Cincinnati: Over-the-Rhine: Development and News (non-3CDC)

Now that I've checked out Bonobos website, all my UO ads are Bonobos. It is a self fulfilling prophesy that if you build it and direct your marketing to people with my apparent browsing habits i will probably at least check it out when it opens.

There is a Tide Dry Cleaners drop off on Sixth Street. I have used it a couple times and I am not a P&G employee. I know most my neighbors just have Widmers pick up and drop off their dry cleaning, since its a free service.

I don't see a Tide Dry Cleaners location on Sixth Street... you sure it's there? Maybe it has closed? Doesn't appear on their website: https://www.tidedrycleaners.com/WebPages/Locations.aspx?statecode=Cincinnati,%20OH

They did not actually do the dry cleaning in that location, but you could drop off items on Vine Street, they would take them to another location to actually dry clean them, and then bring them back to their storefront for you to pick up

Many dry cleaners operate like this now.

G Salzano's, I believe, is also planning to offer dry cleaning pickup/drop off at its Vine Street location.

Filson, Shinola, Frye, and maybe Anthropologie are the only national retail chains I can think of that would be viable for OTR, without making the area feel too generic. Anything like Apple or Zara would be better in the CBD, which clearly isn't happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Filson, Shinola, Frye, and maybe Anthropologie are the only national retail chains I can think of that would be viable for OTR, without making the area feel too generic. Anything like Apple or Zara would be better in the CBD, which clearly isn't happening anytime soon, unfortunately.

Why wouldn't an Apple Store work in OTR? There's enough foot traffic (and soon way more business employees, because of the new 3cdc offices) in otr to have an apple store be successful.

Why wouldn't an Apple Store work in OTR? There's enough foot traffic (and soon way more business employees, because of the new 3cdc offices) in otr to have an apple store be successful.

If it works for Pittsburgh in Shadyside, I don't see why it wouldn't work in OTR...

apple_shadyside.thumb.JPG.b8648709ec848f32f65228c46d3cfa0f.JPG

Guest jmecklenborg

Maybe Im crazy but I feel like the former lacheys spot would be perfect for an apple store...the square footage seems to be enough inside.

Could the pedal wagon still drive in?

I don't know much about the Shadyside neighborhood ^^^, but I feel like that could be a perfect model for future luxury retail in OTR...

I noticed they have an Apple Store, GAP, Banana Republic, Rolex, J.Crew, all within 1-2 blocks from each other...and this doesn't appear to be near Pittsburgh CBD at all, but rather a small historic district on the outskirts of downtown Pitsburgh. Most of the dining options seem local on street view, but all of the retail are known luxury brands for the most part. This model would be perfect for OTR.

Most people enjoy unique dining options, and eating local...but retail is different. People like brands that they are comfortable with, and that they know. Thats why you rarely see more than 2-3 people at a time in those weird junk stores on main street that sell knick knacks that almost no one ever buys.

Shadyside is an area that serves both Carnegie Mellon students and Pittsburgh in general. This concept is common in many US cities, but does not seem to exist in Cincinnati, for whatever reason. Here, we seem to segregate "student areas" (surrounding UC's campus) where students live and hang out, from the rest of the city. Students might hang out in area like OTR on the weekends, but they definitely aren't visiting OTR to shop regularly, and they definitely aren't living in OTR and commuting up the hill to campus on a daily basis. (A few students might, but not in large numbers.)

I remember when I went to UC they had a shuttle that went to newport on the levee but am not sure if it stopped in OTR. Do they have any shuttles that do go to OTR? That would prolly help with bringing more students down. I feel like the hill between OTR and UC creates a separation between the two areas.

Until at least 2013 the bus went to Mt. Adams, Newport, Downtown, OTR, and UC.

It probably still does, but I haven't looked at it in a long time. It used to stop around 12th and Vine. Not sure if that's changed. I think Uber and Lyft make that bus less important than it was when I was in college. Back then you either had a DD, you took a taxi (if they would show up), or you just stayed around UC. I think the student population is much more mobile than it used to be.

Shadyside is an area that serves both Carnegie Mellon students and Pittsburgh in general. This concept is common in many US cities, but does not seem to exist in Cincinnati, for whatever reason. Here, we seem to segregate "student areas" (surrounding UC's campus) where students live and hang out, from the rest of the city. Students might hang out in area like OTR on the weekends, but they definitely aren't visiting OTR to shop regularly, and they definitely aren't living in OTR and commuting up the hill to campus on a daily basis. (A few students might, but not in large numbers.)

Ludlow and Short Vine are a mix of students and non-students.

Until at least 2013 the bus went to Mt. Adams, Newport, Downtown, OTR, and UC.

It probably still does, but I haven't looked at it in a long time. It used to stop around 12th and Vine. Not sure if that's changed. I think Uber and Lyft make that bus less important than it was when I was in college. Back then you either had a DD, you took a taxi (if they would show up), or you just stayed around UC. I think the student population is much more mobile than it used to be.

Yea, I think UC students are moving around more than in the past, and it's directly attributable to Uber/Lyft. I live downtown and have several grad students in my building, not sure about undergrads though. But I've spent a decent amount of time in Shadyside and it has a very similar vibe to OTR. I don't see why those retailers wouldn't want to locate in OTR.

JTM co-owner helps to bring brewery/distillery to Over-the-Rhine

By Tom Demeropolis  – Senior Staff Reporter, Cincinnati Business Courier

Jun 15, 2018, 12:48pm EDT Updated 2 hours ago

An Over-the-Rhine brewery and distillery that has been in the works for at least two years is getting closer to opening with a little help from a co-owner of one of Cincinnati’s largest private food companies.

Joe Maas, a co-owner and president of JTM Food Group, has partnered with Dave Berger to open Northern Row Brewery and Distillery. My colleague, Andy Brownfield, reported on initial plans in June 2016.

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/15/jtm-co-owner-helps-to-bring-brewery-distillery-to.html

Anyone who has not seen the inside of the Apex Building (Northern Row Distillery) is in for a real treat. When they open it up you will see beams cast with "Carnegie Steel 1888" right on them and hard Oak factory floors that had 120 years of workers boots polishing them, side by side with gleaming stainless, glass and PVC still plumbing.

This building is massive, does anyone know if they will occupy the whole thing? While sitting on Rhinegeist's rooftop I've often thought of how amazing the roof on the Apex building would be as it's basically the tallest building in all of Northern OTR. Since the northern portion of the building is 1 story above the main roof they could conceivable put the bar, restrooms, elevator, stairs etc. in that portion and open up the entire main roof with the view to the south, overlooking all of OTR and downtown.

The rest of the building will eventually be one of the real jewels of OTR.

With as much space as the Apex building has, it has the potential to be truly a defining landmark of the neighborhood, the way Rhinegeist is. It will come down to how they design and fill those upper floors. Glad to hear you call it "one of the real jewels"... it certainly has potential!

I think the only divide that separates Clifton and OTR is the fact that north of liberty is quite sketchy to walk across, especially at night.

There is no doubt in my mind that if North is liberty was redeveloped you would see more college students and pedestrians walking up and down the hill...it’s not a bad walk either, it’s just that walking through north of liberty to get to the redeveloped stretches of otr is not the most appealing thought in the world.

It will be a long time for the Jackson Brewery to come on line, but there are steps in the Elm St. right of way that go up the hill. An incline up to Clifton might eventually access the Jackson and link Clifton and OTR. And, as I am sure most of you know, there are endless lagering tunnels starting at Liberty and drilling deep into the hillside, and under and contained within the Jackson.

I think the only divide that separates Clifton and OTR is the fact that north of liberty is quite sketchy to walk across, especially at night.

There is no doubt in my mind that if North is liberty was redeveloped you would see more college students and pedestrians walking up and down the hill...it’s not a bad walk either, it’s just that walking through north of liberty to get to the redeveloped stretches of otr is not the most appealing thought in the world.

I walk from Nippert to my apartment on 4th and Race all the time at night after FCC games. It's really not bad. Yes, there's more trash and poverty but that doesn't mean it's unsafe. There are more isolated incidents of crime north of liberty but those are typically more gang/drug related. Usually the families hanging outside of their buildings on the Vine street hill ask what the score was as I walk by.

I would guess that 40-60% of Americans realistically can't and 90% of Americans won't walk up the hill

Will we ever see another MetroMoves vote on the ballot again? I can say without a shadow of a doubt we will never be the city that we have the potential of being until we have legitimate high speed rail across cincy 52 neighborhoods and the suburbs.

Well, even the city's historical streetcar system didn't cover every neighborhood, and it certainly wasn't what we'd call high-speed.  Add in the interurbans and a couple of commuter railroads and some of the suburbs had at least ok transit options, but not much more.  MetroMoves would've certainly been a big step forward, but still not "high-speed rail across all 52 neighborhoods." 

Maybe with gas prices nudging up a bit there could be a little bit more interest, but I wouldn't expect to see much happen with people like Trump, Kasich, and Cranley in power.  Drill baby drill, screw the environment, etc. 

Will we ever see another MetroMoves vote on the ballot again? I can say without a shadow of a doubt we will never be the city that we have the potential of being until we have legitimate high speed rail across cincy 52 neighborhoods and the suburbs.

Yes, I see it now. 200mph up W. 8th St. 

I would guess that 40-60% of Americans realistically can't and 90% of Americans won't walk up the hill

I still maintain that the view from Bellevue Hill Park is better than from the chalet on Mont Royal in Montreal, and yet hundreds of people make that hike daily. All it takes is a little promotion and wayfinding, and I think that hike could be a real tourist draw.

New bar on 12th and Race called Cobblestone bar...opening soon. Fb/IG page set up but no info about owner or opening date yet.

I spoke with someone over the weekend that knows the guy who is opening it and he's certain that it's not going back to the bad old days of when it was a crack bar.  I guess they're having building issues which is why it's being delayed a few weeks.  That's not too surprising as the owners of the building are the same ones that actually ran the crack bar and have been cited over and over again for building violations.  I just hope the guy(s) running the bar know how much a piece of !$[/member]#% the owner of the building is and have put protections in their lease.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

I still maintain that the view from Bellevue Hill Park is better than from the chalet on Mont Royal in Montreal, and yet hundreds of people make that hike daily. All it takes is a little promotion and wayfinding, and I think that hike could be a real tourist draw.

I agree that Bellevue Hill Park ought to be promoted more. The concession stand should be open and sell food / drinks / ice cream. If you could get a bite to eat and a drink at the top of the hill, it would make for a really fun destination hike for people who are exploring OTR and want to get a nice view.

I agree that Bellevue Hill Park ought to be promoted more. The concession stand should be open and sell food / drinks / ice cream. If you could get a bite to eat and a drink at the top of the hill, it would make for a really fun destination hike for people who are exploring OTR and want to get a nice view.

Sadly that would be the first thing cut from the budget as a 'luxury' that only other cities who can afford basic services would provide.

Edit: In grade school in the 80's and 90's a friend & his mom worked during the summer manning the concession stand at Mt. Echo park. It was for not much money but was a good place for a young person to experience 'working' and for him mom to make a bit of Christmas money. Probably just made enough money to cover the salaries of the workers but was a nice thing to have as kids when you spent you day at the park and needed a cheap snack. THat is the one thing i noticed when i googled the Montreal Park mentioned above is that the chalet itself is a hub of activity and beauty in and of itself and the view is a bonus. Maybe if the long rumored Biergarten & Tram were there Bellevue park would be an attraction but the park itself other than the cool Googie concrete structure is rather dead.

WHY was the bar a crack den in the first place? Were the owners drug addicted themselves? Or did they feel that was the only way to get revenue from the bar?

The owners of the building claimed ignorance and said they were being taken advantage of by the patrons, but that's a load of !%#^*.  Just like the cell phone store that was in the same building, they didn't care if illegal activity was going on as long as they were making money.  That is the same money they refused to use to fix up their building that has been crumbling in around them for many, many years.  Basically, the owners are real pieces of !%#^*.

"Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago." - Warren Buffett 

Nice hopefully that means Pins is opening soon, that place is going to make a killing just like 16 Bit.  It will also be nice to add another place people can go out in that area as pretty much every place is packed on nice weekends.  Is something going in the former Japp's Annex?  If that was announced I must have missed it. 

Nice hopefully that means Pins is opening soon, that place is going to make a killing just like 16 Bit.  It will also be nice to add another place people can go out in that area as pretty much every place is packed on nice weekends.  Is something going in the former Japp's Annex?  If that was announced I must have missed it. 

The reason Japp's Annex closed is because UrbanSites needed to use that space to facilitate the renovation of the upper floors into office space. I don't know if they have a tenant in mind for that space but it does look like they've installed a new generic facade for it.

I think Pins is aiming for a fall opening.

Guest jmecklenborg

They could serve drinks on a mattress with an animatronic scientist dropping bowling balls, ad nauseam. 

Co-living project gets tax credits for $1.2M expansion in OTR

kunst-boards-01*750xx1000-563-0-168.jpg

A Cincinnati group that opened the city's first co-living space last year is getting state tax credits for a $1.2 million project to rehabilitate two buildings to expand in Over-the-Rhine.

Kunst is a group that renovates historic buildings to create apartments and living quarters that are a bit more communal. Its first project, at 2411 Gilbert Ave. in Walnut Hills, is a co-living space with private bedrooms, four bathrooms, two kitchens and a lot of common space.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/06/20/co-living-project-gets-tax-credits-for-1-2m.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Any update about what is going on with that race st project across from Music Hall? It involved demolishing 2 buildings?

I know the hcb approved the project and everything but I’ve seen no movement on this whatsoever. Curious what’s going on?

Any update about what is going on with that race st project across from Music Hall? It involved demolishing 2 buildings?

I know the hcb approved the project and everything but I’ve seen no movement on this whatsoever. Curious what’s going on?

Me and you both!  I'll try and check with the guy who lives right next door to the project to see if he's heard anything.

The reason Japp's Annex closed is because UrbanSites needed to use that space to facilitate the renovation of the upper floors into office space. I don't know if they have a tenant in mind for that space but it does look like they've installed a new generic facade for it.

I think Pins is aiming for a fall opening.

That is where LouVino is opening. WCPO had an article about it a while back.