Sign in to follow this  
KJP

The Republican Party

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

18 hours ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

I would say they are not racist, they only care about tax and fiscal issues. 

This puts to bed any notion that you're here for a good faith, honest discussion.  Glad to have cleared that up.

Very Stable Genius

13 minutes ago, DarkandStormy said:

This puts to bed any notion that you're here for a good faith, honest discussion.  Glad to have cleared that up.

I'd say vice versa, because he is precisely correct.  We've been through this.

As far as I know, there's one person active on these boards who was at all involved in the early days of the original Tea Party, and that's me.

The original groups specifically rejected taking sides on any social or cultural issues.  The point was that government was too big, too expensive, and too intrusive.   Period.

The success of this message led to copycat groups that could call themselves "Tea Party" because the name could not be copyrighted.

These ranged from thinly disguised leftists to dominionists.

6 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

As far as I know, there's one person active on these boards who was at all involved in the early days of the original Tea Party, and that's me.

The original groups specifically rejected taking sides on any social or cultural issues.  The point was that government was too big, too expensive, and too intrusive.   Period.

The success of this message led to copycat groups that could call themselves "Tea Party" because the name could not be copyrighted.

Oh please the origin of the Tea Party was simple, there was a black guy in the White House.  I know they tried to dress it up as Taxed Enough Already but most of us know better.

4 minutes ago, Clefan98 said:

Oh please the origin of the Tea Party was simple, there was a black guy in the White House.  I know they tried to dress it up as Taxed Enough Already but most of us know better.

Exactly

1 hour ago, E Rocc said:

Wow, I must be missing all these similar protests over the recent $6 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill.

Very Stable Genius

2 hours ago, E Rocc said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

5 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

Wow, I must be missing all these similar protests over the recent $6 trillion coronavirus stimulus bill.

Republicans are suddenly very unconcerned about private email server usage by government officials as well. I wonder what changed...?

9 hours ago, DarkandStormy said:

No, just trying to point out the absurdity in your bias. that is all. 

8 hours ago, E Rocc said:

@DarkandStormy seems to feel that if you put the "racist" adjective in front of every group or policy he diagrees with, it makes it true. So by his logic, we are now going to insert the "racist" label in front of Democrats. 

49 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

@DarkandStormy seems to feel that if you put the "racist" adjective in front of every group or policy he diagrees with, it makes it true. So by his logic, we are now going to insert the "racist" label in front of Democrats. 

In the case of the Tea Party it's actually true. They were just a group of loser racists. They began when Obama announced a 75 billion home owner plan and are laughably silent during Trump's ballooning deficits. You sound naive thinking it was ever about fiscal restraint.  

2 hours ago, freefourur said:

In the case of the Tea Party it's actually true. They were just a group of loser racists. They began when Obama announced a 75 billion home owner plan and are laughably silent during Trump's ballooning deficits. You sound naive thinking it was ever about fiscal restraint.  

again, exactly

14 hours ago, freefourur said:

This is basically as blatant as it can get.  But now we can at least clear up who's here for an honest discussion and who isn't.

I thought it became clear after, say, 2012. But 2017-2020, and especially March 2020, are showing us the Tea Party had no principles in smaller government and eliminating the national debt at all.

Very Stable Genius

On 3/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, Clefan98 said:

Some of you "know" what you want to "know".  It started with TARP and that was a Bush thing.

15 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Some of you "know" what you want to "know".  It started with TARP and that was a Bush thing.

Nope. It started with Rick Santelli on air at CNBC when he called for a Tea Party on Feb 19, 2009 in response Homeowners Affordability and Stability Plan. 

52 minutes ago, E Rocc said:

Accuses people of revisionist history.

Revises history.

3 hours ago, E Rocc said:

So where are the cowards hiding now?

Edited by Clefan98

This is basically as blatant as it can get.  But now we can at least clear up who's here for an honest discussion and who isn't.

I thought it became clear after, say, 2012. But 2017-2020, and especially March 2020, are showing us the Tea Party had no principles in smaller government and eliminating the national debt at all.

The Tea Party for all its faults was not full of white nationalists. I know that the racists Democrats may be unable to distinguish that. Many conservatives still hold true that smaller government is the answer. One thing you are seeing here is that the private sector is much better geared up than the public sector to deliver the solutions. That is an important takeaway here. In addition, you also dont have a single point of failure as you would if you solely relied on the public system. The Strawman argument of the racist Democrats is that conservatives do not want government and only believe in the private sector. THat has never been true. There is a place for each to step up and each plays an important role. 

9 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

The Tea Party for all its faults was not full of white nationalists. I know that the racists Democrats may be unable to distinguish that. Many conservatives still hold true that smaller government is the answer. One thing you are seeing here is that the private sector is much better geared up than the public sector to deliver the solutions. That is an important takeaway here. In addition, you also dont have a single point of failure as you would if you solely relied on the public system. The Strawman argument of the racist Democrats is that conservatives do not want government and only believe in the private sector. THat has never been true. There is a place for each to step up and each plays an important role. 

Check out their website and socials.   Not one word about Trump tax cuts, the deficit, or current stimulus.   They've become a propaganda outlet for Dear Leader.  

https://www.teapartypatriots.org

4 hours ago, freefourur said:

Nope. It started with Rick Santelli on air at CNBC when he called for a Tea Party on Feb 19, 2009 in response Homeowners Affordability and Stability Plan. 

I just found out that Rick Santelli lives in Ohio

1 minute ago, Cleburger said:

Check out their website and socials.   Not one word about Trump tax cuts, the deficit, or current stimulus.   They've become a propaganda outlet for Dear Leader.  

https://www.teapartypatriots.org

THese of course are not normal times. I bet it is a matter of living to fight the fiscal battle at a different time.

Although, Thomas Massie sure tried his best to stop the stimulus. 

3 minutes ago, Brutus_buckeye said:

THese of course are not normal times. I bet it is a matter of living to fight the fiscal battle at a different time.

Although, Thomas Massie sure tried his best to stop the stimulus. 

Here are their links for the past couple years on the National Debt, which are 100% about spending, and nothing about Trump's tax cuts exploding the deficit and debt:  

https://www.teapartypatriots.org/tag/federal-spending/

On 3/28/2020 at 2:43 PM, Brutus_buckeye said:

Conservatives who actually live by their principle of smaller government = I'm willing to bet less than 5%.  Like...Justin Amash and that's about it.

Your middle points here make no sense.  The Trump Administration is historically inept.  This isn't necessarily "the private sector > the public sector."  Look how the Obama Administration handled H1N1 or Ebola.  Much more efficient than what we're seeing now.  Of course, that was a group of people who, mostly, cared about the public good and realized the powers of government could do a lot of public good.  There's none of that in the current administration.

Oh wow, looks like the private sector ****ed it up.

On 3/28/2020 at 2:57 PM, Brutus_buckeye said:

This is basically trolling.  You are no better than Ram or EVD with your inability to call out the racists among your ranks, which is very obviously what the Tea Party is now (even if it did start as a movement made up of >50% of people who were libertarians wanting to slow down government spending - of course, libertarianism as an ideology has been proven to be a complete farce both through 2008 and our current pandemic crisis).  Virtually no one holds your view - that the Tea Party still does care about government spending, they're just choosing not to voice their opposition to *this* government spending.  Because everyone else lives in reality where they recognize that's not the case.

Anywho, since you're quadrupling down on obvious false point for the sake of defending the Tea Party (a bizarre hill to die on) and have proven you don't want to have an honest discussion here, I guess there's nothing left but to ignore such trolls.

Very Stable Genius

Remember 10 days ago when multiple sitting Senators were caught profiting off of the coronavirus pandemic and then...nothing happened?  Cool, cool.

Very Stable Genius

Conservatives who actually live by their principle of smaller government = I'm willing to bet less than 5%.  Like...Justin Amash and that's about it.

Your middle points here make no sense.  The Trump Administration is historically inept.  This isn't necessarily "the private sector > the public sector."  Look how the Obama Administration handled H1N1 or Ebola.  Much more efficient than what we're seeing now.  Of course, that was a group of people who, mostly, cared about the public good and realized the powers of government could do a lot of public good.  There's none of that in the current administration.

Oh wow, looks like the private sector ****ed it up.

This is basically trolling.  You are no better than Ram or EVD with your inability to call out the racists among your ranks, which is very obviously what the Tea Party is now (even if it did start as a movement made up of >50% of people who were libertarians wanting to slow down government spending - of course, libertarianism as an ideology has been proven to be a complete farce both through 2008 and our current pandemic crisis).  Virtually no one holds your view - that the Tea Party still does care about government spending, they're just choosing not to voice their opposition to *this* government spending.  Because everyone else lives in reality where they recognize that's not the case.

Anywho, since you're quadrupling down on obvious false point for the sake of defending the Tea Party (a bizarre hill to die on) and have proven you don't want to have an honest discussion here, I guess there's nothing left but to ignore such trolls.

Let's not compare the Obama H1N1 and Ebola to this. Not an appropriate comparison. 

Ebola may be far more deadly but the spread is much easier to contain. In addition, Ebola has been around and known about for over 20 years so there was a long history of how to handle this. H1N1 by the time it reached the US, the world knew how to handle it and there was a history as to how to treat such a virus. Plus, that virus did not have the same type of spread as this. 

This is a novel virus and has not been seen in the world prior to now. No matter who the admin is they would be shut down. Europe is completely shut too. So is Canada, etc. This is not to say the Trump admin has not made mistakes along the way (such as getting testing out sooner or getting respirators and healthcare capacity engaged sooner)  but let's at least not pretend that if Obama or any other person were president, the current shelter in place,  economic shutdown, etc. would be any different.

We obviously will never know.  The testing ramping up like South Korea did would’ve happened. South Korea got unlucky early on with the cult that spread the virus rapidly. After that South Korea has been able to contain the spread.  That is what a normal administration would’ve done. 
   We could charged an additional fee of $10-20 to test people as they got off planes. Or no charge for at least temperature checks early on.  None of this was done.  That is how South Korea kept their infection rate low. 
   Doing those things above would’ve bought more time and brought more warm weather.  We could‘Ve been in containment mode until easily April if not May. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/08/coronavirus-sen-loeffler-will-liquidate-individual-stock-shares.html

Sen. Kelly Loeffler of Georgia on Wednesday said that she and her CEO husband Jeff Sprecher will liquidate their individual stock share positions and related options after weeks of criticism of the couple for selling millions of dollars in stock amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Loeffler on Wednesday reiterated her defense of the prior stock sales as legally and ethically proper, and her claim that the couple’s trading was handled by third parties without her prior knowledge.

And she said that she and Sprecher, who is the chairman and CEO of Intercontinental Exchange, the company that owns the New York Stock Exchange, are selling off the individual shares not because she had to, but because she wanted to avoid further controversy.

The market is up 20+% from its low on March 23rd.  It's basically guaranteed whatever she and her husband are now deciding to sell are not being sold at a loss.

Very Stable Genius

I was going to put this in the coronavirus thread. But I'll keep that free of politics as much as it can be. But sometimes you can't separate politics from the coronavirus. Such as...In the most recent statistics for Blaine County, Idaho show that it has one of the highest per capita infection rates in the US, >700/100,000. The county's industry, demographics and population density don't provide any correlation to infection rates. But political leanings do. While there may not be a stupidity index for the county, there is this....

In Idaho, Far-Right Republicans Defy Coronavirus Health Restrictions

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/832961674/in-idaho-far-right-republicans-defy-coronavirus-health-restrictions

The Republican Party has become a far-right outfit, while the Democratic Party has remained a center-left, traditional-style western party. This chart from the NY Times illustrates that the Democratic Party is a better choice for you if you are a leftist, a centrist, or even someone who is a bit right of center. The Republican Party is so far out there it is scary. They are closer to extremist parties like Alternative for Germany than they are to mainstream right-wing parties.

1942670293_partyideology.thumb.JPG.a6a00c170b501d8068cd01aea22998f9.JPG

Beam me up, Scotty!

The Chair of the Arizona Republicans suggests anti-lockdown protesters should dress like healthcare workers so they more effectively disrupt hospital work and sow public chaos. Remind me again which country these a-holes pretend to love?

https://www.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/28/politics/arizona-kelli-ward-coronavirus-protests/index.html 

We're all hypocrites to some extent. But those of us with some humility are apologetic, can find the humanistic humor in it, or at least work to reduce the frequency and severity of our inconsistencies.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mitch-mcconnell-moves-to-expand-bill-barrs-surveillance-powers?via=twitter_page

Days after the Justice Department controversially dropped charges against Mike Flynn, Senate GOP Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) is set to expand a highly politicized Justice Department’s surveillance authority during a vote this week to renew the 2001 PATRIOT Act. 

Under cover of redressing what President Donald Trump and his allies call the FBI’s “witch hunt” over collusion with the Kremlin, McConnell, via an amendment to the PATRIOT Act, will expressly permit the FBI to warrantlessly collect records on Americans’ web browsing and search histories. In a different amendment, McConnell also proposes giving the attorney general visibility into the “accuracy and completeness” of FBI surveillance submissions to the secret Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) Court.

Very Stable Genius

1 hour ago, DarkandStormy said:

Clearly Trump is weaponizing the FBI against Burr since the Intelligence Committee said the Russians were interfering on Trump's behalf in the 2016 election.