Sign in to follow this  
ColDayMan

Cincinnati: 2021 Mayoral Election

Smitherman on his mayoral run: 'I don’t play with the citizens of Cincinnati'

Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman made his run for Cincinnati mayor official on Tuesday, filing paperwork with the Hamilton County Board of Elections and taking a few jabs at a potential opponent.

The filing changed Smitherman’s campaign committee from one aimed at getting him elected to the City Council to one getting him elected as mayor. It also designates his wife, Pamela, who is suffering from cancer, as treasurer. Smitherman is barred by term limits from seeking another City Council term after serving since 2011.

The filing guarantees a long campaign for an election that is more than 38 months away, with Smitherman, an independent, and Councilman P.G. Sittenfeld, a Democrat, the two most-talked-about likely candidates. Incumbent Mayor John Cranley, the Democrat who appointed Smitherman to be vice mayor, is barred by term limits from running for a third term.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2018/08/21/smitherman-on-his-mayoral-run-i-don-t-play-with.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

Someone might want to get to work on digging through archives of his cable show and radio appearances. I'm guessing there are a few interesting sound clips.

As @taestell reported in the Christopher Smitherman topic, it turns out he won't be running for mayor in 2021.

Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman has dropped out of the 2021 race for Cincinnati mayor, citing the need to spend time with his family a year after the death of his wife, Pamela.

“As a widowed father of five, I have a higher calling at this time,” Smitherman said in a news release. “I am determined to give my children as much love and attention as I can. Running for mayor would make that impossible.”

I'm not aware of any other candidates outside of PG Sittenfeld (and I'm sure Jim Berns will run as a Libertarian again). Has anyone else announced their candidacy? Is this a sign that the Republican Party is going to put forward a nominee?

I think Greg Landsman will also run.

I was 99% sure that we were going to have a general election with PG vs. Smitherman, but now it's fairly up in the air. The Republicans could decide to run a different candidate (Smitherman was technically an independent but we all know that he was the unofficial Republican candidate) and I also wouldn't be surprised if some other Democrats that aren't currently on City Council decided to enter the race. Because of our non-partisan primary system, there is really no way of telling which candidates will end up in the top two slots and make it to the general election. We could end up with a moderate Dem vs. a Republican, or a progressive Dem vs. a moderate Dem. It's very strange.

Maybe we see the return of Charlie Winburn?

Other possible candidates are Eric Kearney, Dale Mallory, and Cecil Thomas, maybe?

I don't really see Amy Murray running, but anything's possible.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 5:35 PM, ryanlammi said:

It's possible because Smitherman just made a point of lobbing an insult at Winburn last week regarding the proposed sale of the Southern Railroad back in 2009 or 2010.  

45 minutes ago, taestell said:

Amy Murray is definitely out now that she has a job in the Deep State.

There will likely be token competition for mayor but it is going to come from PG's left flank. If you think about it, it only makes sense. THe GOP is only strong enough to muster 1-2 seats on council and typically will be towards the lower end of the elected members in votes. PG is a liberal but is a big proponent of business and development. He is a Martin O'Malley type Democrat who believes cutting edge technology and investment utilized by government can solve all problems and manage things efficiently, etc. He has a social justice bent, but he embraces the power brokers in town. A GOP candidate, while maybe more appealing to the power brokers, is DOA campaign (part of the reason why Smitherman is not running). Business would take the centrist Democrat who could win over a GOP candidate who aligns with their interest who will certainly lose. Therefore, you will not get someone to the right of PG because he takes that lane up. The only avenue is someone who can out progressive PG on the left. While they are typically not there now, it would not surprise me to see Rob Richardson try again or maybe even Roxanne Qualls (doubt it but you never know).

Alecia Reese would be a compelling choice should she lose the Commissioner Primary but she tends to be in PG's lane without as much money, but connection to the african american leaders. She is probably a little more to the right of PG on he whole, but she could also make things interesting. IMO

On 1/15/2020 at 5:35 PM, ryanlammi said:

Other possible candidates are Eric Kearney, Dale Mallory, and Cecil Thomas, maybe?

I don't really see Amy Murray running, but anything's possible.

Cant See Kearney, he is too centrist, plus with his wife on council now, she is going to have the electoral funds going her way.

Mallory could be interesting (but he may be comfortable as a judge) it is a less stressful gig.

4 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

Some articles speculated the Mark Mallory had been mentioned as a top name.

Can he run again? I know he was term limited 8 years ago, but does that only require him to sit out a cycle and he can re-run or can he not run again for mayor?

What is he doing now?

36 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Can he run again? I know he was term limited 8 years ago, but does that only require him to sit out a cycle and he can re-run or can he not run again for mayor?

What is he doing now?

Do you really want to know............?

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2018/02/02/how-serious-fc-cincinnati-west-end-club-hired-mark-mallory-do-outreach/300304002/

2 hours ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

Apparently he can using the same rule Charlie Luken did to serve two 8-year terms. https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2020/01/15/smitherman-will-not-run-for-mayor.html