Sign in to follow this  
KJP

The Republican Party

DXOAdQvXUAAEaS7.jpg:large

It's been determined that Republicans in the HPSCI (Nunes specifically) leaked the Warner test to Fox News.  Paul Ryan's response: "I don't run that committee."  I'm old enough to remember when Paul Ryan was against mishandling of classified information.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/3/1/17066702/identity-politics-trump-gop-conservatives

Political scientists have found data to support an idea that became a truism of the 2016 elections: Conservatives and Republicans have embraced so-called “identity politics” just as much as the liberals they chide for it.

The finding was part of a wide-ranging paper on American political identities called “One Tribe to Bind Them All: How Our Social Group Attachments Strengthen Partisanship,” published in the journal Advances in Political Psychology in February.

The researchers, Lilliana Mason of the University of Maryland and Julie Wronski of the University of Mississippi, found that Americans have sorted themselves into political parties increasingly based on their own social identities, defined as “a sense of shared identity with a particular group.” Means by which Americans previously defined themselves culturally — race, class, religion — are increasingly how Americans define themselves politically as well.

And Republicans were even more likely than Democrats to identify with their chosen political party on the basis of their own identities.

Whoops!

Very Stable Genius

Whoops?  It's quite intentional.  Identity politics favors them.  "You wanna split people into groups?  OK, we'll claim the biggest one.  Your move."

Whoops?  It's quite intentional.  Identity politics favors them.  "You wanna split people into groups?  OK, we'll claim the biggest one.  Your move."

You cannot cry "IDENTITY POLITICS" (as an insult) while simultaneously engaging it more often that the folks you criticize.

Very Stable Genius

I contend that all politics has always been identify politics.  It's a fake outrage talking point like complaining about political correctness.

I contend that all politics has always been identify politics.  It's a fake outrage talking point like complaining about political correctness.

Agreed, people have always been this way.  Perhaps some of those groups/definitions are not quite as broad as they used to be, but this is just an animalistic part of human beings.  That said, if there's been real movement into more narrowly-defined groups, it's pretty clear who's been peddling the division.

I love the social contract argument from people for whom sexual assault, pedophilia and genocide are not a red line for a candidate.

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

You cannot cry "IDENTITY POLITICS" (as an insult) while simultaneously engaging it more often that the folks you criticize.

That's exactly what they're doing though.  So it helps them when they do it, and it helps them when we do it.  It's a winning issue for them but not for us.

What a snowflake and an obstructionist for Traitor Trump!

Devin Nunes Calls Colbert's Jokes About Him A 'Danger' In This Country

https://www.yahoo.com/news/devin-nunes-calls-colbert-apos-042945666.html

"Nearly every problem that we have in the USA -- unaffordable health care, prison overpopulation, hyper militarization, climate change, racism, gun violence, poverty, poor education, urban sprawl and others -- cannot be positively addressed because bribery and conflicts of interest are legal under campaign finance laws which protect the uber-wealthy and the narrow self-interests who grossly benefit from our afflictions."

WTF GOP??

No Women Are Allowed At This Congressman's Country Club Fundraiser

http://fortune.com/2016/07/15/jim-renacci-no-women/

This.  There was a time when American was a higher-order identity, though.  It's been downgraded as America has become more balkanized among the progressive holy trinity of identity divisions (race, class, gender).  And attempts to reconstitute that old identity without an external unifying threat like the USSR are going to get branded as nationalism, even if nationalism need not inherently be ethnic or racial in its definition of the nation.

WTF GOP??

No Women Are Allowed At This Congressman's Country Club Fundraiser

http://fortune.com/2016/07/15/jim-renacci-no-women/

It certainly sounds crass.  But do a lot of political fundraising e-mails and fundraiser promotions.  Query whether you would react this way to an all-woman fundraiser for a progressive candidate.

It certainly sounds crass.  But do a lot of political fundraising e-mails and fundraiser promotions.  Query whether you would react this way to an all-woman fundraiser for a progressive candidate.

I'm going to be mad at anything that can exclude me from getting some bacon-wrapped scallops.

But seriously, as Conservatives on this overwhelmingly liberal board, Let's chill with the whatboutism. Sometimes wrong is just wrong.

I'm going to be mad at anything that can exclude me from getting some bacon-wrapped scallops.

But seriously, as Conservatives on this overwhelmingly liberal board, Let's chill with the whatboutism. Sometimes wrong is just wrong.

"Whataboutism" is sometimes inappropriate but sometimes it's just another term for calling out hypocrisy, generally invoked defensively by the hypocrite to avoid talking about their hypocrisy.

"Whataboutism" is sometimes inappropriate but sometimes it's just another term for calling out hypocrisy, generally invoked defensively by the hypocrite to avoid talking about their hypocrisy.

There you go again.

And why is there no White History Month, amirite?

Also, why is there no heterosexual pride parade? 

It's called the NFL.

I hope you realize how stupid this sounds considering only white men could vote for a longer period in U.S. history than the period in which women have had the right to vote (1920-present).

Women have had the right to vote for less than a century and you're faux outraged at a hypothetical "all-woman fundraiser."  LOL.

Very Stable Genius

I hope you realize how stupid this sounds considering only white men could vote for a longer period in U.S. history than the period in which women have had the right to vote (1920-present).

Women have had the right to vote for less than a century and you're faux outraged at a hypothetical "all-woman fundraiser."  LOL.

So the answer to my concern is that I'm stupid.  Understood.  Thank you for addressing it so succinctly and putting my concerns about hypocrisy and double standards to rest so eloquently.

A women-only fundraiser would still be wrong.

You are unable to see how things that seem the same are different.  One group of people formed groups because they were marginalized.  The other group has never been marginalized. 

^I understand that and fully grasp and agree with that concept.

So the answer to my concern is that I'm stupid.  Understood.  Thank you for addressing it so succinctly and putting my concerns about hypocrisy and double standards to rest so eloquently.

Are you or are you not slightly upset/outraged/perturbed that a Republican candidate is holding an "All-Male fundraiser?"

The only words you have offered on the matter are asking people if they'd be just as outraged at the idea of an all-women fundraiser.

Very Stable Genius

^ Can you tell me where a no men allowed country club exists or is this a hypothetical whataboutism?

Definitely a hypothetical whataboutism.

Secondly, while antiquated, I have no problem with women or men only social clubs. However, if you're a candidate for office, it's simply wrong to derive sourcing from an event that excludes anyone based on sex, religion, race, or orientation

Are you or are you not slightly upset/outraged/perturbed that a Republican candidate is holding an "All-Male fundraiser?"

The only words you have offered on the matter are asking people if they'd be just as outraged at the idea of an all-women fundraiser.

I said it sounded crass.  And Renacci is, well, not known as much of a diplomat.  My unsubstantiated suspicion is that his all-male fundraiser is going to be more frat bros who outgrew being frat bros by growing into politics.  But that doesn't mean that I would make a categorical statement against single-sex fundraisers of either type, as Yabo does.

^ Can you tell me where a no men allowed country club exists or is this a hypothetical whataboutism?

Secondly, while antiquated, I have no problem with women or men only social clubs. However, if you're a candidate for office, it's simply wrong to derive sourcing from an event that excludes anyone based on sex, religion, race, or orientation

The issue I have with gender specific country clubs is that men have traditionally and still do hold most of the power positions in companies.  A lot of networking happens at country clubs and social clubs.  This is inherently leaving out the opportunity for the excluded to rub elbows with the included group. 

The issue I have with gender specific country clubs is that men have traditionally and still do hold most of the power positions in companies.  A lot of networking happens at country clubs and social clubs.  This is inherently leaving out the opportunity for the excluded to rub elbows with the included group. 

Perhaps.  But I think the vaunted power of the country club networking scene is actually vastly overrated.  It's true that many of the senior leadership at my old white-shoe, 100-year-old law firm were members of country clubs, but many of the next rung down, men and women alike, were not.  And the women definitely had their own exclusionary network, whether it was centered around a country club or not.  Service on nonprofit boards was a much more public (and time-consuming) hallmark of the resumes of senior leadership, and men and women alike did so (again including the next-level down partners who would be the presumptive next generation of the executive committee), nor do I think the connections to those boards were made at country clubs.

To the extent that money is a signal of power dynamics, the firm's budget, even before I left, had long since signaled that country clubs were not considered a place to meet prospective clients, either: memberships in such clubs were generally not considered business development expenses, even if within expense account budgets.  And I'm pretty sure the firm didn't have any corporate memberships, either; I don't know if that was a change or if it simply never did.  If country clubs really were considered power centers for advancement and development, we'd have been there.  We represented most of the major players in the area and it would not have been an issue of affordability.

To be perfectly frank, I think the people with the highest, most enchanted mental pictures of country clubs are those with the least actual experience with them.

Wouldn't it be a shame if, in advance of tomorrow's special election in Pennsylvania, news that the president thinks the Republican candidate is *terrible* went viral and was seen by hundreds of thousands of Pennsylvania voters? That would really chafe the president, I imagine.

Trump privately attacking GOP candidate in tough PA House election as "weak": report

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/377871-trump-privately-slamming-gop-candidate-in-pa-house-race-as-weak-report

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/rick-saccone-defends-saying-opponents-hate-president-god-n856186

Saccone, running against Democrat Connor Lamb in Pennsylvania’s special congressional election, said at a rally Monday that his opponents are energized by hatred. “Many of them have a hatred for our country. I’ll tell you some more — my wife and I saw it again today, they have a hatred for God,” he said.

I'm sure the right hardly bats an eye at this hateful rhetoric.

Very Stable Genius

https://www.nbcnews.com/card/rick-saccone-defends-saying-opponents-hate-president-god-n856186

Saccone, running against Democrat Connor Lamb in Pennsylvania’s special congressional election, said at a rally Monday that his opponents are energized by hatred. “Many of them have a hatred for our country. I’ll tell you some more — my wife and I saw it again today, they have a hatred for God,” he said.

I'm sure the right hardly bats an eye at this hateful rhetoric.

But but muhhhh deplorables

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Under-Spotlight-Special-Pa-House-Race-Goes-to-Voters-476633733.html

In a SW Pennsylvania district that Trump won by 20 points in 2016, Republicans pulled out all the stops - spending $10 million of outside money as Saccone outspent his opponent Conor Lamb nearly 3-to-1 as well as two appearances by the President - but it wasn't enough.  Democrat Conor Lamb is the apparent winner of PA's 18th district special election.

This seat was up for special election because Tim Murphy, the anti-abortion Rep. who held this seat, encouraged his mistress to get an abortion.

Very Stable Genius

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Under-Spotlight-Special-Pa-House-Race-Goes-to-Voters-476633733.html

In a SW Pennsylvania district that Trump won by 20 points in 2016, Republicans pulled out all the stops - spending $10 million of outside money as Saccone outspent his opponent Conor Lamb nearly 3-to-1 as well as two appearances by the President - but it wasn't enough.  Democrat Conor Lamb is the apparent winner of PA's 18th district special election.

This seat was up for special election because Tim Murphy, the anti-abortion Rep. who held this seat, encouraged his mistress to get an abortion.

There are about 100 R seats that are more competitive than this one.  The blue wave might be a tsunami if the GOP doesn't figure out what the problem is.

There are about 100 R seats that are more competitive than this one.  The blue wave might be a tsunami if the GOP doesn't figure out what the problem is.

Depending on which voting analyst/expert you trust, as many as 110 House districts are more competitive than PA-18.

Very Stable Genius

Russia Republicans now have their very own logo! Congrats!

IMG_20180314_235654.thumb.jpg.028201fcb80a44e21480c321143ee9c2.jpg

Hey all,

I have been selected as the State Leader for Stand Up Republic. As an alternative to the current Republican party, I'd love to have any and all of my centrist-Conservative friends here join! It's the Conservative movement you can be proud to tell your children you're associated with.

https://standuprepublic.com/

FEC probes whether NRA got illegal Russian donations  https://t.co/xmU2ONWjhF via @politico

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pro-trump-candidate-attacks-mexicans-152841347.html

Really wasn't sure where to put this, as it can go in the Trump, Immigration or Racism threads.  I guess they're all tied together at this point.  In any case... Ohio Republican Christina Hagan used videos of Moroccan migrants to suggest that Mexicans are flooding across the border.  You know, because brown people all basically look the same. 

Candidates like her don't really scream "Blue NEO" all that much.  Her district must be super rural/suburban.

Denounced by His Party as a Nazi, Arthur Jones Wins Illinois G.O.P. Congressional Primary

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/us/politics/arthur-jones-illinois.html

To any and all Conservatives or Moderates currently disgusted with the state of the GOP... Join us. https://standuprepublic.com/ Feel free to contact me for more information or how to get involved.

Too bad they didn't include Keanu's patented "Whoa" at the end

Seen in Columbus, OH on Saturday....

DZJnv7IUMAAIX-P.jpg:large

It would be interesting to see the number of registered GOP voters in the district that voted for him.  The article doesn't mention.

He received a little over 20,000 votes.  Which is appalling to me.

So much for the rule of law.....

Wisconsin Republicans defy court order, call legislators back to revise special election laws

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/midwest/ct-wisconsin-republicans-special-election-laws-20180323-story.html

Republicans are rigging the Census to stay in power. Trump is more like Putin every day. https://t.co/t60NVXdvs8

Rigging the census by restoring it to how it used to be and bringing back a question regarding what ought to have been one of the most fundamental things it measures?

I can understand the concern about the effect this could have on the willingness of certain populations to talk to census staff at all.  But rigging it to stay in power?  If anything, the Democrats rigged it to stay in power by taking that question off, which allows for more Democrat-friendly legislative districts (because even if illegal immigrants can't vote, they can at least be counted for the purpose of drawing districts, which in turn gives them electoral heft they shouldn't have).