Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)

It's fine to walk around north of liberty during the day, at night is when you don't want to be there.  I doubt they are doing any of their tours at night.  But I'm sure they will help/continue to help lead the charge in making north of Liberty a safer place.  

I'm just trying to comprehend the mentality and state of thinking of these criminals.

Forensic science, in addition to shot spotter and increased security cameras has made it MUCH more feasible to track these criminals down. The funny part is that alot of these criminals will have a beef with someone, shoot them on vine, and walk back to their apartment in OTR, and act as if nothing happened and then be shocked when they get arrested in 3 days time. I'm just genuinely curious how they can have this mentality of, "Oh I don't like this dude, let me murder him with my pistol, go home and call it a day!" This is mind boggling to me that these people feel like they can get away with shooting someone and not be caught in this day and age!

You would think that the normal train of thought would be, "I don't like this guy, but that's okay! Screw him. I'll go about my day, and not go to prison for 25 years because I actually enjoy my life and enjoy my day to day freedom!"

It's so backwards, and makes me want to understand more what goes behind the brain of a criminal who thinks that they are untouchable when it comes to getting caught? 

Was recently in Cincinnati visiting a friend and was in OTR at night for the first time in awhile. One thing immediately tingled my constantly critiquing urban eye. 

LIGHTING!

Downtown/OTR/Pendelton/West End really need updated LED lighting. This includes ally's, which many have little, if any lighting. It's amazing what updated and more equitably illuminated spaces do for the urban environment. They decrease crime and make pedestrians feel safer. They're also a fairly cost effective upgrade. 

8 hours ago, Lucas_uLsac said:

Was recently in Cincinnati visiting a friend and was in OTR at night for the first time in awhile. One thing immediately tingled my constantly critiquing urban eye. 

LIGHTING!

Downtown/OTR/Pendelton/West End really need updated LED lighting. This includes ally's, which many have little, if any lighting. It's amazing what updated and more equitably illuminated spaces do for the urban environment. They decrease crime and make pedestrians feel safer. They're also a fairly cost effective upgrade. 

Yeah the lighting is really bad, especially on race and walnut. Does not create a safe atmosphere at all.

Cincinnati.com: Shootings prompt police sweep of OTR and West End

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/crime/crime-and-courts/2019/04/08/rise-shootings-prompts-police-sweep-over-rhine-and-west-end/3403372002/

Interesting note in the article is that it says lack of territory has caused the shootings to become pushed to north of liberty and that the closing of the vine Street park late last year has caused the park at McMicken to essentially become the new hub for criminal and drug activity.

I think someone here predicted just that and goes to prove that you cant have these massive undeveloped parks and green space in urban locations without it becoming a centralized hub for criminals to use it as a major hub and gathering spot to do crime.

I say we chain fence  that park as well and make sure that there is no available open parks/large green spaces in undeveloped parts of otr and only allow Ziegler and Washington Park to be the main community parks for now for both north and south of liberty.

7 minutes ago, Traveler Joe said:

Umm,  you know sound kind of crazy right?  I mean honestly this latest "wave" of shootings is nothing.  I mean lets think back to the days of triple murders south of liberty for some perspective on where we have come from.

I'm not arguing that. But you realize this article has spread all over social media as well.

News like this hurts otr as a whole. From the resturaunts to tourism from out of towners. Sure, crime is isolated but articles like this one paints picture as if all of otr is dangerous and crime infested and to me it's concerning because I still feel while otr perception from the general public has drastically changed it is still at a fickle point where a few more news articles like this one can push a massive dent and reverse the course for the public at large.

Edited by troeros

Troy I think what you are proposing is basically saying shutdown OTR where there is crime and turn it into a militarized area. That's impossible.

OTR even 5 or 6 years ago was much more dangerous let alone longer ago than that, it isn't even close. And these areas where there are shootings are not in areas that are frequented really for restaurants, etc. These are areas that some people live but a lot of the area is vacant too. It is most definitely troubling as it is anywhere in this city or country where there is shootings and violent crime and it really is tragic. But the fact is that you can't turn something around in 10 years which took 60 years to get to where it was, we aren't San Francisco or Seattle, etc.

You can make an argument that the city or 3CDC should focus all their efforts in these areas in regards to redevelopment in these areas but that just isn't feasible. I think something that would actually help if you want to push more private development North of Liberty is you finish the Liberty Street Diet as it should spur more development North of Libery and you push for redevelopment of Findlay Playground or parking ramps in the Findlay Market ramps to help spur more development North of Libery by Findlay that then can jog over to Vine Street then down again.

I think the policy 3CDC is taking in connecting Court Street and downtown to OTR is a good one as there are areas in between where people in the past at least have been mugged and robbed and which they need to clean up. They can only do so much at one time. Sure it's bad press but it honestly isn't a whole lot worse than what it was on a year to year basis and honestly it's much better than 5 years ago.

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Cincinnati.com: Shootings prompt police sweep of OTR and West End

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/crime/crime-and-courts/2019/04/08/rise-shootings-prompts-police-sweep-over-rhine-and-west-end/3403372002/

Interesting note in the article is that it says lack of territory has caused the shootings to become pushed to north of liberty and that the closing of the vine Street park late last year has caused the park at McMicken to essentially become the new hub for criminal and drug activity.

I think someone here predicted just that and goes to prove that you cant have these massive undeveloped parks and green space in urban locations without it becoming a centralized hub for criminals to use it as a major hub and gathering spot to do crime.

I say we chain fence  that park as well and make sure that there is no available open parks/large green spaces in undeveloped parts of otr and only allow Ziegler and Washington Park to be the main community parks for now for both north and south of liberty.

I live on E Clifton Ave, and take my two kids (age 2 years and 3 months) to Grant Park on McMicken most evenings. The fact that you talk about "vine Street Park"  (I assume you're referring to Findlay Playground) and "the park at McMicken" (I'm assuming you're talking about Grant Park) reveals that you don't spend much time in the area. If you want to check the area out, I sincerely invite you. I'll meet you at Grant Park and introduce to some of the very nice people in the area. 

Yes, there are problems in the area with crime. Yes there are often people hanging out on the sidewalks, but the vast majority are doing no harm. Some of them no doubt are involved with dealing drugs, and yes, sometimes there is violence. I'm not excusing it or saying I'm satisfied with how things are, but your tone implies that it's impossible to live safely in the neighborhood, and that has not been my experience. By and large, I feel safe and I love the neighborhood, including the "rougher" parts north of Liberty. That is just my own perspective and I won't "argue" with somebody if they feel otherwise. Each is entitled to their perspective, I just would invite you (or others) to spend some time in the neighborhood before recommending "chain fence that park". 

I do want the City to continue to put pressure property owner of vacant buildings to sell or rehabilitate their properties, because by far the biggest problems are around vacant buildings where the owners do nothing to prevent illegal activity. 

• Like 2

I mean in the article there is literally a map that shows where these shootings occurred.  If someone sees the headline and assumes all of OTR isn't safe then that's their own dumb problem.  That person likely has never and will never come to OTR anyways.  

CPD is bringing in the FBI to help them fight this "crime wave"?

This couldn't possibly be related to the fact that City Council is currently talking about taking funding away from CPD's new District 5 HQ and using that money for Columbia Parkway, right?

7 hours ago, Cincy513 said:

I mean in the article there is literally a map that shows where these shootings occurred.  If someone sees the headline and assumes all of OTR isn't safe then that's their own dumb problem.  That person likely has never and will never come to OTR anyways.  

I agree with that statement.

My argument is that for OTR to remain a, "hot real estate market" you need to provide a perception of safety. There are some homes reaching almost a million dollars on zillow, there are also quite a few homes hovering above 500-600k dollars in OTR that have been sitting on the market for maybe a year now, and constantly see price reductions without ever being sold.

If I was from a different city, and wanted to potentially relocate to cincinnati and shop for which neighborhood I wanted to live in I would google the name of the neighborhood. Right now, if you google "Over the Rhine" you will get 10 articles at the very top of the page stating that OTR is a, designated, "High Violent Crime Area" by the FBI and Cincinnati Police Department.

That would scare the hell out of me, and I would automatically search for the next neighborhood and skip OTR all together. This hurts the reputation of OTR plain and simple. This hurts the real estate market in OTR. This hurts development in OTR. And this ultimately trickles down to the restaurants, bars and shops in OTR over time. 

Edited by troeros

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. Stop and think about how much crime has fallen in OTR over the past decade. Stop and think about how much the general public's perception of the neighborhood has increased over that same time period. People who come to this neighborhood regularly understand that the neighborhood is getting safer every year. They understand that there are occasional surges in crime, usually in parts of the neighborhood that they don't even go to, and that will decrease over time as there is more development in the neighborhood, more "eyes on the street" from people walking to and from businesses, etc. On the other hand, people who listen to WLW and watch TV news and gloat about OTR being declared a "high crime neighborhood" ... are the type of people who would never come to this neighborhood anyway. So I wouldn't worry about these few events "tarnishing" the reputation of the neighborhood, or OTR "backsliding" into what it used to be.

• Like 3

Putting this in the press obviously isn't great for OTR pr but I think it's worth it.  This is getting the neighborhood on their side whereas random mass arrests would not.  This is also telling these criminals that cops are coming for you and here is where they're going to be.  Obviously all won't listen but some will.  The ones who listen will move out of OTR and West End.  The dumbest ones will end up getting arrested around these areas.  In the end in will lead to a safer and better OTR and West End.  

I also don't think this bad press will do anything to the already nice parts of southern OTR.  That area south of 15th is well past the point where bad press can hurt it.  The area just south of Liberty and north of Liberty obviously still needs a lot of work but we're on our way.  Just think of what OTR looked like 5-10 years ago and how much it's changed.  It will change that much or more in the next 5-10 years.  

Roadtrippers team is adding a resturaunt/bar at their HQ at 131 E McMicken Ave. From what I understand it will be a Beer Garden plus resturaunt. 

Should be interesting how this does as it will be the first eating/drinking establishment not near Findley market in North of Liberty. 

It will also be interesting to see if the increased night activity will decrease the current shootings that have been zoned on that particular street. 

4 minutes ago, ucgrady said:

Skeleton Root on McMicken has somewhat had that affect, all it takes is a few "can I speak to your manager" type suburban moms to witness elicit activities and the cops are firmly put on notice...

I love your description.  I know the type.

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Roadtrippers team is adding a resturaunt/bar at their HQ at 131 E McMicken Ave. From what I understand it will be a Beer Garden plus resturaunt. 

Should be interesting how this does as it will be the first eating/drinking establishment not near Findley market in North of Liberty. 

It will also be interesting to see if the increased night activity will decrease the current shootings that have been zoned on that particular street. 

No restaurant. It will be in the outdoor space plus the small 1 story garage. Low key is the vibe they are going for, no live music for example.

Moerlein Malthouse is already north of Liberty.

No, occupied development will decrease the problems. NorthCrown will be developing 5 vacant buildings in the blocks over the next 2 years (1614 Walnut, 1618 Walnut, 112 Corwine, 64 E McMicken, 100 E McMicken) plus an infill project on top of 1630 Walnut, there is a new infill project is coming to 118 E McMicken, and my 3 buildings (108-114 E McMicken) that will start renovation this year. That doesn't include the renovations at 161 E McMicken and 1607 Main/165-169 E McMicken that are ongoing plus 154 and 158 E McMicken that just gone done.

Edited by mcmicken
  • Like 3

On 4/9/2019 at 8:54 PM, taestell said:

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. Stop and think about how much crime has fallen in OTR over the past decade. Stop and think about how much the general public's perception of the neighborhood has increased over that same time period. People who come to this neighborhood regularly understand that the neighborhood is getting safer every year. They understand that there are occasional surges in crime, usually in parts of the neighborhood that they don't even go to, and that will decrease over time as there is more development in the neighborhood, more "eyes on the street" from people walking to and from businesses, etc. On the other hand, people who listen to WLW and watch TV news and gloat about OTR being declared a "high crime neighborhood" ... are the type of people who would never come to this neighborhood anyway. So I wouldn't worry about these few events "tarnishing" the reputation of the neighborhood, or OTR "backsliding" into what it used to be.

This. Plus the current wave of bad press is nothing compared to what we used to have to deal with.

OTR Community Council elections for the Board of Trustees will be happening in the next few months. If you're a resident of OTR and you're passionate about our neighborhood, I would encourage you to a) consider running for the Board, and b) definitely make sure your membership is active so that you can vote in June. A few key dates:

• April 30 is deadline to nominate yourself for the board (details below)
  • May 20th meeting is the deadline to make sure your membership is valid to vote. This is also the date of when candidates will have time to speak (briefly) to present themselves.
  • June 24th meeting is when voting will occur.

More info:

Dear Community Member,

This is a friendly reminder that the Over-the-Rhine Community Council election takes place at our monthly meeting on Monday, June 24th.  Voting will open at 6:00pm and close at 7:30pm. 

On that day we elect 13 trustees.  If you are interested in running as a candidate for a trustee you must be a paid up member in good standing and fill out this form.

You can hand in the form to the Nominating Committee at our council meeting on April 22nd or send it by email [email protected] or call Bonnie, 513-295-3881, to arrange to drop it off.  The deadline for applicants is April 30, 2019. 

To vote in this election you must purchase your membership by Monday May 20th (our monthly meeting in May is on the 3rd Monday due to Memorial Day being on the 4th Monday).

On Monday May 20th,  all candidates will have the opportunity to address the membership briefly at our monthly meeting. 

From the Nominating Committee
Bonnie Neumeier, Chair
June Alexander
Michael Flood  

• Like 1

I remember when Hen of the Woods announced plans for a restaurant at 1434 Main St... back around 2014. Here's some more to the story about how they made the shift to focus on just potato chips: https://www.cincinnati.com/story/entertainment/dining/2019/04/17/hen-woods-potato-chips-grew-marckwalds-restaurant-project/3413727002/

The article doesn't clarify what happened to the building/space on Main. Did they just make it their personal residence? An LLC bought the property in 2018, but not sure if any changes to the building have happened. That interior courtyard and roll-up garage door would make for a great restaurant patio. 

^ I can't share the specifics, but someone with a history of working on restoring historic buildings has purchased the old Hen Of The Woods building and has a concept in mind for the space. If things go according to plan, that patio area will be open to the public in a couple of years...

• Like 2

I've had hen of the wood chips before. Average at best and expensive. I don't really see them sticking around that long tbh. Seems like they went the easy way out and thought that the chip business would be less effort and more profitable. 

24 minutes ago, thebillshark said:

I think Hen of the Wood chips are really good. Kudos to them for starting something new. 

Uhh... that’s kind of the main goal of a successful business

Yeah but their dream was to operate a restaurant. Life is somewhat pointless if you just follow the trail that makes you money instead of what genuinely makes you feel inspired and happy. Doesn't seem to me that they really wanted to solely be a chips company, but it's making them money so they gave up on their real dream.

12 minutes ago, troeros said:

Yeah but their dream was to operate a restaurant. Life is somewhat pointless if you just follow the trail that makes you money instead of what genuinely makes you feel inspired and happy. Doesn't seem to me that they really wanted to solely be a chips company, but it's making them money so they gave up on their real dream.

I’m sure they’ll be OK

• Like 1

www.cincinnatiideas.com

They are happy making potato chips. They started it as a way to fund their restaurant project but their chips became popular and they stuck with that. I've seen plenty of passion project restaurants start and fail (LOOKING AT YOU FORK ❤️KNIFE) because the restauranteur was passionate about food but was burned out by the crowds and the demand. 

If chips work for them then great. They will find their own happiness. 

• Like 1

“All truly great thoughts are conceived while walking.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche

54 minutes ago, troeros said:

Making money makes a lot of people happy. Regardless, there are a million reasons why a restaurant project doesn't get off the ground, it seems ignorant to just say they gave up on their dream.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, troeros said:

Im sure they will be. But will they be geuninely happy? Memento mori, remember you will die. Memento Vivrie, remember to live. 

make the money... then do what you want after, aka open the restaurant after you have a steady stream of money coming in from the chips and can afford for the restaurant to fail.  

I spoke to a bar owner who owns several successful bars and he was telling me about a new concept. He said i have money now so i do do things that are fun to me and if it fails it doesn't matter. 

1 hour ago, JYP said:

They are happy making potato chips. They started it as a way to fund their restaurant project but their chips became popular and they stuck with that. I've seen plenty of passion project restaurants start and fail (LOOKING AT YOU FORK ❤️KNIFE) because the restauranteur was passionate about food but was burned out by the crowds and the demand. 

If chips work for them then great. They will find their own happiness. 

I just want to say thanks for the fork heart knife throw back!  Such an interesting microcosm of the neighborhood, played out in an incredibly short time frame.  Makes me want to hop even further into the way back machine and grabbing a beer at Coopers.

• Thanks 1

High-end condos coming above Findlay Market

bruggemanbuildingext*750xx1800-1013-0-94

A developer plans to build up to five luxury condos above a bakery at Findlay Market, one of the first projects that will come online as a result of the city unloading upper-floor shells it owns above retail space at the historic venue.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/04/18/high-end-condos-coming-above-findlay-market-photos.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

On 4/17/2019 at 10:56 AM, troeros said:

What a dumb thing to say.   You don't know what makes them happy and what doesn't.  You have no idea if they wanted to be solely a chips company or not. Plans change.  Don't make assumptions based on ignorance.

Edited by jeremyck01

On 4/17/2019 at 1:56 PM, troeros said:

Life is somewhat pointless if you just follow the trail that makes you money instead of what genuinely makes you feel inspired and happy. 

Not to argue for the sake of arguing, but this is exactly what I'm doing and it's going OK.

If I was doing my dream job I'd be a city planner, but there's not as much flexibility in public policy fields as there is in engineering.

Sometimes it's worth understanding that people work to live, not the other way around.

It's part of the reason why there's been not enough younger people going into skilled trades in recent years... nobody wants to be a plumber, but people need plumbers every day so if you know how to do it it's possible to make an excellent living with a relatively low barrier to entry.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SWOH said:

Not to argue for the sake of arguing, but this is exactly what I'm doing and it's going OK.

If I was doing my dream job I'd be a city planner, but there's not as much flexibility in public policy fields as there is in engineering.

Sometimes it's worth understanding that people work to live, not the other way around.

It's part of the reason why there's been not enough younger people going into skilled trades in recent years... nobody wants to be a plumber, but people need plumbers every day so if you know how to do it it's possible to make an excellent living with a relatively low barrier to entry.

Like the song Bittersweet Symphony goes, "Your a slave to the money, then you die."

I understand life is more complex about doing what you love versus providing food on the table. That said, if you never chase your dreams and just settle for the status quo you will lay on your death bed asking, "What if?"...and to me that's the worse kind of life to live. A life where you settled because it was the "safe" thing to do. 

Sure you live, make money and you die. But did you ever actually LIVE?

10 minutes ago, troeros said:

Like the song Bittersweet Symphony goes, "Your a slave to the money, then you die."

I understand life is more complex about doing what you love versus providing food on the table. That said, if you never chase your dreams and just settle for the status quo you will lay on your death bed asking, "What if?"...and to me that's the worse kind of life to live. A life where you settled because it was the "safe" thing to do. 

Sure you live, make money and you die. But did you ever actually LIVE?

This is getting pretty off-topic, but have you ever considered that maybe some people to work in order to do a passion that is not their 9-5 job? Maybe a hobby or volunteering is your passion, and your boring, comfortable, stable job allows you to be fulfilled with a passion outside of your work. 

I'm not disagreeing with you entirely, because I went into architecture because it is my passion. However, I don't look down on those that can't afford the luxury of doing what they love. 

Teak is showing up on Google maps at 12th and Race OTR and the sign on the window says coming soon. 

Teak was a really popular resturaunt back in the day when it was at mt Adams and it will be great to see otr add Thai cusine to it's ever diverse portfolio.

I noticed that too. Teak would be a great addition to OTR. It's odd that OTR keeps getting more pizza places, gastropubs, and craft cocktail bars, while we still don't have a good Thai place, a good Indian place (not counting Injoy which is more of a Chipotle-style takeout place), a good Chinese or Chinese-American place (I would love for something like Covington's AmerAsia to open in OTR), etc.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, taestell said:

I noticed that too. Teak would be a great addition to OTR. It's odd that OTR keeps getting more pizza places, gastropubs, and craft cocktail bars, while we still don't have a good Thai place, a good Indian place (not counting Injoy which is more of a Chipotle-style takeout place), a good Chinese or Chinese-American place (I would love for something like Covington's AmerAsia to open in OTR), etc.

Hope its someone other than Chanaka running Teak in OTR. He ran his location in Mount Adams into the ground. Ended up with food poisoning last time I ate in there and never went back. 

2 hours ago, taestell said:

Does the cost of commercial rent have anything to do with that perhaps? I get the impression that leasing a store front in otr is pretty expensive nowadays and might be a deterrent for a lot of immigrant resturauntuers who are typically much more budget concious.  

^ It probably does, as does the fact that almost every available commercial space is a lease. Many of the best hole-in-the-wall Chinese restaurants are in buildings owned by the folks running the restaurant, and many of them were purchased with cash. For example, Yum Yum is run by the same couple that owns the building. Off the top of my head, I'd say that most of the Chinese places in CUF are operated by the building owners, as well.

The rents in OTR are probably a bit too expensive for a hole-in-the-wall type of place like Krishna or Thai Express, but I would think that a slightly more upscale type of restaurant or a "fusion" style place would do well. Green Papaya in Oakley comes to mind as the type of Thai and sushi place I wish was in OTR.

• Like 1

I've noticed out in the suburbs of Mason/West Chester/Sharonville it's always in a old 80s era strip mall...which I'm also assuming means cheaper rent. 

It's funny, Mikey's Late Nite Slice actually looked at 3cdc owned buildings around south of liberty but 3cdc told them that they weren't looking for another pizza joint tenant. Yet 3cdc allowed Taglio to take over the old Lacheys spot. Go figure...

Last point, OTR is so saturated with, "American" fusion food that I know a good amount of people who have stopped going to OTR all together because they are simply tired of the lack of diverse offerings. 

Zundo, Teak, and I guess Quan Hapa/Kaze are a decent selection of Asian offerings. But I still hope 3cdc and Urban Sites begin to heavily target ethnic cuisine tenants that offer Korean/Vietnamese/indonesian food as well.

Also authentic Greek/Isreali food (Kinneret Cafe in Deer Park is amazing!!)/Ethiopian food is on my bucket list as well. 

I love the that otr is home to a handful of really successful resturaunt groups, but I can't help that their, "chains" doesn't differ all that much. 

On 4/20/2019 at 6:01 PM, troeros said:

Last point, OTR is so saturated with, "American" fusion food that I know a good amount of people who have stopped going to OTR all together because they are simply tired of the lack of diverse offerings.

I do think that 3CDC overplayed their hand a bit in the past few years. They assumed that OTR will always be Cincinnati's top restaurant and bar destination, and doubled-down on new concepts from Thunderdome, Dan Wright, A Tavloa/Taglio, etc. Meanwhile, several of Greater Cincinnati's other gentrifying urban areas have gotten a handful of good restaurants and bars, and a few (i.e. Covington or Northside) have become bigger destinations that compete directly with OTR. I think the addition of national retailers like Bonobos and Warby Parker to Vine Street shows that 3CDC is rethinking their strategy a bit and trying to find the type of retails that would only locate in OTR or the CBD.

Does anyone know what is going on with these buildings? They are owned by a mixture of 3CDC and Model Group based on CAGIS. I included the sale date for each one.

image.thumb.png.2d03076e8ce96a985c3817ebdcc98681.png

EDIT: Saw a couple of comments about these from November. It seems like 3CDC is making moves on acquisition. Hopefully something is actually brewing. Perhaps they are looking to get control of the other properties from Model Group.