ColDayMan

Columbus: Downtown: Hilton Columbus Downtown Tower II

4 hours ago, drtom1234 said:

It's certainly possible I'm wrong, but my recollection from contemperaneous CU and Dispatch articles is that the original proposal was unsolicited, and the authority couldn't accept or deny a proposal without putting out a request for other proposals. I don't know for sure, but I don't think they ever had any intent, or desire, for a tower in that location. 

I see what you're saying regarding the size of the current addition, but again, I think they've been savvy in their additions, never overbuilding, and leaving opportunities for growth in the future; thus the update and expansion as currently available, and the upcoming Hilton expansion. That's also why I'm expecting a big proposal around 2022-2024 involving the east side parking lot, which I expect to be a field house to compete for bigger events, up to and including the mens's Final Four, and simlar size events. 

I'd like to re-iterate this is supposition on my part, but based on what they've done over the last 10 years or so, I think's it is a reasonable extrapolation.

Well Waggenbrenner first asked the city and the GCCCA, and then the GCCCA put out RFPs. And considering Waggenbrenner had pretty detailed plans with a hotel signed on tells me they worked on it for quite some time with the GCCCA.

Columbus will never get the men's Final Four. It's played in indoor football stadiums only now. They should definitely get sweet sixteens though.

They better go BIG with it though. Multiple hundreds of thousands of square feet on multiple levels solely dedicated to sports; a 2,500+ space parking garage; and a couple medium size hotels. All connected to the existing complex under 3rd St.

Edited by aderwent
St not ave

No they put out the call for proposals themselves.  After receiving several, they decided to instead do a $125 million renovation and the small addition.  It was never explicitly stated, but it was obvious they were worried that a new hotel would compete with the few-years-old one in Hilton phase 1, which the city helped finance.  Columbus subsequently ended up losing events like the RNC due to a lack of hotels.  They weren’t forward-thinking at all.  This new Hilton is playing catch-up.  Furthermore, even with it built, Columbus will still be underserved by hotel rooms compared to pretty much all its national peers.  This will remain an issue.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jonoh81 said:

No they put out the call for proposals themselves.  After receiving several, they decided to instead do a $125 million renovation and the small addition.  It was never explicitly stated, but it was obvious they were worried that a new hotel would compete with the few-years-old one in Hilton phase 1, which the city helped finance.  Columbus subsequently ended up losing events like the RNC due to a lack of hotels.  They weren’t forward-thinking at all.  This new Hilton is playing catch-up.  Furthermore, even with it built, Columbus will still be underserved by hotel rooms compared to pretty much all its national peers.  This will remain an issue.  

Yep. Even with the Hilton Canopy, Moxy, Graduate, Hilton, AC Marriott, and whatever hotel they have planned at Market Tower they need at least 2,000 additional rooms within a 15 minute walk. So them being scared of one competing hotel is completely asinine. The GCCCA royally screwed up here.

Was the Hyatt designed to be taller? Or is the roof of that building part of its strange aesthetics?

Hopefully the final lot behind the cap can squeeze a 20+ story hotel. And then the lot across Third could accommodate a couple medium to large hotels as well.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, aderwent said:

Yep. Even with the Hilton Canopy, Moxy, Graduate, Hilton, AC Marriott, and whatever hotel they have planned at Market Tower they need at least 2,000 additional rooms within a 15 minute walk. So them being scared of one competing hotel is completely asinine. The GCCCA royally screwed up here.

Was the Hyatt designed to be taller? Or is the roof of that building part of its strange aesthetics?

Hopefully the final lot behind the cap can squeeze a 20+ story hotel. And then the lot across Third could accommodate a couple medium to large hotels as well.

The Hyatt was originally proposed to be 17 stories instead of its final 20, so it ended up getting a small size increase.  It had a drastically different shape in early proposals, though, something more like a pyramid if I remember right.  The lower section on the east side was always part of the design. 

Interesting story about how this all went down- In 1975, the actual convention center was going to be tied into the hotel south of the railroad tracks.  A multi-modal transit station was planned for the north side.  The idea was to incorporate the old Union Station into the transit complex.  When the city shadily tore Union Station down, it ended up losing federal funds that were tied to preserving Union Station given its status on the National Register of Historic Places.  That money had been earmarked to help build the transit center.  With that money gone, the city decided to build the convention center on the north side of the tracks, keep the new hotel separate, and we would never see the transit center built.  The Union Station/transit center site would remain a parking lot for years after, as the city had no funds to really build the convention center either, showing no real reason why US was even demolished in the first place.  I consider this story the most Columbus Columbus of all time. 

Edited by jonoh81

1 hour ago, jonoh81 said:

That whole sequence of calling for an RFP, getting peoples hopes up, and then ignoring the RFP was likely the reason that the executive director of the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority at that time is no longer the executive director of the FCCFA.  At end of 2014, they replaced him with a longtime Franklin County administrator who oversaw construction of the new Common Pleas Courthouse and construction of Huntington Park for the Clippers:  

Article about the new director:  https://www.dispatch.com/article/20141224/NEWS/312249747

• Like 2

22 hours ago, jonoh81 said:

The Hyatt was originally proposed to be 17 stories instead of its final 20, so it ended up getting a small size increase.  It had a drastically different shape in early proposals, though, something more like a pyramid if I remember right.  The lower section on the east side was always part of the design. 

Interesting story about how this all went down- In 1975, the actual convention center was going to be tied into the hotel south of the railroad tracks.  A multi-modal transit station was planned for the north side.  The idea was to incorporate the old Union Station into the transit complex.  When the city shadily tore Union Station down, it ended up losing federal funds that were tied to preserving Union Station given its status on the National Register of Historic Places.  That money had been earmarked to help build the transit center.  With that money gone, the city decided to build the convention center on the north side of the tracks, keep the new hotel separate, and we would never see the transit center built.  The Union Station/transit center site would remain a parking lot for years after, as the city had no funds to really build the convention center either, showing no real reason why US was even demolished in the first place.  I consider this story the most Columbus Columbus of all time. 

I took this photo the summer of 1985 from the exterior elevator on the Nationwide tower. A lot has changed. I think the original location of the Ohio Center was bad to begin with. It was shoehorned between Nationwide Blvd and the tracks with no clean path of expansion. A better original location would have helped but here we are. 

10345628934_f7801c362c_c.jpg

• Like 2

Financing for $220M Hilton expansion now in place as county facilities authority approves deal

https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2019/05/01/financing-for-220m-hilton-expansion-now-in-place.html?iana=hpmvp_colum_news_headline

The final step of approval for the first skyscraper to be built in downtown Columbus in 12 years officially took place Tuesday at the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority's monthly board meeting.

After approval of the agreement from both the city and the county, the last step before financing could be put in place for the $220 million Hilton hotel expansion was the authority's approval of the terms of the deal.

• Like 3

On 4/29/2019 at 10:28 AM, Pablo said:

I took this photo the summer of 1985 from the exterior elevator on the Nationwide tower. A lot has changed. I think the original location of the Ohio Center was bad to begin with. It was shoehorned between Nationwide Blvd and the tracks with no clean path of expansion. A better original location would have helped but here we are. 

Pablo, someone on Reddit took a picture from this spot yesterday. Here I put them side-by-side:

CCCompare.thumb.jpg.17f00bb3f66391609d48d6f6e2a79e47.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 1

I only remember the lot being gravel, not paved. So either I'm remembering when it was first torn down (my memories only go back until about 1981) or the lot went gravel again after being paved. Or I'm am remembering the initial construction phase of the Convention Center.

That comparison picture is really cool! But.......I don't see the Greek church in the left picture. I thought it was old! Is it just not visible? It seems like it should be....

1 hour ago, GCrites80s said:

It's not old! It went up in the early '90s I think. It does look old.

Yep, it was built in 1990 replacing the original church which dated back to 1922.

Below is the best image I could find of the original. 

default.jpg.e2c7fee2ab01a10f8c2a734010a3bed6.jpg

Edited by DevolsDance
Photo

They also tore down a bunch of actual historic buildings when they rebuilt the church.  The church is cool, but I would prefer the original streetscape.

I thought the day would never come, this will be Columbus' first 300+ tower since Marinova was under construction back in 1999.

The closest we've gotten was The James back in 2014 clocking in at 297', this will likely hit the 320'-350' range. 

It's a good day!

• Like 5

16 hours ago, DevolsDance said:

I thought the day would never come, this will be Columbus' first 300+ tower since Marinova was under construction back in 1999.

The closest we've gotten was The James back in 2014 clocking in at 297', this will likely hit the 320'-350' range. 

It's a good day!

And this building has windows on all sides! What a development!

On 6/21/2019 at 10:06 AM, aderwent said:

Pablo, someone on Reddit took a picture from this spot yesterday. Here I put them side-by-side:

CCCompare.thumb.jpg.17f00bb3f66391609d48d6f6e2a79e47.jpg

I kinda remember it that way in the 90's for the most part. Very cool side by side comparison. Does OSU and short north pretty much meet up now??? High St is one of the most grandest if not "they" grandest street in Ohio one may argue now! 

But that would be off topic in this thread to do. 

13 hours ago, Mildtraumatic said:

I kinda remember it that way in the 90's for the most part. Very cool side by side comparison. Does OSU and short north pretty much meet up now??? High St is one of the most grandest if not "they" grandest street in Ohio one may argue now! 

But that would be off topic in this thread to do. 

Not to go to far off topic, but what was there before 670?  I had thought they bulldozed a lot of buildings to put that in, but in the picture above on the left it looks like a green ditch was there? 

7 minutes ago, 17thState said:

Not to go to far off topic, but what was there before 670?  I had thought they bulldozed a lot of buildings to put that in, but in the picture above on the left it looks like a green ditch was there? 

Before 670, that area was primarily Flytown - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flytown

If you want want to see aerials before it was built, go here - https://www.historicaerials.com/viewer - and look up Columbus. The 1953 and 57 aerial photos shows the intact neighborhood prior to the urban renewal projects that kicked off in lates 50's.

• Like 1

Thank you for the aerials link. I was aware of the flytown urban renewals (thanks to the WOSU Columbus neighborhoods series) but seeing the scale from above put it more into perspective. 

The 670 trench must have just been more green and over grown when the first picture was taken which is what confused me. I was expecting to see the concrete lined channel you see now. 

On 6/21/2019 at 7:49 PM, jonoh81 said:

They also tore down a bunch of actual historic buildings when they rebuilt the church.  The church is cool, but I would prefer the original streetscape.

I've been by that church many times shocked it's a relatively new build.  Looks  built around 1950's or older.

Looking at picture, where are they going to put the new tower? South of 670?

Edited by Mildtraumatic

9 hours ago, 17thState said:

Thank you for the aerials link. I was aware of the flytown urban renewals (thanks to the WOSU Columbus neighborhoods series) but seeing the scale from above put it more into perspective. 

The 670 trench must have just been more green and over grown when the first picture was taken which is what confused me. I was expecting to see the concrete lined channel you see now. 

670 was just two lanes in each direction with sloped banks that were overgrown. That's the green line you see. Here's High St. over 670 before the cap was built.

highbefore.jpg

OK, back on topic - looking forward to seeing the Hilton construction start! 

Edited by Pablo
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Great catch! 

Interesting that it says it's 29 floors and not the 28 we have all seen multiple times, but that could just be the pedestal required to bring it up to street level. I just really want to know the height of this thing! Im so curious to see where in the 300s it's going to land. 

4 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Great catch! 

Interesting that it says it's 29 floors and not the 28 we have all seen multiple times, but that could just be the pedestal required to bring it up to street level. I just really want to know the height of this thing! Im so curious to see where in the 300s it's going to land. 

Yep, I'm assuming it's 28 floors if you are standing on High Street, but there will be one floor below that. 

1 hour ago, cbussoccer said:

Last we heard, groundbreaking was scheduled for today. Anyone know if that is officially happening?

Yep, the groundbreaking is today! I believe it's at 1pm

• Love 1

2 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Last we heard, groundbreaking was scheduled for today. Anyone know if that is officially happening?

39 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

Yep, the groundbreaking is today! I believe it's at 1pm

Also, this week, they just added a huge sign on the north side of the Convention Center with a picture of it and advertising it opening in 2022.

12 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Also, this week, they just added a huge sign on the north side of the Convention Center with a picture of it and advertising it opening in 2022.

Awesome! I've been waiting for their Crane application to see how tall it will be, but I haven't seen it posted yet.

4 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Awesome! I've been waiting for their Crane application to see how tall it will be, but I haven't seen it posted yet.

That has been kind of shocking to be being that they are starting already on things. Hmm, strange. I know someone posted the crew had their applications in already, I guess everything runs on different timelines. 

20 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Yeah, they are pushing it really hard on facebook as well as the only 1,000 room convention hotel in Ohio, which is kind of cool to think about. 

Just now, DevolsDance said:

That has been kind of shocking to be being that they are starting already on things. Hmm, strange. I know someone posted the crew had their applications in already, I guess everything runs on different timelines. 

I would imagine there is going to be a ton of prep/foundation work involved, so they probably aren't in any rush to get that application in. We are probably still at least a few months away from seeing a crane on site. 

There's a construction schedule buried in the Request for Proposals for the FFE procurement services for the new hotel on the convention center authority's website... 18th page in this PDF. It's very likely dates have shifted some since that was published, but it shows:

- foundation work starting in January 2020

- podium buildout starting in September 2020

- tower buildout starting in December 2020

- cranes/hoists being used starting in March 2020

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, .justin said:

There's a construction schedule buried in the Request for Proposals for the FFE procurement services for the new hotel on the convention center authority's website... 18th page in this PDF. It's very likely dates have shifted some since that was published, but it shows:

- foundation work starting in January 2020

- podium buildout starting in September 2020

- tower buildout starting in December 2020

- cranes/hoists being used starting in March 2020

Interesting. GIven that they are officially "breaking ground" today, they seem to be ahead of this schedule. I can't imagine it would be 4-5 months until they start foundation work if they break ground today.