Sign in to follow this  
KJP

The Republican Party

The Illinois Republican Party rebuked the candidate in a statement, saying their chapter “and our country have no place for Nazis like Arthur Jones,”

“We strongly oppose his racist views and his candidacy for any public office, including the 3rd Congressional District,” Tim Schneider, a spokesman for the party, told the newspaper.

It should also be noted that this is a heavily Democratic Chicago district that Republicans don't even bother running candidates in, which is why he's "unopposed." This headline is clickbait, and the article is pretty stupid. The only real relationship it has to this thread is that the Republican Party denounced what is tantamount to a publicity stunt.

So Devin Nunes is still playing stupid games. When is Speaker Ryan going to sideline this clown?

https://t.co/NiWl3jHEGL

"Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you respond." -- Coach Lou Holtz

So.... this guy is going to win the GOP primary in Illinois' 3rd District....

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/cnns-camerota-confronts-literal-nazi-running-for-gop-congressional-seat-in-insane-interview/

It's been covered - the GOP isn't endorsing him or his views.  He's running in a very liberal district, so he basically has no "establishment" GOP opposition because no one is wasting their time there.

That said, it's still bad optics that a literal Nazi wants to run as a Republican.

Very Stable Genius

^ 1) This is a non-story, the local party has already disavowed him and they are not choosing to run a real candidate in this district.

2) The guy has run for various offices and lost since the mid 90s

3) anyone can get their name on a ballot by collecting enough signatures. Just because he puts an R behind his name does not mean the party will give him resources. The rules of the party allow for anyone who gets the signatures to get on the ballot. I believe it is the same in the DNC too.

A) It's not a non story when a nazi candidate wins a major party primary.

B) The local GOP should, at the very least, put forth an alternative that would make sure he isn't the primary choice. Not doing so is a degree of complicity.

C) If anyone else believes gerrymandering doesn't need to be fixed, here's a case study as to why.

^ The guy has a right to get his name on the ballot if he wants. The fact that the rules allow him to do this is more of the issue the GOP needs to address, but how do you do this yet remain open to people. Yes, it is embarrassing but when you put it in perspective it is a non-story, just a way for liberals to thumb their elitist noses at the GOP, because of some clown in IL

It would not be appropriate for the GOP to field a serious candidate because you are essentially asking for someone to go in, expend the effort, spend a lot of money and resources and even ruin their good name for ultimately what amounts to a lost cause. 

^ The guy has a right to get his name on the ballot if he wants. The fact that the rules allow him to do this is more of the issue the GOP needs to address, but how do you do this yet remain open to people. Yes, it is embarrassing but when you put it in perspective it is a non-story, just a way for liberals to thumb their elitist noses at the GOP, because of some clown in IL

It would not be appropriate for the GOP to field a serious candidate because you are essentially asking for someone to go in, expend the effort, spend a lot of money and resources and even ruin their good name for ultimately what amounts to a lost cause. 

I'm a Conservative thumbing my nose at the GOP.

When a Communist finds his way onto the ballot in heavy red districts, I'll do the same. But allowing a Holocaust denier to get the nod in ANY district is unacceptable. Especially on the coattails of the Moore scandal.

^ So the only real solution is to lock down the primary process. I am not sure if this has been litigated before as Constitutional or not, but there could be issues with the legality of this.

^ So the only real solution is to lock down the primary process. I am not sure if this has been litigated before as Constitutional or not, but there could be issues with the legality of this.

No, if he's the only one on the ballot, you've gotta run him.

But the local GOP should ensure there is someone else on the ballot.

Secondly, gerrymandering reform will help with instances like this.

Always nice to see nice, symmetrical districts... lossless-page1-400px-Illinois_US_Congressional_District_3_%28since_2013%29.tif.png

The solution is not to align any American political party with Nazi ideals.  You say he's not a Republican, fine, but what are the chances this person would run as a Democrat?  None.  He knows what side he's on.

The solution is not to align any American political party with Nazi ideals.  You say he's not a Republican, fine, but what are the chances this person would run as a Democrat?  None.  He knows what side he's on.

Why would a nazi feel safe in the GOP?

There are fine people on both sides.  - Trump

“Fine people”

Not necessarily. He is a nutjob and will run with whatever forum he can get. You have a strong incumbent right now on the D side so he will run as a R. If you switch the scenario and you have a non-contested R, then you get a clown running as a D.

Also, when the party disavows him, that is not aligning with Nazi ideals. That is a false narrative.

Also, when the party disavows him, that is not aligning with Nazi ideals. That is a false narrative.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on this statement... until he receives more votes in the district than write-in options. Then it's no longer a false narrative, he is a Republican candidate for Congress.

Disavow applies to funding and endorsements. But there's a reason why David Duke, Roy Moore, and this tool have all felt sheltered on the right.

YABO713[/member] and I get what you are saying about running a serious candidate, it would be nice, but not necessarily efficient. Political parties need to make economic decisions about which seats are worth throwing their weight into and the IL 3 is just not on that level. Do serious candidates want to risk their reputation and become a sacrificial lamb and spend a ton of money only to lose big?  That is a lot to ask of the organization not to mention the person running on the ticket.

You are right, we need to create more competitive districts, but I am not sure getting rid of gerrymandering would even help districts such as the IL-3, unless gerrymandered in in ways to balance out the registered voters in the area to make it competitive.  I just don't know if there really is anything realistic that can be done.

Brutus_buckeye[/member] I can appreciate your point, but mine is simply this. It should cost $0 to put forward a candidate that can beat a Nazi.

Unfortunately, it costs more than $0 to put forward any candidate.  Even just collecting signatures is seldom truly free.

Fair, it cost a cousin of mine about $350 to get on the ballot. So $350.

The real bad optics for the Republican Party will not be the Nazi running, as the party has indeed disavowed him, it will be when their base voters still go ahead and vote for the Nazi.

^ 1) This is a non-story, the local party has already disavowed him and they are not choosing to run a real candidate in this district.

2) The guy has run for various offices and lost since the mid 90s

3) anyone can get their name on a ballot by collecting enough signatures. Just because he puts an R behind his name does not mean the party will give him resources (*Except in Alabama) The rules of the party allow for anyone who gets the signatures to get on the ballot. I believe it is the same in the DNC too.

^^Fixed that!  :)

KABOOM!

GOP Rep. Tom Rooney says that the “entire Republican staff" is currently under investigation by the Office of Congressional Ethics.

Republicans want to be dictators:

"...forcibly removing a judge for making decisions that offend the governing party is, to put it gently, not tolerable in a democracy. It’s a profound threat to the independence of the judiciary and the separation of powers."

The Great Republican Power Grab

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/opinion/republicans-gerrymandering-power.html/

Republicans want to be dictators:

"...forcibly removing a judge for making decisions that offend the governing party is, to put it gently, not tolerable in a democracy. It’s a profound threat to the independence of the judiciary and the separation of powers."

The Great Republican Power Grab

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/08/opinion/republicans-gerrymandering-power.html/

The more I listen to GOP party leadership, the more I believe these old white guys truly believe their talking points about illegals aliens stealing elections from the GOP, taking all their jobs, etc.  This only furthers their willingness to cheat to keep a grasp on power.  Something has to be done about drawing districts--it's obscene that they can lose the popular vote in a state and still walk away with 70%+ of the seats in the legislature!

^ Even if you disagree with your kid's politics, it's bizarre to actively work against your own offspring's success. It's especially bizarre to do so to the highest degree permitted by law. I'm sure they have very joyful gathering's around the holidays.

^ Even if you disagree with your kid's politics, it's bizarre to actively work against your own offspring's success. It's especially bizarre to do so to the highest degree permitted by law. I'm sure they have very joyful gathering's around the holidays.

Oh come on, if Hillary's Republican dad was alive and donating to Trump you'd be all over that.

When even your parents think you're a total DB who would be bad for America... you might be a Republican. 

Oh come on, if Hillary's Republican dad was alive and donating to Trump you'd be all over that.

I doubt you'd see this sort of behavior from Republican parents - Republicans tend to have more family values than those on the left. For example, if I had a kid grow up to be politically identical to you or jonoh81 here, I might not give to their political campaign, but I certainly wouldn't give to their opponent, and I certainly wouldn't hope for their defeat. The success and well being of my family and loved ones overwhelmingly trumps something like petty political differences.

I doubt you'd see this sort of behavior from Republican parents - Republicans tend to have more family values than those on the left. For example, if I had a kid grow up to be politically identical to you or jonoh81 here, I might not give to their political campaign, but I certainly wouldn't give to their opponent, and I certainly wouldn't hope for their defeat. The success and well being of my family and loved ones overwhelmingly trumps something like petty political differences.

LOL.  I guess if defending pedophiles and spousal abuse is a family value then sure. 

I doubt you'd see this sort of behavior from Republican parents - Republicans tend to have more family values than those on the left.

Come on...man...no one's buying this shIt anymore. Give it up.

Seriously?

giphy.gif

it's cute that GOPers still pretend to be about family values and deficits.  but for that matter can anyone please tell me what the current GOP stands for?  I mean this in all seriousness.

Grassley and Graham are raising questions about a newly discovered Susan Rice email that recounts a January 2017 conversation with Obama, Yates and Comey. And says Obama said twice that “our law enforcement team needs to proceed as it normally would by the book.”

12:22 PM - 12 Feb 2018

Very Stable Genius

it's cute that GOPers still pretend to be about family values and deficits.  but for that matter can anyone please tell me what the current GOP stands for?  I mean this in all seriousness.

The GOP stands for the GOP, as in its amassing and protection of power for power's sake. Not for some lofty goal or vision. And certainly not for the nation. Unfortunately, most of the Democrats are in a similar boat, thus their recent voting of Pelosi over Ryan as minority leader in the House. Those without a party are the only Americans left in this country. The Republicans and Democrats have their own little fiefdoms to which they given their priority.

Grassley and Graham are raising questions about a newly discovered Susan Rice email that recounts a January 2017 conversation with Obama, Yates and Comey. And says Obama said twice that “our law enforcement team needs to proceed as it normally would by the book.”

12:22 PM - 12 Feb 2018

Looks like a big scandal here.  Obama wanted it done by the book.  he is supposed to ask them for their loyalty.

The GOP certainly stands for lower taxes.  Obviously those of us who once stood for lower deficits don't have a home in either party now.  If the Democrats could credibly promise that tax increases would be used to lower deficits rather than expand the entitlement state, I'd consider switching back.

The GOP stands for the right to life.  Not a guarantee of material well-being, but a right to at least a shot.

The GOP stands for reducing the regulatory reach of the central state.  Even Donald Trump, the most statist Republican president by disposition in modern memory, has significantly scaled back the aggression of the federal regulatory state against the private sector--most notably including at the EPA and CFPB, but also at Education and Energy.  In this, GOP unified control of Washington is actually delivering a genuine limitation of government.  Of course, since many of these actions are solely executive (barring the measures repealed via the CRA), a future Democratic president could reimpose many of them--but that's something that's fair game for the political process.

The GOP stands for judicial philosophy anchored in rules rather than emotions ("empathy").

That said, the list of what the GOP stands for is clearly shorter than what it stands against.  That is where its real appeal lies for much of its base.  The GOP is generally actually not that fazed by the old progressive epithet that it's the "party of no."  The GOP basically holds forth KJP and his ilk (who casually consider <a href="https://www.urbanohio.com/forum/index.php/topic,2170.msg894940.html#msg894940">mass depopulation, including by human agency, as healthy for the planet</a>), and says "do you want your life micromanaged by that guy?  No?  OK, vote for us."

^ a agree with most of your post and thanks for pointing those things out.  I do have to wonder how the federal government deciding not prosecute businesses for poisoning the environment or ripping people off creates more freedom.