noozer

Cleveland Burke Lakefront Airport - Ideas for Alternative Use

22 minutes ago, shack said:

As more wealthy individuals live in downtown Cleveland the convenience of having your own private jet nearby becomes greater. Not to mention all the wealthy out of state visitors who come for business or pleasure (like a Cavs game for example). I'm sure people like Jimmy Haslam or Dan Gilbert love the convenience of Burke. Even now I see plenty of corporate jets landing and taking off every ten to fifteen minutes whenever I visit the area. 

Anecdotal evidence. I’m not debating whether people land planes there. Is it the best use of the space? How little traffic there necessitates it’s existence?

Let’s turn Cleveland over to the billionaires? Why not build a city for us? You’ve got this all backwards.

6 minutes ago, PittsburgoDelendaEst said:

The idea that a chunk of land 1500 feet by 500 feet in area being limited to 5 stories due to an airport's flight path is somehow the one thing stopping Cleveland becoming a boomtown is laughable. 

I didn't include the other part of the "wasteland" you keep showing pictures of in that measurement above, because that's also known as the Port of Cleveland, has nothing to do with Burke's flight path, and is a major driver of the city's economy. We've been through this before; there were discussions about moving it east. Cost: $500 million.

Nah. I’m against moving it east. Keep it there, develop the land around it. Close the airport and watch value soar. That parcel you describe is a diamond in he rough.  

Edited by Cleveland Trust

13 minutes ago, Cleveland Trust said:

When?

Once the lakefront has some proven success by Browns Stadium and the river front projects are wrapped up in the next 5ish years hopefully.

6 minutes ago, Cleveland Trust said:

Anecdotal evidence. I’m not debating whether people land planes there. Is it the best use of the space? How little traffic there necessitates it’s existence?

Let’s turn Cleveland over to the billionaires? Why not build a city for us? You’ve got this all backwards.

Yeah, who needs their tax dollars?! 🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️🤦🏾‍♂️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, inlovewithCLE said:

If you really believe this....then I don’t know what to say.

Count up those Eaton jobs. American Greetings jobs that left town. Could have been on that lakefront where your precious limestone piles sit.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Cleveland Trust said:

They need our money. We have the power.

You do realize they can just vote with their feet and leave right? Taking tax dollars with them. WE (assuming you mean the city) don’t have any money. The money that city government (any government really) has comes from taxpayers. So it’s a simple equation: more taxpayers, more tax dollars. Less taxpayers, less tax dollars. Not rocket science, but I digress because I’m not going down another rabbit hole with you 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cleveland Trust said:

Count up those Eaton jobs. American Greetings jobs that left town. Could have been on that lakefront where your precious limestone piles sit.

Ok now I think you’re pranking the forum, because you cannot POSSIBLY believe that the existence of Burke is why we don’t have Eaton or American Greetings. Lmao. I refuse to believe that that you actually think that’s true. There’s no way on God’s green earth you actually believe that. You gotta be pranking us. (And btw, it would have never been built on Burke land BECAUSE ITS A FREAKIN LANDFILL. )

Edited by inlovewithCLE
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, inlovewithCLE said:

You do realize they can just vote with their feet and leave right? Taking tax dollars with them. WE (assuming you mean the city) don’t have any money. The money that city government (any government really) has comes from taxpayers. So it’s a simple equation: more taxpayers, more tax dollars. Less taxpayers, less tax dollars. Not rocket science, but I digress because I’m not going down another rabbit hole with you 

Not my argument at all. We could  have had 5,000 jobs that left town plus half of those 271 Progressive Insurance buildings if it wasn’t for Pay to Play stonewalling on (in part) our failing Burke airport. 

Burke’s demise was predicted by smarter people than me 30 years ago. It is time to close it. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, inlovewithCLE said:

Ok now I think you’re pranking the forum, because you cannot POSSIBLY believe that the existence of Burke is why we don’t have Eaton or American Greetings. Lmao. I refuse to believe that that you actually think that’s true. There’s no way on God’s green earth you actually believe that. You gotta be pranking us. (And btw, it would have never been built on Burke land BECAUSE ITS A FREAKIN LANDFILL. )

Hur dur! Go to Crocker Park. That was developed by Stark after abandoning Cle Pesht. That is what he wanted on the lakefront!  

• Haha 1
  • Poison 1

^Imagine if we also closed down Hopkins--we'd have lots of open land to develop--Downtown and the west side. After all, we have the County Airport, that while it can't even handle the larger aircraft from Burke, is itself under capacity which must mean it take all kinds of planes. 

• Like 1

This thread is being unlocked, but we will be watching it.  So don't be jerks!

• Like 4

On 7/17/2019 at 1:16 PM, Cleveland Trust said:

Hur dur! Go to Crocker Park. That was developed by Stark after abandoning Cle Pesht. That is what he wanted on the lakefront!  

Crocker Park development started before Pesht was announced. I remember it because I broke the stories for both when I worked at Sun Newspapers. 😉

• Like 2

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

7 hours ago, KJP said:

Crocker Park development started before Pesht was announced. I remember it because I broke the stories for both when I worked at Sun Newspapers. 😉

I believe Crocker Park *opened* (October 29, 2004) before the first hint Stark gave of a plan for the warehouse district (March 5, 2005).

Edited by jam40jeff
  • Like 2

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/08/should-burke-lakefront-airport-close-coalition-keeps-important-question-alive-steven-litt.html

It seems like we get these regurgitated articles every 4 months with the same back and forth. That said, 34,000 flights in 2018 compared to 100,000 in 2000? I wonder how long people would notice it was closed if they just x'd the runways and called it a day. 

Edited by TBideon

1 hour ago, TBideon said:

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2019/08/should-burke-lakefront-airport-close-coalition-keeps-important-question-alive-steven-litt.html

It seems like we get these regurgitated articles every 4 months with the same back and forth. That said, 34,000 flights in 2018 compared to 100,000 in 2000? I wonder how long people would notice it was closed if they just x'd the runways and called it a day. 

Labor Day would be quieter. 

What do you suppose the fines would be for X-ing the runways like Chicago did?  Cleveland better put that money aside before they roll the 'dozers.  Just shift some of our surplus, no problem.

On 8/11/2019 at 2:35 PM, Foraker said:

Labor Day would be quieter. 

What do you suppose the fines would be for X-ing the runways like Chicago did?  Cleveland better put that money aside before they roll the 'dozers.  Just shift some of our surplus, no problem.

Labor day would be quieter?  When an estimated 100,000 people gather to watch the airshow at Burke?  

4 hours ago, Cleburger said:

Labor day would be quieter?  When an estimated 100,000 people gather to watch the airshow at Burke?  

If you remove Burke, there will be no airshow, dude.

34 minutes ago, Foraker said:

If you remove Burke, there will be no airshow, dude.

Sorry i read your post differently as in "Labor Day would be a good day to bulldoze runways", chica.   

Burke isn't useless.  Come on, Delta just starting flying out of Burke.  Perhaps Burke will be a new Delta hub!

But seriously, I don't know why a Delta jet was there.  A charter perhaps?

20190713_134407.jpg

• Like 1

Probably the Red Sox's plane.

So if Burke was closed, the desire to put housing there is backward. Put the housing where the port is, with some high-rise stuff and a public edge to the lake. Move the port to Burke. Make the rest a park.

• Like 6

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!" -- Lady Liberty

4 minutes ago, surfohio said:

Identity: DAL8878     Type: B752    Origin: Boston Logan Intl (KBOS)       Arr: Sun 07:34PM EDTSun         Dep: 08:55PM EDT

https://flightaware.com/live/airport/KBKL/arrivals?;offset=40;order=actualarrivaltime;sort=DESC

Oh, good call on checking the Indians schedule.  I took this on July 13, and the Twins were in town that weekend.  Since Delta inherited its MSP hub from Northwest Airlines, it all makes sense now.

2 hours ago, KJP said:

So if Burke was closed, the desire to put housing there is backward. Put the housing where the port is, with some high-rise stuff and a public edge to the lake. Move the port to Burke. Make the rest a park.

If the port would move to Burke, they would lose their rail access, no?  

15 hours ago, KJP said:

Agreed!

I would make the port a portion of Burke, with some parkland, and maybe the western edge nearest Downtown could also get some housing development.

18 hours ago, Cleburger said:

If the port would move to Burke, they would lose their rail access, no?  

A new rail access, bridging over the Shoreway, would be needed.