Sign in to follow this  
KJP

The Republican Party

Rigging the census by restoring it to how it used to be and bringing back a question regarding what ought to have been one of the most fundamental things it measures?

I can understand the concern about the effect this could have on the willingness of certain populations to talk to census staff at all.  But rigging it to stay in power?  If anything, the Democrats rigged it to stay in power by taking that question off, which allows for more Democrat-friendly legislative districts (because even if illegal immigrants can't vote, they can at least be counted for the purpose of drawing districts, which in turn gives them electoral heft they shouldn't have).

Should we also not count the prisoners that "reside" mostly in rural Republican districts or are we only worried about one class of people who can't vote.  what about children and places where ex-convicts can't vote.  Surely we should remove them too. 

Fortunately, nobody is required to answer questions about their legal status due to the 5th Amendment. 

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/elections/at-q-a-in-provo-mitt-romney-says-he-s/article_efee3320-23ac-5435-8c49-ddca54a69fe8.html

“For instance, I’m a deficit hawk,” Romney said. “That makes me more conservative than a lot of Republicans and a lot of Democrats. I’m also more of a hawk on immigration than even the president. My view was these DACA kids shouldn’t all be allowed to stay in the country legally.”

Romney also fielded multiple questions on his relationship with Trump, which has been famously strained in the past, particularly when Romney gave a speech in 2016 calling Trump a phony and a fraud.

But Romney played his relationship with Trump off as a strength, not a weakness, when talking about his qualifications for U.S. Senate. His relationships with 40 U.S. Senators and the president are what will help him be effective as a Senator, Romney said.

“(Trump) has endorsed me in this race,” Romney said. “He respects people who speak their mind, because now and then, as you know, if he says something I think is wrong, I’ll point it out. And if he disagrees with me, he points it out even harder.”

LOL Ok, Mittens.

Reminder, Romney tweeted all of the following:

If Trump had said 4 years ago the things he says today about the KKK, Muslims, Mexicans, disabled, I would NOT have accepted his endorsement

Here's what I know. Donald Trump is a phony, a fraud. His promises are as worthless as a degree from Trump University.

Trump relishes any poll that reflects what he thinks of himself.

Trump says he admires Vladimir Putin, while he has called George W. Bush a liar. That is a twisted example of evil trumping good.

Trump's turn:

Mitt Romney, who was one of the dumbest and worst candidates in the history of Republican politics, is now pushing me on tax returns. Dope!

.@MittRomney was a disaster candidate who had no guts and choked! Romney is a total joke, and everyone knows it!

Mitt Romney, now accepting the endorsement and support of the President (perhaps because he's espousing anti-DACA sentiments?), is a total joke - I agree with Trump there.

Very Stable Genius

^If the Democratic Party can temper the Progressive Agenda and continue to find some middle-left candidates that can win elections, the Blue Wave will be a Blue Tsunami

^If the Democratic Party can temper the Progressive Agenda and continue to find some middle-left candidates that can win elections, the Blue Wave will be a Blue Tsunami

Agreed, but the question is how long it will last.  This happened before, in 2006, the last big blue wave.  It lasted only until the 2010 counter-wave.  That was in large part because the Democrats who ran like Midwestern centrists voted like the progressives they claimed not to be.  Perhaps memories are short enough that voters have forgotten that, or perhaps, in the classic fatal phrase, "this time it's different."

Dropping like flies...

Rep. Blake Farenthold: Texas congressman abruptly resigns

Previously said wouldn't seek re-election

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/national/rep-blake-farenthold-texas-congressman-abruptly-resigns

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

It's the Republicans who have become ideologically extreme, not the Democrats, who will be unstoppable if they can reclaim their base.  I'm starting to think Kucinich might have a chance against DeWine.  Kucinich, a proud liberal with an exclamation point after his name.

Paul Ryan will announce today that he is not seeking reelection.  He sees the blue wave coming.

He see something coming. Pretty stunning news.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

Paul Ryan will announce today that he is not seeking reelection.  He sees the blue wave coming.

He see something coming. Pretty stunning news.

Wouldn't it be nice if instead of people trying to hold on to power as long as possible, they actually just wanted to make an effort at serving their country and constituency (their WHOLE constituency, not just the "base" they appeal to)?  I still hold out a modicum of hope.

Let us all remember that Paul Ryan's philosophy is about austerity and deficit reduction.  Let's see how he actually fulfilled that philosophy.  Oh - deficits and spending grew while he was speaker.  Who could've guessed it?

I'm loving the news about Ryan.  He saw the writing on the wall, just like many other Republicans. 

Speaking of, Dennis Ross, R-Florida, has also just announced his retirement.  We're on record pace here.

Hopefully Ryan will feel empowered to fulfill his constitutional duties in these remaining months and act as a check on the executive whacko branch!

Hopefully Ryan will feel empowered to fulfill his constitutional duties in these remaining months and act as a check on the executive whacko branch!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

@kurteichenwald

GOP passes huge tax cuts in a strong economy w/ full employment, then insane budget.

GOPrs like @SenBobCorker feign surprise when told theyve racked up more than $1 trillion in deficits.

GOP calls for Balanced Budget Amendment to stop them from doing what they already did.

Paul Ryan now enjoys the peace of mind that when he turns 50—in less than two years—he will enjoy a defined-benefits pension of about $79k annually for the rest of his life, funded by the same taxpayers whose Social Security he's been trying to cut or privatize his entire career.

Another one bites the dust. Has anyone got a list of how many Republicans are retiring? Must be close to 40 or 50 at this point.

One more: Florida Republican Rep. Dennis Ross told his staff this morning he is retiring, Tampa Bay Times reports. https://t.co/EvRegoIagB

They thought for a while that they might be able to make it work with Trump but can't. Trump is actually situational (like a liberal, but not) and that just doesn't mesh with unwavering belief systems.

Paul Ryan now enjoys the peace of mind that when he turns 50—in less than two years—he will enjoy a defined-benefits pension of about $79k annually for the rest of his life, funded by the same taxpayers whose Social Security he's been trying to cut or privatize his entire career.

I figure that's just walking-around money for someone like him.

He'll do a book, the speaking circuit, serve as a consultant and/or on some advisory boards, etc. Yep, he'll be fine.

So I can understand why he didn't seek re-election. Besides, it's probably hard to run when you don't have a spine.

He'll do a book, the speaking circuit, serve as a consultant and/or on some advisory boards, etc. Yep, he'll be fine.

So I can understand why he didn't seek re-election. Besides, it's probably hard to run when you don't have a spine.

The book will also do well since Republicans buy all the same books.

GOP calls for Balanced Budget Amendment to stop them from doing what they already did.

This would be the worst if it passed (hopefully it won't).  The purpose of the constitution is not to set budget policy.

^ this isn't done to actually pass.  This is red meat for the base.  Congress can pass a balanced budget now with a simple majority.  They didnt.

This would be the worst if it passed (hopefully it won't).  The purpose of the constitution is not to set budget policy.

I agree with freefourur that this will never pass, but I don't get the argument that it would be "the worst" if it passed or that the purpose of the Constitution is not to set budget policy.  The central purpose of the Constitution is to define what the government can and cannot do.  At the moment, unlimited borrowing is part of the things it can do, because there is an express provision allowing the federal government to incur debt, and no countervailing limiting provision.  If it was fair to put in a provision expressly allowing unlimited debt in the first place, why is it somehow inherently unfair to talk about modifying or repealing that provision?  There are other inherently baseline budgetary and financial provisions in the Constitution as well, such as the power to coin money and regulate its value.  And there are even a small number of limitations on spending and appropriation bills, too--for example, the Army budget cannot actually appropriate money on a horizon longer than two years.

Damjk6NWsAEBr9G.jpg

The top 3 finance people have all resigned in scandal or are under criminal investigation.  Remember when dems had to give back Weinstein's money. 

Thinking back, when I respected (though still politely disagreed with) Republicans....

News reports are that former First Lady Barbara Bush, now 92, is failing and that medical care has been ended.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/15/politics/barbara-bush-health/index.html

This is her 73 years ago on January 6, 1945 when Naval aviator George HW Bush and Barbara Pierce get married.

Da2Ga_nVQAEEm2Y.jpg

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/15/politics/matt-bevin-apology-sexual-assault-teachers-protest/index.html

Expressing concern for schoolchildren who were unable to attend school on Friday because of the strike, Bevin said: "I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at home because there was nobody there to watch them."

"I guarantee you somewhere today, a child was physically harmed or ingested poison because they were home alone because a single parent didn't have any money to take care of them," he said, adding that "some were introduced to drugs for the first time because they were vulnerable and left alone."

Wut?

Very Stable Genius

Such a shame that POTUS is allocating all of his time to defending his insecurities versus shining a light on Barbara Bush's life.

RIP Barbara Bush

Such a shame that POTUS is allocating all of his time to defending his insecurities versus shining a light on Barbara Bush's life.

Well it is only "Low Energy Jeb's" mother. Why should he care. 

We should be embarrassed as a nation.

This Eric Greitens stuff is DARK... my god...

In this new era of acceptance of moral depravity, the story is getting a lot of traction.

What great comment by 41.

DbFWDcFVMAIVGoD.jpg:large

I don't believe in heaven myself but I am glad it brings comfort.  I always thought that GHWB was a class act.

The Republican men of the  Senate are balking at proposed new rules that would require them to pay their own sexual harassment settlements https://t.co/31unWFxxVW

#BREAKING: GOP Missouri governor charged with felony computer tampering https://t.co/RroivS2oGb

The Ohio House GOP Primary is being funded by coal. =>FirstEnergy PAC writes big checks to House speaker hopeful Larry Householder, campaign allies https://t.co/KTpsKk5YHJ

5766d4rn1zt01.png

While Republican Debbie Lesko won by 5 points in the Arizona 8th district's special election last night, it represented a 19% swing from 2016. 

In all, the average of special federal elections since Trump took office has been a swing to the left by 17%.

Very Stable Genius

5766d4rn1zt01.png

While Republican Debbie Lesko won by 5 points in the Arizona 8th district's special election last night, it represented a 19% swing from 2016. 

In all, the average of special federal elections since Trump took office has been a swing to the left by 17%.

I read that the average age in the district is 68.  Even in an almost entirely white, old and completely suburban district, Republicans had to drop in a million dollars just to keep in within 5%.  That kind of movement is incredibly bad news for Republicans come November. 

Once you get that old you don't care about guns or coal jobs

I'll give Trump credit for one thing- attracting the niche and single-issue voters. The question remains if they think he's done enough to continue supporting him.  He can't win again with only his most hardcore base alone, so he's going to need to keep the relative moderates and independents who gave him a chance (partially out of Hillary hate).  It has, so far, looked like he hasn't, and that seems to be reflecting in the special election votes.  Even very safe and reliably Republican districts are coming in much closer than they ever normally would.