cincydave8

Cincinnati: West End: FC Cincinnati Stadium

54 minutes ago, savadams13 said:

Ballet is moving to Baldwin site. So only a matter of time before the Ballet building is torn down for additional development.

Got an inside source on this one?

1 hour ago, troeros said:

Got an inside source on this one?

I actually heard from a friend who donates to the ballet and they announced it at one of their get togethers that they are building next to Baldwin. Apparently they tried to buy a plot of land downtown but did not have any luck due to the prices on downtown lots. 

Edited by Ucgrad2015
Spelling

48 minutes ago, Ucgrad2015 said:

I actually heard from a friend who donates to the ballet and they announced it at one of their get togethers that they are building next to Baldwin. Apparently they tried to buy a plot of land downtown but did not have any luck due to the prices on downtown lots. 

At least it's still located in the core. Just wish it was better connected, because that area of downtown still feels quite disconnected from downtown, even though it's in downtown. 

If they end up next to the Baldwin building, they will be close to the recently proposed Art Museum steps (https://www.citybeat.com/arts-culture/visual-arts/blog/21066164/cincinnati-art-museum-is-building-an-art-climb-staircase-to-connect-with-community-activate-grounds).

So while that stretch of Gilbert is currently cut off from things, the Art Museum will at least have more of a presence right across from the proposed Ballet location. 

image.png.f8ad4a204354240e056540ae941c7b5c.png

I assume the Ballet would be where the 'Proposed Restaurant' is shown, and potentially extending into where the surface parking lot is shown. Basically they would re-purpose the train bridge as a pedestrian connection towards Reading Rd.

• Like 2

When I was a kid, buses on field trips to the Natural History Museum parked where it says "proposed restaurant" and you ate packed lunches in "Baldwin Park".  If you were lucky, there was some homeless activity on the "pedestrian bridge" that the teachers had to shoo you away from.  So we spent our days learning all about Jesus, but then we turned our backs on the bridge people.  

Same with Music Hall.  The buses lined up on Elm St., and you had to "stay on the sidewalk" and not look at what was going on in the park.  

19 hours ago, mcmicken said:

They have never mentioned using the lagering cellars. The only plans I've seen show parking on that site. Berding alluded to a beer garden, but nothing more.

I thought I read somewhere that they are "using the cellars". that was a few days ago. I just thought it had to do with an on-site beer hall. 

7 hours ago, ucgrady said:

image.png.f8ad4a204354240e056540ae941c7b5c.png

I assume the Ballet would be where the 'Proposed Restaurant' is shown, and potentially extending into where the surface parking lot is shown. Basically they would re-purpose the train bridge as a pedestrian connection towards Reading Rd.

Using the old train bridge for pedestrian use is OK, but it doesn't solve the real problem which is the walk from there to the bell tower at 13th and Reading.  The traffic in that block of Reading  is very dangerous to pedestrians and bicyclists, and the sidewalks narrow.  

Right -- turning the rail bridge into a pedestrian bridge is a nice grand gesture and the administration will surely have a big ribbon cutting ceremony and say, "look how much we care about pedestrians!" But in order to make any real impact on the site's walkability, you need to make Elsinore Place and Reading Road way more pedestrian-friendly, which our current administration isn't going to be willing to do.

Elsinore could easily lose a lane each way and it would affect nothing, same with removing the two right turn slip lanes from Gilbert and onto I-71 north.  Reading is another story.  The side that actually has buildings fronting it has a total crap sidewalk with encroaching utility poles, overhead sign gantry foundations, and fire hydrants.  The east side on the other hand has a wide planting strip and tree line.  I can totally see the administration pulling an Eggleston and paving over that whole east side to make a crap shared use path and then getting all indignant when anyone points out that it doesn't fix the problem.  

32 minutes ago, oakiehigh said:

I would put money down that this bridge will be slated for demo when the time comes for ODOT to revamp this area of 71.

I'm not an engineer but is there any way to build some type of support columns/structure that would allow buildings to be built above 1-71? 

When I walk to Eden park from Pendleton,  From 13th and Reading, I cut in at the staples, then walk through the parking lot behind the parking garage and office building, which then drops me off at Elsinore right at the bridge over 71.

3 hours ago, troeros said:

I'm not an engineer but is there any way to build some type of support columns/structure that would allow buildings to be built above 1-71? 

It's all about the vision of local, regional, and state leaders and what they are willing to fight for. I-71 could get the Fort Washington Way treatment from the Lytle Tunnel to the Norwood Lateral -- sink the entire highway down into a channel and make it "cap-able". As demand warrants, cap it block by block. You could completely stitch Evanston, Hyde Park, Oakley, and Norwood back together into one seamless urban fabric and rebuild all of the streets that are currently severed by the highway.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, taestell said:

It's all about the vision of local, regional, and state leaders and what they are willing to fight for. I-71 could get the Fort Washington Way treatment from the Lytle Tunnel to the Norwood Lateral -- sink the entire highway down into a channel and make it "cap-able". As demand warrants, cap it block by block. You could completely stitch Evanston, Hyde Park, Oakley, and Norwood back together into one seamless urban fabric and rebuild all of the streets that are currently severed by the highway.

That would be an amazing $8-10 billion project

I-71 is already mostly below grade between McGregor and the Lateral, so you wouldn't really need to sink it to still have a lot of room to build over.  It would only peek above ground at Victory Parkway and around Dana and Smith-Edwards.  Between McGregor and the Lytle Tunnel however, that would be a massive undertaking. 

It would be outrageously expensive if you built it out all at once of course. I was thinking something more along the lines of the I-70 project in Denver, where they are tearing down the existing elevated highway and replacing it with a new highway built FWW-style, below grade. There is one "cap" as part of the initial project, but you can imagine that over the years it might make more and more sense to cap additional parts of it. Keep in mind that I-71 is about half as wide as Denver's I-70, pictured below.

I70-Trench.jpg

• Like 1

That's a half well done implementation. What's the point of a nice, large park with zero access? I don't see any crosswalks and the surrounding neighborhood is just as split in half by the park as by the highway. Perhaps they have plans to integrate and connect after this initial build out?

That's just a rendering that the state DOT put together, I imagine that there will be actual crosswalks built at cross streets so that the neighborhoods can actually access the park.

I'm not sure that any of this is technically possible.  The Lytle Tunnel is actually fairly high in "altitude".  I-71 would have to slope at a steeper angle than it does currently downward from Walnut Hills, dip significantly lower than it is currently where it is elevated above Eggleston (so 50~ feet lower than it is now), and then rise to enter the Lytle Tunnel, assuming it isn't rebuilt 50+ feet lower than it now exists.  

Is there any way to move the Lyte Tunnel I-71 lanes to the 471/50 junction? Especially if you removed the ramps connecting 5th street and 50? It's really tight around there, but there's gotta be a way to make it work.

If you can free up the tunnel, you might be able to run trains through it to the Riverfront Transit Center.  

14 hours ago, carnevalem said:

Is there any way to move the Lyte Tunnel I-71 lanes to the 471/50 junction? Especially if you removed the ramps connecting 5th street and 50? It's really tight around there, but there's gotta be a way to make it work.

If you can free up the tunnel, you might be able to run trains through it to the Riverfront Transit Center.  

Riverftont Transit Center, now theres a can of worms

FC Cincinnati lands key approvals for West End stadium

fccv1westendstadiumaerial-view-from-se-d

FC Cincinnati received unanimous approval on Friday morning for a major amendment to its concept plan as well as the final development plan for phase 1 of its $250 million West End stadium.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/09/13/fc-cincinnati-lands-key-approvals-for-west-end.html

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

FC Cincinnati provides peek into stadium suites

FC Cincinnati has launched sales of suites that will be located in the Major League Soccer team’s West End stadium that’s expected to open in 2021.

The stadium will include 54 traditional suites that can be reserved via a $10,000 refundable deposit. The spaces will be leased in five-, seven- and 10-year increments. Priority will be given to current season ticket members and team partners through Nov. 22.

To kick off the sales, FC Cincinnati shared renderings of what some of the suites will look like.

More below:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2019/10/04/fc-cincinnati-provides-peek-into-stadium-suites.html

suite-interior*1200xx4800-2700-0-0.jpg

"You don't just walk into a bar and mix it up by calling a girl fat" - buildingcincinnati speaking about new forumers

The quality looks nice but I was disappointed to see when I got the email how much of the seating is going to be club seating. It looked like around half to me if not more. This will drastically reduce affordability of games since they're also limiting the number of seats to 25k. We've had Bailey tickets since the beginning but will be moving to the old ga section due to ticket price increases.  Worried to see what it will be in the new stadium.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Good for them for using the leverage they have in controlling the narrative.  Any savvy business person would do the same thing.

• Like 2

Does anyone know what happened at the Historic Conservation Board meeting on Monday regarding the church at 1556 John?

I can't seem to find any info about what happened at the meeting. I can only find the agenda.

1 minute ago, ryanlammi said:

I can't seem to find any info about what happened at the meeting. I can only find the agenda.

that’s the way it is for every meeting. this is a huge flaw in the way HCB publishes information 

• Like 1

www.cincinnatiideas.com