Oldmanladyluck

Cleveland: Tower at Erieview & Galleria Renovation

2 hours ago, KJP said:

Eighth Historic District aims to bring investment in one of the few places downtown areas without many projects

Posted: 6:49 AM, Aug 09, 2019

Updated: 8:17 AM, Aug 09, 2019

By: Kevin Barry

CLEVELAND — The soon-to-be created Erieview Historic District is supposed to bring new investment to an important piece of Cleveland's history that hasn't seen the revitalization that other districts have.

A half century ago, the construction project that gave Cleveland the Erieview Tower was supposed to be the first part of a much larger vision.

"They probably were way too ambitious with what they envisioned," said Downtown Cleveland Alliance Executive Vice President Tom Yablonsky.

MORE:

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/originals/eighth-historic-district-aims-to-bring-investment-in-one-of-the-few-places-downtown-areas-without-many-projects

Wow, that slider they have for the One Cleveland Center garage is maybe the most depressing Cleveland before and after picture I’ve ever seen.

Edited by bumsquare
Spelling
  • Like 5
  • Sad 4

I was going to say the same thing @bumsquare... I have always hated that bunker of a garage but I never truly knew what was there before.  Just awful.  That land is for sale so technically someone could wrap the garage and improve what we have now, but knowing what was there before makes me sick.

11 minutes ago, RE Developer In Training said:

I still see a for sale sign on that AT&T building on the corner of 9th and lakeside.  This could maybe get that rolling.  I still think it would be neat to add the penthouse on top of the erieview tower, but my guess is that wouldn't qualify under any historic tax credits?

The owner, Somera Road, is trying to market it to large tenants. 

Alto, a Turkish firm that is renovating the JHB buildings on Euclid, owns 55 Erieview Plaza which is located between 45 Erieview (the vacant AT&T building) and the Galleria/Erieview Tower. I'm hearing that Alto wants to renovate 55 Erieview with apartments.

• Like 1

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

The irony of calling that area historic considering the acres and acres of actual historic buildings that were demolished to make it the miserable, auto-oriented hellhole it is now.

• Like 7

I love mid-century modern office buildings. The Tower at Erieview is one of my favorites in the city. My love is for the aesthetics and profiles of the towers though, not the way they interact with the streets. If this new historic district can help upgrade and fill these buildings, that's the first step in bringing in the new construction. New construction, like wrapping the One Cleveland Center garage, as long as it's done right, can give this area the vibrant streetscape we enjoy in other areas. Everyone wins with that. But yes, terribly ironic that we are fifty years later and can now talk about bringing back the pedestrian interaction that existed previously. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mrclifton88 said:

Is this still happening?  Nice renderings

Hard to know for sure when a Kassouf is running it. But apparently he's still trying.

• Thanks 1

"Your community is your commodity, my commodity & everyone's commodity." -- borrowing on silly slogans in Cleveland's Ohio City

I remember a few years back when there wer drawings of adding a few floors to the top of the building.

It is probably here upthread somewhere. I wish they would do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MyPhoneDead said:

Wouldn't that belong to Terminal Tower?

Terminal Tower apartments are all on lower floors.  I think the 14th floor is the highest.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, simplythis said:

I remember a few years back when there wer drawings of adding a few floors to the top of the building.

It is probably here upthread somewhere. I wish they would do that.

On 2/23/2019 at 11:52 PM, WhatUp said:

http://www.eberhardarchitects.com/view_project?project_id=61

This look s pretty old to me, but it wasn't posted here yet.

Wouldn't it be fun if this company came in and added the potential 5 new floors to the building? I never would have thought of it, but they said it could be done.

Does anyone know if Kassouf might still renovate some of the building to residential since the office market is changing? maybe he needs those new floors!😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When I  look at some of the very tall new (and Supertall) residential buildings popping up in  NY and Chicago, it makes me wonder, “Could Cleveland support one true skyscraping residential tower?”  (Meaning more than 500’ high) With the recent success of many conversions and the impressive success of One University Circle, the Beacon and, I’m certain,  The Lumen, I think a new  true skyline- changing residential tower is more possible than ever before. ( And I mean that, in addition to a possible Lumen 2).  The  renderings  shared by “Whatup” last year, depicting an addition atop Erieview are supercool. It would provide a game changing status to the sometimes under appreciated  tower. I have no idea how prohibitive such construction costs would be and if they would be deal-breaking.  But it’s great just to see the renderings for residential conversion of the current upper floors.  It’s a sleek, polished look and those views will obviously be sensational.  With the kind of roll Cleveland has been on, I’d actually be surprised if that conversion doesn’t happen. 

Edited by CleveFan
  • Like 1

I'd be amazed if they could pull off the residential conversion, let alone add floors to the top of Erieview. Parking lot owners seldom succeed as real estate developers.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KJP said:

I'd be amazed if they could pull off the residential conversion, let alone add floors to the top of Erieview. Parking lot owners seldom succeed as real estate developers.

Especially this particular parking lot owner. 

• Like 1

http://www.eberhardarchitects.com/view_project?project_id=61

This look s pretty old to me, but it wasn't posted here yet.

Wouldn't it be fun if this company came in and added the potential 5 new floors to the building? I never would have thought of it, but they said it could be done.

Does anyone know if Kassouf might still renovate some of the building to residential since the office market is changing? maybe he needs those new floors!😉

I love the idea of adding 5 residential floors, adding 60-75 ft in height, which would take Erieview from the 9th tallest in the state (at 529 ft) to the 6th tallest, beating out the Carew in Cincinnati at 574ft. Of course I also realize it isn’t going to happen and I shouldn’t get my hopes up; it’s just fun to imagine. 

(in that vein, 200 Public Square would only need a way to add 3 ft in height to become the third tallest in the state.) 

On 1/21/2020 at 1:22 PM, Htsguy said:

Terminal Tower apartments are all on lower floors.  I think the 14th floor is the highest.

For some reason I thought it was the opposite my mistake 😂