KJP

Elon Musk

Elon Musk Says ‘Hyperloop’ Tunnel Is Now Just a Normal Car Tunnel Because ‘This Is Simple and Just Works’  

From the article:

For those keeping score, in a mere two years we’ve gone from a futuristic vision of electric skates zooming around a variety of vehicles in a network of underground tunnels to—and I cannot stress this enough—a very small, paved tunnel that can fit one (1) car.

The video’s marketing conceit is that the car in the tunnel beats a car trying to go the same distance on roads. You’ll never believe this, but the car that has a dedicated right of way wins. Congratulations to The Boring Company for proving dedicated rights of way are important for speedy transportation, something transportation planners figured out roughly two centuries ago. I’m afraid for how many tunnels they’ll have to dig before they likewise acknowledge the validity of induced demand.

To recap: Musk’s company spent two years developing a very narrow car tunnel. To anyone who ever believed Elon Musk’s bullshit: you’ve been had.

Edited by cincydave8

Article completely misses the point that a controlled environment like a tunnel is the only place that full vehicle autonomy is ever going to work. Once you realize that (no one in the press does because they take the tech companies word for it that automation is coming and are wowed by existing tech that is not scaleable) there’s a method to the madness 

Edited by thebillshark

www.cincinnatiideas.com

17 minutes ago, GCrites80s said:

I love how his followers explain away his proven faults by pointing out something else he said is going to happen in the future.

I’m aware that he is one of the biggest pushers of the narrative of autonomous vehicles. I’m just saying, my best guess of what’s really going on is that perhaps someone over there in his organization sees the serious issues implementing this tech in the wider physical world and is looking at some kind of hybrid system where vehicles can operate autonomously at high speed in a tunnel. But maybe not and this is all developing exactly according to how they’re tweeting it out, I don’t know. 

www.cincinnatiideas.com

Privately-owned tunnels that only Teslas can use is a cute idea (or even Teslas don't pay tolls but other makes do) but where is the need for all of these tunnels?  Anywhere I can think of where there is an actual pinch point, well, you're talking about a very serious piece of engineering, not a casually dug tunnel in Hawthorne, CA.  

Like - a tunnel under the SF Bay.  Or something under one of the New York City rivers.  Or a 6~ mile tunnel under the Hollywood Hills to the SF Valley.  Those would be big-time pieces of work.  

So the SEC told Musk to STFU regarding things that could result in market manipulation in public communication. So now he has switched to "leaked emails". Leaked emails sound even sexier than manipulating futurists through Tweets.

The German company Herrenknecht had approximately 700 tunnel boring machines in operation around the globe when this film was made in 2015:

In addition to the TBMs, the company can build the concrete segments and staff the machinery during construction as part of a complete package. 

Meanwhile, Musk has yet to build a single TBM.  700 in operation at one time versus a single TBM he bought from another company.  Yet he supposedly has all of this proprietary tech.  Um, okay.