Sign in to follow this  
KJP

The Republican Party

A majority of Republicans believe that the media is the enemy of the state but the real threat to freedom is college kids protesting against speech.

That's SCARY! How can this possibly end well for the USA??

Only 37% of Republican voters say the news media is "an important part of democracy" vs. a majority, 51%, who says it's "the enemy of the people," via new Quinnipiac poll today.

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

Hot take: Jesus was VERY SPECIFIC about helping the poor.

I just don't see how Ryan can claim to worship someone then IGNORE PRECISELY WHAT HE SAID.

https://t.co/DhjL62wlcu

Because he really worships Ayn Rand, one of the most strident atheists of the past century (and also among its most overrated philosophers).  Jesus is just someone he's happy to cite when they coincidentally agree.  But there pretty clearly isn't a word in the Bible that ever made him reconsider something he would otherwise have believed.

EDIT: The ousted chaplain is Catholic.  The seminal teaching on capital and labor in Catholic theology remains the Gilded Age (1891) encyclical, Rerum Novarum (Of the New Things, as the Industrial Revolution was in full steam at that point), and it was followed up later by Populorum Progressio (Of Human Development).

http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_15051891_rerum-novarum.html

http://w2.vatican.va/content/paul-vi/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-vi_enc_26031967_populorum.html

The chaplain's call for neutrality was, quite frankly, softballing formal Catholic social teaching.  If he was going to get asked to resign anyway, he might as well have given the full version (PP 47):

It is not just a question of eliminating hunger and reducing poverty. It is not just a question of fighting wretched conditions, though this is an urgent and necessary task. It involves building a human community where men can live truly human lives, free from discrimination on account of race, religion or nationality, free from servitude to other men or to natural forces which they cannot yet control satisfactorily. It involves building a human community where liberty is not an idle word, where the needy Lazarus can sit down with the rich man at the same banquet table.

On the part of the rich man, it calls for great generosity, willing sacrifice and diligent effort. Each man must examine his conscience, which sounds a new call in our present times. Is he prepared to support, at his own expense, projects and undertakings designed to help the needy? Is he prepared to pay higher taxes so that public authorities may expand their efforts in the work of development? Is he prepared to pay more for imported goods, so that the foreign producer may make a fairer profit? Is he prepared to emigrate from his homeland if necessary and if he is young, in order to help the emerging nations?

Then again, powerful and comfortable people like Ryan have a history of crucifying people who talk like that for too long, especially if they start to get any popular traction.

^ I agree with you 100%. But I would add that not only is Rand an overrated philosopher she is also not a very good writer.

She originally intended some of her publications to be Sci-Fi

^ I agree with you 100%. But I would add that not only is Rand an overrated philosopher she is also not a very good writer.

That may be true but she is not a very good writer IMO.  I think her books make more sense as Sci-Fi it's just weird to see politicians embrace her as some political philosopher. 

Good news for Republicans - the GOP doesn't really need a whole lot of support from millennials in order to win bigly, given their advantages in other age brackets (the ones who vote). Any little bump in support or lack of enthusiasm for Democrats among young people is a good sign:

Exclusive: Democrats lose ground with millennials - Reuters/Ipsos poll

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-millennials/democrats-lose-ground-with-millennials-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1I10YH

MANCHESTER, N.H. (Reuters) - Enthusiasm for the Democratic Party is waning among millennials as its candidates head into the crucial midterm congressional elections, according to the Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll.

The online survey of more than 16,000 registered voters ages 18 to 34 shows their support for Democrats over Republicans for Congress slipped by about 9 percentage points over the past two years, to 46 percent overall. And they increasingly say the Republican Party is a better steward of the economy...

Terry Hood, 34, an African-American who works at a Dollar General store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and took this year’s poll, said he voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election...

“It sounds strange to me to say this about the Republicans, but they’re helping with even the small things,” Hood said in a phone interview. “They’re taking less taxes out of my paycheck. I notice that.”

Good news for Republicans - the GOP doesn't really need a whole lot of support from millennials in order to win bigly, given their advantages in other age brackets (the ones who vote). Any little bump in support or lack of enthusiasm for Democrats among young people is a good sign:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-millennials/democrats-lose-ground-with-millennials-reuters-ipsos-poll-idUSKBN1I10YH

MANCHESTER, N.H. (Reuters) - Enthusiasm for the Democratic Party is waning among millennials as its candidates head into the crucial midterm congressional elections, according to the Reuters/Ipsos national opinion poll.

The online survey of more than 16,000 registered voters ages 18 to 34 shows their support for Democrats over Republicans for Congress slipped by about 9 percentage points over the past two years, to 46 percent overall. And they increasingly say the Republican Party is a better steward of the economy...

Terry Hood, 34, an African-American who works at a Dollar General store in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and took this year’s poll, said he voted for Democrat Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election...

“It sounds strange to me to say this about the Republicans, but they’re helping with even the small things,” Hood said in a phone interview. “They’re taking less taxes out of my paycheck. I notice that.”

No need to worry about anything GOP.  keep doing what you've been doing. 

Republicans have been great at their messaging, especially compared to Democrats. 2016 marked a huge shift in which the less educated people are quickly falling in line behind the Republican Party's much simpler talking points. I'm not trying to be insulting. This is simply a fact which is backed up by extensive exit polling. The least educated people used to lean toward the Democrats, then it was nearly even for a while, but starting around Obama's 2nd term this demographic has shifted heavily toward Republicans.

That may be true but she is not a very good writer IMO.  I think her books make more sense as Sci-Fi it's just weird to see politicians embrace her as some political philosopher. 

Sci-fi and political philosophy almost completely overlap.  It's hard to separate them.  Rand went so far as to write essays explaining how she wanted her views applied in real life.  The impact we're currently seeing is the impact she wanted to have. 

The reason Rand is considered a bad writer is because in Atlas Shrugged she simply took her own 60 page political manifesto and just put it into the mouth of one of her characters who "gives a speech." Pretty comical actually.

I won't necessarily hold Rand's writing skill against her.  After all, I did just cite a papal encyclical, and some popes have been basically every bit as gratuitously verbose as Rand.

(I personally am also not always as brief and succinct as I could be.)

But I stand by that she was a lousy philosopher.  All philosophy (both secular philosophy and religious philosophy or theology) suffers from the need to defend first principles and a priori assumptions, of course.  But hers lacks both rigor even in its attempted justification of first principles beyond the most shallow and reductive (i.e. "that existence exists," which I appreciate as at least standing in contradistinction to a social-constructivist paradigm and its set of base assumptions, but otherwise little use), as well as the progression of her argument past those bedrock levels even if you agreed on her baselines.  I can absolutely agree that reality is not merely a social construct and that we individual humans have agency and autonomy and are not merely helpless as leaves on the wind.  I can agree with all of those things and still have absolutely no clue how she finds an ironclad chain of logic from such premises to the conclusion that we should privatize the military and make taxes voluntary.

During the 2014 midterm election Republicans created dozens of misleading websites pretending to be the site's of Democratic candidates, but were completely fake.

Do NOT underestimate the Republicans in November. Dirty tricks are what they do best

https://t.co/ZWKE5a1MEK

^ A soaring economy, full employment, huge tax cuts, peace on the horizon in Korea, a conservative Supreme Court - I could go on and on. People have seen real results in their daily lives thanks to the Republican controlled federal government.

^ A soaring economy, full employment, huge tax cuts, peace on the horizon in Korea, a conservative Supreme Court - I could go on and on. People have seen real results in their daily lives thanks to the Republican controlled federal government.

Economy - has slowed down since GOP policies (tax cuts) have been put in place

Tax Cuts - Huge deficits and even Rubio admits that the benefits aren't trickling down - Surpirise

Korea - Nothing but vague promises but NK has gained a lot and given up nothing

SCOTUS - Scalia dying is an accomplishment for Turmpies

Their policies suck that's why they are running against HRC.  If they had accomplished things they'd have no need to run against the failed presidential candidate. SAD!

All my investment accounts (in S&P index funds) are literally down YTD, lol. Full employment is nice - thanks Obama

Then why are GOP strategists and PACs not running ads on those?  They're still obsessed with Clinton who's not running for office this year.

Very Stable Genius

Then why are GOP strategists and PACs not running ads on those?  They're still obsessed with Clinton who's not running for office this year.

Clinton is still the target because no one else has stepped up to fill her shoes as the face of the Democratic Party. Who else are they supposed to use as a boogeyman? She's one of only a handful of nationally known, easily recognizable Democrats, and she's wildly disliked. It's easy to tie whatever candidate you're running against to her in a 15 second ad by flashing her face on the screen. If you get enough people to associate all Democrats with Hillary, they won't vote for any Democrat. It's a simple, effective strategy, and until Democrats start to distance themselves from the Clinton's, it will continue to work.

^ GOP has full control of government.  They should have accomplishments to tout.  Instead, they still need a boogeyman.  That tells me all i need to know about GOP control.

^ GOP has full control of government.  They should have accomplishments to tout.  Instead, they still need a boogeyman.  That tells me all i need to know about GOP control.

Well they have to undo all the Obama first -- which is taking forever since the policy people became aware during his Presidency that the Rs were going to try and undo everything he did. Obama policy is strong against attempts to reverse it. A lot of the things such as Obamacare and even the fuel mileage regulations are too manifold to wipe out.

The GOP. Total control of government, still oppressed victims of the media and coastal elite.

Clinton is still the target because no one else has stepped up to fill her shoes as the face of the Democratic Party. Who else are they supposed to use as a boogeyman? She's one of only a handful of nationally known, easily recognizable Democrats, and she's wildly disliked. It's easy to tie whatever candidate you're running against to her in a 15 second ad by flashing her face on the screen. If you get enough people to associate all Democrats with Hillary, they won't vote for any Democrat. It's a simple, effective strategy, and until Democrats start to distance themselves from the Clinton's, it will continue to work.

HRC has retired from politics but serves a very useful role to both parties. To the Republicans, she's their boogeyman. To the Democrats, she's their diversionary tactic. They are more than happy to let the GOP be distracted by her....

'When Hillary Clinton lost her 2016 bid for the presidency, she retired from politics. In Ohio, it's as if she never left.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/05/01/midterm-elections-republicans-hillary-clinton-political-ads-congress-ohio-governor/565800002/

HRC has retired from politics but serves a very useful role to both parties. To the Republicans, she's their boogeyman. To the Democrats, she's their diversionary tactic. They are more than happy to let the GOP be distracted by her....

'When Hillary Clinton lost her 2016 bid for the presidency, she retired from politics. In Ohio, it's as if she never left.'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/05/01/midterm-elections-republicans-hillary-clinton-political-ads-congress-ohio-governor/565800002/

but she didn't "retire from politics." Just because she's not currently running for office doesn't mean she's not injecting herself into every imaginable (or rather, imagined) controversy surrounding Trump. Like so many liberal Democrats, she can't get over the fact that she lost and she remains bitter well into the second year of Trump's presidency. The only role she serving in her own party is to show what a bunch of sore losers they are and unable to move on with a positive message for the future

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/hillary-clintons-finger-pointing-show-will-cost-the-democrats/559298/

The GOP. Total control of government, still oppressed victims of the media and coastal elite.

This is not an accident or a goof, it's a tactic.  Get ahead then play like you're still losing.  Keep the pressure on-- don't switch to a prevent defense.  Because you represent the moneyed elite, you need to embrace every underdog credential you can get your hands on.  America loves underdogs so you have to present as such.  Doesn't matter if it's true.

Paul Ryan rips the GOP for practicing “identity politics.” #MIGlobal

Paul Ryan with the...self own?

Ryan is having himself a day.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/05/paul-ryan-if-the-gop-loses-house-trump-cover-ups-will-end.html

Paul Ryan Warns If Republicans Lose House, Cover-ups Will End

Very Stable Genius

. Like so many liberal Democrats, she can't get over the fact that she lost and she remains bitter well into the second year of Trump's presidency.

Sure, but you also need that to be true so you can keep bringing her up as the moral equivalent for President Trump’s behavior. I didn’t like her, didn’t vote for her, and don’t find her relevant to talk about now.

Bringing her up as a Conservative reminds me of a bitter ex who is “definitely over her.”

but she didn't "retire from politics." Just because she's not currently running for office doesn't mean she's not injecting herself into every imaginable (or rather, imagined) controversy surrounding Trump. Like so many liberal Democrats, she can't get over the fact that she lost and she remains bitter well into the second year of Trump's presidency. The only role she serving in her own party is to show what a bunch of sore losers they are and unable to move on with a positive message for the future

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/05/hillary-clintons-finger-pointing-show-will-cost-the-democrats/559298/

She retired from my politics. That's all that matters to me.

Are you offended by comedians and kids protesting mass murder?

Are you totally cool with Nazis, felons running for and retaining elected office, and indifferent to democracy?

The Republican Party might be for you!

Imagine being so incompetent you get owned by a chaplain.

Good job, Paul Ryan.

I was owned almost daily by priests in high school, take it easy.

"Mr. Moran, I'm afraid you're confused, this is Latin class... your homework indicates another language."

*Walking into the chapel* "Ahhh, Thomas, praying for forgiveness for the effort you gave on your European History exam?"

"Tom, you had a great game Saturday, I drove down to Warren for it. Minus, of course, from your drop in the endzone... where you stood uncovered."

Imagine being so incompetent you get owned by a chaplain.

Good job, Paul Ryan.

I was owned almost daily by priests in high school, take it easy.

"Mr. Moran, I'm afraid you're confused, this is Latin class... your homework indicates another language."

*Walking into the chapel* "Ahhh, Thomas, praying for forgiveness for the effort you gave on your European History exam?"

"Tom, you had a great game Saturday, I drove down to Warren for it. Minus, of course, from your drop in the endzone... where you stood uncovered."

17 year old vs. Speaker of the freaking House

(Still, your priests sound meaner than the deacons and nuns I had lol)

Very Stable Genius

BTW they're all off their rocker....

Ohio Republican #1 is suing Ohio Republican #2 for claiming that #1 is insufficiently pro-Trump. Can we please stop acting like Trump is some aberration who doesn't represent the party? https://t.co/JGd7L4GHIP

California's economy is bigger than Russia's.

But the @GOP kisses Russia's a$$ 100 times more.

Sexual assault allegations against Al Franken and Eric Schneiderman: Republicans (and Democrats) demand resignations.

Allegations against Donald Trump and Eric Greitens: Both still in office, Republicans largely silent.

Gotta love the double standard that Republicans have, eh?

Sexual assault allegations against Al Franken and Eric Schneiderman: Republicans (and Democrats) demand resignations.

Allegations against Donald Trump and Eric Greitens: Both still in office, Republicans largely silent.

Weinstein donations (to Dems) = returned

Wynn donations = silence

Roy Moore = endorsed by GOP

Anthony Weiner, attempted political comeback = got less than 5% of the vote in the primary

Very Stable Genius

Wynn donations = silence

Anthony Weiner, attempted political comeback = got less than 5% of the vote in the primary

Only one of these people was actually convicted of any wrongdoing, and he was still a fan favorite right up until the point that the completely undeniable evidence surfaced. Personally, I hold out on punishing someone until/unless they are convicted of some sort of wrongdoing, unless there are extinguishing circumstances.

Wynn donations = silence

Only one of these people was actually convicted of any wrongdoing, and he was still a fan favorite right up until the point that the completely undeniable evidence surfaced. Personally, I hold out on punishing someone until/unless they are convicted of some sort of wrongdoing, unless there are extinguishing circumstances.

So you 'll go ahead and retract your comment about Schneiderman. Great.