Hey Guys, figured we should start this thread outside of CVNP's.

First post, my fiance and I will be going to New Hampshire over Columbus Day weekend to hike and be foliage tourists. Our hikes will be limited to October 6th, as we will be heading to Boston the following day to see family.

We will be climbing Mount Osceola in the morning, then getting back into our car and doing a more flat hike to East Pond. Views from Osceola and East Pond are pictured below.

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2F7010c0cd3f6a70b81e7c3937db12e389%2F200774742%2F129767498.jpg

extra_large_8737f53917e6a6a2db1085bf3f16b125.jpg

View from each side of Osceola [240 degree view from the top]

basch-jdp-vn-092317-ph01

East Pond

This will be our first true hike outside of Ohio, PA, MI, or New York. So advice will be much appreciated!

We are bringing the following with us:

- Hiking boots

- My 50L trail ready back pack.

- Neck gaiters (ticks are particularly bad in NH this year)

- Waterproof coats if need be

- Lunch (Half loaf of bread, organic peanut butter, and pears)

- Selfie stick (Millenial lifeline)

- Tree hammock

- (I'm bringing Thoreau  ;) )

- and two 32 oz. Nalgene bottles filled with water.

- Bug spray

Are we missing anything glaring? I understand we aren't scaling Everest here, but I just want to make sure we have our bases covered.

All tips/pointers/suggestions about what to bring or what to see while in NH (We're staying in Waterville Valley) are greatly appreciated.

How long are your hikes? The bug spray will be key. I was just hiking in Vermont a few weeks ago and the bugs were really bad.

That's a nice area of the country, but I haven't been in that specific area in the past ten years or so. 

You seem fairly well-prepared already.  The area is rocky (granite), so good boots will be key; and often steep, so you might take more frequent breaks.  Ticks are more likely to attach to your feet/legs and crawl up, so gaiters to bridge the shoe/pants junction would be better than neck gaiters if you're that concerned about ticks.  Spray your pantlegs with bug spray, don't walk through any meadows, and check yourself post-hike. 

I'm a mosquito magnet, but ticks have rarely bothered me despite lots of time in the outdoors and companions who were not so lucky.

Other suggestions might include a small blanket or foam pad to sit on (but not necessary), some extra dry socks, and a small first-aid kit (blister treatment is probably the most likely first aid you'll need).

Check the weather -- the temperature at the peak will be much lower and it will be windier than at the trailhead.  A raincoat may be sufficient for some extra warmth, but you might want a fleece for your lunch break.

My trips to that area generally demand trying a new regional beer, eating some lobster, and a trip to Ben & Jerry's (the latter being much less of a novelty now than it used to be -- but still a nice reward after a hike!)

Also, New Hampshire doesn't have a sales tax (or income tax -- so you can imagine what property taxes are like!) but I think there are hotel and restaurant taxes to collect tourist dollars.  Without a sales tax, outlet malls can be worthwhile, if that's your thing.  Antiquing is big there and it seems every small town you drive through will have some antique (or junk) shops.

I'd check TripAdvisor or Yelp for hotel and restaurant ideas. 

Share pictures and stories when you get back!

Awesome, thanks guys! Re: the ticks, I bought waterproof hiking pants that will go all the way to my laces, and I doubt we will venture much off trail at either spot.

Good call on the extra socks.

I'm really huge on transcendentalism, so I'm stopping at Walden Pond on our way back too.

But the antique point is excellent. We close on our house in a week so it may be a great time to go deal shopping.

aww man you just missed brimfield, the biggest antiques fair in the east. regardless, there are some antiques stores in concord i think near waldon that my spouse has been to that you could easily visit, but really from her reports you can find something antiquey almost anywhere in towns up there.

since you are in that area, if you can arrange it i would add check out the gropius/breuer house just to the south of waldon if you have time and like that classic modernist business (and maybe our 'ol cleveland homeboy philip johnson's glass house in new canaan, ct., too).

aww man you just missed brimfield, the biggest antiques fair in the east. regardless, there are some antiques stores in concord i think near waldon that my spouse has been to that you could easily visit, but really from her reports you can find something antiquey almost anywhere in towns up there.

since you are in that area, if you can arrange it i would add check out the gropius/breuer house just to the south of waldon if you have time and like that classic modernist business (and maybe our 'ol cleveland homeboy philip johnson's glass house in new canaan, ct., too).

Awesome! Thank you!

I've hiked up Mt. Monadnock, NH twice.  It's pretty easy and the definition of a "day hike". 

Last fall I got lost in North Carolina in that area where that dude hid from the FBI for 4-5 years.  I was only lost for about 30 minutes and only the second time I've done that.  Your mind really starts freaking out.  The woods suddenly become scary.  The story as how I got lost was pretty lengthy so I'm not going to bore people with it. 

My sister lives in NH, about 30 mins from Lincoln.

It's not too bad. We traversed it, can't remember which side we started on but we went across greeley pond and Osceola trail. If I remember correctly it's pretty steep most of the way.

We like to go to purple tomato when we are over there. It's a grocery store that makes sandwiches and some other stuff.

Polly's pancake is a good breakfast place, it's in Franconia.

Conway/ North Conway is cool too in terms of little towns.

This family from Cincinnati (Bellevue, KY, actually) with six kids ages 1-16 just finished the Appalachian Trail.  Their vlog has gotten virtually zero views, maybe 10,000 for their most-watched upload. 

Here we see them in knee-deep snow in the Smoky Mountains, spending the night in the Newfound Gap Rd. women's bathroom:

...so they end up getting intercepted the next morning (next episode) by child & family services, for obvious reasons.  It's really stupid to sleep and have your kids sleeping on the floor of a public restroom, to say nothing of hiking through a mountain range during winter weather. 

SPOILER: they somehow end up making it all the way to Maine without any major mishaps -- no illnesses, no injuries.  But the parents do get separated from the kids in the 100-mile wildnerness because they take the wrong fork (not the kids), which is totally unforgivable.   If you're going to die on this hike, that's the place where it happens.  The parents never seem to grasp how serious that situation was. 

My fiancé and I had a successful hiking trip. 

Pictures honestly cant even begin to do the foliage justice. Everyone should put the White Mountains during peak foliage on their bucket list.

Boston was fun too, but this took the cake.

Pictures are from the Osceola summit, parts of the trail, and a hidden mountainous pond called East Pond, which was worth the constant uphill hike. 

8E205BBA-379B-428D-8D9D-77A6AE5EF942.jpeg

3B0D7389-F818-4A36-A376-9BB6B6EFAED6.jpeg

17530120-C45B-4AA4-BCF8-E919EE01BF27.jpeg

1D8A4A45-27EE-402E-BFB9-77EE952BB396.jpeg

88C6735F-FF3E-4EEA-B766-99EC9A0DF517.jpeg

A9C8DD47-D4A1-449E-BFA1-E1AE40A82229.jpeg

B0E034B3-B947-4CB0-AB85-7542DDD5EC51.jpeg

Edited by YABO713
  • Like 3