KJP

Lakewood: One Lakewood Place

2 hours ago, KJP said:

I'm curious about why the demolition activity I photographed and shared two posts earlier on Feb. 13 represents the extent of demolition progress they've made since. In other words, demolition progress stopped the day (or maybe one day later) I took those photos.

The biggest question is whether they are running into financing issues with the RE market softening for such projects. I do love the project and location. I drove past it a few weeks back and thought the proposed project would be a good asset to the area. Although, I was sad to see Lakewood Hospital close as I had fond memories of that place.

Cool design but what's with the brown areas on the facade of the large building? Is this a look that many people like? I've always been of the opinion that mixing a brick facade look with a contemporary glass and steel look doesn't look very good and that it would look nicer if they went fully one way or the other.

I can confirm that my intuition was correct. They are completing interior demo of hazardous material. 

This plan still needs final approval from the city. It appears that the new plan is pretty much the same but it does a better job of scaling from Detroit as it heads towards the residential part of Belle.

I cannot remember if this was true in the last rendering but the garage is totally wrapped as well. The plaza will remind you of Perk Plaza if Perk had a water feature. 

• Like 3

As per the Lakewood Observer FWIW, the developer allegedly wasn’t aware of the presence of an underground river. And more interestingly, the entire project was allegedly a conspiracy, predicated to shift money toward gubernatorial candidate Ed Fitzgerald. 

[popcorn emoji]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2019 at 12:03 PM, surfohio said:

As per the Lakewood Observer FWIW, the developer allegedly wasn’t aware of the presence of an underground river. And more interestingly, the entire project was allegedly a conspiracy, predicated to shift money toward gubernatorial candidate Ed Fitzgerald. 

[popcorn emoji]

underground river AKA culverted stream.  Lakewood Observer used to be informative but is now a conspiracy theory tabloid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, freefourur said:

underground river AKA culverted stream.  Lakewood Observer used to be informative but is now a conspiracy theory tabloid. 

I pleaded to Jim O'Bryan to at least stop calling this project a "strip mall." To no avail lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wasn't there a plan to keep the Lakewood Hospital curved sandstone corner blocks and use them as a new entrance to the plaza, b/c it isn't in any of the new renderings? or was that a competitors plan to pay homage to what used to stand on this parcel?

Just now, WhatUp said:

Wasn't there a plan to keep the Lakewood Hospital curved sandstone corner blocks and use them as a new entrance to the plaza, b/c it isn't in any of the new renderings? or was that a competitors plan to pay homage to what used to stand on this parcel?

I remember that too. Think they used that to appeal to the Lakewood sentimental voter.  Brickhaus pulled the same thing on the church on Lake and 117th. I wouldn’t expect it. 

In case anyone wanted to see the FINAL(approved) renderings of the hospital redevelopment.The Architectural Review Board put a lot of (volunteer) work into this....

62021364_10162123222095227_4979538555601

61805422_10162123222170227_3132908665082

• Like 3

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

16 minutes ago, marty15 said:

Wish they would’ve opted for the high rise. 

Me too. But I think it'll turn out nice the way it's designed. 

• Like 1

So they are NOT opening up windows and doorways on the side of the existing building. That’s very unfortunate. 

^ Why did the original renderings show that building with a refaced wall?  It was shown with new retail frontage (large windows and at least one door) facing the new square. I was very excited for that part of the project. 

• Like 1

Just now, ethlaw said:

^ Why did the original renderings show that building with a refaced wall?  It was shown with new retail frontage (large windows and at least one door) facing the new square. I was very excited for that part of the project. 

All I know is that the current phase of development does not include the Curtis Block. 

7 minutes ago, Klingaling87 said:

Which part? The Curtis block isn’t part of this project. 

It is part of the project. It’s been owned by LHA for years. I believe the earlier renderings showed a 3rd floor added to Curtis Block.

• Like 1

The existing old portion of the hospital is 5 floors. This is six. What are we really gaining in all this? I always thought the old portion, or at least facade should be salvaged for this. Plenty of room to develop around and behind it. 

A disappointment  compared to the previous renderings which never previously featured a prominent blank wall. The high rise version would’ve been way cool... 

The Curtis Block will be dealt with at a later date.  It is a complex project with many moving parts and so the focus has been on making the rest of it work and folding in the historic building later.  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, GCity25 said:

The Curtis Block will be dealt with at a later date.  It is a complex project with many moving parts and so the focus has been on making the rest of it work and folding in the historic building later.  

Thank you

• Like 4

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."-Voltaire

Lakewood City Council expected to approve $72 million One Lakewood Place project

Updated 7:23 AM; Today 6:28 AM

By John Benson, special to cleveland.com

LAKEWOOD, Ohio -- City Council early next month is expected to approve the proposed $72 million One Lakewood Place. The major mixed-use project is set for the city-owned former Lakewood Hospital site located at the southwest corner of Detroit and Belle avenues.

“We’re at the final approval stage for basically what amounts to a rezoning of the property to a planned development (PD) district designation in our code,” City Council President Sam O’Leary said. “The underlying PD has been approved by our planning commission and architectural review board.

The city council president noted the entire process has been resident-driven with community-visioning sessions through various boards, commissions and public meetings.

“We’ve had really a number of opportunities for robust conversation with adjacent residents and businesses to make sure the development is reflective of what they want to see and sensitive to what they need,” O’Leary said.

https://www.cleveland.com/community/2019/06/lakewood-city-council-expected-to-approve-72-million-one-lakewood-place-project.html

• Like 3

Just thought I would update this thread and let everyone know that half of the old Cleveland Clinic building has been demoed. I know this project is shovel ready and I think a late September early October groundbreaking is realistic. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lakewood Hospital is almost entirely demolished. Thanks for serving the community. I wish Cleveland Clinic would have kept it open and fully staffed. Now, the next chapter begins, One Lakewood Place. It is the largest development in the city since the Lakewood Center North high-rise was built in the 1970s. And this  is just one of several significant developments that are planned for Lakewood.

FB_IMG_1565958852966.jpg

FB_IMG_1565958858790.jpg

FB_IMG_1565958861998.jpg

FB_IMG_1565958865507.jpg

FB_IMG_1565958868899.jpg

Edited by KJP

7 minutes ago, Cleveland said:

Thank god that building is gone! On to bigger and better things! Wish Lakewood would have went with the taller building proposal. 

And a better overall design.

1 hour ago, Clefan98 said:

And a better overall design.

I think the design is good. I also think they significantly upgraded the plaza area, which will be a big boon for public events and gatherings in downtown Lakewood. I know light up Lakewood will be moved over to there. 

Edited by KFM44107
  • Like 1