Columbus: Downtown: Hilton Columbus Downtown Tower II

ColDayMan

• 2 weeks later...

Work underway on new 460-room Hilton tower by Columbus convention center

As Franklin County commissioners approved their financing toward the $220 million, 1,000-room Hilton hotel tower next to the Greater Columbus Convention Center, some officials already are wondering when planning should begin on the next hotel expansion to keep up with demand from large conventions and other gatherings.

image.png.efa5ca65cd2b5fe81a67cc28413db856.png

https://www.thisweeknews.com/news/20191024/work-underway-on-new-460-room-hilton-tower-by-columbus-convention-center?fbclid=IwAR1t5bkpAEaLlbKXVuVnswfGcTv1OhsSTkkQ7BtHWS_6RWvrzWwoXU81ORc

There isn't much new or groundbreaking news in this article, but I did find it interesting that they are already talking about when we need to start the process for the next big hotel development. Don Brown, executive director of the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority, said they are ready to take up the next hotel project and they have a couple ideas already, but they don't want to get ahead of what the county thinks they should do. I would love to know what ideas they have. 

• Like 2

^ The print Dispatch also carried a version of this rendering for the hotel project.  I just love how you can see the railroad tracks underneath and the other two convention center hotels (Hyatt & Hilton I) plus the Convention Center itself in the background:

AR-181218192.jpg&key=09da760dd0284703311

• Like 2
  • Love 1

47 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

I think this looks like a great location for the next hotel tower. It would force the developer to build up pretty high and would likely lead to some interesting architecture given the weird lot shape. 

image.thumb.png.289483a5056ffcaa38bf44d8dea690fa.png

They are either referring to this location or the vast lot on the east of the summit/third street. 

It was a real missed opportunity when they didnt end up selecting any of the proposals to develop the Goodale section. 

Edit:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/two-15-story-towers-proposed-at-convention-center

Also. FWIW, NBBJ who designed the garage had a concept for that lot already as well. 

Screenshot_20191025-142310_Chrome.jpg

Edited by DTCL11
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Zyrokai said:

And just as soon as it all appeared, all those construction barrels on High are gone ?

Yeah they were just doing joint repairs on the bridge. I imagine when the building construction starts in earnest the northbound curb lane will close.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
23 minutes ago, Toddguy said:

I can't remember but is there and official or *estimated* height for this building?

According to @DevolsDance on the previous page, it should top out at 342'. That height is "from ground to crown", so it will probably be more like 325' due to the fact that it's base will be lower than High Street. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Photo update

Hilton infrastructure and groundwork work has begun, the High St sidewalk and parking/shoulder lane have also been closed off for what looks like site prep. 

IMG_4391.thumb.JPG.0a6d8e4bca91eeb569c6d0c4c31f613e.JPG

Additionally, the new parking garage has topped out and it's connection to the building has begun as well as the bracket structure along 4th the will ultimately hold the fluid mesh set to line that side of the garage. 

IMG_4392.thumb.JPG.8365fff8b910739fd9b6868f63a61a42.JPG

• Like 7

Can't wait for the first time I start to see this peak above High St level.  It's one of those things I drive by like everyday living near Goodale Park.  I feel the same about watching CoverMyMeds finally become visible from the highway(I commute to Dublin everyday for work).  1.  It breaks up the boring drive and gives me something to look at.  2. It's cool seeing the physical presence as it rises above street level.  Can't wait for that with the Hilton.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

Can't wait for the first time I start to see this peak above High St level.  It's one of those things I drive by like everyday living near Goodale Park.  I feel the same about watching CoverMyMeds finally become visible from the highway(I commute to Dublin everyday for work).  1.  It breaks up the boring drive and gives me something to look at.  2. It's cool seeing the physical presence as it rises above street level.  Can't wait for that with the Hilton.

Just wait until Crew Stadium starts to go vertical or when North Market Tower (hopefully) gets started in a few months. Your daily commute is going to be even more exciting!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

I hadn't really considered how tall Crew Stadium will be when it's done.  Will there be a pretty big presence from 670?

I’m not sure. I’m guessing it will be fairly noticeable, especially when driving eastbound. Hopefully the surrounding developments are tall enough to shield it from view. Not because it will be ugly, but because I want to see some 8-10 story buildings there. 

14 hours ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

I hadn't really considered how tall Crew Stadium will be when it's done.  Will there be a pretty big presence from 670?

The stadium roof height will be 79', based on that I imagine it'll have a pretty big impact visually from both 670 and 315. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, cbussoccer said:

Not because it will be ugly, but because I want to see some 8-10 story buildings there. 

Yea, to be honest, I'm probably a little more excited in the long run for the buildings that end up between 670 and the stadium in Confluence Village.  They'll be closer to the highway with White Castle right on the other side.  It'll be nice to finally drive through there and have buildings right on both sides of you.  Add Chipotle HQ, AC hotel, and the final phase of Jefferey Park and that drive is gonna be much better in a few years.  Awesome time to be in Cbus.

• Like 3

Off topic! Lock it down! Cut the postz!  Wait... it's not the cleveland threads?! Ah... we're good then. ?

I'm preparing myself for the worst on the surrounding development TBH. With as much if the surrounding project that has already been cut back, I'm not expecting anything beyond a collection of unremarkable 3-4 story buildings that won't even touch the height of the stadium. I won't be surprised if there are delays and further scalebacks. (If you aren't aware of the scale back of the development within months of the announcement I would refer to the other thread for the details) 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, TH3BUDDHA said:

The Sherwin Williams thread and getting locked.  Name a more iconic duo.

I wish I knew what was going on in that thread. I keep going in there and I have no idea what's going on. I just hope S-W is staying in Cleveland with their new HQ. Also, what iconic duo are you talking about? [apologies for being ignorant]

Also your popcorn gif was perfect.

I personally love the big red "risk of closure" banner. 

Anyway, so we don't get one ourselves...  I still have some faith in the stadium development. I know they've scaled it back, but I'm hopeful that just means they'll be lots they leave for future development, call it a pocket park or something in the interim. I'd hate for it all to be a bunch of cheap as possible 3 story buildings. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed what looked like tower crane foundation construction on the sidewalk just north of the High St. viaduct. That might be the only place for a crane since most of the site is comprised of bridges and the building will fill in the entire void between the existing buildings and bridges.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I noticed what looked like tower crane foundation construction on the sidewalk just north of the High St. viaduct. That might be the only place for a crane since most of the site is comprised of bridges and the building will fill in the entire void between the existing buildings and bridges.

Oh baby. 

37 minutes ago, FudgeRounds said:

The crane should be erected in March, no? Anyone know if it’ll be self-climbing? I would think they wouldn’t want to stick a 300+ foot crane up at the start of construction. 

It would have to be self climbing. Is it even possible to build a 300+ foot crane without it being self climbing?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Walked by earlier this morning and grabbed a picture of progress. Looks like foundation work is starting, seems crews are shoring up the land along the RR tracks and I decided to ask the crews on High St., apparently they are digging where the two structures will be connected through a tunnel. 

IMG_4648.thumb.JPG.d0b82b35a09acc018966a1df20d05235.JPG 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

One of the random things I've been thinking of is how I wish the convention center could fill in the two spots above the rail lines with green space. 

Also, I didn't get a pic but the 'screening' on the east side garage looks awful IMO. I had much higher hopes for it but now that it appears to be done I think I'd rather have just seen the same treatment as the highly disputed aesthetic of the North Garage. 

53 minutes ago, DTCL11 said:

Also, I didn't get a pic but the 'screening' on the east side garage looks awful IMO. I had much higher hopes for it but now that it appears to be done I think I'd rather have just seen the same treatment as the highly disputed aesthetic of the North Garage. 

I don't hate it but I definitely don't love it, I am holding my judgement for the lighting and neon sculpture that are supposed to happen before it's complete. However in its current state, it's absolutely underwhelming. I believe the 670 garage was NBBJ and this garage is Schooley Caldwell.. I tend to prefer the more impactful/vibrant designs of NBBJ. 

On 2/7/2020 at 1:51 PM, NorthShore647 said:

New advertisement / signage at the Convention Center (Fri. 2-7-20)

Hopefully a temporary pedestrian walkway is built once they're further into the construction process. 

That sign has been there for aquite a while now, actually. But did they update it? I thought it was 2021, but 2022 makes more sense.

I know I'm being impatient and illogical but I'm getting frustrated in not seeing any actual building going up. Just feels like dirt being pushed around if we're lucky, lol.

Emphasis on my being impatient and illogical.

33 minutes ago, Zyrokai said:

I know I'm being impatient and illogical but I'm getting frustrated in not seeing any actual building going up.

It's gonna be quite a while until we see anything begin to rise, if I had to guess. The amount of site prep and sub-High Street work that has to be done seems to be pretty substantial. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zyrokai said:

I know I'm being impatient and illogical but I'm getting frustrated in not seeing any actual building going up. Just feels like dirt being pushed around if we're lucky, lol.

1 hour ago, cbussoccer said:

It's gonna be quite a while until we see anything begin to rise, if I had to guess. The amount of site prep and sub-High Street work that has to be done seems to be pretty substantial. 

I have good news for both of you, things should actually start progressing here much quicker soon. I have been told the early stages are focused on utility relocation and the tunnel under High, but the foundation work will kick into high gear as it get warmer and the schedule has steel rising by mid-June/early July!

Edited by DevolsDance
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, DevolsDance said:

I have good news for both of you, things should actually start progressing here much quicker soon. I have been told the early stages are focused on utility relocation and the tunnel under High, but the foundation work will kick into high gear as it get warmer and the schedule has steel rising by mid-June/early July!

Your January photo shows storm sewer structures stockpiled on Convention Center Drive and your Tuesday photo shows they're installed. Lots of site prep work in an area with tons of underground infrastructure. That's good progress considering tricking construction! Looking forward to June!

4 hours ago, Pablo said:

Your January photo shows storm sewer structures stockpiled on Convention Center Drive and your Tuesday photo shows they're installed. Lots of site prep work in an area with tons of underground infrastructure. That's good progress considering tricking construction! Looking forward to June!

I imagine one of the warmest, least snowy winters on record is helping out in terms of quick progress.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Here's why the stay-at-home order isn't stopping work at Columbus' $220M Hilton tower project

Construction on the Hilton Columbus Downtown's new tower – which will eventually turn the Hilton into a 1,000-room hotel – is ongoing despite the Covid-19 outbreak and the governor's stay-at-home order.

That’s because the order, issued Sunday, does not apply to public works construction projects.  The hotel is owned by the Franklin County Convention Facilities Authority.

Site work is continuing for the $220 million Hilton project, Don Brown, executive director of the Convention Facilities Authority, said Monday.  Excavation and foundation work is still ongoing. ... If there are no delays, it is slated to open in 2022.

MORE:  https://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2020/03/24/heres-why-the-stay-at-home-order-isnt-stopping.html

On 3/25/2020 at 7:44 AM, cbussoccer said:

Is anyone aware of a construction cam for this project? I know they had one for the first Hilton when it was being built, but I haven't been able to find one for this tower. 

I haven't been able to locate one either unfortunately. 

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ventured past the construction site recently? Are they still playing in the dirt, or should we expect to see anything vertical happening soon? I haven't seen an application filed for a crane on the oeaaa website, so I'm assuming that's still a ways off.

3 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

Has anyone ventured past the construction site recently? Are they still playing in the dirt, or should we expect to see anything vertical happening soon? I haven't seen an application filed for a crane on the oeaaa website, so I'm assuming that's still a ways off.

Still playing around below and dismantling the current building.  I haven't seen anything that would indicate moving towards vertical soon.  

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, cbussoccer said:

I actually drove past yesterday for the first time in 3 months.  I've been working from home the past few months, but my office is across the street from this and from what I can tell they had a giant auger/drill in place as well as a street level "boom crane".  Kind of reminded me of the huge towering tools you see at the Crew Stadium site. There was definitely activity still taking place.  Sorry if my references to the tools/machines are wrong, I'm not all that savvy with that.

Edited by Gnoraa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2