Accents

tastybunns

8 hours ago, Dougal said:

Not sure how you are pronouncing "ope", but try it the Spanish way (OH-pah) and the Texans should understand perfectly.

As a Spanish speaker, I've never heard that word.

Due to work I've had to work in Dallas a lot over the past year.  There are big differences in "dialect" and some words that are spoken make me raise an eyebrow.  I also speak really fast compared to them.

On 4/7/2019 at 6:15 PM, tastybunns said:

I cant be the only one who says ope when I accidentally bump into someone...
Down here in Texas I say ope, and they look at me like I have a third eye...

Do you mean "oops"?

17 hours ago, Dougal said:

I hear it all the time, esp. with Argentines.  https://www.spanishdict.com/translate/opah

I asked my Grand Mother and Mother about this word, this morning.  They both said it's more a S.American "phrase" as noted in your link. My GM said that in general it's more like "whoops" or "surprised".  It's strange I've spoken Spanish every day of my life and I'm shocked i've not known about this word/expression until now.

• Like 1

• ColDayMan changed the title to Accents
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest jmecklenborg

Jesus.  Feast on these circa-1980 NYC accents...the band of course, but then all those damn kids:

• 1 month later...

Ive been living in Texas for the past few months, I've been looking out for some deep south accents here, but they are surprisingly rarer than I have anticipated. There is a bit of a southern draw to quite a bit of people, but nothing like deep deep south. Nothing like Walker Texas Ranger or Clint Eastwood... And certainly nothing like Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

image.thumb.png.22fb0255e21d09af7488ad42cfd51187.png

Edited by tastybunns

On 6/12/2019 at 9:58 PM, tastybunns said:

Ive been living in Texas for the past few months, I've been looking out for some deep south accents here, but they are surprisingly rarer than I have anticipated. There is a bit of a southern draw to quite a bit of people, but nothing like deep deep south. Nothing like Walker Texas Ranger or Clint Eastwood... And certainly nothing like Doug Dimmadome, owner of the Dimmsdale Dimmadome.

image.thumb.png.22fb0255e21d09af7488ad42cfd51187.png

I work in Dallas.  I hear the southern Drawl.  It's just like J.R Ewing.  The words "Heeey" and "y'all" works my last damn nerve!   I even detect the Tex-Mex accents when speaking in Spanish to people.  They instantly know I'm Puerto Rican, as sometimes I forget to slow down when speaking in Spanish.

• 8 months later...

I listened to a blogger from cleveland.com review online some 'romantic restaurants' around town. She has the worst case of vocal fry I've heard outside of parody, and some of those regional vowels are killers. Is this what all young women in Cleveland sound like?  (Sorry to say I don't know many young women.) If she wants a larger audience, she needs a vocal coach.

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.

The longer I live in Cincinnati the more distinctly I hear the eastern Iowa accent (maybe it's just a Minnesota lite accent)

This guy has the classic one you hear, if you are interested you could listen in a bit. It's kind of it's own accent, not like the Michigan accent but not as pronounced as the Minnesota accent IMO.

For some reason it isn't as distinct in central Iowa but then starts up again in Northern Iowa and into NW Iowa where it is more like a Minnesota accent.

http://www.kgymradio.com/episode/2-25-20-2/

• 6 months later...
Guest jmecklenborg
Just now, jmecklenborg said:

Listen to this kid's

Wow, there's even a trace of it in the girl's voice.  You can tell they tried to get her to speak midwestern and then at some point threw in the towel. 

I've watched enough '80s footage to notice that not much effort was made to mask those Tri-State accents back then. They didn't care as much about that in the '80s as they did in the mid-late '90s when everybody had to start paying attention to the South. The '80s was all about L.A. and NYC and forget everything else unless you're selling seed or insurance. Plus, the local camera crews in those cities were far better equipped than in middle America. Some news stations in smaller cities were still shooting 8mm film in 1980.

Guest jmecklenborg
11 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

The '80s was all about L.A. and NYC

But meanwhile there was still a lot more distinct local culture in all U.S. cities. 

11 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

And California gets it's own commercials for a lot of things, like cars. A car commercial in the rest of the country shows green everything, or at least a mix of Middle America. One in California shows California.

Texas also gets its own commercials and even truck types.

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

I remember talking with a buddy and we came up with Ohio trucks. They come rusted already so you don't feel bad, the beds are super low to make it easier to fill them up with scrap metal, 2wd only to save money, aggressive tires only in the rear etc.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, jmecklenborg said:

But meanwhile there was still a lot more distinct local culture in all U.S. cities. 

That's when you picked your talk show. If you wanted the Cleveland perspective you watched Donohue, Chicago was Oprah, Cincinnati had Jerry Springer (the first few years when it was a serious show), Columbus didn't have anything so it defaulted to Cleveland (as most things worked for Columbus in those days).

Guest jmecklenborg
2 hours ago, GCrites80s said:

I have one of their records.

Most of those "oldies" they are playing in 1981 are the equivalent of 2001 music today.

The Macarena is to them what LaBamba is to me or you.  

On 5/7/2019 at 2:19 AM, jmecklenborg said:

Jesus.  Feast on these circa-1980 NYC accents...the band of course, but then all those damn kids:

Here's the same host working on a show here in Columbus two years prior. Columbus Goes Bananaz got moved out to New York and became America Goes Bananaz and the kids' show from the KISS clip. Hear some vintage Columbus accents when they talk to the kids at 3:41. But alas, those vintage Columbus accents sound more like West Virginia than expected -- or as expected.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Toddguy said:

Anyone else say "reddup" as in redd up the table? Anyone else grow up hearing that phrase?

Re "redd up the table,"  I'm from Cleveland and have never ever heard that phrase before. I would have guess it meant setting the table--getting it "ready". But I looked it up and it means the opposite---it means cleaning up the table AFTER a meal.

19 hours ago, w28th said:

^its a Pennsylvania thing.

8 hours ago, Pugu said:

Re "redd up the table,"  I'm from Cleveland and have never ever heard that phrase before. I would have guess it meant setting the table--getting it "ready". But I looked it up and it means the opposite---it means cleaning up the table AFTER a meal.

I had never heard it used outside my family until it was on an episode of "Law and Order" when Goren notes when someone uses it and that it is from western Pennsylvania. Our family migrated form Germany in the 1700's and slowly moved westward from NYC across PA to northeast Ohio settling in and around a town called Girard, Then we moved south and southwest(eventually establishing another node in Oklahoma). A relative from Hubbard tracked all of our family genealogy back in the day.

I just thought it was an unusual Ohio thing until I saw that episode. I was just wondering if it also had spread into Ohio or was really centered in western PA and primarily never left there. 

Occasionally as an adult I have used it myself without thinking about it.  I have never heard of anyone using it outside of that TV episode.

*having looked at it I guess it did not come from the German part of the family...hmmmm.

Edited by Toddguy

Classic ‘70s Cleveland mafia folks...good old school working class ethnic CLE accents throughout this video...back when CLE was the bombing capitol of the U.S...the Cleveland Car Bomb era.

Danny Green had a classic CLE..little bit Great Lakes, little bit East coast

A few classic CLE movies are Kill the Irishman (Danny Green), Welcme to Collinwood, and way back to The Fortune Cookie (Walter Matthau-Jack Lemmon).

https://youtu.be/mnY6-3akCsU

i grew up in working class CLE, folks in Philly thought I was from Boston...took a while to break the whole “so both a’yuzz are going” and “all’yuzz” or “the both a’yuzz”...still can go there, especially if in a heated discussion or argument lol

Edited by CLENYC
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, CLENYC said:

Classic ‘70s Cleveland mafia folks...good old school working class ethnic CLE accents throughout this video...back when CLE was the bombing capitol of the U.S...the Cleveland Car Bomb era.

Danny Green had a classic CLE..little bit Great Lakes, little bit East coast

A few classic CLE movies are Kill the Irishman (Danny Green), Welcme to Collinwood, and way back to The Fortune Cookie (Walter Matthau-Jack Lemmon).

https://youtu.be/mnY6-3akCsU

i grew up in working class CLE, folks in Philly thought I was from Boston...took a while to break the whole “so both a’yuzz are going” and “all’yuzz” or “the both a’yuzz”...still can go there, especially if in a heated discussion or argument lol

Interesting(and surprisingly graphic for youtube)video.

• 6 months later...

Trivia:  What is the local pronunciation of CSU's Wolstein Arena. Listening to CSU2.0, I heard the school's head (from Nassau County, Long Island, but without the NYC accent) say WALL-steen.  I always guessed something like WOOL-steen.

Es war ein heisser Nacht in Apalachicola als die asbest Vorhang gefällt.