Jump to content
ColDayMan

Columbus: Downtown: Hilton Columbus Downtown Tower II

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

 

Interesting. GIven that they are officially "breaking ground" today, they seem to be ahead of this schedule. I can't imagine it would be 4-5 months until they start foundation work if they break ground today.

 

It's a ceremonial groundbreaking planned to coincide with the ASAE conference... schedule says site mobilization won't start until the end of September. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, .justin said:

 

It's a ceremonial groundbreaking planned to coincide with the ASAE conference... schedule says site mobilization won't start until the end of September. 

 

Ah gotcha, that makes more sense. I'm also guessing the site is going to need a lot of prep work before they start working on the structure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, the last three pages of that RFP have some site and structural elevations that say the height based on land elevation. While it's pretty blurry and I don't know the exact site elevation, the scale at the base of the page is legible and can be thrown into software to grab some measurements... which I did.

 

Based on that, it looks like our tower should be about.... drumroll..... 

 

342' tall from ground to crown. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

So, the last three pages of that RFP have some site and structural elevations that say the height based on land elevation. While it's pretty blurry and I don't know the exact site elevation, the scale at the base of the page is legible and can be thrown into software to grab some measurements... which I did.

 

Based on that, it looks like our tower should be about.... drumroll..... 

 

342' tall from ground to crown. 

 

For those keeping track at home, 342 feet would put this as the 15th tallest building in the city, just below the Continental Center and above the PNC building.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officials break ground on 28-story, $220M downtown Hilton tower

 

Columbus' first new high rise in 12 years is officially under construction.

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/08/09/officials-break-ground-on-28-story-220m-downtown.html

 

EP-181218192.jpg

  • Like 4

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First Look: Renderings reveal vision for downtown Hilton tower's planned rooftop bar

 

When the $220 million Hilton Columbus Downtown expansion opens in a couple years, yet another rooftop bar will offer views of the skyline.

 

As they broke ground on the 28-story tower, developers of the new hotel unveiled details at last about the rooftop element that will serve the new hotel, headed to a site near the Greater Columbus Convention Center. The Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority added this element to the hotel in order to create a local attraction and generate additional revenue.

 

Architects Cooper Carry and Jeffrey Beers have been designing the interior and exterior of the new hotel for the past year, intending to make it both an events space and a restaurant and bar experience that will attract people within the city as well as capture large socials to be hosted by conventions that use the hotel.

 

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/08/09/first-look-renderings-reveal-vision-for-downtown.html

 

rooftop-barview-01v-04-adjusted*1200xx30

  • Like 1

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28-Story Hilton Breaks Ground, Showcases Rooftop Bar & Restaurant

 

Work officially began on the new 28-story Hilton hotel at the Columbus Convention Center yesterday. The 463 room expansion of the existing Hilton Hotel will bring their combined total room count to 1,000.

 

“The addition of the tower to the Hilton Columbus Downtown will allow Columbus to attract new meetings and events business,” stated Don Brown, executive director, Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority. “With the additional hotel inventory, we’ll be able to host high-profile, national events that will continue to highlight Columbus as a top destination.”

 

More below:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/new-28-story-hilton-hotel-columbus-we1

 

hilton-new-02.jpg


"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CBUS_Res said:

Stumbled across this new rendering in the BizJournal of the new tower 

587DA1D0-2243-4E7E-9BB1-E187B5B8468C.png

 

This rendering makes it look only marginally taller than the Hyatt, which is kind of surprising. I wonder how many of the 28 floors will be below High Street. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

 

This rendering makes it look only marginally taller than the Hyatt, which is kind of surprising. I wonder how many of the 28 floors will be below High Street. 

 

There will be 2 floors below High St. based on the submitted drawings. The floors are mostly loading docks and employee areas, I don't believe there are any public floors below High St. level.

 

As for the actual height, if my earlier calculations are close the Hilton (342')  should end up roughly 80' taller than the Hyatt Regency (256'). I think that render just looks shorter due to the angle it's composed at with the Hyatt being in the foreground and the Hilton Tower falling more into the background, 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been wondering about this! I ride the bus by this site each day and I know they had their "ceremonial ground breaking" a couple weeks ago over the ASAE meeting weekend, but I actually haven't seen anything moving as I go by....granted I can't look below though, lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

Been wondering about this! I ride the bus by this site each day and I know they had their "ceremonial ground breaking" a couple weeks ago over the ASAE meeting weekend, but I actually haven't seen anything moving as I go by....granted I can't look below though, lol.

I could be wrong, but I swear I read somewhere in the many articles that the ground breaking was strategically scheduled for that conference so the attendee's would witness /attend it however actually activity would not start until late September if not October.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

Been wondering about this! I ride the bus by this site each day and I know they had their "ceremonial ground breaking" a couple weeks ago over the ASAE meeting weekend, but I actually haven't seen anything moving as I go by....granted I can't look below though, lol.

 

If the times lines haven't changed, we should see things starting (site mobilization) on September 19. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DevolsDance said:

 

If the times lines haven't changed, we should see things starting (site mobilization) on September 19. 

 

I wasn't sure what "site mobilization" was, so I googled it.  Here's what I got:

 

https://www.levelset.com/blog/construction-mobilization-costs/ -- Mobilization refers to the effort it takes to get a job off the ground. A lot of different activities might be considered mobilization. Sometimes mobilization might be purely administrative, other times they might relate to transportation, or they could refer to actual costs of job site preparation.

 

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Construction_management:_mobilisation -- Construction management: mobilisation. Mobilisation refers to the activities carried out after the client has appointed the trade contractors, but before the trade contractors commence work on site. It is a preparatory stage during which the majority of activities are managed by the construction manager.

 

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/mobilization.html -- Definition of mobilization: Activation of a contractor's physical and manpower resources for transfer to a construction site until the completion of the contract.

 

Given those definitions, if site mobilization does start on September 19, will it have any visible change on the hotel construction site?  Or is it more behind-the-scenes work for the actual groundbreaking?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Columbo said:

 

I wasn't sure what "site mobilization" was, so I googled it.  Here's what I got:

 

https://www.levelset.com/blog/construction-mobilization-costs/ -- Mobilization refers to the effort it takes to get a job off the ground. A lot of different activities might be considered mobilization. Sometimes mobilization might be purely administrative, other times they might relate to transportation, or they could refer to actual costs of job site preparation.

 

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Construction_management:_mobilisation -- Construction management: mobilisation. Mobilisation refers to the activities carried out after the client has appointed the trade contractors, but before the trade contractors commence work on site. It is a preparatory stage during which the majority of activities are managed by the construction manager.

 

http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/mobilization.html -- Definition of mobilization: Activation of a contractor's physical and manpower resources for transfer to a construction site until the completion of the contract.

 

Given those definitions, if site mobilization does start on September 19, will it have any visible change on the hotel construction site?  Or is it more behind-the-scenes work for the actual groundbreaking?

 

Mobilization in this context will be when we see equipment arriving, early staging of materials to begin for foundation and infrastructure, electrical lines covered and moved, site prep like fencing and safe zones, construction trailers, and finally prep for excavation and terraforming.

 

Based on the timelines we will see this all begin September followed by heavy foundation work starting in January. 

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

 

Mobilization in this context will be when we see equipment arriving, early staging of materials to begin for foundation and infrastructure, electrical lines covered and moved, site prep like fencing and safe zones, construction trailers, and finally prep for excavation and terraforming.

 

Based on the timelines we will see this all begin September followed by heavy foundation work starting in January. 

 

They need to move those timelines up a bit to appease my lack of patience. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

WE HAVE A PORT-A-JOHN FOLKS! I REPEAT, WE HAVE A PORT-A-JOHN! IT'S HAPPENING!

 

Technically, the first and most important box on a job site. ...Can't have crew until they have someplace to poo. 

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like site mobilization has begun... Wandered up as a truck full of barrels was arriving and this beautiful piece of machinery was being dropped off, there were also people with site survey flags and spray paint walking around. 

 

IMG_3306.thumb.JPG.20687d71acfda3253ea13cd90aca1fae.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Pablo said:

^You will know when construction begins in earnest when Convention Center Drive is closed to traffic.

 

Yeah, I couldn't fine a ROW permit for them closing it down anytime soon with the city but I don't possibly see how it could stay open in any way through construction. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/16/2019 at 3:21 PM, DevolsDance said:

I spy with my little eye.... 

 

IMG_3283.thumb.JPG.b4f28fb92f7efccc3207834621e7d6c2.JPG

I feel like I never noticed this empty spot before this whole "where do we build this hotel tower" conversation happened, and then looking at it from this angle it is BONKERS that this land has been left empty the entire time the Convention Center has existed!
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not have pictures because it was very dark out, but on my commute today on the bus, High Street directly in front of where this will be built is primed and ready with a bunch of orange barrels moving traffic out of the way for construction.

Edited by Zyrokai
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

I do not have pictures because it was very dark out, but on my commute today on the bus, High Street directly in front of where this will be built is primed and ready with a bunch of orange barrels moving traffic out of the way for construction.

 

Convention Center Drive by the construction site is also now closed.

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zyrokai said:

I do not have pictures because it was very dark out, but on my commute today on the bus, High Street directly in front of where this will be built is primed and ready with a bunch of orange barrels moving traffic out of the way for construction.

 

Yep, they began setting up barrels yesterday and today it appears the new traffic flow is up and running. Walked through this morning and they have begun working on the steel expansion joints where High crosses the tracks and road below as well as marking up and delivering equipment to the site now that Convention Center Drive has closed. I expect things will start kicking into gear fairly quickly now that they have cordoned off the site. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Work underway on new 460-room Hilton tower by Columbus convention center

 

As Franklin County commissioners approved their financing toward the $220 million, 1,000-room Hilton hotel tower next to the Greater Columbus Convention Center, some officials already are wondering when planning should begin on the next hotel expansion to keep up with demand from large conventions and other gatherings.

 

image.png.efa5ca65cd2b5fe81a67cc28413db856.png

 

https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20191024/work-underway-on-new-460-room-hilton-tower-by-columbus-convention-center?fbclid=IwAR1t5bkpAEaLlbKXVuVnswfGcTv1OhsSTkkQ7BtHWS_6RWvrzWwoXU81ORc

 

There isn't much new or groundbreaking news in this article, but I did find it interesting that they are already talking about when we need to start the process for the next big hotel development. Don Brown, executive director of the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority, said they are ready to take up the next hotel project and they have a couple ideas already, but they don't want to get ahead of what the county thinks they should do. I would love to know what ideas they have. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^ The print Dispatch also carried a version of this rendering for the hotel project.  I just love how you can see the railroad tracks underneath and the other two convention center hotels (Hyatt & Hilton I) plus the Convention Center itself in the background:

 

AR-181218192.jpg&key=09da760dd0284703311

  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this looks like a great location for the next hotel tower. It would force the developer to build up pretty high and would likely lead to some interesting architecture given the weird lot shape. 

 

image.thumb.png.289483a5056ffcaa38bf44d8dea690fa.png

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

I think this looks like a great location for the next hotel tower. It would force the developer to build up pretty high and would likely lead to some interesting architecture given the weird lot shape. 

 

image.thumb.png.289483a5056ffcaa38bf44d8dea690fa.png

 

They are either referring to this location or the vast lot on the east of the summit/third street. 

 

It was a real missed opportunity when they didnt end up selecting any of the proposals to develop the Goodale section. 

 

Edit:

 

https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-15-story-towers-proposed-at-convention-center

 

Also. FWIW, NBBJ who designed the garage had a concept for that lot already as well. 

 

 

Screenshot_20191025-142310_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

And just as soon as it all appeared, all those construction barrels on High are gone 😛

 

The project is dead! Everyone panic!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zyrokai said:

And just as soon as it all appeared, all those construction barrels on High are gone 😛

 

Yeah they were just doing joint repairs on the bridge. I imagine when the building construction starts in earnest the northbound curb lane will close.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...