine print..." - John Crichton

Is the Market Square Phase II development done already? It's been too long since I've gone over to check out that block of Elm Street.

18 hours ago, ColDayMan said:

Social OTR, Findlay Market's newest restaurant, is opening. Here's a look inside

Eats1_1217_SocialOTR_HB.5c19679fee844.jp

Findlay Market's newest restaurant aims to promote a shared experience among its diners but also has the dual goal of training up a new crop of cooks to fill the critical shortage in Cincinnati's restaurant industry.

Social OTR opens to the public on Feb. 7 at 1819 Elm St. in Over-the-Rhine, just up the street from the historic Findlay Market. Flip through the photos above for a look inside.

"Our small plates menu I call American tapas: it's a melting pot, just like the rest of the country," general manager Anthony Berin told me. "If you bring them together properly, it's clear, its concise, it's not confusing and it makes up a well-rounded menu."

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/02/07/social-otr-findlay-markets-newest-restaurant-is.html

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/02/08/otr-s-strietmann-center-adds-tenants-existing.html?iana=hpmvp_cinci_news_headline

Even more high paid office workers coming to OTR!

Parker Williams is opening there 2nd US Location, Everything But the House is moving there HQ, and Saatchi & Saatchi X is already expanding there office space! This is all in the Streitmann building btw.

Edited by troeros
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, troeros said:

OTR Community Housing starting a campaign to raise funds to expand there current center on 14th St as well as new adjacent infill building

Seen in this Facebook post.

https://www.facebook.com/272727967861/posts/10156470866537862/

^ and ^^:   "Their", not "there."  I don't mean to be the grammar police, but the repeated misuse is driving me crazy, lol.

Edited by jeremyck01
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, troeros said:

Surprised this wasn't posted by business courier, but it appears Google has leased a space in OTR

https://m.facebook.com/549930772/posts/10156151649255773?sfns=mo

Whaaat!? As in actual Google, not a warehouse for servers? Interesting. Could this be the strike on the matchbox that lights up Cincinnati's tech scene? Cincinnati's built environment is truly a haven for tech companies, small business, and start-up/new work offices. Those kind of employers and their employees LOVE old warehouse, factories, and open-space buildings. 

26 minutes ago, taestell said:

Still waiting on quite a few approvals...

approvals.png

It's so weird because the developers changed hands and fortus group took the lead they sounded very motivated to get this project started in a few months during late summer of 2018.

Now development for this project is crawling at a snail's pace...I'm trying to understand why? Is it because the demand for OTR housing has lessened? Does the liberty road diet play any factor? Are they having trouble financing the project?

Co-living developer opens OTR apartments

A Cincinnati group that brought the co-living concept to the Queen City is opening apartments in two buildings it rehabbed in Over-the-Rhine.

Kunst is now leasing at its Best & Lothes project at 205 W. McMicken Ave. in Over-the-Rhine. The project is named for the mineral water business that ran out of the buildings in the late 1800s.

Kunst is a group that renovates historic buildings to create apartments and living quarters that are a bit more communal. Its first project, at 2411 Gilbert Ave. in Walnut Hills, is a co-living space with private bedrooms, four bathrooms, two kitchens and a lot of common space.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/02/19/co-living-developer-opens-otr-apartments.html

2019-01-23-165900*1024xx1000-561-0-526.j

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

17 minutes ago, troeros said:

It's so weird because the developers changed hands and fortus group took the lead they sounded very motivated to get this project started in a few months during late summer of 2018.

Now development for this project is crawling at a snail's pace...I'm trying to understand why? Is it because the demand for OTR housing has lessened? Does the liberty road diet play any factor? Are they having trouble financing the project?

I don't think the delay is unique to this development. For every development that is announced, expect it to take 2-3x as long as the developers say it will take.

They are ticketing today for the OTR parking permit. At least 50% of the cars parked on Republic Street got a $50 ticket in the last hour. 

Edited by Jimmy Skinner

I've noticed that many spots in permit parking zones are empty during the day. I'm surprised at how many people who live in OTR seemingly drive to a 9 to 5 elsewhere in town. In hindsight, most people I know do that so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the sight of empty streets around lunchtime is interesting nonetheless. 

I personally never found it all that hard to park in OTR - neither when I lived there, nor when visiting over the last few years. I've since moved up to CUF, where it's far more difficult to find street parking, but still nowhere as difficult as it was when I lived in Queens. The difficulty of street parking in urban areas is all relative. I think a lot of the complaints that led to the permit system came from folks who haven't ever had to treat on-street parking as a communal resource. If your lifestyle is dependent upon the daily requirement to have a nearly-free parking spot within 2 minutes of your front door, it probably isn't suitable for an urban environment.

23 minutes ago, Ram23 said:

I've noticed that many spots in permit parking zones are empty during the day. I'm surprised at how many people who live in OTR seemingly drive to a 9 to 5 elsewhere in town. In hindsight, most people I know do that so I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, but the sight of empty streets around lunchtime is interesting nonetheless. 

I personally never found it all that hard to park in OTR - neither when I lived there, nor when visiting over the last few years. I've since moved up to CUF, where it's far more difficult to find street parking, but still nowhere as difficult as it was when I lived in Queens. The difficulty of street parking in urban areas is all relative. I think a lot of the complaints that led to the permit system came from folks who haven't ever had to treat on-street parking as a communal resource. If your lifestyle is dependent upon the daily requirement to have a nearly-free parking spot within 2 minutes of your front door, it probably isn't suitable for an urban environment.

One option would be to have 24/7 meters on certain streets, but parking on those streets is free if you have a residential pass

• Like 3

It seems like more cars are now parking at night on the W. Clifton hill between Vine St. and the apartment complex at the W. Clifton curve.  I don't know if those are more people jamming into Clifton Heights or people from OTR parking their cars on the permit-free hill.  I'd expect that OTR people are parking on Mulberry also, although E. Clifton is finally cleaning up so we might see some more adventurous parkers go there. 

The parking situation in CUF relaxes when UC is out of session.  But it is getting worse, bit-by-bit.  Several dozen houses were vacant during the recession but now students are packed back into family rooms-turned-bedrooms and there are even people sleeping in closets and hallways.  Some of these people have cars, so a single 4-bedroom house might now generate 7 or more cars if you've got a dude in the hallway and few couples shacking up in a former family room turned bedroom. 

The residential parking permits when I lived in Cambridge, MA almost 20 years ago were hardcore.  There was only one parking permit per unit, no matter the number of bedrooms.  Each unit also got one visitor pass, but the visitor pass cars had to move every single day or they were ticketed.  In addition, there was street cleaning every week, which took out 50-100 spots per zone one morning each week.  If your car was there at 7am, they towed.  Period.  The street cleaning machine showed up with like 8 tow trucks and they got to work at the crack of dawn.  It made car ownership such a hassle that I got rid of mine after 2-3 months and a handful of $75 tickets. 

2 hours ago, thomasbw said:

One option would be to have 24/7 meters on certain streets, but parking on those streets is free if you have a residential pass

Rather than putting meters back in, just allow paid parkers to park there during daytime hours (8 am to 8 pm, let's say) as long as they pay via the parking app. Permit holders would be able to park there for "free" of course because they already paid for the permit. And overnight the spaces would be reserved for permit holders only. That is essentially what Columbus just implemented for streets around the Short North.

Not to get too off topic, but at the last CUF council meeting there was a discussion of the need for residential parking permits, especially with The District coming online soon.

51 minutes ago, oudd said:

Not to get too off topic, but at the last CUF council meeting there was a discussion of the need for residential parking permits, especially with The District coming online soon.

Didn't the CUF council used to meet at Deaconess?  Where are their meetings now?

14 hours ago, jmecklenborg said:

The residential parking permits when I lived in Cambridge, MA almost 20 years ago were hardcore.  There was only one parking permit per unit, no matter the number of bedrooms.  Each unit also got one visitor pass, but the visitor pass cars had to move every single day or they were ticketed.  In addition, there was street cleaning every week, which took out 50-100 spots per zone one morning each week.  If your car was there at 7am, they towed.  Period.  The street cleaning machine showed up with like 8 tow trucks and they got to work at the crack of dawn.  It made car ownership such a hassle that I got rid of mine after 2-3 months and a handful of $75 tickets. 

I think the whole area around UC (CUF, Corryville, and parts of Clifton proper) needs to implement a parking permit system that provides a mixture of residential permits and hourly metered parking, with some streets considered "flex" which can accommodate both residential permits and hourly parking. The funds raised could be used to better maintain/clean the streets. It's absurd that the east side of Jefferson has free, un-metered, un-permitted parking. 

On 11/20/2018 at 11:04 AM, taestell said:

More progress on the Woodward Theater marquee.

Not sure if I've mentioned it on UrbanOhio, but the owners also want to install a new sign that's a replica of the original Woodward sign (see attached historic photo).

The historic sign above the marquee is being reinstalled now. The sign and marquee will be illuminated starting Friday and they're hosting "The Big Turn On Festival" after the Bockfest parade to celebrate.

P1013889.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1