The_Cincinnati_Kid

Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)

HUH?

Appropriate response...

Giant surface lots are horrible for cities. I can't imagine why anyone would defend the existence of these two huge lots as if people would somehow suffer to find parking elsewhere if they were redeveloped.

Won’t the Kroger tower include parking above? I’m sure that will be convenient for court house employees....

I’m just curious how many parking garages do we need to build more in order to serve those employees?

Won’t the Kroger tower include parking above? I’m sure that will be convenient for court house employees....

I’m just curious how many parking garages do we need to build more in order to serve those employees?

You're correct.

I've noticed that the huge massive Pendelton lots now have banners advertising as parking for the Pendelton Resturaunt District. I'm guessing it makes sense considering there is now a brewery, and a few resturaunts already there. The pendelton area seems to be becoming quite active nowadays.

I just wish we had an inside track of who the owner of those pendelotn lots are? Is it one single person? Have they been getting offers on those lots? The amount of land, could lead to a huge massive mixed use development. I just wish we knew why they are still sitting as parking, especially when there are so many parking options right now in OTR already...

Several parking lots in OTR and Pendleton that used to be "monthly permit parking only" have recently installed kiosks and are allowing hourly parking in the evening hours. Another one like this is the Peaslee Neighborhood Center's parking lot on 14th. They all put up very similar signage, so it makes me wonder if they're being operated by the same company, even though the owners are different for each lot.

Would it be safe to say this is a matter of supply versus demand? Sure, the OTR/Pendleton area is booming, but the reality is that there are probably over 50-100 vacant lots, if not more.

I am the under the impression that the sycamore lots will only become developed when all of Pedelton and OTR are built out.

If a developer wants to come in and build a huge new development, as in hundreds of apartments, there are only a few places to do that. Liberty & Elm is one. The Sycamore lots are another. Most of the vacant lots in OTR/Pendleton are much smaller and only big enough for a single-family home or 4-6 unit condo building.

Would it be safe to say this is a matter of supply versus demand? Sure, the OTR/Pendleton area is booming, but the reality is that there are probably over 50-100 vacant lots, if not more.

I am the under the impression that the sycamore lots will only become developed when all of Pedelton and OTR are built out.

To a certain extent yes. But like I said, there's all kinds of hidden taxes and fees that come along with development. Parking requirements are one. Usually you have to build structured parking in an urban setting to make it fit and structured parking costs $25,000 per space on average. I don't know what the parking requirement is in Pendleton but if it's the normal 2 per unit, that's a $50,000 cost per unit. A developer building a 200 unit apartment complex would be on the hook for an additional $10 million cost that might not be necessary. That's a huge impediment to development. On the other hand it's damn near free to run a surface lot because we all bear the costs, not the owner.

Seriously, everyone should read The High Cost of Free Parking. It'll change the way you look at the world.

The brick facade of 165 E McMicken is being completely rebuilt. Glad to see this kind of intensive  (expensive) work getting done. Sorry for the grainy photo (the sun was setting behind the building so the facade was in the shadow):

n4LfSIq3wQXE2HfRio0XgUaHcJObD007rFX4w5RDZ9T4_5Z-9lvqFBAxrPcUqPibocE0i0ylzBjw-uzH6M-BWD3FgWoO6SDkJMec9_e0sFVlK1U_-bcvQcYFRhtPrCRfKtw4QoUCJb39urD4ytLogRAzaTFv0I2-PMt_QUuHMZ0-2D4IGPTk6lWAmmPvsDaYFpigS5_7Yd97ULBjAeJIRMXPHu0PJJoMXGXxamj2Hw3nrBHrnUlXJVl68QzfSeW92zKdnCP61z_qv7WmOzwOPO5pAs0etECxkeCb9Nrk_1vsVsjdzgi2jaxn6rdpfNFfw4xYln5ZLjYgD7kUoMNxtGk1VgFXdwgs1X4ffyFPFsoqPKTIFUqhe81L150Erjrkspp_HiXrkwxh7rIary-_hCE5KWStcfa6fmfpdOTfkDA04Rs8HFW2edotUAYfgI4iGnCwKKH-yBnTQ9421cqPUR18xihFjWiwuwj1-DaZDt6B7DsRjTDFPkRIUeqTz0jCGEG7-ngamHIEjWlg2Sd7jYnpZkC5iEDVBpQkkXPN0C_S-VEq6gXcVAI5HqXAfeEK_9ytLPPKB7MraB_L7gQn95-9dy3mI7v4Tp_MesXX=w689-h918-no

^ I noticed that this past weekend - did part of the facade fall off or was it voluntarily rebuilt? The way the cornice was precariously floating there looks like part of the facade may have collapsed.

^Not sure. I hadn't noticed any work being done previously, so it did seem rather abrupt to see the whole facade get rebuilt. 

^ I noticed that this past weekend - did part of the facade fall off or was it voluntarily rebuilt? The way the cornice was precariously floating there looks like part of the facade may have collapsed.

It did not collapse but had significant water damage. I walked the buildings 3-4 years ago and there was significant damage even then.

Huge OTR retail news. Bonobos, a major NYC HQ retail clothing brand will be located in otr. It’s a very popular clothing brand , and surprised that OTR was able to land a location.

That's surprising... I wonder where they are opening and if more national retail brands will follow. Anthropology opened on Short North in Columbus so why not

That's surprising... I wonder where they are opening and if more national retail brands will follow. Anthropology opened on Short North in Columbus so why not

It will be on Vine St, right next to the Sacred Beast...so I’m guessing 3cdc was responsible for this. Surprising since it’s semi large a national chain, with 48 locations in the US.

I wonder if 3cdc might be beginning to diversify local and national now for their retail?

I still think there is no reason why otr can’t have other chains like Starbucks and H&M/Victoria Secret...

3CDC should only allow national retailers if they don't undercut local competition by offering lower quality, readymade, meretricious goods. The swill that is Starbucks coffee would be the example par excellence of that.

Read a little about Bonobos. An interesting story. Odd.

But, I think they have located poorly for their "guide shop" store model.

Curious, why do you think they located poorly?

Read a little about Bonobos. An interesting story. Odd.

But, I think they have located poorly for their "guide shop" store model.

Curious, why do you think they located poorly?

The demographic is apparent from their online store. Its about $100 button down cotton shirts, $70 polos, $1000 suits. Sort of a hip alternative to Brooks Bros.

I see that as urban junior executive types. Not at all what lives or visits upper vine in OTR.

In a year or so there will literally be hundreds of that type of person working within a couple of blocks of this store. I think it'll do just fine in this location.

In a year or so there will literally be hundreds of that type of person working within a couple of blocks of this store. I think it'll do just fine in this location.

I take it you have not been in the workplace recently.

Um...I'm a 29 year old professional. I assure you I have.

Several of my coworkers are regular shoppers at Bonobos here in NYC. Our office dresses pretty much like any other young professional office does. I guarantee this does well in that location.

Yea? So do you think some guys from NYC will be stopping by OTR as the hundreds you claim will be doing so?

Because I have been in most every public and private business of significance here in Cincinnati and I don't think you will find that inventory on many office workers here.

My office here dresses almost identically to my office in Cincinnati. As do the several OTR firms I interviewed with before deciding to go a different direction and leave Cincinnati. Modern young professional attire (which is what Bonobos is) is incredibly common. You don't exactly need to capture a high percentage of workers in the area to do well.

This is a brand owned by one of the largest corporations on earth. Do you actually believe you somehow know more than they do with their array of market analysts? What a ridiculous claim that you have somehow been in every office of significance. Give me a break.

Why are we all thinking this is office worker dress here , these looks we on LOTS of people in the photos I've seen from all the downtown concerts lately. So much so that when i searched out the Bonobos website after seeing the first post i had an ah ha moment that explained what i was seeing on people at Bunbury & The Nationals concerts. My casual wardrobe of solid T's and shorts was well well under the floral print and pattern dress shirt norm that i was seeing. At this rate we are nearing JAMS Shirt levels of color again.

The type of stuff sold at Bonobos is very popular and the store will do well. It reminds me of a lot of the stuff I see when I go into H&M which now has multiple locations around Greater Cincinnati.

This is the second national chain to open in OTR, hopefully they fare better than the first, Kit & Ace. Starbucks would definitely be a mood killer, although I could see a Starbucks Reserve, or Blue Bottle fitting in quite well. I always thought the area up by Findlay market would be a good market for national retail, i.e. Anthro, Madewell, Shinola, etc.

Shinola and Warby Parker are two brands that I think would be excellent fits in OTR. Anthropologie, too, but their stores are usually huge, so I don't know where they could fit given the small size of most OTR commercial spaces. Apple would also be pretty cool.

This is the second national chain to open in OTR, hopefully they fare better than the first, Kit & Ace. Starbucks would definitely be a mood killer, although I could see a Starbucks Reserve, or Blue Bottle fitting in quite well. I always thought the area up by Findlay market would be a good market for national retail, i.e. Anthro, Madewell, Shinola, etc.

It looks like Kit & Ace closed all their American stores.

Shinola and Warby Parker are two brands that I think would be excellent fits in OTR. Anthropologie, too, but their stores are usually huge, so I don't know where they could fit given the small size of most OTR commercial spaces. Apple would also be pretty cool.

Warby Parker will open at 1419 Vine St. later this year.

I mean it’s great though that these NYC HQ chains see value in OTR. Like it or not I truly do think that otr needs a Starbucks, Apple Store, HM for its long term success.

It’s recognizeable brands and cincy needs a premier retail shopping street in its urban core.

It looks like Kit & Ace closed all their American stores.

They did, but not before relocating from OTR to Kenwood

Where are you seeing this? Would love to be in the retail know. Anything else coming?

They did, but not before relocating from OTR to Kenwood

No, they had two stores open at the same time. OTR might have closed first, but they definitely had a store in OTR and Kenwood concurrently. A friend of mine worked there for a bit when they first opened, and he’d split work between the locations.

Where are you seeing this? Would love to be in the retail know. Anything else coming?

Apparently there is a coming soon sign on the door.

When I drove by yesterday I saw there was a coming soon sign on the south east corner of 12th and Race.  That corner really needs some life so it will be great if something moves in there and on the north east corner. 

Hope this is a sign of momentum building for non-bar/restaurant retail. Would be nice to see some more amenities for neighborhood residents, but if destination retail can be successful that would be huge.

I'm a millennial working in an office in downtown Cincinnati. My peers and I wear plenty of Bonobos. It will do well. The guideshop model is perfect for walkable bar/restaurant areas because you go in, try on the clothes, and everything gets shipped. So you don't end up walking out with a bunch of bags. Since they don't have to keep every style/color in every size (just samples of each cut) the footprint is usually pretty small. The no-brainer location would be somewhere on Vine between 12th and 14th, but it is great that there will be more to draw foot traffic north.

It's sad that Frameri, a local startup, failed and their competition, Warby Parker, will be taking their flagship store space.

I didn't hear about this place until it closed, despite walking or biking past it dozens of times. 

These stores need illuminated signs.  They need to look like they're open.  It needs to be obvious what they sell there. 

Is Source 3 still scheduled to start the Elm and Liberty project this summer as it was previously alluded to in the biz journal article from a few months ago? I believe they have the financing in place and should be ready to go?

With Warby Parker and Bonobos coming to Vine Street, we have the beginnings of the Podcast Sponsor District. Next up, a SquareSpace demo lab.

Would be nice to see some more amenities for neighborhood residents...

Well the old Servatii's location at Court and Walnut is becoming a Great Clips.  *facepalm*

Are there even any dry cleaners in otr let alone the cbd? In the suburbs they are everywhere...kind of speaks volumes about the lack of amenities aspect that urban core residents face

There used to be one on Vine Street, maybe where the Queen City Underground tours are now located? They did not actually do the dry cleaning in that location, but you could drop off items on Vine Street, they would take them to another location to actually dry clean them, and then bring them back to their storefront for you to pick up.