• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nickmgray

Cleveland Relocation: need neighborhood, school recommendations

Parks, playgrounds and private schools are found everyone in the Cleveland metro, so I'm not sure your point. The Ohio City area will be tough to beat when the towpath trail, lakefront trail, and Redline greenways projects are completed. 

I'm pretty sure that depends on age. Babies and toddlers aren't impressed by bike and running trails. They need places to play. They need enrichment. I really don't know what OC offers when it comes to that but I do know that the Heights area doesn't lack in those areas at all. You tried to imply that it does.

Suggesting Cleveland hts because of their schools is downright disingenuous.  They're ranked as one of the worst school districts in Ohio..

#556 out 608 with an overall D report card. 

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/erry-2018/09/3946c3c5f21431/every-ohio-school-district-ran.html

MY wife has lived in Ohio City for over 6yrs and has never had any issues with being harassed when alone...She's a runner, and frequently walks to the hangout spots on w25th too.

As far as crime, Cleveland Hts deals with many of the same crimes issues (car/house break-ins) as people living on the near westside. 

I have several nieces and nephews in the CH-UH school system and all are doing well.  If you have active, involved parents, there is no reason kids won't thrive in the school system. 

As far as crime - it happens everywhere. I lived in Hudson when I was in high school and kids would go into cars and garages and steal stuff. 

• Like 1

I really appreciate the discussion about the different cities and neighborhoods. As stated in my original post, we love cities and everything they have to offer. While Cleveland Heights is on our list, the areas that we are looking at are along Ceder and Coventry which appear to offer a variety of shops, restaurant and walkable neighborhoods. 

As far as schooling goes, we're not really that picky. We have been homeschooling for nearly two years now and could actually continue with that since our jobs allow us to travel at any time. We're also of the firm conviction that a school's score isn't representative of how individual students perform. We have experienced schools with failing grades first hand, but that had little effect on our daughters and their education. 

As mentioned, some of these cities have higher property taxes and some have better connections to public transit. Are there any other pros/cons that we should consider when looking at these various places?

The Cedar-Lee area has wider selection of restaurants but I consider Coventry to have a wider selection of shops in general. And it has a good selection of restaurants. Plus, Coventry has better transit access. It has the #7 and #9 buses, plus free CircleLink buses to University Circle. The #7 runs through Coventry only 17 hours a day, every 40 minutes peak and every 45-60 minutes off peak. The #9 Mayfield runs on the north side of the Coventry district 21 hours a day but only half-hourly peak and 43-60 minutes off-peak, yet that's better than the #32 bus on Cedar. And then you've got the CircleLink's Blue Link that runs daily between Coventry, Little Italy and the northern half of University Circle (see: https://www.universitycircle.org/files/assets/ucicirclelinkbrochurefall2017.pdf). The weekday service hours are from 6:30 am to 6 pm with weekend service hours from 12 noon to 6 pm. In a few years, the Top Of The Hill development at Cedar-Euclid Hts (a 20-minute walk or 5-minute bike ride from Coventry) should be completed and will add more restaurant/retail destinations. There are already some nice restaurants and shops in the Cedar-Euclid Hts-Fairmount area.

There are many families in Ohio City and Detroit-Shoreway! The Near West Family Network is a great resource that can connect you to people who actually live in the neighborhoods and have direct experience with schools, safety etc. The website is http://nearwestfamilynetwork.org/