Sign in to follow this  
tastybunns

Accents

8 hours ago, Dougal said:

Not sure how you are pronouncing "ope", but try it the Spanish way (OH-pah) and the Texans should understand perfectly.

As a Spanish speaker, I've never heard that word.

Due to work I've had to work in Dallas a lot over the past year.  There are big differences in "dialect" and some words that are spoken make me raise an eyebrow.  I also speak really fast compared to them.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:15 PM, tastybunns said:

I cant be the only one who says ope when I accidentally bump into someone...
Down here in Texas I say ope, and they look at me like I have a third eye...

Do you mean "oops"?

17 hours ago, Dougal said:

I hear it all the time, esp. with Argentines.  https://www.spanishdict.com/translate/opah

I asked my Grand Mother and Mother about this word, this morning.  They both said it's more a S.American "phrase" as noted in your link. My GM said that in general it's more like "whoops" or "surprised".  It's strange I've spoken Spanish every day of my life and I'm shocked i've not known about this word/expression until now.

• Like 1

Ive been living in Texas for the past few months, I've been looking out for some deep south accents here, but they are surprisingly rarer than I have anticipated. There is a bit of a southern draw to quite a bit of people, but nothing like deep deep south. Nothing like Walker Texas Ranger or Clint Eastwood... And certainly nothing like Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

image.thumb.png.22fb0255e21d09af7488ad42cfd51187.png

Edited by tastybunns

On 6/12/2019 at 9:58 PM, tastybunns said:

Ive been living in Texas for the past few months, I've been looking out for some deep south accents here, but they are surprisingly rarer than I have anticipated. There is a bit of a southern draw to quite a bit of people, but nothing like deep deep south. Nothing like Walker Texas Ranger or Clint Eastwood... And certainly nothing like Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

image.thumb.png.22fb0255e21d09af7488ad42cfd51187.png

I work in Dallas.  I hear the southern Drawl.  It's just like J.R Ewing.  The words "Heeey" and "y'all" works my last damn nerve!   I even detect the Tex-Mex accents when speaking in Spanish to people.  They instantly know I'm Puerto Rican, as sometimes I forget to slow down when speaking in Spanish.